Vancouver Olympic Media Updates

Got oodles of Olympic media info for you today! :D

Yes, we start, my friends north of the border with our hosts in Canada. Canada's Olympic Host Media Broadcaster Consortium announced hours ago that Olympic fans in Canada can watch the live simulcast coverage on the Cineplex Odeon high definition cinema screens in surround sound in 64 theaters for 17 days, where currently light up close and personal vignettes featuring Canada's Olympic hopefuls are showing before the feature presentation, from BC to Quebec (sorry, Atlantic Canada)...with a few restrictions here and there. This continues a trend started with the Met Operas and NHL games. Why isn't NBC planning to do likewise? A very interesting and cool idea that will boost theater attendance. Get ready for some Olympic parties in those showings.

CTV/RDS Olympic Coverage Hits the Big Screen Across Canada

Also hours ago at Berlin's Canadian Embassy (how apt), ARD and ZDF jointly and officially announce their Vancouver coverage with Katarina Witt, Marcus Wasmeier, Peter Schlinkenrieder, Franziska Schenk, Rene Kindermann, Claus Lufen, Sven Fischer, Jens Weissflog, Michael Antwerpes, ARD Volker Herres, MDR's Wolf-Dieter Jacobi, Sven Norbert Voss, Katrin Muller-Hohenstein (the keyboard I use in the school library has no capabilities for umlauts or the German SS alphabet letter, sorry), Michael Steinbrecher, and ZDF's Nikolaus Brender among them were all on hand to present this with extensive coverage in front of 40 photographers and 150 other journalists. For Fischer this is the first time he's utilized as an analyst for biathlon. ZDF also took the time to present its coverage mascot, something known to Canadians and will act as an ambassador of sorts to Germans: what else? a beaver. We already know a few preliminary things about their plans leading up to this. Okay, the coverage plans from both networks:

-coverage begins with Das Erste airing the Opening Ceremony at the BC Place Stadium live with ZDF doing the Closing Ceremony, as the two always alternate the ceremonies both Winter and Summer

-between them over 320 hours, each up to 18 hours a day, are in store for Vancouver 2010 under the motto: "Live, Live, Live" with the two alternating each Olympic day, much of the Olympic events will be held during the European primetime thanks to the nine hour difference from Vancouver to Germany

-ARD's coverage is going to be in three blocks 18:00 to 1:00 with Michael Antwerpes live calling from Whistler for biathlon, cross country skiing, ski jumping, and alpine skiing, from 1:00 to 9:00 Claus Lufen hosts "Olympia Live from Vancouver" with luge/skeleton, bobsledding, figure skating, ice hockey, short track, and speed skating, and finally Gerhard Delling rounds it all out for Germans waking up in the morning with a retrospective of the previous day and looking ahead to the next day with experts on an "Olympia Extra from Whistler" from 9:00 to 12:00.

-Reportedly, one of ARD's digital channels EinsFestival will cover up to 18 hours of Olympic coverage daily

-ARD Radio will air bulletins around the clock from the Olympic Games structured around three things: Live, News, Exclusive Background, ARD Olympic Night. The last one will be presented from February 12 to March 1 from 23:00 to 6:00 and be simulcasted on all ARD and its 46 "radio wave" stations all over Germany

-No, Internet users won't be left out in the cold there. News, scores, analysis, personal interactivities, sounds, photos, on demand full event and highlight videos, and other features (like Katarina Witt's Olympic diary) will be prominent on ARD's Olympic site, which right now is just a countdown, that'll be in biz on January 12

It seems as though the bigger networks are planning to have separate studios in both the Vancouver Convention Centre's IBC and at Whistler...

According to NZ's edition of the Throng blog posted in early November, Prime will air the Vancouver Olympics from 6am to 6pm NZ time on a daily basis. Naturally, it'll place an emphasis on the Kiwi Olympians and make sure they will get an appearance, wherever they compete. The sportscasting team has yet to be announced (ditto with Sky Sport New Zealand) and we don't know exactly yet the structure of Prime's or SKY's coverage, the sports in the former's case. We know the hours NZ will have. Will both broadcast both ceremonies, or will Prime get exclusivity on that like Nine does across the Tazman Sea?

