Chicago 2016

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about North South and East West Axis.

Meaning...if you are going to go to all the trouble of remaking, say, 75% of a stadium (which doesn't make sense -- I mean one part of the stadium will be of old materials and old plumbing & foundation, while the other 2/3rds will new)? then is it positioned correctly against the sun? As you are probably seeing right now in some of the World Cup matches, most of their stadia (at least the 2 or 3 matches I've seen) seem to be laid out on a north-south axis...optimally the best for on-site audiences as well as the turf-sun factor...but can be rather lousy for TV broadcasts.

So, moonraker, if in this meticulously rethought plan of yours, will a reconstruction fix or improve the sun alignment? That is my question. If you are going to spend another $200-300 million to do a medium-fix; then you might as well get it right?

As has been discussed before -- I think Ryan Field really seems too tight for the requirements of an Olympic stadium.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Mr. Olympics Guru;

The Atlanta 1996 Stadium was on the exact same directional axis as Ryan Field, and television seemed to deal with it just fine. I happen to think that a $300 million renovation of an existing stadium that will have a purpose after the Olympics would make more sense than building a $500 million stadium from scratch that will sit empty decades after the Olympics leave. The whole stadium was renovated in 1997, so its not some out of date, poorly maintained stadium. I suppose you could build a brand new stadium for Northwestern too, but that seems to be the only team that could even use a stadium right now, and thats a stretch. But, I would love to hear an alternative plan if you have one.

Well, Mr. Olympics Guru;

The Atlanta 1996 Stadium was on the exact same directional axis as Ryan Field, and television seemed to deal with it just fine. I happen to think that a $300 million renovation of an existing stadium that will have a purpose after the Olympics would make more sense than building a $500 million stadium from scratch that will sit empty decades after the Olympics leave. The whole stadium was renovated in 1997, so its not some out of date, poorly maintained stadium. I suppose you could build a brand new stadium for Northwestern too, but that seems to be the only team that could even use a stadium right now, and thats a stretch. But, I would love to hear an alternative plan if you have one.

I'm not criticizing your plan. All I'm saying & questioning is that -- if you've read previous discussion on it here -- (i) I still think the area around Ryan Field will be too small for the full needs of an Olympic Stadium; and (ii) if you're going to spend some $250-300 million, then I hope they get it right.

See discussion of the renovation of Berlin's Olympic Stadium, now in use for the WC, in the FIFA World CUp thread. The Germans spent around $250 million fixing and upgrading it -- but it seemed to be money well spent on a structure that already conforms to IOC/IAAF requirements -- not something that's jerry-rigged.

As for proposing other plans, I am not putting forward any city, so why should I proffer alternate plans? That's the candidate cities job to do; not mine. I am merely playing devil's advocate. And if you hang around here long enough, you'll discover that part of discussion covers finding the flaws of cities' plans because the one with the least flaws, has a better chance of winning.

Thanks for the title. I didn't ask for it; but I won't turn it down either. ;)

Why doesn't Chicago try something similar to what London is doing as far as an Olympic Stadium goes? As for the Ryan Field option, in addition to some of the technical deficiencies already mentioned, the stadium is in nearby Evanston. I would think the USOC and the IOC would want the main stadium in the actual bid city.

Ryan Field isn't going to happen. It was just renovated in the early '90's and because it is in the middle of a highly residential area with tight access to it, it would be a nightmare to hold t&f and ceremonies there.

The collapsable stadium concept along Lake Michigan was the surprise I had heard about awhile ago. B) Although I had heard it was going to be over on Meigs. As I suspected, I guess there isn't enough room over there.

London had floated the same idea in their 2012 bid before deciding to go with their current plan. Personally, I think knocking down the UGLY McCormick Place East, building a collapsable stadium there and then maybe keeping portions of it to use as say an outdoor theater or something would satisfy the lakefront preservationist and the IOC's legacy thingy.

From todays Chicago Tribune:

Daley to lead Olympic pitch

5 contenders make case in California

By Kathy Bergen

Tribune staff reporter

Published June 21, 2006

Mayor Richard Daley will take the lead in selling Chicago to the U.S. Olympic Committee on Friday as the organization holds a meeting in California to look at five possible contenders for hosting the 2016 Games.

"He will be part of the presentation," a spokeswoman for the mayor confirmed Tuesday.

In deciding whether to put forward a U.S. bid to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the USOC has requested information from five cities: Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Each of the five will make 15-minute private presentations to the USOC board of directors on Friday in La Jolla, Calif. They also are submitting written information this week on potential venues and proposed organizational models.

"We will be asking them to consider a number of very diverse options," a mayoral spokeswoman said Tuesday.

