A Youth Olympic Games?

I don´t know...

I think the IOC has to put very big effort in this games that thy become as big as the original olympics...

But a Youth Olympics are naturally never going to be as big as the main Games, so why would and why should the IOC spend their time, money and effort making an event into something it's not going to be?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if there has been something similar in other countries but in Italy we have had the Giochi della Gioventù (Youth Games) which were national games created in the '60 (also launched by the '68 young contests) which involved 11-15 years old students from all high-schools in Italy competing in Athletics, Cycling, Gym, Swimming, Volley, Basket and Skiing and then extended to other sports.

They were some huge and very important events which helped much to spread the sport culture across the country. They were very successful.

The peculiarities were:

1.The huge partecipation: from something about 5,000 athletes in the the finals (which generally took place in Rome) of the previous years to the 10,000 athletes competing in 50 sport disciplines of the last years.

2.The initial improvisation of the venues: it didn't care if there were or not the structures, some races were staged in fields or courtyards.

3.There were regional, provincial and local selections before reaching the finals

These Games were temporaly suspended by CONI some years ago for lack of founds but in it has been announced their recovery for 2007.

Well, to some who in the know here, Canada has what it calls "the Canada Games" since its first inception in 1967. That year, to Canadians, was the 100th anniversary of the Canadian confederation, which was highlighted by that year's World's Fair in Montreal. And, yes, it alternates every 2 years since 1967 between the summer and winter games. It is amazing that this event has been going on for 40 years now.

Edited by Guardian

In Mexico there's the National Olympiad, created in 1996 in an effort to find young promises. They are celebrated each year, with several states (usually 6 or 7) hosting around 40 sport disciplines in which athletes from 10 to 18 years compete by age categories. Also the Elite National Olympiad and the National Paralympics are celebrated each year.

• 1 month later...

It seems that the Youth Olympic Games will be the main topic for the upcoming IOC Session in Guatemala City. It will be interesting on how the IOC members will decide on how it will function against the other two Olympic Games and when, if the idea is approved, these new Games will make its debut.

Meanwhile, back at Guatemala City, it looks like Rogge got what he wanted with the Youth Games (apparently he missed out with 2014, though _ reports I read suggested he was pushing for PyeongChang):

GUATEMALA CITY, July 5 AP - Olympic leaders voted today to create a Youth Olympics meant to drag youngsters from computer screens and onto the playing fields.

The first is planned for 2010 for 3,500 athletes, aged 14 to 18.

It would be the first major global sports festival created by the International Olympic Committee since the advent of the Winter Games in 1924.

The program was approved unanimously by a show of hands.

IOC president Jacques Rogge said the games would inspire young people around the world to take up sports.

Details remained to be worked out, but the first event would take place during the northern hemisphere's summer. And with about a third of the 10,000 that compete during the regular Olympics, it would be possible for smaller countries to host the competition, Rogge said.

The initial youth winter games in 2012 would be open to about 1,000 athletes.

The site for the 2010 games will be chosen in February. Rogge said at least six countries already had expressed interest. The 2012 site will be picked by January 2009.

It wasn't clear if the games would be held according to an earlier proposal for youths from around the world to participate without flags or national uniforms - an idea backed by Britain's Princess Anne. Several IOC members questioned that plan on Thursday and Rogge indicated the question was open.

Without national identity, ``the media may lose interest and the governments may lose interest and the athletes themselves may lose interest,'' said Alex Gilady of Israel.

Rogge said all Olympic sports would be represented, but with fewer events. He also said some new, youth-oriented sports might be introduced.

To hold down costs, ``We will insist with the organising committees that no new infrastructure be built.''

Several IOC members said they were worried about the cost of the games.

``There will be a lot of overhead here,'' warned Dick Pound of Canada, who questioned whether the games would ``get one more person'' attracted to organised sport.

Rogge said the IOC could afford the cost, which he estimated at $US30 million ($A35 million) for the summer version and $US15 million ($A18 million) for the winter.

The modern Olympics, born with the 1896 Games, is associated with many other sports competitions, notably the Paralympic Games that are held in conjunction with the Olympics.

Several IOC members also questioned whether the new competition would clash with existing events such as the World University Games, but Rogge offered no immediate response.

The initial youth event also would be held in the same year as soccer's World Cup.

AP

Well, it looks like we'll have a new, unexpected bid campaign soon enough for these Youth Games. 2010 though? Aren't these off-summer games years already overcrowded with Winter Olympics, World Cup and Commonwealth Games?

Meanwhile, back at Guatemala City, it looks like Rogge got what he wanted with the Youth Games (apparently he missed out with 2014, though _ reports I read suggested he was pushing for PyeongChang):

Well, it looks like we'll have a new, unexpected bid campaign soon enough for these Youth Games. 2010 though? Aren't these off-summer games years already overcrowded with Winter Olympics, World Cup and Commonwealth Games?

I have to agree with the Israeli that no national identity will not fly.

Also how can cities use this to help their sports infrastructure if they aren't allowed to build things. Certain venues would be impossible to host, white water for instance.

I have to agree with the Israeli that no national identity will not fly.

Also how can cities use this to help their sports infrastructure if they aren't allowed to build things. Certain venues would be impossible to host, white water for instance.

Iy could be a way to give experienced Summer Games hosts a second bite at the cherry.