Here is what SBS, South Korea's exclusive Olympic TV broadcaster for BOTH Koreas, is doing leading up to Vancouver. This is presently the only English-langauge info I can find dealing with what Seoul Broadcasting System is doing with its Olympic plans. Short track, a big Winter Olympic sport for Koreans, is bound to be featured on SBS. Can't get how many hours it will air altogether from Vancouver--likely not yet official. But I wonder will perhaps because of the CTC association, could this be shown on OMNI TV as a last minute addition, since Korean is part of the language roster for the Olympic Media Consortium?

Did I mention that ELTA Technology will manage all the Olympic media platform rights--free-to-air, satelitte/cable TV, Internet, cell (or mobile), and radio in Taiwan (Chinese Taipei), meaning that for the first time Taiwanese get more wall to wall Winter Olympic coverage?

This agreement the IOC and the ABU, many of which that are in the deal come from the West Asian to the Southeast Asian region with ESPN Star Sports certainly puts the kibosh on ASTRO in Malaysia, MediaCorp/Star Hub in Singapore, and Arena in Indonesia (or the YouTube Olympic site for nations that lack comprehensive coverage in the bigger nations for Beijing). Daily highlights on the regular free-to-air TV networks is expected. But it's a reduction for cable from they used to air in terms of hours--come on, 60 hours of Vancouver fun? A lot more hours was televised before then. ESPN Star Sports knows this, and surely that will be corrected with specific temporary Olympic pay-TV channels, since the Winter Olympics don't garner as much local interest and produce few, if at all, Winter Olympic medal contenders from those areas.

Memorabillia, I do recall Canal Plus broadcasting the Torino Winter Olympics because I printed out the TV schedule from it, and, unlike France TV, judging from the schedule, it stayed with the sporting events from start to finish instead of jumping from event to event like a lot of TV networks formerly did in the past.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That ever popular Beijing's Some Olympic TV Updates now has a Vancouver remix for all of us to enjoy! Let's start with, who else?, our hosts from north of the US border. If you been reading the pre

CTV British Columbia does it again with a massive array of TV promos centering on Vancouver residents with Bill Good and Pamela Martin. Last week, Belgium'

...And CTV BC still kept coming with those Olympic promos immediately in the afterglow! "Blkjock81" did a nice arrangement using the CTV 2010 B

Is this the Eurosport Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic TV schedule?

It's all supposedly running 24 hours a day. But we don't know exactly what hockey games Eurosport is airing--I gues it's more catered to the various European regions the channel and language(s) is airing. Also Wikipedia says Eurosport 2 is involved in this as well, but that schedule is yet to be known. And it's starting with the preliminary ski jumping and men's 1500m short track speed skating not the OC. There's daily news and Olympic Extra Large.

Wikipedia says Russia's Olympic broadcasting will by presented by Channel One (Pervy Kanal), Russia, and Russia 2 (RTR Sport in a more conventional programming for "young and active" Russians) for free-to-air. Satelitte comprehensive coverage comes from NTV Plus. HD Olympic coverage is to be provided by NTV Plus Sport, Channel One, and the VGTRK (the Russia ones) channels. Don't look for the Russia channels to be air the Olympics in various languages for its regions.

The Ukraine's UT1 is back at it for Vancouver.

The same old roster from NBC Olympics from the last Olympics, according to Wiki, is also back for Vancouver with Telemundo, USA, MSNBC, and CNBC. All will be on HD, though in the case of MSNBC's and CNBC's portions of the coverage, it may be all on Universal HD again.

CT4, the Czech digital all-sports TV channel, currently has a weekly 35-minute Olympic show called ZOH Vancouver 2010.