While Chicago has yet to make a final decision on whether to bid for the Summer Games, the fact that Daley is choosing to participate personally sends another signal of just how seriously he is weighing the option. The city declined to give specifics on the presentation before submitting the information to the USOC, noting it's a competitive situation.

"We don't want to show our cards," the spokeswoman said.

The city's biggest challenge will be figuring out how to provide a stadium with at least 80,000 seats to hold track and field events, and possibly opening and closing ceremonies. The renovated Soldier Field has only 61,500 seats, making it too small for track-and-field events.

A number of options have been talked about, either by the mayor or by local observers, ranging from temporary alterations to Soldier Field to construction of a temporary facility to use of university arenas in the region.

As it readies for the USOC meeting, the city also is getting very close to naming a panel of business and civic leaders to explore whether it makes economic sense for the city to pursue an Olympics bid.

Patrick G. Ryan, executive chairman of insurance behemoth Aon Corp. and a friend of the mayor's, last month was selected to head that group.

Making a bid can be expensive, and risky. New York City's corporate and civic donors spent $50 million on a run for the 2012 Olympics, only to lose to London last summer.

As it assesses the five cities, the USOC will look at each city's technical plans and "will also assess each city from an international perspective," said Bob Ctvrtlik, USOC vice president/international.

"If ultimately we elect to proceed with a U.S. bid for the 2016 Games, our key criteria for selecting a bid partner will be which city has the best chance of winning internationally--and that means the city that can perform best in strengthening our partnership with the international Olympic movement," he said in a recent prepared statement.

The USOC has not set a timetable for deciding whether to put forward a U.S. bid. The International Olympic Committee will select a host city in 2009.

An initial review started last month, when a USOC delegation traveled to each of the five cities to meet with leaders from the public and private sectors. Less than a week later, Daley traveled to China partly to get a look at Beijing's preparations for the 2008 Summer Games.

Does anyone know how public support for the 2016 olympics in chicago is? Are Chicagoans generally accepting the proposal or not? enthusiastically?

Daley's press briefing before meeting in La Jolla

"The mayor introduced members of a new evaluation committee and discussed a new poll that indicates 87 percent of Chicagoans surveyed thought Chicago will make a good host for the 2016 games, with 79 percent favorable to Chicago bidding for the games."

Patrick Ryan also said about the track and field stadium that they "have a very elegant solution." The reporter said that they didn't want to reveal any information about the solution before their meeting with the USOC, but would probably reveal info tommorow right after their meeting, so stay tuned!

Daley's press briefing before meeting in La Jolla

"The mayor introduced members of a new evaluation committee and discussed a new poll that indicates 87 percent of Chicagoans surveyed thought Chicago will make a good host for the 2016 games, with 79 percent favorable to Chicago bidding for the games."

Patrick Ryan also said about the track and field stadium that they "have a very elegant solution." The reporter said that they didn't want to reveal any information about the solution before their meeting with the USOC, but would probably reveal info tommorow right after their meeting, so stay tuned!

Wow.... I knew that Chicagoans were generally accepting abou tthe idea... but not that enthusiastically. That's great news to hear, especially after the new york debacle ("Huh? What Olympics?"). There's something else to add to Chicago's favor.

Wow.... I knew that Chicagoans were generally accepting abou tthe idea... but not that enthusiastically. That's great news to hear, especially after the new york debacle ("Huh? What Olympics?"). There's something else to add to Chicago's favor.

Some good potential corporate sponsors besides McDonalds, who is all over this, are also on board (and no I am not talking about Piper Rudnick, Northwestern or the Chicago Schools :P :

The list of executives and officials working on the city's committee include top people from Northwestern University, the Piper Rudnick Gray law firm, Chicago Public Schools, Allstate Corp., Boeing Co., Northern Trust Corp., Zenith Electronics Corp., Motorola Inc. and many others.

I know recently, 2002 i think, the USA dropped out of the BEI, so if Chicago gets the 2016 bid, what if they also brought a World's Fair too. I know they seem old fashioned and the combo of the two nearly cost the Olympics its very exsistence, but time have changed. Could the US once again enter the BEI and win a World's Fair for Chicago, and then the Olympics? So there'll be the 2 weeks of Olympics but sandwhiched by 2 months of a World Expo. I dunno.

If any city could do both it would be Chicago!

Knoxville '82 killed the World's Fair for America.

My point is another US city to host the games come on I think IOC will have Atlanta in their minds before picking another US city.

