USA 2024

Athensfan

I personally don't believe Los Angeles stands a chance against Rome, Paris, Berlin and Durban. Just my opinion.

Nahh I disagree Rome is having trouble getting the government on board like in 2020, Berlin might not have public support after considering Munich 2022, Durban is most likely getting 2022 commonwealth games, plus after this rio mess, I don't think ioc wants to go back to a 50/50 chance to get construction done, and paris I think is the only real strong contender IMO to Los Angeles but they might bid for 2025 expo.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are multiple reasons for this:

1.) LA's 2016 plan was nowhere near as good as the 2024 plan.

2.) 2016 was too soon for the US to host again and DEFINITELY too soon for LA. These 8 years have made a difference.

3.) Chicago was the opposition in 2016. The USOC picked the right candidate for that race.

This race is different and the Olympic landscape is different. Unless another city has a really fabulous bid proposal, I can definitely see LA rising to the top, partly thanks to the California ties of the board members -- some of whose names were printed on that preliminary document.

If the USOC bids, it will be because they are genuinely excited about the bid city and their chances. I don't think they'll glumly offer up a candidate they don't believe in.

I was trying to point out that 2016 showed us that LA could not rely on 'hometown members' or their hosting legacy. Two things some people here say will be the key to success. The 2016 race showed us that the USOC cares about a strong plan, look, and narrative; three things significantly noticeable in their preliminary 2024 plan.

The USOC aren't stupid. Of course they won't vote for a weak bid just because they have ties to the bid city or state. No one suggested that was the case.

However, it certainly doesn't hurt to have those connections, particularly if the decision is close. It is significant that several of those members have already put their names to LA's bid plans.

I don't think that's even a question. Anyone with a modicum of professionalism would notify the cities that are no longer being considered.

I don't think we have evidence the USOC has a modicum of professionalism. In face, by going out to 35 cities in the first place, we've got at least some evidence they don't.

I don't think we have evidence the USOC has a modicum of professionalism. In face, by going out to 35 cities in the first place, we've got at least some evidence they don't.

Couldn't disagree more.

They tried a new approach and they didn't want anyone to feel excluded -- hence 35 cities. The USOC never thought for a second that they would be offering Rochester, NY as their candidate for 2024. It was a gracious way to say, "This is your chance. If you're interested, let us know and we'll review what it will take for you to become the candidate."

I've been very impressed with Blackmun. I think he has definitely righted the ship. There's no longer the revolving door of leadership that plagued the organization for so long. The USOC is making friends in the IOC as is evidenced by the revenue deal, Anita deFrantz' election to the executive board and Larry Probst's new membership.

In fact, in the wake of Chicago's 2016 campaign, I can't think of a single thing the USOC has done that struck me as "unprofessional." To the contrary, they seem savvy, considerate and focused.

Los Angeles saved the Olympics Movement 2 times in 1932 and 1984 and the IOC is having an bad time now I think they will pick Los Angeles to host the 2024 games to Restore faith in the Olympics Movement they are hosting the next years 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games too.

2024 will be here in Europe and 2028 in Africa.

By 2024 it will have been 12 years since Europe hosted the games and 28 years for North America that is the bigger difference in Geopolitics also Japan is hosting 2020 which means by the flow has North America turn and write all over after they go to Japan the IOC always like to go to North America, Europe will wait to host the games again in 2028 with either Rome Italy, Moscow Russia or Berlin Germany if Paris France lose the 2024 race that will be the end of them for another Generation of 2 to host the games.

Moscow, Russia? Are you serious? You think the IOC would even consider Russia after the bad Build Up to Sochi 2014 and the Ukraine Crisis.

Do you read what you write?

That's an obnoxious question.

The answer is yes. And I wouldn't change the post if I could.

The USOC chose to be inclusive and avoid "making enemies," to use Blackmun's wording. For some reason I don't understand, you construe that as "unprofessional."

Very confident prediction. What makes you so sure 2024 WILL BE there in Europe and 2028 in Africa?

Well, I don't believe that they will have Three Summer Olympics in a row outside of Europe and 2028 will be the time for Africa's first Olympics.

2024 will be here in Europe and 2028 in Africa.

Moscow, Russia? Are you serious? You think the IOC would even consider Russia after the bad Build Up to Sochi 2014 and the Ukraine Crisis.

It's very clear that the IOC has an good friendship with Russia Vladimir Putin and Thomas Bach are like really good friends and Sochi Russia put on a great games by the way Western Europe is going the IOC may have to go back to Russia which by 2030 will be the superpower of Europe the only way it will not go back to Russia is that Berlin Germany putting on a great bid to host the 2028 Summer Games. France future is unclear with the the new Mayor of Paris and the economy of France.

