USA 2024

Athensfan

The cities capable of hosting the Summer Olympics are New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Chi-Town is the best location since its suitable for North American television coverage. Los Angeles has the experience in hosting the Olympic Games twice. New York is the "American Babylon" of cities.

I think New York should give a shot in bidding for the Olympics. If the city bids again with proper planning, the IOC will probably give the games to NYC.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cities capable of hosting the Summer Olympics are New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Chi-Town is the best location since its suitable for North American television coverage. Los Angeles has the experience in hosting the Olympic Games twice. New York is the "American Babylon" of cities.

I think New York should give a shot in bidding for the Olympics. If the city bids again with proper planning, the IOC will probably give the games to NYC.

If only it were that easy. When you say "proper planning," it takes a lot more than hard work and good intentions to pull off a winning Olympic bid. As much as geopolitics go a long way to determining a winner, having a solid technical plan helps a lot. New York didn't have that last time. Their pitch was "New York is a great city, we deserve the Olympics." It was a terrible message and to me, it masked the issues they had which sunk them.

The challenge with an Olympic bid, and this goes for any city but especially in the United States, is coming up with a plan that makes sense for the Olympics and makes sense for the city. That's a lot easier said than done and it may prove to be a near impossible task for even a city like New York to come up with something like that. If they can, maybe they've got a shot. But short of that, the IOC is probably not going to "give the games" to NYC.

Then what would be chicagos olympic stadium

That's what they have to come up with. That's what any city has to come up. It's why it's so hard for an American city, without the same backing bid cities in other countries get for an Olympics, to come up with a sensible plan.

No, mainly just you were just wondering. Everyone has been telling you the last couple of pages that Soldier Field is not suitable as an Olympic stadium.

Yeah I have realized that. So then if the olympic stadium wouldn't be at soldier field and many people don't like the temporary stadium idea.

Bernham, retooling the LA 2016 logo does not make it their 2024 bid logo. That Boston clipper has been around for years and I can't imagine it is their logo either. The Dallas image is just off their website and is not likely their logo because, as we all know, the IOC forbids the use of the torch in bid logos. Who knows where that San Diego image came from? The only logo in your post that is bona fide is the one for Washington DC.

The reality is that none of these cities needs a logo yet. They're just talking with the USOC. That's it. Cart before the horse -- way before in DC's case.

Please don't post random images and claim they are official logos when they are not. There's enough misinformation out there as it is.

Bernham, retooling the LA 2016 logo does not make it their 2024 bid logo. That Boston clipper has been around for years and I can't imagine it is their logo either. The Dallas image is just off their website and is not likely their logo because, as we all know, the IOC forbids the use of the torch in bid logos. Who knows where that San Diego image came from? The only logo in your post that is bona fide is the one for Washington DC.

The reality is that none of these cities needs a logo yet. They're just talking with the USOC. That's it. Cart before the horse -- way before in DC's case.

Please don't post random images and claim they are official logos when they are not. There's enough misinformation out there as it is.

Well if you did more research Athens all the logo's at this point are the official ones or the closest we can find. Bostons is from the Boston site, San Diego's is from their site, the Dallas logo is the closest we have, and the I have seen the re-tooled version of 2016 being used for 2024.

Links:

San Diego: http://www.sd2024ec.org/

Boston: http://www.boston-2024.org/index.html

Dallas: http://dallas2024.org/

DC: http://dc2024.org/

Well if you did more research Athens all the logo's at this point are the official ones or the closest we can find. Bostons is from the Boston site, San Diego's is from their site, the Dallas logo is the closest we have, and the I have seen the re-tooled version of 2016 being used for 2024.

Links:

San Diego: http://www.sd2024ec.org/

Boston: http://www.boston-2024.org/index.html

Dallas: http://dallas2024.org/

DC: http://dc2024.org/

Don't pull that on me. That's the whole point: "the closest you can find" does not mean it's an official logo. Just because you show a link doesn't mean its an official logo. The ONLY exception is DC who officially unveiled theirs months ago.

And as for LA, being used by who? People on GB? So what? Do you really think LA would use that?

You're over enthusiastic so you post a bunch of random stuff and try to pass it off as "official logos." Stop.

Don't pull that on me. That's the whole point: "the closest you can find" does not mean it's an official logo. Just because you show a link doesn't mean its an official logo. The ONLY exception is DC who officially unveiled theirs months ago.

And as for LA, being used by who? People on GB? So what? Do you really think LA would use that?

You're over enthusiastic so you post a bunch of random stuff and try to pass it off as "official logos." Stop.