I think that the IOC members are perceptive enough to realize that just because a city is in the same country as a previous host does not mean that the resulting Games will be the same or have the same problems. Every host city has learned from the mistakes in Atlanta and they are unlikely to be repeated. Besides, I spent a few days at the Atlanta Games and managed to have a great time and not experience any of the negatives dwelled on by the media.

Chicago's Committee:

Chairman and CEO:

• Patrick Ryan, Executive Chairman, Aon Corporation

Co-Chairs:

• Richard M. Daley, Mayor, City of Chicago

• Rod Blagojevich, Governor, State of Illinois

- more -

Committee Members:

• John Anderson , President, Anderson Enterprises, LLC

• Mark A. Angelson, CEO, R.R. Donnelley

• Henry Bienen, President, Northwestern University

• Diane Simpson Bundy, 1988 Olympic Team Member, 2004 USA Gymnastic Hall of Fame

• Peter C.B. Bynoe, Partner, DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary US LLP

• Martin Cabrera, President and CEO, Cabrera Capital Markets, Inc.

• John A. Canning, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Madison Dearborn Partners, Inc.

• Lewis Collens, President, Illinois Institute of Technology

• Michelle L. Collins, Managing Director, Svoboda, Collins LLC

• James W. Compton, President and CEO, Chicago Urban League

• Cathy Couglin, President and CEO, SBC Midwest

• Susan Crown, Vice President, Henry Crown and Company

• William M. Daley, Chairman of the Midwest Region, JP Morgan Chase & Co.

• Deborah L. DeHaas, Vice Chairman and Regional Managing Partner, Deloitte & Touche USA LLP

• Arne Duncan, Chief Executive Officer, Chicago Public Schools

• W. James Farrell, Retired Chairman, Illinois Tool Works Inc.

• Michael W. Ferro, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Click Commerce

• Michael J. Garanzini, S. J., President, Loyola University Chicago

• King Harris, Chairman, Harris Holdings, Inc.; Chairman, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

• Rev. Dennis Holtschneider, C.M., President, DePaul University

• Ned Jannotta, Jr., Managing Principal, GTCR

• Valerie Jarrett, Managing Director, The Habitat Company

• Michael Krasny, Former Chairman, CEO and Founder, CDW

• Jack Lavin, Director, Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity

• Edward M. Liddy, Chairman and CEO, The Allstate Corporation

• John W. Madigan, Former Chairman and CEO, Tribune Company

• Bill Martin, Athletic Director, University of Michigan, Former USOC Board Member and Budget Committee Member[/b]

• Nikki McCray, Chicago Sky guard and Olympic Gold Medalist

• Andrew J. McKenna, Chairman, McDonald’s Corporation

• Andrew J. McKenna, Jr., President, Schwarz

• W. James McNerney, Jr., CEO, The Boeing Company

• Harry “Buddy” Melges, Olympic Gold and Bronze Medal Winner; Chairman, Melges Boat Company

• Charles Middleton, President, Roosevelt University

• Mark H. Murphy, Director of Athletics, Northwestern University

• William A. Osborn, Chairman and CEO, Northern Trust Corporation

• Jerry K. Pearlman, Former Chairman, Zenith Electronics Corporation

-more-

• Penny Pritzker, President and CEO, Pritzker Realty Group, L.O.

• J. Christopher Reyes, Chairman, Reyes Holdings

• John W. Rogers, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Ariel Capital Management, LLC

• Manuel “Manny” Sanchez, Managing Partner, Sanchez & Daniels

• William H. Scherr, 1988 Bronze Medal Winner; Vice President Private Wealth Management, Goldman Sachs

• Michael Scott, President, Chicago Board of Education

• Louis B. Susman, Vice Chairman, Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.

• Arthur R. Velasquez, Chairman, President and CEO, Azteca Foods, Inc.

• Marilee Stepan Wehman, Olympic Medalist

• Larry Wert, President and General Manager, NBC 5 Chicago

• B. Joseph White, President, University of Illinois

• Kevin M. White, Director of Athletics, University of Notre Dame

• Miles D. White, Chairman and CEO, Abbott

• Edward J. Zander, Chairman and CEO, Motorola, Inc.

• Robert Zimmer, Incoming President, University of Chicago

I am curious to the degree of elegance that the committee has approached their stadium problem.

This is the Evaluation Committee, which is different from sponsorship. United is still emerging from bankruptcy and has numerous more pressing issues to worry about than evaluating a possible Olympic bid. If Chicago were to be chosen, I imagine UAL would jump on board, but frankly right now, with their record over the past several years, I don't mind them being absent. Chicago has enough successful corporations on the committee to make a worthwhile evaluation and bid.

That reply was suppossed to be in response to Koolshundle's comment. Stupid interface. <_<

Archived