Toronto City Council Overwhelming Votes On 2024 Summer Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Next thing you know, Canada may want to bid for the 2026 World Cup, a Commonwealth Games and possibly another Winter Olympics on top of all that. That could be a bit much, but it is not impossible to do all that, if Canadians can handle that kind of workload.

Well an 80,000 seat stadium in downtown Toronto will certainly not hurt a 2006 FIFA World Cup bid.

An announcement being only 5 years will focus the minds of Paris or CapeTown/Durban/Johannesburg as to whether they can afford to host what is rapidly becoming a $10bn event.

As for a future Winter Games, I can't see Quebec getting that before 2034, at which point they might have sorted their 'mountain' question, whilst you can see the 2022 Commonwealth Games going to South Africa.

2024 might become a North American showdown

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next thing you know, Canada may want to bid for the 2026 World Cup, a Commonwealth Games and possibly another Winter Olympics on top of all that. That could be a bit much, but it is not impossible to do all that, if Canadians can handle that kind of workload.

Wasn't around for 1976 summer games but if it took 30 years to pay off maybe not that successful. 2010 was alrit besides the death and the lack of snow problem before the games. They could easily do a comm games. World cup no way i'd be another 2022 Australia they aren't that great at soccer and aren't able to buy off FIFA like Qatar. So they'd probably not get many votes but still good luck to 2024

The 1976 Olympics in Montreal had it's own problems due to worker strikes (which cost them a lot of valuable construction days), the rising cost of raw materials during that period and of course the overall complex design of key Olympic venues including the Olympic Stadium (which wasn't even finished in time).

A Toronto Olympics won't experience this. Sure there will inevidibly be cost blowouts, but things will be finished well before the games begin.

I'm most curious about how an Istanbul 2020 win would impact the summer host cities for the rest of the 20s. IMO, the implications of the other two are pretty clear: if Madrid wins, then South Africa will get 2024 and Asia OR North America will get 2028, or vice versa. If Tokyo wins, then Europe will get 2024 (I just don't think the IOC will go 16 years between Games in Europe) and South Africa will get 2028. Of course, this assumes that South Africa will be able to launch a capable bid.

I'm not sure how an Istanbul win would be perceived, though. Would it eliminate a realistic chance for Asia for the rest of the 20s? Would it eliminate Europe for the rest of the 20s? Or would it be considered a win for the Middle East and therefore keep both Europe and Asia in play for 2024 and/or 2028? Either way, I think the best chance for a North American Games in the 20s is if Madrid wins; otherwise, I think the 20s will be wrapped up by South Africa and Europe/Asia.

I think that an Istanbul bid would jeopardize an African bid.

2 risky locations, rio was least ranked as is Istanbul hence risky and Africa would be pretty risky too. Although Africa is due for a games.

The 1976 Olympics in Montreal had it's own problems due to worker strikes (which cost them a lot of valuable construction days), the rising cost of raw materials during that period and of course the overall complex design of key Olympic venues including the Olympic Stadium (which wasn't even finished in time).

A Toronto Olympics won't experience this. Sure there will inevidibly be cost blowouts, but things will be finished well before the games begin.

You are so smart seriously thank you for explaining it to me :)

I didn't think about the pan am games which would benefit the sport experience of the city.

But the problem is I can see the USOC sooking again if they do bid for 2024 and lose again.

I can't see it going down to well with them and a future bid with the public support showing they have lost 100 million on failed bids

I think that an Istanbul bid would jeopardize an African bid.

2 risky locations, rio was least ranked as is Istanbul hence risky and Africa would be pretty risky too. Although Africa is due for a games.

I think you'll find Istanbul was ranked above Madrid and just below Tokyo.

It still amazes me that people think Istanbul is risky. Granted it has not held a 2 week multi sport event but few cities have. Over the last few years Istanbul has hosted a very large number of major European and World Sporting events, and has some of the best stadiums in Europe if not the World, for athletics, football and indoor events.

It has held a Champions League Final, A FIBA World Championship and a World Indoor Athletics Championships ... in the last 5 years, all successfully. They have an 75,000 seat Olympic stadium, two football stadiums of 50,000+ one of which has a sliding roof and 4 major indoor arenas of capacity between 12,000 and 22,000 seats. Risk is often associated with the construction of venues and cost overruns .... well Tokyo is riskier because they don't even have their main stadium built yet.