The same old roster from NBC Olympics from the last Olympics, according to Wiki, is also back for Vancouver with Telemundo, USA, MSNBC, and CNBC. All will be on HD, though in the case of MSNBC's and CNBC's portions of the coverage, it may be all on Universal HD again.

Durban, where on Wikipedia are you getting that info from? The only confirmations I've seen about NBC's coverage from Vancouver is that Bob Costas will be the primetime host and that Al Michaels will handle the daytime coverage. And MSNBC and CNBC both have their own dedicated HD channels now, so it may not be necessary for them to use Universal HD again.

Once again, Quaker2001 pointed out to me the error of my last post. Yes, it's true MSNBC and CNBC each have their own HD channels. Though it's not yet officially confirmed, Patrick himself says he'll be in involved with NBC's coverage, but the portfolio is not yet known. Jim Lampley, I can safely assume, will be involved somewhere unless it is officially otherwise, which I'd be shocked. Wikipedia's listing DOES include Telemundo. I thought Universal HD might get involved in the Olympics, but it is not the case this time around

An update regarding Russia: NTV Plus is now listed as a maybe for the more comprehensive cable/satelitte Olympic coverage. We don't know exactly what it'll be. Wikipedia also notes that Indonesia's TV representation, now listed, comes from RCTI and Global TV. I wrote here that ESPN Star Sports got the rights to air the Vancouver Winter Olympics, so either those services will feature ESPN as part of their cable service or allowed/paid the network to air the Games through them. I don't know the intracies of how broadcasting rights in sports works in southeast Asia in particular, so hopefully someone will help me there.

I read that Nederland 1 will cover the 2010 Winter Olympische Spelen for the Dutch market. Also for HD. What about the cable/satelitte?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Winter_O...cs_Broadcasting

FOXTEL's Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic TV Promo

It just hit YouTube yesterday. Aside from seeing quickie scenes of Steven Bradbury, Alisa Camplin, and Jono Brauer, there's no much Aussie in this, save for a subtle shot of the Australian flag in the background while Nancy Kerrigan skates.

Not yet officially announced but TV SLO2, part of RTV Slovenija, will air the Vancouver Winter Olympics (ZOI in Slovenian?) for Slovenians, as just added to the Wikipedia list. More details will emerge soon.

FOXTEL's Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic TV Promo

It just hit YouTube yesterday. Aside from seeing quickie scenes of Steven Bradbury, Alisa Camplin, and Jono Brauer, there's no much Aussie in this, save for a subtle shot of the Australian flag in the background while Nancy Kerrigan skates.

Interesting that there's no Begg-Smith. I guess we never did warm to him really. A bit too mercenary for our tastes.

Solar Sports will really air the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I have watched Solar Sports today while swimming with friends at my father's hotel. (I don't live there, I live at a nearby flat.)

Then, after turning on the TV in my father's hotel room which carries a cable provider different from what I have, and checked that it has Solar Sports (I don't have it at home), it has come to my attention that they are getting ready for their Winter Olympic coverage.

In addition to the channel's bug at the top right of the screen, another bug now appears on the top left (sometimes at the bottom) of the screen. It has the Vancouver 2010 "Inutshuk" logo on it, but with a countdown ("45 Days To Go!") at the bottom replacing the "Vancouver 2010" lettering and the Olympic Rings.

Later, as I prepared for home, I also saw what could be a plug for Solar Sports' coverage. I only saw the last part, an appearance of the Solar Sports and Vancouver 2010 logos with "Official Broadcaster" at the bottom, with those three mascots goofing around the picture for the sake of their cuteness.

If you have more info about Solar Sports coverage (e.g. if they have some coverage for the main SolarTV channel), I would be appreciated.

Coverage plans for men's Olympic hockey announcement

CTVOlympics.ca

Posted Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:03 PM ET

Canada narrowing in on Olympic hockey roster

CTV is mobilizing more than a dozen platforms to provide coverage of Canada's 2010 men's Olympic hockey team announcement on Dec. 30.

