Chicago 2016

I was watching the CBS local news tonight in Chicago, and their was a lengthy story on the presentation today in La Jolla. The correspondent who was in La Jolla said that sources are saying that the city was presented a plan for the largest the stadium in olympic history.

Seems fitting, as Chicago created the skyscraper and has been one of the major architectural capitals of the world since then.

Also it seems as if the city is going for a very compact plan as well, it seems as if the 90% of the athletes will be 5 miles away from the stadium or less.

I was watching the CBS local news tonight in Chicago, and their was a lengthy story on the presentation today in La Jolla. The correspondent who was in La Jolla said that sources are saying that the city was presented a plan for the largest the stadium in olympic history.

Seems fitting, as Chicago created the skyscraper and has been one of the major architectural capitals of the world since then.

Also it seems as if the city is going for a very compact plan as well, it seems as if the 90% of the athletes will be 5 miles away from the stadium or less.

I'm sorry I wrote that stat from what I got from the newscast... online this is what it says.... 71 percent of athletes will be within a mile of their venue, and 88 percent within five miles.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_174173145.html

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sources & full stories, Chicago-supporters, please. You're only giving us bits and pieces. Where are the details on the 'elegant' stadium? But from the Exploratory Board that I see, I am impressed. It almost seems like top heavy -- and meant to smother the competition.

Re United Airlines. United has always had the inside track with the USOC. It was the Official AIrline in 1984; and then stayed on to be the USOC Official Domestic carrier -- until 1996 of course, when Delta, Atlanta's own, had to have the international category (and kept some arrangement with Salt Lake, but to a lesser degree).

However, because United (& AMerican and even Delta) have all had to file bankruptcy and are all struggling to stay alive, I think United pulled back temporarily from its USOC sponsorship. But if Chicago will go to the head of the line -- then United might return. The funny thing I heard the other day, though, is that United is considering moving its headquarters to San Francisco instead -- what with its Pacific routes doing very well. Well, if so, and SF makes a strong Olympic showing, then United seems well poised to return to its Official US Olympic Carrier status. Or maybe Virgin Atlantic, too, which is now based in SFO as well.

Sources & full stories, Chicago-supporters, please. You're only giving us bits and pieces. Where are the details on the 'elegant' stadium?

Apparently the USOC told Chicago and the other cities to keep quiet for the time being. <_<

I am shocked, shocked, shocked, however that I was not asked to be on Chicago's committee! :angry: Don't these people know that I am the official spokesmodel for Chicago 2016 on Gamesbids? :P

Apparently the USOC told Chicago and the other cities to keep quiet for the time being. <_<

I am shocked, shocked, shocked, however that I was not asked to be on Chicago's committee! :angry: Don't these people know that I am the official spokesmodel for Chicago 2016 on Gamesbids? :P

Yeah but you live out West. It would be a helluva commute to make their meetings. :D

Yeah but you live out West. It would be a helluva commute to make their meetings. :D

I know - dammit! I should never have sold my condo in Edgewater :rolleyes:

Re: the majority of the venues being within a mile of the lake. Are we to conclude then that the land that stretches from McCormick Place East south along Lake Shore Drive where that housing project used to be at around 22nd St? Or will they head west towards University Village around the old Maxwell St. market?

Sources & full stories, Chicago-supporters, please. You're only giving us bits and pieces. Where are the details on the 'elegant' stadium? But from the Exploratory Board that I see, I am impressed. It almost seems like top heavy -- and meant to smother the competition.

Re United Airlines. United has always had the inside track with the USOC. It was the Official AIrline in 1984; and then stayed on to be the USOC Official Domestic carrier -- until 1996 of course, when Delta, Atlanta's own, had to have the international category (and kept some arrangement with Salt Lake, but to a lesser degree).

However, because United (& AMerican and even Delta) have all had to file bankruptcy and are all struggling to stay alive, I think United pulled back temporarily from its USOC sponsorship. But if Chicago will go to the head of the line -- then United might return. The funny thing I heard the other day, though, is that United is considering moving its headquarters to San Francisco instead -- what with its Pacific routes doing very well. Well, if so, and SF makes a strong Olympic showing, then United seems well poised to return to its Official US Olympic Carrier status. Or maybe Virgin Atlantic, too, which is now based in SFO as well.