Likewise why is Rio or South Africa risky? Brasil is the 6th largest economy in the world and was hosting a very successful Pan-American Games only 5 years ago. In the last 15 years, South Africa has hosted a Rugby World Cup, a Cricket World Cup, an All African Games and a FIFA World Cup.

For me, cities bidding with bids full of conjecture and artist impressions of future facilities are far more riskier than cities with stadia like the Ataturk Olympic Stadium or the Moses Mabhida Stadium already built and open

My perception of Vancouver was very ho-hum. Maybe below Torino or on a par (though I wasn't physically present for either, so I probably shouldnt judge). It definitely paled in comparison to the execution of SLC though.

I think that if the IOC had LOVED Vancouver it would be a different story, but I didn't get the impression that they did, (Come on, peeing your name in the snow at the closing ceremony? Tacky and tasteless. A super small point of course, but I'm sure it made an impression...) Vancouver was competent and I'm sure people had fun, but it didn't blow most people away. For a country the size of Canada that isn't a Summer sports power to host Winter and Summer Games within 14 years, Vancouver would have to have been off the charts and made the IOC desperate to come back.

If the US bids, I would give them the edge over Toronto. The recent losses, the revenue deal, the economic and sporting prowess -- unless the bid were horribly flawed I think the IOC would go to the US before returning to Canada so soon.

Canada needs SOG they already had hosted Womens WC, U-20 WC, Pan Ams, WOG! I hope they rather SOG than a 2026 WC bid, Toronto could be an amazing host and the 2026 FiFA WC let it to the USA imagine tht feeling in the stadiums :rolleyes:

Toronto 2024 SOG

USA 2026 FIFA WC

My perception of Vancouver was very ho-hum. Maybe below Torino or on a par (though I wasn't physically present for either, so I probably shouldnt judge). It definitely paled in comparison to the execution of SLC though.

I think that if the IOC had LOVED Vancouver it would be a different story, but I didn't get the impression that they did, (Come on, peeing your name in the snow at the closing ceremony? Tacky and tasteless. A super small point of course, but I'm sure it made an impression...) Vancouver was competent and I'm sure people had fun, but it didn't blow most people away. For a country the size of Canada that isn't a Summer sports power to host Winter and Summer Games within 14 years, Vancouver would have to have been off the charts and made the IOC desperate to come back.

If the US bids, I would give them the edge over Toronto. The recent losses, the revenue deal, the economic and sporting prowess -- unless the bid were horribly flawed I think the IOC would go to the US before returning to Canada so soon.

I think your almost jealousy of Vancouver's games and the fact that Toronto can screw a USA bid is pissing you off. Vancouver was better then Torino and SLC. The fan atmosphere alone makes Vancouver great. The fact is the USA is on decline and Canada might as well squeeze in and take 2024.

As I remember Faster pointed out earlier both Melbourne and Vancouver left positive impressions, something the last two games in the USA did not (bombings, bribery scandals etc. )

For a country the size of Canada that isn't a Summer sports power to host Winter and Summer Games within 14 years, Vancouver would have to have been off the charts and made the IOC desperate to come back.

So what? Calgary and Montreal hosted within 12 years of each other and Canada's performance back then was much worse back then, compared to right now.

intoronto, what do you think is the best scenario for a Toronto bid? A Tokyo, Istanbul or Madrid win? Or is Toronto 2024 not affected upon the decision for 2020? What's your analysis? I know I've heard people say that an Istanbul win could hamper a South African bid because a new territory and a high level of risk host wouldn't happen two/three cycles in a row if you consider Rio. It kinda sets up North America nicely.

intoronto, what do you think is the best scenario for a Toronto bid? A Tokyo, Istanbul or Madrid win? Or is Toronto 2024 not affected upon the decision for 2020? What's your analysis? I know I've heard people say that an Istanbul win could hamper a South African bid because a new territory and a high level of risk host wouldn't happen two/three cycles in a row if you consider Rio. It kinda sets up North America nicely.

Well if the USA bids doesn't matter who wins because that will be the biggest obstacle. From what I have heard and read an Istanbul bid would have Europe/Asia blocked as well maybe the IOC wanting to return to an "older host"

If Istanbul wins.....

