The Maracana Cluster

There was a large number of empty seats at Maracana Stadium during the 2007 Pan Am Games closing ceremony.

Yeah, but a Pan-Ams is hardly anywhere near the drawcard that an Olympics is. Don't you worry - EVERY seat at Maracana for the Olympic opening and closing will be sold.

Wut why can't Engenhao host the Olympic ceremonies?

Because to the Brazilians, Maracana is an icon, and it makes sense for them to use their most famous and biggest stadium for ceremonies, while putting athletics in a venue more suited to suited to that. I can sympathise with that.

Just because a popular football-only stadium stadium is an icon to a certain country doesn't mean they have to be the designated Olympic Main Stadium.

But for 99.999 per cent of the world, they're not going to know or care. They'll be watching sports, or watching the ceremonies, and enjoying them for what they are. The vast vast majority of people aren't going to be watching them and marking them down on a scorecard for "infractions" like: "used two stadiums for cereminies and events - points deducted". It's ony a rare breed of Olympics nerds like the members of this august forum who will even notice that at all.

Jeezus, you REALLY need a new hobby.

Jim and a couple of Rio detractors and trollers VS. the the mankind (99% is not giving a damn for this issue, and Brazilians, who are paying for the games are happy)...

Tell me, who would you bet?

Jim and a couple of Rio detractors and trollers VS. the the mankind (99% is not giving a damn for this issue, and Brazilians, who are paying for the games are happy)...

Tell me, who would you bet?

I (almost) feel sorry for him if something so trivial can ruin an entire games for him.

I can just see it in 2016:

Jim856796: "I don't care if the sports are exciting, the ceremonies spectacular, and the scenery breathtaking, but these games are a fail if I can't mark on my personal scorecard what the main Olympic stadium is!"

Edited by Sir Rols

I (almost) feel sorry for him if something so trivial can ruin an entire games for him.

The mankind, the IOC and me (maybe you too) really don't care about what he thinks about the games... The can make a poll and we (if heard) would be less than 0,000001% of it...

The majority moves the world, if the majority is not really worried about for this (Brazilians who are actually paying the games are happy and 3/4 of the world thinks Maracana is a special sports venue), we really don't a have an issue...

But for 99.999 per cent of the world, they're not going to know or care. They'll be watching sports, or watching the ceremonies, and enjoying them for what they are. The vast vast majority of people aren't going to be watching them and marking them down on a scorecard for "infractions" like: "used two stadiums for cereminies and events - points deducted". It's ony a rare breed of Olympics nerds like the members of this august forum who will even notice that at all.

Jeezus, you REALLY need a new hobby.

I don't want a hobby.

All I care about is the Parade of Nations, the Athletes Oath, and the lighting of the Olympic Flame must take place at the Engenhao olympic Stadium.

I don't want a hobby.

All I care about is the Parade of Nations, the Athletes Oath, and the lighting of the Olympic Flame must take place at the Engenhao olympic Stadium.

Well, that's going to happen at Maracana, and it's not going to affect the quality of the games. So you might as well get used to it

There was a large number of empty seats at Maracana Stadium during the 2007 Pan Am Games closing ceremony.

Don't worry. The empty seats have already been removed and will NOT be returned.

There. Happy?

Why aren't you on the 2018 boards railing against PyeongChang? Or did you get this thread in the draw of the GB-Trolls?

Well, that's going to happen at Maracana, and it's not going to affect the quality of the games. So you might as well get used to it

Who cares about the quality? I don't want to get used to the idea, and I can't, because Olympic ceremonies need to be held at the Olympic Stadium like always.

And I don't want to rally against PyeongChang because I'm actually supporting its bid for 2018 Winter Games.

Who cares about the quality? I don't want to get used to the idea, and I can't, because Olympic ceremonies need to be held at the Olympic Stadium like always.

And I don't want to rally against PyeongChang because I'm actually supporting its bid for 2018 Winter Games.

Okay so I'm only going *slightly* off topic here. But with WOGs, ceremonies have been held in a variety of places: speed skating ovals (Albertville), ski-jumping arenas (Lillehammer, PyeongChang) or in stadia completely unrelated to winter sport (Nagano, SLC, Torino, Annecy, Sochi). I'm curious as to your stance on those Olympics, especially the ones where they had a stadium dedicated *just* for ceremonies. Even though no sporting event was held there, the ceremonies and Olympic flame were housed there *AND* the stadium was given the official moniker of "Olympic Stadium."

Okay so I'm only going *slightly* off topic here. But with WOGs, ceremonies have been held in a variety of places: speed skating ovals (Albertville), ski-jumping arenas (Lillehammer, PyeongChang) or in stadia completely unrelated to winter sport (Nagano, SLC, Torino, Annecy, Sochi). I'm curious as to your stance on those Olympics, especially the ones where they had a stadium dedicated *just* for ceremonies. Even though no sporting event was held there, the ceremonies and Olympic flame were housed there *AND* the stadium was given the official moniker of "Olympic Stadium."

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!

Rio_2007_Closing_Ceremony_2.jpg

So why can Maracana Stadium host Olympic ceremonies?

Or why can't Engenhao Stadium host Olympic Ceremonies?

The ceremonies of the PANAM 2007 was innovative. The part next to cauldron did not have tickets sold and were reserved for athletes, who after the parade of nations, could sit and watch the show. This picture must have been taken at the start of ceremony. According to some athletes, they liked because were less tired and had a better view. The closing ceremony has indeed a smaller public, since many athletes go home after the end of their competitions.

* Obviously this will not be done in the olympics, given the considerably larger number of athletes coming to the games.

Wow there are a LOT of empty seats not just aside the tinny flame wad, but all over above and on both sides. Also how unorganized could the choreography possibly be!!! It looks like they just waltzed out there without a plan, the opposite of Beijing (not that that's a fair comparison but come on)!

The real thing better be good, but I get the feeling the 2016 host kinda feels like the hard part is over.

Wow there are a LOT of empty seats not just aside the tinny flame wad, but all over above and on both sides. Also how unorganized could the choreography possibly be!!! It looks like they just waltzed out there without a plan, the opposite of Beijing (not that that's a fair comparison but come on)!

The real thing better be good, but I get the feeling the 2016 host kinda feels like the hard part is over.

Well, when the production company is picked this October, all the volunteer performers will have 5 years to practice in-between the Carnavale rehearsals!! Wow, Rio is going to have a very fit population!! :lol:

So it doesn't matter how good the games are, you are determined not to loike them if they don't choose the stadium plans YOU ant.

Conversly, it wouldn't matter how sh!thouse the games are, you're happy as long as they tally with your personal venue plan.

Pull your head in - it's going to be a looooong 5 years if you're going to keep up your silly sulking the whole time.

Good, cause over time doubts will be cast over Maracana hosting Olympic ceremonies.

The ceremonies will still not be shifted away from the Maracana.

Answer me one question - what's more important to you - that an Olympic Games be successful, or that they slavishly follow your personal venue preferences?