Unveiling Medals

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the CTV news report about them. So far rave reviews from the public. It's funny how all of the sudden everybody likes something about an official 2010 design after everything else has been lukewarm: the inuit-based emblem, the post-modern look of games, the asian inspired mascots. That and all of the griping about the potential emphasis or favourisitsm of aboriginal design. Just goes to show that things that are beautiful and innovative cross cultural definitions.

I believe I made a prediction about a year ago that VANOC would save west coast artwork for the medals and try to do other styles for the rest of the design element. I believe I was CORRECT. :lol:

What I love:

• The imagery: The way the design is engraved is really well done. It just looks cool.
  • The layout: The way the Rings/Agitos are offset from center, and the reverse as well. The designer/layout (was it the same guy who passed away over the summer? Such a terrible loss) is phenomenal. I've been consistently blown away by the "look" of these Games.
  • The ribbon As has been said, classy and subtle. I'm a fan of "less is more" and this meets it.
  • The shape: especially of the Paralympic medal (and how it echoes the shape of the logo)
  • The story behind the medals: Very cool way to include the FN community as well as make it modern.

What I like:

• The concept: I'm a huge fan of the "non-traditional" elements, especially seen in things like medal design, flame lighting, et al. IMO the best medals were Albertville (in crystal), Lillehammer (in granite), and Torino (using negative space) -- I'll begrudgingly include Nagano's lacquer, even though I really thought they looked tacky, especially with the color logo, and I'll give points to Salt Lake for shape.
  • The uniqueness: Each medal has a different "view" of the original artwork? That's pretty awesome. If you lay enough side-by-side, will you get a rough recreation of the original piece?

What I don't like:

• The shape: See above, in re: concept. I like the idea of the waves/mountains/etc. reflected in the medal, but I believe the execution didn't really come off as well as they'd hoped. When I look at the medals in those warped shapes, I'm reminded of Dali (not necessarily a bad thing), or as one paper put it, "like a vinyl record that's been sitting on the dashboard in the sun for too long" (or something like that). Also, the shape is the same for each medal? While it probably would have been prohibitively expensive to alter the die for each medal, I believe the repeated shape takes away from the intended uniqueness of each medal.

In the end, I'm giving the medals a high B+/low A-. Outstanding imagery and layout, and a great design/shape concept. The execution is lacking, though. Truthfully, I believe the impact of the design (Corrine Hunt's imagery, the individual "view" of each medal, the offset Rings/Agitos) would have been amazing enough without the added element of the shape.

What I don't like:
  • The shape: See above, in re: concept. I like the idea of the waves/mountains/etc. reflected in the medal, but I believe the execution didn't really come off as well as they'd hoped. When I look at the medals in those warped shapes, I'm reminded of Dali (not necessarily a bad thing), or as one paper put it, "like a vinyl record that's been sitting on the dashboard in the sun for too long" (or something like that). Also, the shape is the same for each medal? While it probably would have been prohibitively expensive to alter the die for each medal, I believe the repeated shape takes away from the intended uniqueness of each medal.

In the end, I'm giving the medals a high B+/low A-. Outstanding imagery and layout, and a great design/shape concept. The execution is lacking, though. Truthfully, I believe the impact of the design (Corrine Hunt's imagery, the individual "view" of each medal, the offset Rings/Agitos) would have been amazing enough without the added element of the shape.

Are you joking? :blink:

What I love:
  • The imagery: The way the design is engraved is really well done. It just looks cool.
  • The layout: The way the Rings/Agitos are offset from center, and the reverse as well. The designer/layout (was it the same guy who passed away over the summer? Such a terrible loss) is phenomenal. I've been consistently blown away by the "look" of these Games.
  • The ribbon As has been said, classy and subtle. I'm a fan of "less is more" and this meets it.
  • The shape: especially of the Paralympic medal (and how it echoes the shape of the logo)
  • The story behind the medals: Very cool way to include the FN community as well as make it modern.

What I like:

• The concept: I'm a huge fan of the "non-traditional" elements, especially seen in things like medal design, flame lighting, et al. IMO the best medals were Albertville (in crystal), Lillehammer (in granite), and Torino (using negative space) -- I'll begrudgingly include Nagano's lacquer, even though I really thought they looked tacky, especially with the color logo, and I'll give points to Salt Lake for shape.
  • The uniqueness: Each medal has a different "view" of the original artwork? That's pretty awesome. If you lay enough side-by-side, will you get a rough recreation of the original piece?

What I don't like:

All good points...and yes the shape is a bit out there, but its still original and very nicely done. Dali's clocks were sliding off the table, these kind of remind me of potato chips! LOL

Seriously, I am a huge critic of most of the graphic identity work so far...its nice but luke warm at best. There is little innovation...just glimmers here and there. The medals are the first thing that I have seen that have impressed me.

The coolest thing for me is that each is unique and that each winner will get a silk scarf of the entire art work design. There is something very special about thinking that all of these athletes have something original and one of a kind and that, if all of them brought their medals together, they could re-create the entire art piece. Its about both individuality and the collective spirit...

Well done!

Rachel Marsden's blog. She is one sick individual who should be stripped of her citizenship. She's worst than Coulter.

Now even the Vancouver Olympics medals are Native American. I'm so excited I threw my dreamcatcher across my tipi

After coming out with a Native American Olympic logo and mascots, the Vancouver Winter Olympics has unveiled the Olympic medals and they are – yes! – “aboriginal designed”. As a Canadian myself, I was so excited I threw my dreamcatcher across my tipi.

Just one question. Has anyone checked the list of Canadian athletes competing at these games? I’m assuming that three quarters of them will be Native Americans, in keeping with the theme, and national honour demands that at least two thirds of medal winners will be from aboriginal stock. (To make sure they are not culturally disadvantaged, “calm inducing” Native American plants won’t be considered a banned substance in the event that competitors wish to toke up before launching themselves down a mountain or across a sheet of ice with blades strapped to their feet.)

I’ll be watching, and if I detect even the slightest hint of “racism” I’ll be dragging everyone before a human rights tribunal. Held in a sweat lodge, naturally.

Source: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/rachelma...across-my-tipi/

I'm not that impressed, but I do appreciate the concept behind it. The Torino 2006 medal design is still my all-time favorite.

So we have a donut. Now it's a potato chip. I wonder what's next.

HAHHAHHA Thats so funny :)

I agree with you Donuts and potato chips heheh

next will be hmmmm dildo

The Royal Canadian Mint designed and produced these 2010 medals. Visit their website on the medals:

http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/medals-4400016

No Hunt and another engineer designed the medals (VANOC got two tenders and equally liked them and asked the artist to put their design (Corrine Hunt) and the shape (Omar Arbel) together). The mint just produced them.