Best chance of the games returning to North America. It hinders an Asian bid and somewhat but not fully hinders a European bid since a Turkey games would be considered a European host or an Asian, a bit of both, and also hinders a South African bid because of the level of risk venturing out to a new region again 3 Olympics in a row.

Toronto's main comeptition would be an American candidate and a strong Euro candidate.

If Tokyo wins.....

It means that a European and North American candidate stand a very good chance with the possibility of a new frontier in South Africa. The 2024 lineup will be totally stacked out if Tokyo wins 2020. Will the Euro-centric IOC opt to go 3 consecutive Summer Olympics outside of Europe is the question?

If Madrid wins.....

If Tokyo bids again you'd think they would be the clear favourites but frontrunners don't always win. Any Euro bid would be ruled out which would mean this is Tokyo vs. Toronto vs. American city vs. SA city vs. Mexican city (if they wanted to join in on the fun :)..I doubt it would get far though )

I think your almost jealousy of Vancouver's games and the fact that Toronto can screw a USA bid is pissing you off. Vancouver was better then Torino and SLC. The fan atmosphere alone makes Vancouver great. The fact is the USA is on decline and Canada might as well squeeze in and take 2024.

As I remember Faster pointed out earlier both Melbourne and Vancouver left positive impressions, something the last two games in the USA did not (bombings, bribery scandals etc. )

For a country the size of Canada that isn't a Summer sports power to host Winter and Summer Games within 14 years, Vancouver would have to have been off the charts and made the IOC desperate to come back.

So what? Calgary and Montreal hosted within 12 years of each other and Canada's performance back then was much worse back then, compared to right now.

My posts on this topic are honest analysis. They're not emotionally motivated either by jealousy or anger. This is the way I view the Toronto/US dynamic.

If the US challenges Toronto, I do believe that either the US will win or neither of the two North American candidates will win.

If the US doesn't bid, Toronto could win and that would send the Americans up a creek without a paddle. Its very possible, however, that South Africa or Paris could render this whole conversation moot.

We still don't even know if Toronto will bid. We don't know what the USOC is thinking. This whole discussion is thoroughly hypothetical. As a result, I'm not emotionally invested at this point.

If it gets to be Chicago vs. Toronto in the final round and Chicago loses THEN I'll be invested, crushed and resentful. I'm not feeling any of those things now.

As for Vancouver being wonderful Winter Games, I wasn't there, so I don't know. I had the option of going and decided not to. From what I understand there are a range of opinions about Vancouver. Since you are a patriotic Canadian, it makes sense that you are proud of the Games. I would expect that.

As for Vancouver being wonderful Winter Games, I wasn't there, so I don't know. I had the option of going and decided not to. From what I understand there are a range of opinions about Vancouver. Since you are a patriotic Canadian, it makes sense that you are proud of the Games. I would expect that.

Minus the fact I am Canadian I did find the Vancouver Games memorable unlike the previous two. Maybe when Sochi rolls around Vancouver will join the other 2. I also could have went but didn't.

Minus the fact I am Canadian I did find the Vancouver Games memorable unlike the previous two. Maybe when Sochi rolls around Vancouver will join the other 2. I also could have went but didn't.

So you weren't there to experience this "atmosphere" that you've been praising so highly. Hmmm.

I've never been to any Games but as a viewer the festive atmosphere and Canadian love of winter sport definitely seemed like the highlight of Vancouver. It certainty seemed far more energetic than Torino at least.

I've never been to any Games but as a viewer the festive atmosphere and Canadian love of winter sport definitely seemed like the highlight of Vancouver. It certainty seemed far more energetic than Torino at least.

Yes. I can agree with that.

The city is obviously going to choose the 2024 Olympic bid over the 2025 Expo. It's a no brainer. And since this is being studied now and its getting early publicity we can guarantee an official bid even though it is early out. The previous bid cycles we only heard rumors of a bid happening behind closed doors. Nothing ever was officially announced until the bid deadline approached. The city will have hosted the Pan Am's in 2015. It would be in their favour to continue off the heels of that. The morale and excitement level of Torontonians should be high around that time and the approval rating should be great.

Archived