Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

According to a few on this forum, the IFs have always been against going to Korea with the exception of the ISU.

And you cannot use 'for the good of the game' argument. The Winter Olympics have been to Japan twice, most resently in 1998 and Japan has regressed considerably since 1998 with Denmark, Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland and Germany continuing to grow and expand. The IIHF is concerned about one thing and one thing only at the moment and that is growing the base in countries that are making the effort.

Sure, because look at the competition Japan faces. They won't improve alone, they need their neighbours to push them.

The view that IFs will just do what's presently best for their federation is too simplistic. There's a lot of factors at play, and going to the country with the stronger tradition in their particular sport is just one of them.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, because look at the competition Japan faces. They won't improve alone, they need their neighbours to push them.

The view that IFs will just do what's presently best for their federation is too simplistic. There's a lot of factors at play, and going to the country with the stronger tradition in their particular sport is just one of them.

The World Championships are not continental based. In fact I have never even heard of contintental championships in hockey. Japan played Austria, Ukraine, Netherlands, Lithuania and Serbia in the last tournament they played in. Remember hockey is set up in the same manor as a European football league.

The IFs have been sited as the reason Pyeongchang has lost before and are the principle reason they could lose again. Multiple IFs have given Korea a chance over the last decade only to be disappointed with the results.

The World Championships are not continental based. In fact I have never even heard of contintental championships in hockey. Japan played Austria, Ukraine, Netherlands, Lithuania and Serbia in the last tournament they played in. Remember hockey is set up in the same manor as a European football league.

The IFs have been sited as the reason Pyeongchang has lost before and are the principle reason they could lose again. Multiple IFs have given Korea a chance over the last decade only to be disappointed with the results.

Yeah, maybe Korea has let down enough IFs in the past, and maybe that's enough for those IFs to vote elsewhere. I'm no Olympic expert, but logically-speaking, there's probably a lot of factors they take into consideration. We'll find out soon enough.

And I'm not just talking about the World Championships. I'm also thinking of the Asia Ice Hockey League between Japan, Korea and China, and I'm thinking of growth at the grassroots level. Korea and Japan have many sporting rivalries, which ended up in both countries improving to stay on top. Japan doesn't have that threat right now, no amount of competition in the WC will change that.

Anyways, now that Durban is out of 2020 I see no other situation then a first round victory for Pyeongchang.

Oh yeah, and with the complete mess over in Zurich at FIFA, and with the threat of 2022 (and even 2018) being annulled, it would look very bad for the IOC to shut the door a 3rd time on an up-and-coming strong winter country.

Oh yeah, and with the complete mess over in Zurich at FIFA, and with the threat of 2022 (and even 2018) being annulled, it would look very bad for the IOC to shut the door a 3rd time on an up-and-coming strong winter country.

How so? I'm one of the biggest PC supporters out there, but I'm not quite following.

Korean football has been hit hard by the revelation that an investigation has begun into an unprecedented match-fixing scandal involving at least 10 professional players.

The Changwon District Prosecutor's Office said investigators had arrested two gambling brokers, one a former footballer, on charges of bribing players to fix matches.

Six-time national team striker Kim Dong-Hyun, who currently plays with K-League club Sangju Sangmu, is one of the players involved.

Kim has been summoned by investigators on suspicion of accepting money from bookmakers and fixing matches.

The prosecutors confirmed there are at least 10 players under investigation.

“The whole story behind this incident has not been exposed because we are in the early stages of the investigation," said a prosecution official to the Korea Times.

"The bribed football players and others suspected of being involved in the scam have not yet been questioned."

On Wednesday a goalkeeper and a midfielder from separate K-League clubs were arrested on charges of accepting US$92,000 and US$110,000 respectively, according to the prosecution.

It is the first time a scam of such proportions has come to light in Korea, sending shockwaves throughout the sport in the East Asian nation.

If there is any comparison with FIFAs 2022 decision with race, I think PC is like Qatar. They have the money, they make promises but the dont have the tradition and the expierence unlike the other bids.

The problem with 2022 was, that there wasnt a single football powerhouse in the race. The US, Japan, Korea and Australia they all have decent teams, but noone would call them football nations.

But in this race you have two strong winter sport nations, so there is no need to choose the weakest of them, Korea.

The problem with 2022 was, that there wasnt a single football powerhouse in the race. The US, Japan, Korea and Australia they all have decent teams, but noone would call them football nations.

Not to take this thread off-topic, but do you really think a footballing powerhouse in the 2022 race would have prevented FIFA choosing Qatar? :rolleyes:

If there is any comparison with FIFAs 2022 decision with race, I think PC is like Qatar. They have the money, they make promises but the dont have the tradition and the expierence unlike the other bids.

But in this race you have two strong winter sport nations, so there is no need to choose the weakest of them, Korea.

A better comparison for PC would be Australia 2022.

You DO know that Korea has been outperforming France in the last couple of Winter Olympics, right?

(You said "strong winter sport nation" ... you didn't say "traditional")

You DO know that Korea has been outperforming France in the last couple of Winter Olympics, right?