Well, I don't know about that, SR. I mean, what would the purpose of past Summer Olympics host city of hosting the Youth version of it, if they already had the glory of hosting the real thing? <_<

To me, I think the IOC will try to follow the Commonwealth Games Federation example, by giving the hosting rights of these Youth Games to places that may never get the chance to host the big ones.

To me, I think the IOC will try to follow the Commonwealth Games Federation example, by giving the hosting rights of these Youth Games to places that may never get the chance to host the big ones.

That may be difficult if they're going to insist on all venues in place and no new building works to be done.

That may be difficult if they're going to insist on all venues in place and no new building works to be done.

You mean, the IOC want to really use the IWGA's World Games example for the Youth Games? Interesting, considering that the IOC endorses the World Games in the first place.

You mean, the IOC want to really use the IWGA's World Games example for the Youth Games? Interesting, considering that the IOC endorses the World Games in the first place.

Well, that's what Rogge's explicitly said:

Rogge said all Olympic sports would be represented, but with fewer events. He also said some new, youth-oriented sports might be introduced.

To hold down costs, ``We will insist with the organising committees that no new infrastructure be built.''

Edited by Sir Roltel

I agree that the IOC should hold this at an odd-numbered year. It'll be hard for the participating countries, the IOC, media, etc whenever the youth Olympic games will coincide with the summer Olympic games (assuming that the youth games will be held during the summer, too).

Regarding the eligibility/qualification of athletes in the youth games, so does it mean that the participating countries will be sending their 'second-best' athletes? I'm thinking that these countries will send their best under-18 athletes in the 'adult' Olympic games. Again, this will be a concern if both of these games coincide with each other. I think that this youth Olympics will just end up as a training ground for four-year-interval Olympics.

I agree that the IOC should hold this at an odd-numbered year. It'll be hard for the participating countries, the IOC, media, etc whenever the youth Olympic games will coincide with the summer Olympic games (assuming that the youth games will be held during the summer, too).

Regarding the eligibility/qualification of athletes in the youth games, so does it mean that the participating countries will be sending their 'second-best' athletes? I'm thinking that these countries will send their best under-18 athletes in the 'adult' Olympic games. Again, this will be a concern if both of these games coincide with each other. I think that this youth Olympics will just end up as a training ground for four-year-interval Olympics.

2010 - Winter Olympic Games - Summer Olympic Youth Games

2012 - Summer Olympic Games - Winter Olympic Youth Games

They would've been pretty smart by moving the first editions to 2011 and 2013. Hardly any hindrance from major sporting events.

Anyway, I hope they do vote to use the same protocol basics of the grown-up version (with adequate adjustments), and completely drop out that no-nationality-distinction idea. It's these traditions that still make this event unique and attracts spectators.

I bet my country is one of those six bids...

What defines "youth"? I don't remember any geriatrics shushing down the slopes of Torino or clinging to walkers around the track in Athens. Or maybe I'm senile? But if you look at some sports like gymnastics, diving, swimming, snowboarding, figure skating and the like, there are a lot of under 20 year olds there. Also, kinda think it would be rather disturbing to watch children boxing (or maybe it would be funny). I just think it is a strange thing and kind of dilutes the Olympic brand.

I'm not a fan of "Youth Olympic Games" - what sports should be part of them?

e.g. Gymnastics - at the "normal Olympic Games" the women are more children - should 5-10 years old girls participate on the Gymnastics events at the Youth Olympic Games?

What is with the coaches? Are adult coaches allowed to help the little kids?

Are only kids allowed at the ceremonies? Are adults allowed to watch?

These questions sound a little bit silly first - but seriously who wants really to watch teens compete against each other?

The Philippines has the annual Palarong Pambansa (literally "The National Games"). It has two divisions running simultaneously: Elementary and Highschool. There is a bidding process and the athlete qualification is lengthy. Your school team/athlete has to win the city league then proceed to the provincial division. After that, you have to win the regional championships. Then you'll qualify for the Palaro (Games). Participating delegations are therefore regions, not provinces or cities. Sports include athletics, aquatics, volleyball, football, basketball, sepak takraw, gymnastics and tennis.

Getting to play at this level is very prestigious and helps gaining slots at senior national teams as well as college teams. The athletes here are excellent at their level. It's really a fun affair but the accomodations can be quite dreadful.

Singapore is one the six cities bidding ! This morning , the local newspaper , The Straits Times reported it . It feature 28 sports and feature athletes between 14-18 . The estimated cost is about USD$30 million . However , the IOC will pay for the Athletes travel cost , housing & medals - an estimated USD$12 Million in saving for the sucessful host city . Shortlisted candidate cities will announced to the coming months with the announcement of the successful host city with the announcement of the winning bidder in January 2008 . A games of such magnitude will suit S'pore fine . With the National stadium expected to be torn down next year , the Republic would be left without a 55'000 capacity stadium until 2011 when the sports hub in compeleted . However , Singapore's existing stadia - with an existing seating capacity of about 3000-4000 - are believed to be sufficient . The floating platform at Marina Bay also used for next year Singapore F1 Grand Prix with seating for 27 000 could be used for the opening & closing ceremonies . A temporary stadium made at the Padang with a capacity of 25 000 can also be used . With a maximun of 3200 athetes with compete in these games .

In my opinion , I think Singapore should bid of the 2014 Youth Games instead , we would have the new National stadium by then .