It's very clear that the IOC has an good friendship with Russia Vladimir Putin and Thomas Bach are like really good friends and Sochi Russia put on a great games by the way Western Europe is going the IOC may have to go back to Russia which by 2030 will be the superpower of Europe the only way it will not go back to Russia is that Berlin Germany putting on a great bid to host the 2028 Summer Games. France future is unclear with the the new Mayor of Paris and the economy of France.

I can assure you, Russia probably won't get another Olympic Games for at least another 25 Years. There was 34 Years between Moscow 1980 and Sochi 2014. Russia probably won't even Bid, let alone Host. 2024 is most probably Rome VS Paris VS Berlin, with Durban Bidding for 2024 as a Warm-Up for 2028.

Well, I don't believe that they will have Three Summer Olympics in a row outside of Europe and 2028 will be the time for Africa's first Olympics.

It's very possible there will be 3 or maybe 4 Summer and Winter Games out side of Europe, European cities are now rejecting to host the games now and Europeans is becoming very anti Olympics Games right now, If No good European cities put in a bid to host the 2028 Summer Games and Lima Peru does an great job in hosting the 2019 Pan American Games then they could be hosting the 2028 Summer Games, South Africa is no where near ready to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in the near future.

Tony you need to stop being so stubborn and self righteous in your view in the world and think outside the box you are getting on my nerve now.

I can assure you, Russia probably won't get another Olympic Games for at least another 25 Years. There was 34 Years between Moscow 1980 and Sochi 2014. Russia probably won't even Bid, let alone Host. 2024 is most probably Rome VS Paris VS Berlin, with Durban Bidding for 2024 as a Warm-Up for 2028.

Well, we might be on the verge of having 3 straight Olympics in Asia. Who would have thought that would be possible. Not impossible the IOC could go outside of Europe 3 times in a row.

And especially this being a USA thread, don't dismiss LA so quickly. If they wind up winning the USOC's favor, they're going to be in the running, and I think they've got a better chance than some want to give them here.

It's very possible there will be 3 or maybe 4 Summer and Winter Games out side of Europe, European cities are now rejecting to host the games now and Europeans is becoming very anti Olympics Games right now, If No good European cities put in a bid to host the 2028 Summer Games and Lima Peru does an great job in hosting the 2019 Pan American Games then they could be hosting the 2028 Summer Games, South Africa is no where near ready to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in the near future.

Tony you need to stop being so stubborn and self righteous in your view in the world and think outside the box you are getting on my nerve now.

While I agree wholeheartedly on the last point, I doubt the IOC will return to South America so soon as 2028. It would shock me to no end to see South America host their next Summer Olympics before North America does.

* - after Rio, that is.. should have made that clearer knowing this forum

Says you with your obsession with Asia/Oceania. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics outside Europe and I will be proven right when it happens. Europeans are becoming Anti-Olympics? You have no clue:

2012:

London, England (Who won).

Paris, France.

Madrid, Spain.

Moscow, Russia.

Leipzig, Germany.

Istanbul, Turkey.

2014:

Sochi, Russia.

Salzburg, Austria.

Jaca, Spain.

Sofia, Bulgaria.

Borjomi, Georgia.

2016:

Madrid, Spain.

Baku, Azerbaijan.

Prague, Czech Republic.

2018:

Munich, Germany.

Annecy, France.

2020:

Madrid, Spain.

Istanbul, Turkey.

Baku, Azerbaijan.

Rome, Italy (Withdrew).

2022:

Oslo, Norway.

Krakow, Poland.

Lviv, Ukraine.

Stockholm, Sweden (Withdrew).

Facts are proven, Europe is not Anti-Olympics. Sorry GCL, you have no idea what your talking about.

Also, you think Peru is ready but not South Africa? I can't understand what your thinking.

Says you with your obsession with Asia/Oceania. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics outside Europe and I will be proven right when it happens.

IF it happens. It is far from a foregone conclusion the 2024 Olympics will be awarded to Europe.

Says you with your obsession with Asia/Oceania. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics outside Europe and I will be proven right when it happens. Europeans are becoming Anti-Olympics? You have no clue:

2022:

Oslo, Norway.

Krakow, Poland.

Lviv, Ukraine.

Stockholm, Sweden (Withdrew).

Facts are proven, Europe is not Anti-Olympics. Sorry GCL, you have no idea what your talking about.

Also, you think Peru is ready but not South Africa? I can't understand what your thinking.

Look at what is going on in Norway the government is about to give the bid a boot like Sweden did and the people of Krakow will be giving a boot to the IOC too that will leave Lviv as the only city left in Europe and they are in a war right now. Paris and Rome may be giving the boot as well in 2024 which really leaves Berlin Germany as the strongest city in Europe for the bid.