You are lucky... :rolleyes: You win medal only 2 sports... you don't exist in other winter sport... We are strong in lot of sport and if you look in different winter worldcup France is stronger than Korea... You can win some medals only in Turin and Vancouver...

Tradition and foundation is more important than Medals.

Korea's winter sports history is less than 20 years.

Korea and France can't be compared.

Korea get the 45 medals at the WOG.

- Short track 37

- Speed 7

- Figure 1

France get the 94 medals at the WOG.

- Alpine 43

- Biathlon 17

- Figure 12

- Snowboard 8

- Free-style 7

- Nordic combined 4

- Cross counrty 1

- Curling 1

- Bobsleigh 1

You are lucky... :rolleyes: You win medal only 2 sports... you don't exist in other winter sport... We are strong in lot of sport and if you look in different winter worldcup France is stronger than Korea... You can win some medals only in Turin and Vancouver...

Oh boo-hoo. So when Korea doesn't do well, it's because they're not a winter nation, and when Korea does well, they're "lucky." Well, get ready because they'll be lucky for a long time starting from now.

This whole "you only win in 1 or 2 sports" is sooo overused.

2003: "You don't win any medals, and you have never win outside of short track speed skating"

2007: "Your only medals come from short track speed skating"

2011: "Your only medals come from short track speed skating, long track and figure skating"

I can just see the argument in 2019: "Your only medals come from short track speed skating, long track, figure skating, curling, ski jumping and bobsledding. You still suck at alpine skiing and hockey"

And yes, you're right we have only performed extremely well in Turin and Vancouver.... the two most recent Olympics... and this is supposed to be bad HOW?

- Short track 37

- Speed 7

- Figure 1

I know you're trying to put down Korea, but I'm actually really impressed with this total, considering Korea only had 20 total winter medals just 6 years ago. I think it's a remarkable statistic and I bet you can't find another country who has progressed this fast in the Winter Olympics in recent years. Maybe Canada, but they were already strong to begin with.

I know you're trying to put down Korea, but I'm actually really impressed with this total, considering Korea only had 20 total winter medals just 6 years ago. I think it's a remarkable statistic and I bet you can't find another country who has progressed this fast in the Winter Olympics in recent years. Maybe Canada, but they were already strong to begin with.

Well, Skiing and Short track is different.

Most European countries doesn't short track.

(I know that Italy, Bulgaria, Belgium, Britain, Netherlands, etc)

In Korea, 15 years ago compared to now, there is no difference at all about skiing.

For example,

1997 Ski Jumping registered players only 4.

2011 Ski Jumping registered players only 4. (Adult standards)

Well, Skiing and Short track is different.

Most European countries doesn't short track.

(I know that Italy, Bulgaria, Belgium, Britain, Netherlands, etc)

Then I'm worried that there won't be any passionate crowds for short track in Annecy/Munich. They should wait until 2026 or 2034, so they can develop their interest in short track, and then bid again.

Then I'm worried that there won't be any passionate crowds for short track in Annecy/Munich. They should wait until 2026 or 2034, so they can develop their interest in short track, and then bid again.

OK, I'm worried that there won't be any passionate crowds for stadia Except Short track in Pyeongchang. They should wait until 2038 or 2042, so they can develop their interest in winter sports Except Short track, and then bid again. :D

OK, I'm worried that there won't be any passionate crowds for stadia Except Short track in Pyeongchang. They should wait until 2038 or 2042, so they can develop their interest in winter sports Except Short track, and then bid again. :D

But I thought you said Pyeongchang would be perfect for 2026 or 2034?

:wacko:

Even if held in Pyeongchang, I'm sure that two weeks throughout the almost empty stadia, is true. Like 2002 FIFA World cup. 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC, 2011 Athletics World pre-Championships.

In Pyeongchang

hqdefault.jpg

In Munich.

Feeling7_oberhof_ddp_gr.jpg

%7B638b901b-5086-d59b-e49e-178d3bcc806f%7D.jpg

Tradition and foundation is more important than Medals.

Korea's winter sports history is less than 20 years.

Korea and France can't be compared.

- Short track 37

- Speed 7

- Figure 1

France get the 94 medals at the WOG.

- Alpine 43

- Biathlon 17

- Figure 12

- Snowboard 8

- Free-style 7

- Nordic combined 4

- Cross counrty 1

- Curling 1

- Bobsleigh 1

Thanks for getting that together - wow! That's really impressive for Korea in just 20 years. They really DO deserve to host! They could teach a lot of other nations how to build their prowess (rather than live on with memories and fading reputation).

I think PC will win, and how exciting to share the games with a nation who's citizens want it the most. They will go above and beyond to deliver everything promised and more.

How boring to go to France, or Germany.....same old thing. I'd rather go to a new place and see new things and meet new people and expand Winter sports.

Primitive forest be dammed!:lol: ....don't pretend any of these games are really green, that's such a farce and a marketing tool, and anyone who believes it is a tool.

Archived