There's a feeling that United announcing that they are considering moving their HQ outside of Chicagoland is just a ploy in order to get a good deal and some tax benefits from the city of Chicago in order to move their HQ to the Loop, and out of Elk Grove Village. They've announce that they're considering Denver, San Fran, and Chicago for the move.

Barron, he's your source about Chicago wanting to build the biggest stadium in modern olympic history (capacity wise):

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-oly24.html

OK, thanks. But it still doesn't really clue us into what bricks-&-mortar edifice Chicago will put up. This 'thousands of seats' more really isn't anything new. The IOC cautioned Sydney from going over 80,000 seats in their Telstra Stadium; yet Sydney went ahead and built 100,000 seats (which filled up for the Ceremonies indeed -- and which they needed for Birch's spectacular cauldron scenario), but afterwards -- it was the IOC saying: I told ya so...when there were woes and hand-wringing from Sydney saying that they couldn't fill the stadium for subsequent events. Obviously, Chicago didn't do their homework.

So this "thousands-of-seats-more" spiel isn't special and doesn't really sell it for me.

There's a feeling that United announcing that they are considering moving their HQ outside of Chicagoland is just a ploy in order to get a good deal and some tax benefits from the city of Chicago in order to move their HQ to the Loop, and out of Elk Grove Village. They've announce that they're considering Denver, San Fran, and Chicago for the move.

Barron, he's your source about Chicago wanting to build the biggest stadium in modern olympic history (capacity wise):

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-oly24.html

I definately think you are right about this point...thousands of seats more in this case really isn't a booster, and in fact could become somewhat of an issue during the bid after similar problems as cited by Baron have occured with past host cities during and after the Games from such excess....

I also believe that by having tjousands of extra seats, that really doesn't quell anyone's concern over where this stadium will be situated exactly, as well as if it will be that brand NEW state of the art stradium that everyone (botht he USOC and IOC) will be looking for, which will likely be the major determining factor in both the domestic and international races for 2016....

I think that the IOC members are perceptive enough to realize that just because a city is in the same country as a previous host does not mean that the resulting Games will be the same or have the same problems. Every host city has learned from the mistakes in Atlanta and they are unlikely to be repeated. Besides, I spent a few days at the Atlanta Games and managed to have a great time and not experience any of the negatives dwelled on by the media.

This is the same IOC has yet to set real reforms?

The Chicago Tribune article in today's paper offers a bit more info, but says that the USOC asked that the details be kept private.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...,1,212660.story

An excerpt:

Chicago kept most details of its plan under wraps, but it gave hints that a focal point of the games, a track-and-field venue that must seat at least 75,000, would be located near downtown.

Given the expected use of Soldier Field and McCormick Place as other venues, the site is very likely to be south of Soldier Field.

Segobiano suggested that whatever stadium is built for the Games may not remain in that form afterward. Such a plan would not be unprecedented. Parts of the main Olympic stadium in Atlanta for the 1996 Summer Games were razed after the Games concluded, and what remained became part of Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves baseball team.

"We need to build a track-and-field facility, and it will be state-of-the-art, world-class," said Segobiano. "When the Olympics are over, part of the facility will be left as a legacy to the Olympic Games and to track and field."

Many of the Olympic facilities would be geographically compact, Segobiano said, which would be a big selling point to Olympic officials.

In a press conference, Mayor Richard Daley declined to flesh out the "elegant solution" for a venue to accommodate track and field and the opening and closing ceremonies, which he had alluded to on Thursday. Daley and other officials also declined to divulge other details about event venues or the Olympic Village, citing both the competitive situation and a request from the USOC.

Well the articles say that it will be in the City so I suggest you make your reservations at either the W on Lake Shore Drive or the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive. :)

But I am sure that a soccer match will be held in Champaign so you can stay at my parents house. Although my mother doesn't cook so you'd be on your own.

As for the additional seating - that is temporary. They are not going to build a new permanent stadium the size of Telstra. They will probably do as Atlanta and London in building something to appease the IOC for the duration of the games and then modify it later but leave some sort of legacy thingy.

A brilliant idea IMHO. The IOC is obviously agreeable to a temporary solution as they have shown with London.