Europe is becoming more anti-Olympic but it's very hard to tell right now whether this is a temporary reaction to Sochi and Russia's homophobic, ridiculously expensive Games or a more general long-term trend. And normally, of course, you'd be right that three in a row in Asia wouldn't happen. But if we're just left with Almaty and Beijing the IOC won't have much choice really! Informal continental rotation can only happen if there are diverse enough fields and strong enough bids. Beggars can't be choosers.

Look at what is going on in Norway the government is about to give the bid a boot like Sweden did and the people of Krakow will be giving a boot to the IOC too that will leave Lviv as the only city left in Europe and they are in a war right now. Paris and Rome may be giving the boot as well in 2024 which really leaves Berlin Germany as the strongest city in Europe for the bid.

Yeah, that's why Paris is studying a 2024 Bid. Your obsessed with every Olympics being in Asia. I'm not obsessed with every Olympics being in Europe, I just believe 2024 is Europe's time, just like 2018 and 2020 is Asia's time. I supported PyeongChang and Tokyo for 2018 and 2020.

Hypocrite! Do you not have an obsession over Europe/UK/London (AKA "the greatest city ever" according to you).You and GCL are actually quite similar, ya know that? Both believing a certain area/city winning and claiming they WILL win. You can have opinions, but claiming they WILL happen is ludicrous, especially in a thread about the USA hosting the Olympics.

The USOC chose to be inclusive and avoid "making enemies," to use Blackmun's wording. For some reason I don't understand, you construe that as "unprofessional."

They aren't being inclusive. As you yourself wrote, there is no chance in hell they will pick certain cities. There are polite ways of saying that. What isn't polite is leading a city on, telling them "This is your chance" when they actually have no chance.

If you don't like "unprofessional" how about "gutless"?

Europe is becoming more anti-Olympic but it's very hard to tell right now whether this is a temporary reaction to Sochi and Russia's homophobic, ridiculously expensive Games or a more general long-term trend. And normally, of course, you'd be right that three in a row in Asia wouldn't happen. But if we're just left with Almaty and Beijing the IOC won't have much choice really! Informal continental rotation can only happen if there are diverse enough fields and strong enough bids. Beggars can't be choosers.

I won't claim to have knowledge of what's going on across the pond, but just for my own clarification.. are we talking about anti-Olympic in terms of wanting to host? Or as it Europeans are starting to reject the concept of the Olympics?

My inclination is that this is indeed a temporary reaction. We're in the wake of Sochi's huge budget Olympics and a time when several European countries are struggling financially. So I don't know that this is a long term trend. I remember the concern with Beijing being would the next Olympics try to compete. Well, London did no such thing. They held their Olympics on their terms and quickly stemmed the tide that over-spending would become the norm for an Olympics.

And far be it from us to over-analyze a situation. Again, we're discussing this in the moment and trying to project the long term ramifications. Tough to see into the future that way. To that end, look at the United States. They lost 2 elections and then stepped away and now it looks like Los Angeles might encourage them to step back in. Right now, this is just 1 cycle we're looking at. Things have a tendency to change, so it's anyone's best guess whether this is a short-term problem or a long-term one.

They aren't being inclusive. As you yourself wrote, there is no chance in hell they will pick certain cities. There are polite ways of saying that. What isn't polite is leading a city on, telling them "This is your chance" when they actually have no chance.

If you don't like "unprofessional" how about "gutless"?

In an effort to play the role of Switzerland here..

Is the USOC really concerned with making an enemy out of Rochester? Or even the T-word? When it was first revealed that the USOC had contacted 35 cities, I believe the word used by the NY Times was "trolling." That's not an unfair assessment. You said earlier they didn't want anyone to feel excluded. Okay, I get that, but still, why engage in a city that they know has no change. I have no problem with them casting that wide of a net, but at the same time, why go through the trouble.

That all said, to zeke's point, I don't think it's gutless or professional. Maybe a little bit pointless, but really, what's the repercussions over than schmucks like us in an Internet forum sneering at the USOC. Think they care? Does it change the eventual outcome of the whole process? They changed the system around for the better and we're seeing evidence of that where we don't have cities coming at them like pigs at a trough trying to prove themselves to the USOC. If their biggest transgression is that they sent their letter out to more cities than could possibly get elected as host of an Olympics, IMO that's hardly an indictment against the organization's professionalism.

The last two Olympics were held in Europe. There are three bidders from Europe for the next games to be decided.

It does seem a bit of an overreaction to say Europe is rejecting the games.

True, but the last 2 Olympic host sites to be awarded were out of Europe. And certain cities and countries that have been out there before decided to pack it in. Yes, there are 3 bidders from Europe (there were originally 4, don't forget), but 1 probably can't be taken seriously because of political unrest, and the other 2 might both drop out of the running. So yes, there is cause for concern. That's why I was asking Rob if it's more that they're rejecting hosting the Olympics or if it's the Olympics in general that they're against. I could see it being the former. I'm guessing it's not the latter.

Archived