Beginning at noon (ET) a one-hour special aired from Saskatoon, Sask. will be broadcast live on 13 CTV networks, The FAN radio network and Corus Quebec and streamed on its websites.

A 16-page supplement analyzing the Team Canada roster will appear the following day, Dec. 31, in The Globe and Mail.

"The announcement of the men's hockey roster for Vancouver 2010 will be a galvanizing moment for all Canadians to share and experience together," said Keith Pelley, President, Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

"Across a multitude of platforms, in both English and French, the Consortium is committed to providing Canadians with exclusive coverage and analysis of this significant announcement. The table is set for the entire country to experience Team Canada's selection and its quest for gold."

The roster announcement will air Dec. 30 exclusively on CTV, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, OLN, OMNI, APTN, ATN, /A\, CTV News Channel, CP24, CP24 and NHL Network. French coverage will appear exclusively on RDS and RIS Info Sports.

Coverage of the announcement will also be streamed live on CTVOlympics.ca and RDSOlympiques.ca alongside English live blogs with commentary from writers Eric Duhatschek and TV reporter Darren Dreger. Both sites will also offer player profiles, photo galleries and feature articles.

French live blogs on RDSolympiques.ca will feature Men's Hockey Game Analyst Norman Flynn and RDS hockey analyst Marc Denis.

Brian Williams will host the one-hour broadcast special, Olympic Prime Time on CTV, starting at noon. Joining Williams in Saskatoon, where commentators will be gathered to cover the Men's World Junior Championships, are Rogers Sportsnet's Daren Millard, TSN's Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire, and the hockey panel of Rogers Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos and TSN's James Duthie and Bob McKenzie, who will provide analysis and reaction.

In Toronto, TSN's Dave Hodge will interview key players named to the team. The show will also include exclusive live interviews with Team Canada Executive Director Steve Yzerman, Team Canada Head Coach Mike Babcock, Team Canada Associate Directors Doug Armstrong, Ken Holland and Kevin Lowe, and Hockey Canada President/CEO Bob Nicholson.

THE FAN 590 Toronto, The FAN 960 Calgary and Corus Quebec's CKAC Sports will air the announcement live on radio.

Claude Mailhot, of Olympic Morning on RDS and V, will host a French one-hour special, La fierte du Canada: La selection de l'equipe.

A hockey panel including Alain Crête, Jacques Demers, Joël Bouchard and Norman Flynn will join Mailhot. Reporter Stéphane Leroux will provide reaction and analysis alongside Pierre Houde and Benoit Brunet. Houde and Brunet will be live from Tampa where they will be calling for RDS the evening's Montreal Canadiens game.

The show will also include exclusive live interviews with the Team Canada management team.

EXCLUSIVE LIVE COVERAGE OF CANADA’S PRIDE: THE SELECTION OF THE MEN’S OLYMPIC HOCKEY TEAM BY CANADA’S OLYMPIC BROADCAST MEDIA CONSORTIUM, DEC. 30

-- 13 television networks, CTVOlympics.ca, RDSolympiques.ca, THE FAN Radio Network and Corus Québec to air one-hour special at 12 noon ET from Saskatoon --

-- The Globe and Mail to produce 16-page supplement analyzing Team Canada roster, Dec. 31 --

It’s arguably the most scrutinized and anticipated hockey team announcement of all time, and Canadians across the country will be able to experience it live and exclusively on Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium’s suite of assets and more, in partnership with Hockey Canada.

CANADA’S PRIDE: THE SELECTION OF THE MEN’S OLYMPIC HOCKEY TEAM will air Wednesday, Dec. 30 at 12 noon ET in English exclusively on CTV, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, OLN, OMNI, APTN, ATN, /A\, CTV News Channel, CP24 and NHL Network. In French, the one-hour show will air exclusively on RDS and RIS Info Sports. CTVOlympics.ca and RDSolympiques.ca will provide live streaming coverage, while THE FAN 590 Toronto, THE FAN 960 Calgary and Corus Québec’s CKAC Sports will air the announcement live on radio.