And if anyone has been to Chicago they know that it is known for it's tremendous architecture so it won't be some tin can erected. Whatever part is kept after the games will no doubt be an architectural masterpiece.

My point is another US city to host the games come on I think IOC will have Atlanta in their minds before picking another US city.

Um, Canda will have been given the games twice after the 1976 debacle.

LA, Atlanta and Salt Lake were all financially succesful and didn't experience the "empty seat" syndrome that Athens and Torino did. And they all made money.

So yes - they will come back to the U.S. <_<

Well the articles say that it will be in the City so I suggest you make your reservations at either the W on Lake Shore Drive or the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive. :)

But I am sure that a soccer match will be held in Champaign so you can stay at my parents house. Although my mother doesn't cook so you'd be on your own.

As for the additional seating - that is temporary. They are not going to build a new permanent stadium the size of Telstra. They will probably do as Atlanta and London in building something to appease the IOC for the duration of the games and then modify it later but leave some sort of legacy thingy.

A brilliant idea IMHO. The IOC is obviously agreeable to a temporary solution as they have shown with London.

And if anyone has been to Chicago they know that it is known for it's tremendous architecture so it won't be some tin can erected. Whatever part is kept after the games will no doubt be an architectural masterpiece.

Um, Canda will have been given the games twice after the 1976 debacle.

LA, Atlanta and Salt Lake were all financially succesful and didn't experience the "empty seat" syndrome that Athens and Torino did. And they all made money.

So yes - they will come back to the U.S. <_<

In the official reports their is no detail financial statements, after all accounting is the greatest fiction of all. So if you inculde from the first day when they subbmitted their bid books to a year after they handed in their reports they made money? Every dollar is accounted for and that also includes the money to take care of the Olympic family? Sorry the Olympic don't make money by the way Calgray lost money and Van 2010 is asking for more taxpapers dollars. Some are already calling a review of Van 2010 statements. Atlanta destroyed a lot of documents during the scandal. Their no way to Atlanta's books.

The Olympics don't make money.

olympikfan

The Olympics don't make money.

olympikfan

First off, welcome to the boards.

There was no scandal with Atlanta - that was Salt Lake. Nevertheless, Please post proof of your assertions.

Please read the end financial results of the Los Angeles, Atlanta and Salt Lakes games and then get back to me. And since the man in charge of the USOC now was the only man in Olympic history that produced the only huge profits I don't think we have to worry about the U.S.'s next SOG being a flop.

Good night and good luck. B)

First off, welcome to the boards.

There was no scandal with Atlanta - that was Salt Lake. Nevertheless, Please post proof of your assertions.

Please read the end financial results of the Los Angeles, Atlanta and Salt Lakes games and then get back to me. And since the man in charge of the USOC now was the only man in Olympic history that produced the only huge profits I don't think we have to worry about the U.S.'s next SOG being a flop.

Good night and good luck. B)

The Great Olympic Swindle - by Andrew Jennings Chp 8 "How Atlanta got the Games"

olympikfan

The Great Olympic Swindle - by Andrew Jennings Chp 8 "How Atlanta got the Games"

olympikfan

I looked up the statement. WOW one page and it starts at 1991. The final statment was made in 1997, but what about 96,95,94,93,92,91,90 and even before they got the games 89. Where is the money?

So you mean that from 1990 to 1997 the amount of money that was spent on Atlanta was made up in two weeks in July of 96? Want more?

By the way, what did Samarach say at the closing ceremoies about Atlanta?

olympikfan

I looked up the statement. WOW one page and it starts at 1991. The final statment was made in 1997, but what about 96,95,94,93,92,91,90 and even before they got the games 89. Where is the money?

So you mean that from 1990 to 1997 the amount of money that was spent on Atlanta was made up in two weeks in July of 96? Want more?

By the way, what did Samarach say at the closing ceremoies about Atlanta?

olympikfan

Uhmmm...

#1 - I don't think Mr. Jennings has a following at all.versio

#2 - What are you doing on these boards?

#3 - Of the last 3 American Olympics, Atlanta made the least money -- a profit of a little over $10 million, but NONETHELESS it still made money. It did not leave a hole in the pocket of Atlantans and Georgians. As a matter of fact, it left Atlanta and Georgia with many facilities that they have continued to use over and over again.

