Name major sport events London hosted

are

That should be "is " a lot better than your Greek.

It's plural in Greek.

Anyway, I should start a language thread in PARIS 2012 section.

I think that would be best. I'm sure your French is much better.

I'm afraid my french IS even worse than your Greek!

The Commonwealth Games are the second biggest global multi-sport event in the world; bigger than the Winter Olympics, and certainly more complex than a football World Cup. Single sport tournaments are far easier to organise, especially in a country where such sports are already extremely well established. Don't stick to London, think of all the world championships in various Olympic sports which have been held in the UK recently.

Judo, badminton and indoor athletics have all had World Championships at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham.

Manchester Velodrome has twice hosted the World Track Championships, despite only having existed for a decade.

Eton College's superb state-of-the-art rowing facility at Dorney Lake hosts the World Championships next year.

Wimbledon has already been mentioned; the championships there are in effect the World Championships of lawn tennis.

Britain has regularly hosted the World Cross-Country Championships (OK, smaller scale, but it proves the IAAF's confidence in the UK's ability to maintain the profile of the sport).

Oh, and there's nowhere on Earth which comes close to the Solent when we mention competitive sailing. Cowes Week is the biggest annual regatta in the world, and many global ocean yacht races start and finish in the area.

Speaking of which, can I plug the Global Challenge finish, which comes up in a fortnight? Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth. Meet the crews, see the boats etc. Good fun.

Hey Pyrros2004, how's it going? I think the thrust of your reasoning regarding 'experience' in running the games is flawed, in that I have no doubt the logistics of it, while challenging, will in no way present us with a problem, not least in the light of the many previous posters' examples of successful events in the UK and in the Capital. That said, I do have grave concerns about the how the spectacle of the event will be handled.

To explain: The Barcelona games were simply beautiful, and a joy to watch. I thought the Athens Olympics closing ceremony was the best I have ever seen. The Sydney Games were energetic and celebratory, but Athens provided the solemnity and depth of emotion that was so appropriate to spiritual (and real) home of the Games. I'm afraid I can't think of much to say about Atlanta. The point is, If we DO win the bid, then I hope the powers that be watch some films of 2004 Athens and take a few lessons in taste, elegance and artistic flare. I doubt they will though, if the Millennium Dome is anything to go by. You were spared that particular cultural disaster, I trust.

That said, you should, I think, consider the fact that Britain has been hosting domestic and international sporting events for decades. In many ways, we are supremely experienced in such things. I remind you also that the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations were enormous and enormously successful. The cultural/artistic side, though - now there's the rub. I really would prefer not to see the Games here if they A) Resembled another Atlanta, and B) Failed to follow the example, culturally, of Athens and Barcelona.

Best wishes.

It's good to be the winner. I wonder how you feel being always the loosers (even at the 2012 bid!)

VIVE LA FRANCE!

Retard....got defensive when he was proved wrong. Learn your facts next time. London hosts more sporting events each year and more large scale non-sporting events, than most other cities in the world. If you question London's ability to hold large events, then you have to question any cities ability.

World Snooker Champs – Sheffield every year

:D  :D  :D

Opps. Sorry. But it was funny to see this.

What's wrong with snooker?  :)

Hazarding a guess....Spain ain't no good at it.

Be honest.

Wouldnt you laugh, if i would at to the big events list ... the bullfight-season in Spain? The amount of spectators isnt small, during 3 months every year.

Im pretty sure you would laugh at least.  :;):

greetings

Wimbledon every year

British Grand Prix every year

Five nations Rugby every year

Euro 1996

World Student Games – Sheffield 1991

Commonwealth Games 2002 Manchester

World indoor Athletics Champs – Birmingham 2003

World Snooker Champs – Sheffield every year

World Rowing Champs Eton 2005?

Rugby World Cup 1991

Rugby World Cup 1999

Cricket World Cup 1999

Womens Euro 2005 - Manchester

I think Manchester has also hosted a world/european cycling champs and aworld squash champs in the last few years.

you can also add 1995 World Figure Skating Championships in Birmingham.

Archived