2022 World Games - Birmingham, Alabama

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Omg i set my alarm to 4:30am only to get up to watch the opening ceremony finding out that I have stuffed up my timezones and it hasn’t started . It starts 11am Melbourne time yeah? 

yeah

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Is there anywhere to find a replay of the ceremony? I had to work during the day yesterday so was unable to watch

https://olympics.com/en/video/opening-ceremony-the-world-games-2022-birmingham

The ceremony starts at the 43:30 mark, anything before that is just a highlights montage of the previous World Games in Wroclaw.

In case anybody is wondering, Russia and Belarus are both banned here in Birmingham following the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Russia was originally set to send 62 qualified athletes under the ROC banner with Belarus sending 11. That ROC now-at-the-moment-moot penalty obviously extends to through end of 2022 and would have been applied to events affiliated with the International Olympic Committee, such as The World Games.

COVID makes its World Games debut on Day 5 of competition

Germany withdraw from World Games flag football competition due to COVID-19 outbreak

Germany has withdrawn from the men's flag football tournament at the Birmingham 2022 World Games after reporting five positive COVID-19 cases in its camp, it has been confirmed.

The country was scheduled to play against the United States today at Legion Field but the hosts will now progress to the semi-finals.

Out of the five cases, three are athletes, according to the International Federation of American Football (IFAF).

It has also been confirmed by the IFAF that all affected individuals are now self-isolating within the Athlete Village in line with the Games' protocols and close contacts have been notified.

The only other impact on the schedule was a classification match which has also been cancelled.

The loser of the quarter-final fixture was set to feature in that game.

"We are very disappointed for team Germany and send our best wishes to those affected for a speedy recovery, and to all the players whose tournament has ended prematurely," said IFAF President Pierre Trochet.

"We are confident in the measures implemented by the Local Organising Committee to ensure this outbreak is monitored and contained - and that the tournament will continue as scheduled."

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1125616/germany-covid19-flag-football-birmingham

Well today it all comes to an end.

Closing Ceremony is scheduled for 8 PM CDT [6 PM PDT / 9 PM EDT], and will feature a wide variety of artists including none other than Lionel Richie, who also closed out the LA84 Olympics. There will also be the flag handover from Birmingham to Chengdu, hosts of TWG2025.

The ceremony will be streamed on the Olympic Channel, with broadcast starting ~50 minutes prior to show what I assume will be a highlights reel of the past 10 days.

8 hours ago, ulu said:

I don't even think I saw Australian media report about it. Did we even send a team?

When does OZ NOT send a team??  

Also, if this was the only outcome -- then, it was well worth it:  
World Games 2022 donates $54,000 to support Ukrainian athletes and sport (insidethegames.biz)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...