Chicago 2016

actually Chicago is a safe place, and on top of that I would suggest looking at the crime statistics of past and want to be Olympic host cities, and then get back to me and try to make your obviously bias and ridiculous comment....you have a very slanted and warped view of things on here

Actually, crime statistics don't matter a lot when these int'l organizations choose their host cities. Barcelona had its 'Las Ramblas' problem to deal with. (But no biggie, it was El Jefe's hometown.) Atlanta was actually dealing with an unofficial 'Murder Capital of the US' title when it was picked in 1990. Italy and South Africa have had to thwart their 'crime' reputations when picked for their 1990 and 2010 WC turns respectively. Inspite of everything, these cities/countries still won.

The reality of the situation is that when the events come around, the host throws all its secruity forces at the event; the locales are swept clean of most criminal elements; the event goes on. And when the circus leaves town, everything returns to normal. So, olym-NITTY-PICKYfan, you'll have to find another area to nit-pick. :rolleyes:

Let's see, what's left? How about the quality of the food concessions at the various venues? Yes, nobody has explored that yet, olympikfan. That's virgin territory where you might do your Erin Brokovich-part very well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole argument of crime is really a waste of time. Every big city is going to have it's bad parts, some more than others. I'm sure most people in Britain will agree that there are just some parts of London you just don't want to go to. Did that stop the IOC from selecting them last year?

Los Angeles and Sydney, two cities that hosted great Olympics, have there bad parts of town.

Well, if crime is going to be a factor then we should also think about terrorist activities as well.

Therefore New York and Madrid should automatically be eliminated from any future bids. Munich - no way - can't have a repeat of that! And as for London - we'd better take those away as well. <_<

Give me a break . . .

Well I'm off to City Hall. I need to convinve tMayor Richie that chartreuse and hot pink should only be used for the Gay Games banners, and not for the 2016 bid logo . . . :blink::D

Well, if crime is going to be a factor then we should also think about terrorist activities as well.

Therefore New York and Madrid should automatically be eliminated from any future bids. Munich - no way - can't have a repeat of that! And as for London - we'd better take those away as well. <_<

Give me a break . . .

Well I'm off to City Hall. I need to convinve tMayor Richie that chartreuse and hot pink should only be used for the Gay Games banners, and not for the 2016 bid logo . . . :blink::D

You forgot Atlanta. Would you like to compare both Cities Chicago to Madrid and even London. I don't know if you know this but the UK is a much safer country than the US.

Yes, Atlanta as well. And I forgot Tokyo with that unfortunate gassing incident several years ago. <_< Oh, and Mexico - the Dirty War happened right when the games started!

So I guess about the only place that is capable of hosting, using your criteria, is Bora Bora :lol:

Anyway, back to reality now.

Well I got Richie straightened out on the color of the bid logo so the entire city owes me a debt of gratitude. He sends his love to the GB'ers.

Wasn't able to hook up with my friend over at City Hall so 'fraid I don't have any earth shattering news to share.

Yes, Atlanta as well. And I forgot Tokyo with that unfortunate gassing incident several years ago. <_< Oh, and Mexico - the Dirty War happened right when the games started!

So I guess about the only place that is capable of hosting, using your criteria, is Bora Bora :lol:

Anyway, back to reality now.

Well I got Richie straightened out on the color of the bid logo so the entire city owes me a debt of gratitude. He sends his love to the GB'ers.

Wasn't able to hook up with my friend over at City Hall so 'fraid I don't have any earth shattering news to share.

Any idea when the USOC will officially launch the competition?

We're getting bored around here. I need to talk about SOMETHING :(

Bora-Bora is not clean either. Remember that's where Sweetheart #1, Oksana bin Ladin, is 'hiding.' So, very possibly, you could stage a Games there that will not get hit by al Qaeda, but will be pounded by the legitimate coalition forces!! :lol:

Chicago's now playing another ace in its hand _ the Gay Games!

Gay Games a test for Olympics, Daley says

Weeklong event includes 33 venues

By Josh Noel

Tribune staff reporter

Published July 11, 2006

Saying gay people "have made what Chicago is all about," Mayor Richard Daley welcomed the Gay Games to the city Monday and said the event could let Chicago show that it deserves to host the 2016 Olympics.

Flanked at Roosevelt University by city leaders, Daley reiterated his support of gay marriage and called gay people--and the Gay Games--key parts of the city's economic and social engines.

"We're very proud of the gay community in our city," he said. "Every quality-of-life issue, the gay community has stepped forward as great leaders, and this is another example."

The weeklong event, expected to draw nearly 12,000 athletes from 65 countries, will be staged in 33 venues across Chicago and the suburbs, beginning Saturday and ending with closing ceremonies at Wrigley Field on July 22. Daley said he would attend opening ceremonies at Soldier Field.

The event could prove to the world that Chicago would be a fit host for the 2016 Olympics, he said, by demonstrating its ability to stage a major athletic competition across a wide area while coordinating police, fire and emergency medical services.

"Gay Games is like a preliminary for the Olympics," he said. "It's like a showcase for it."

Police Supt. Philip Cline wouldn't discuss details of Gay Games security but said it will be similar to staffing for other major events, such as the Taste of Chicago.

Protesters "who wish to express their 1st Amendment rights" will be guided to designated areas during opening and closing ceremonies, he said.

"We do not anticipate any problems, and have not received any information to indicate that an attempt to disrupt the games is in the works," Cline said.

But officials said they expect protesters.

"Our answer to them is that we are a strong, vital part of this city," said Kevin Boyer, co-vice chairman of the Gay Games Chicago board. "We play a role in the economic, political and social vitality of Chicago, and we're ecstatic to be in a place where we are welcomed by every facet of life."

Peter LaBarbera, executive director of the Illinois Family Institute, said his organization will likely pass out literature at the opening ceremony but won't stage a vociferous protest.

Chicago Tribune

Ha! SF would say: it started here! Furthermore, SF has the first Gay Marriage (& Divorce) Games!!! :lol:

But seriously, if SF's Stadium plan and the Hunter's Point location come thru, then Chicago can only beat it by building a more super-duper stadium!!

So, you're a bit more bullish on SF now that they've actually spelled out some plans?

So, you're a bit more bullish on SF now that they've actually spelled out some plans?

Yeah. And some of the troublesome supes seem to be on the same boat -- so, it's looking a bit brighter now. But we/they're still short of 1 or 2 major stadia within SF proper to stage one of the marquee sports (gymnastics, basketball or swimming). Maybe they'll hassle Bill Gates/Warren Buffett to cough up some $$.

Of course, Rhythmic Gymnastics will definitely be in my living room! :lol:

Yeah. And some of the troublesome supes seem to be on the same boat -- so, it's looking a bit brighter now. But we/they're still short of 1 or 2 major stadia within SF proper to stage one of the marquee sports (gymnastics, basketball or swimming). Maybe they'll hassle Bill Gates/Warren Buffett to cough up some $$.

Of course, Rhythmic Gymnastics will definitely be in my living room! :lol:

Hmmmm - I've ben out of town so apparently missed news about SF. Or did you go and have lunch with The Gav and get the inside scoop?

Archived