“The announcement of the men’s hockey roster for Vancouver 2010 will be a galvanizing moment for all Canadians to share and experience together,” said Keith Pelley, President, Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium. “Across a multitude of platforms, in both English and French, the Consortium is committed to providing Canadians with exclusive coverage and analysis of this significant announcement. The table is set for the entire country to experience Team Canada’s selection and its quest for gold.”

Anchored in English by Brian Williams, host of OLYMPIC PRIME TIME ON CTV, the one-hour broadcast special takes place in Saskatoon, where Hockey Canada will hold a press conference to unveil Team Canada’s roster for Vancouver 2010. Joining Williams in Saskatoon are Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard, TSN’s Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire, and the hockey panel of Rogers Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and TSN’s James Duthie and Bob McKenzie, who will provide analysis and reaction. In Toronto, TSN’s Dave Hodge will conduct interviews with key players named to the team. The show will also include exclusive live interviews with Team Canada Executive Director Steve Yzerman, Team Canada Head Coach Mike Babcock, Team Canada Associate Directors Doug Armstrong, Ken Holland and Kevin Lowe, and Hockey Canada President/CEO Bob Nicholson.

The French one-hour special LA FIERTÉ DU CANADA : LA SÉLECTION DE L’ÉQUIPE OLYMPIQUE DE HOCKEY MASCULIN will be hosted by Claude Mailhot, host of OLYMPIC MORNING ON RDS and V, and also includes live coverage of the Hockey Canada press conference. Joining Mailhot is the hockey panel of Alain Crête, Jacques Demers, Joël Bouchard and Norman Flynn. Reporter Stéphane Leroux will be on hand for reaction and analysis, as will Pierre Houde and Benoit Brunet, who will be live from Tampa where they will be calling the Montreal Canadiens game for RDS later that evening. The show will also include exclusive live interviews with the Team Canada management team.

CTVOlympics.ca and RDSolympiques.ca are the exclusive homes for live streaming coverage of the announcement. CTVOlympics.ca also offers interactive polls and a live blog with hockey experts Eric Duhatschek and Stephen Brunt of The Globe and Mail and TSN’s Darren Dreger, while RDSolympiques.ca will hold live blogs with RDS hockey analyst Marc Denis and Norman Flynn, game analyst for Men’s Hockey at Vancouver 2010. The two sites offer the most in-depth coverage of the Olympic Games hockey tournament, including rosters, profiles, photo galleries and analysis of all of Team Canada’s competition at the 2010 Winter Games.

“This is the most anticipated hockey announcement in years and combined with the weekday lunch-hour timing of the event, we anticipate record-breaking audiences on CTVOlympics.ca and RDSolympiques.ca,” said Alon Marcovici, Vice President of Digital Media and Research, Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium. “With the hype and excitement leading up to the team announcement and the opportunity for Canadians to shape and share content on the websites, we expect that like our delivery of the Olympic Games themselves, this will be a watershed moment in sports media.”

On December 31, The Globe and Mail will feature a 16-page supplement, entitled VANCOUVER 2010: THE MEN’S HOCKEY TEAM with extensive analysis, reports, and features from the newspaper’s award-winning team of Brunt, Duhatschek, Roy MacGregor and Allan Maki.

About Hockey Canada

Hockey Canada is the governing body for hockey in Canada and a member of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), with a membership through its 13 provincial branch associations of over 700,000 players, coaches and officials. Hockey Canada is a not-for-profit organization that creates leading-edge hockey development programs for its members to deliver in communities across Canada, provides consistent rules and regulations and various other membership services from coast to coast, manages numerous regional, national and international hockey championships and events, and leads the operation of all teams that represent Canada in international hockey competition. Hockey Canada’s mission is to “lead, develop and promote positive hockey experiences.”

About Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium

Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium is a unique relationship between leading media conglomerates CTV Inc. and Rogers Media Inc., which together will provide unprecedented coverage and consumer choice in English, French and multi-languages on multiple platforms for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games and the London 2012 Games of the Olympiad. Official brands include CTV, TSN, RDS, RIS Info Sports, Rogers Sportsnet, OMNI, OLN, V, APTN, ATN, CTVOlympics.ca, RDSolympiques.ca, The Globe and Mail, Corus Québec and select Rogers radio stations across the country.

-END-

All Lietuvos Televizas has mentioning of Vancouver 2010 broadcasting is of the countdown at the homepage of its website.

We had FOXTEL's promo for Vancouver 2010. Now having arrived on Christmas Eve, the slew of Nine Network (Channel 9) Vancouver 2010 Olympic promos. All center on the theme of winter, snow, and winter sports hitting Australia all over during the peak of the hot Australian summer. Eddie McGuire, Ken Sutcliffe, and Leila McKinnon (?) lead the way with the rest of the Nine Olympic team, including Bradbury, Camplin, and Ziljstra in the pack (those three will do double duty for FOXTEL). Some thing tells me the presentation, logo, theme music, and coverage intro will be used for the actual Games. If you noticed, the standard Olympic broadcast logo isn't exactly used for Nine like even Foxtel (and other broadcasting outlets worldwide) uses. Why didn't 7 thought of using this concept when it had the rights for so long.

Nine Network's Full Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic TV Promo

10-second TV bumper (snowboarding along Bondi and ice hockey at Sydney Harbour)

Nine Network Vancouver Winter Olympics TV Identity

Another short promo (skiing on Ayers Rock/Uluru)

Nine Network Olympic Promo Featuring Aerialist Lydia Lassida

Jetstar Airlines and Samsung Mobile were named sponsors for Nine's coverage. More are sure to follow. I'll get those later when I can.

No promos emerged from either Sky New Zealand or PRIME in NZ yet on YouTube.

How Universal Sports will get involved with the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics with the NBC Olympic family

Along with being news-oriented and in-studio in the daily coverage here, now we will see how we Americans will get the Olympic musicians gathering for Vancouver more or less in their entireties. Plus, now we know where the Olympic Ice program in that ever popular figure skating events that was on USA during Turin (or Torino) will go. Still, not many people have Universal Sports yet. Will that change in time for the start of the Opening Ceremonies, particularly with digital satelitte? You'd assume stuff like that will get on-demand online. Surely, we can see something like this again--and more extensive--come London in two years time.

A 90-second sneak preview of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games from Nine.

In it you brief shots of the notable Aussie Winter Olympians going for glory like Jacqui Cooper, Lydia Lassida, Dale Begg-Smith, Tatiana Borondulina, Craig Branch, and Lachlan Hay with quick scenes of Olympic glory like even the Miracle On Ice team, Bradbury, Camplin, Begg-Smith, and the Hermanator. Nine sports anchor Ken Sutcliffe does the voiceover here, at one point, mentioning WIN Broadcasting, which, for the uniniatiated the regional areas and cities like Newcastle, Gosford, and Wollongong have that are in the place of 9 officially there like PRIME is to 7. Also, here's the Jetstar and Samsung Mobile identities. In addition, FOXTEL will re-air both ceremonies (with 9's commentary) for both Vancouver and London after the Nine Network airs them live. Just don't know what channel yet.

Still don't know what exactly Rogers Sportsnet, OLN, and Channel A will do, what sports, how many hours as part of their share of the coverage. If you got info, fill it in here. Hopefully, I'll find more here soon.

Not exactly breaking news. But we now have the GB Forums' unveiling of the Official Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games TV Intro straight from the OBS' debut. The Polish seemingly get and react to this things like this first. What do you guys think? I think this is among the better ones out there so far with Sydney, Athens, Beijing, and Nagano IMO. Wasn't too thrilled about Torino's. Interesting to me in this how just how it incorporates only downtown Vancouver with iconic points like the downtown Vancouver Public Library, the Lions Gate Bridge, BC Place, and Canada Place, along with the usual downtown skyline, and not the adjacent Whistler mountain areas. And it's something really wintry.