I don't know where you're from, but LA, Atlanta, and Salt Lake were all privately organized Games vs. gov't funded Games in other countries. So, the fact that these were privately organized events -- then the AUDITING is even more stringent. We do NOT cook up the books like Beijing or Athens. There is accountability; and heads roll if there are discrepancies.

Do you really think the Olympics would be where they are today without the financial creativity put on by Mr. Ueberroth and his running of the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

Well, you do appear to be a very negative person wanting to write your own version of history. So believe what you want.

where's United Airlines on that list? what happened to being "Chicago's Hometown Airline"?

If Chicago does become the US bid city United will probably jump in. Right now I think they may be holding off due to what Barron noted.........that United is considering moving it's headquarters to San Francisco or Denver. Over on Airliners.net the speculation over United threatening to move to S.F. or Denver is so Chicago can give them a better deal on some office space downtown or something like that.

Either way United or American will be big sponsors in a Chicago bid, considering they bot have significant traffic at O'Hare.

Uhmmm...

#1 - I don't think Mr. Jennings has a following at all.versio

#2 - What are you doing on these boards?

#3 - Of the last 3 American Olympics, Atlanta made the least money -- a profit of a little over $10 million, but NONETHELESS it still made money. It did not leave a hole in the pocket of Atlantans and Georgians. As a matter of fact, it left Atlanta and Georgia with many facilities that they have continued to use over and over again.

I don't know where you're from, but LA, Atlanta, and Salt Lake were all privately organized Games vs. gov't funded Games in other countries. So, the fact that these were privately organized events -- then the AUDITING is even more stringent. We do NOT cook up the books like Beijing or Athens. There is accountability; and heads roll if there are discrepancies.

Do you really think the Olympics would be where they are today without the financial creativity put on by Mr. Ueberroth and his running of the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

Well, you do appear to be a very negative person wanting to write your own version of history. So believe what you want.

i agree with you

i agree with you

First of all I am bring facts to this forum I believe that it is very important that every should know about the other side of the olympics. And the I think that P. Ueberroth should be the IOC Prez.

You put down that Atlanta made 10 million dollars does that include the 180 millions that they got from the US goverment? Was it paid back? Don't cook the books (ERON) yeah your right. Salt Lake also got money from the Feds.

This should be a leeson to Chicago.

Let me know if you want more facts?

olympikfan

Without being too presumptuous, picking your best horse has a lot to do with knowing the other competitors. Is there any better insight as to who internationally a US Host City would need to beat? The US PR problem aside, which will hopefully improve with 6 months of a new Presidential administration by the Summer of 2009, we still need to compete among other cities. I have heard the arguments about needing to come back to North America in 2016, but I'd like to take nothing for granted.

P.S, United Airlines has engaged The Staubach Company in Chicago to represent them in handling thier HQ move. Economic Incentive shopping is part of that process. They have significant Terminal Committments to O'Hare that are cost questions that go far beyond the Corp HQ equation.

P.S, United Airlines has engaged The Staubach Company in Chicago to represent them in handling thier HQ move. Economic Incentive shopping is part of that process. They have significant Terminal Committments to O'Hare that are cost questions that go far beyond the Corp HQ equation.

I think we can count San Fran out of the United hunt picture for now. While it would be great for them to be HQTR'ed here, the cost of residential real estate in the Bay Area -- even though prices have stabilized a bit -- would still be a deterrent. United'll probably stay in Chicago, or if at all, Denver.

United is using this whole thing as a ploy to get a deal like Boeing did when it moved to Chicago. They just want to sell their Elk Grove property and get huge tax incentives to hq in the Loop. <_<

I'm starting to feel like Mr. X with all my postings and pictures :P

Rumored Chicago Plan

So I was right - they are going to head down towards that land where the old housing projects used to be along Lake Shore Drive.

The idea of a promenade/park between Soldier Field and McCormick Place east is brilliant. Especially if they eventually tear down Lakeside Center and turn that back into park land, which the city has wanted to do for a long time. I vidualize something like the Coliseum's peristyle with a permanatly attached cauldron but mimicking Soldier Fields columns.

oly_062706_285.gif

Archived