Boston is real too because they also use it on their social media website. And like you said dcs is real too. I know definitely la's is from 2016 and I think Dallas's is from 2020

This site amuses me sometimes

Folks.. it takes about 15 minutes to design a website like some of these bid teams have. It is not an official representation of the city's bid until they explicitly say it is. And if 1 of these cities is fortunate enough to get themselves the USOC's approval to put them up in front of the IOC, pretty good chance we're going to see something new. Something more official. I know people here get almost hysterical over the prospect of venue plans and videos and bid logos. But I'm with Athens here.. please temper your excitement when you see something on social media or on a website. I can almost guarantee that many of those logos and website were designed with less time and effort than a lot of people here spend on designing logos and websites. When the time comes (more like IF the time comes), these groups will work on something official. Until then, it's just window dressing.

Boston's logo is the logo used by their committee, so its as official as it can get. However, as I understand, bids are not allowed to use the olympic torch in their logos, and that clipper is clearly evocative of the torch. So, once there's an official bid, it won't be their official logo. But it is the logo that people recognize.

This site amuses me sometimes

Folks.. it takes about 15 minutes to design a website like some of these bid teams have. It is not an official representation of the city's bid until they explicitly say it is. And if 1 of these cities is fortunate enough to get themselves the USOC's approval to put them up in front of the IOC, pretty good chance we're going to see something new. Something more official. I know people here get almost hysterical over the prospect of venue plans and videos and bid logos. But I'm with Athens here.. please temper your excitement when you see something on social media or on a website. I can almost guarantee that many of those logos and website were designed with less time and effort than a lot of people here spend on designing logos and websites. When the time comes (more like IF the time comes), these groups will work on something official. Until then, it's just window dressing.

I'm not excited and I have not supported any of the US 2024 bids, I hope the US looses if they bid. I simply posted the 'logos' so everyone could see what is shaping up to be the domestic bidders. I would say San Diego is the most official next to DC considering on their site it states they are the Evaluation Committee and they have venue plans and the likes. Even a timeline for the domestic round. Looks like the shortlist will happen sometime next month.

I'm not excited and I have not supported any of the US 2024 bids, I hope the US looses if they bid. I simply posted the 'logos' so everyone could see what is shaping up to be the domestic bidders. I would say San Diego is the most official next to DC considering on their site it states they are the Evaluation Committee and they have venue plans and the likes. Even a timeline for the domestic round. Looks like the shortlist will happen sometime next month.

For someone who is not excited.. you sure sound pretty gosh darn excited. We do appreciate you putting together that list of links and logos, so thank you for that. But again, use some discretion where you tell us "these are official" because it's on their website.

Soldier_Field_aerial.jpg

Sorry that image didnt work, but as you can see soldier field is too small to add a track

They could've raised the floor per the original transformative plan of the new 49ers Stadium had it stayed in SF for use as SF's Olympic Stadium. Soldier Field would probably lose about 12-15,000 seats in the process...but there is NO room to compensate for that lost seating. So that's another dead end for another American T&F stadium.

They could've raised the floor per the original transformative plan of the new 49ers Stadium had it stayed in SF for use as SF's Olympic Stadium. Soldier Field would probably lose about 12-15,000 seats in the process...but there is NO room to compensate for that lost seating. So that's another dead end for another American T&F stadium.

If were going to continue the Soldier Field discussion, they could always use it for ceremonies and football. Then construct a temporary stadium for track, much cheaper then what everyone here is proposing.

If were going to continue the Soldier Field discussion, they could always use it for ceremonies and football. Then construct a temporary stadium for track, much cheaper then what everyone here is proposing.

Thing is any track stadium would take up a lot of space even if it is temporary (space that could be used for something with a more positive legacy), and it still costs a lot to build a stadium of size with all the bells and whistles that the IOC demands. Then it costs money to tear it down again, so a temporary stadium is in no way cheap

If you're going to reply to a post from baron and talk about ceremonies.. look at what cities like Beijing and London and Sochi have done to turn their stadiums into a canvas for the artistry of the Opening Ceremony. Not to say you can't do that with Soldier Field, but there's a reason these organizing committees tend to put a lot of effort and expense into building the main stadium into something that will be functional for the ceremonies. If you're going to put on a show for the world, you're going to want the appropriate setting to do so. Tough to get that from an existing stadium if you can't add the types of bells and whistles to make the ceremonies a spectacular event. Rio is an exception to the rule because they have a main stadium that was going to get renovated anyway in addition to a secondary stadium built to host track and field. So even if you're talking about a temporary stadium for track and field, it still needs to have 80,000 seats and probably isn't going to stay that way after the Olympics, so if you're going to put the resources and effort into that stadium, why not make it the home base for the ceremonies in addition to the track and field competition.

Archived