This post is just going to be more Olympic TV promos from around the world. To start things off with is Italy. RAI has more or less turned into the junior partner for Italian TV's rights to the Games. But here's the

; it's likely going to be RAI Dua that will cover the Winter Olympics and sports anyway out of the three RAI channels. This is
. Bear in mind, this was done and aired prior to Rio's selection as the 2016 Olympic hosts.

As a nation that is more about having a tropical climate with no snow and, while it particpates in many Winter Olympics, Brazil lacks a solid and successful pedigree. Consequently, winter sports only earn very marginal interest and knowledge to Brazillians, possibly in a curious manner. In the following series of promos from SporTV, these discuss the basics and disciplines, where necessary, of each Winter Olympic sport and the objectives in them for those curious. The promos also note SporTV and SporTV 2 will broadcast Vancouver 2010.

SporTV on Figure Skating

SporTV on Hockey

SporTV on Ski Jumping

SporTV on Snowboarding

SporTV on Bobsledding

That's bloody fantastic!!!!!

Not exactly breaking news. But we now have the GB Forums' unveiling of the Official Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games TV Intro straight from the OBS' debut. The Polish seemingly get and react to this things like this first. What do you guys think? I think this is among the better ones out there so far with Sydney, Athens, Beijing, and Nagano IMO. Wasn't too thrilled about Torino's. Interesting to me in this how just how it incorporates only downtown Vancouver with iconic points like the downtown Vancouver Public Library, the Lions Gate Bridge, BC Place, and Canada Place, along with the usual downtown skyline, and not the adjacent Whistler mountain areas. And it's something really wintry.

This post is just going to be more Olympic TV promos from around the world. To start things off with is Italy. RAI has more or less turned into the junior partner for Italian TV's rights to the Games. But here's the

; it's likely going to be RAI Dua that will cover the Winter Olympics and sports anyway out of the three RAI channels. This is
. Bear in mind, this was done and aired prior to Rio's selection as the 2016 Olympic hosts.

As a nation that is more about having a tropical climate with no snow and, while it particpates in many Winter Olympics, Brazil lacks a solid and successful pedigree. Consequently, winter sports only earn very marginal interest and knowledge to Brazillians, possibly in a curious manner. In the following series of promos from SporTV, these discuss the basics and disciplines, where necessary, of each Winter Olympic sport and the objectives in them for those curious. The promos also note SporTV and SporTV 2 will broadcast Vancouver 2010.

SporTV on Figure Skating

SporTV on Hockey

SporTV on Ski Jumping

SporTV on Snowboarding

SporTV on Bobsledding

Locations are rumoured to be either the grand plaza of the new Vancouver Convention Centre (Main Media Centre) at the central waterfront or the Peak of Vancouver at Grouse Mountain:

Not sure that we have a confirmation on this forum and did not find anything on internet...

Do we know where will be located the NBC Today show podium ?

Edited by memorabilia
Not sure that we have a confirmation on this forum and did not find anything on internet...

Do we know where will be locate the NBC Today show podium ?

The Peak of Grouse Mountain, overlooking the city.

The Vancouver 2010 TV Intro from OBS sure looks fantastic, jawnbc. I really like it! My question is will the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Host Olympic Consortium will utilize it, even if it's just online streams rather than TV broadcasts (maybe the OC and CC)? More on them later. We know for sure NBC won't use it. I gotta tell you the intro premiered in late December around Christmas. Definitely not the cliched one with the vast pine forests, lumberjacks, Mounties, and the like. Could've used the First Nation references, but that could be cliched too.

A more detailed press release of Universal Sports' Vancouver plans (80 hours in total) In related news, Matisyahu is all over NBC's Olympic promos leading up to Vancouver with his "One Day" track that premiered in November

. Excellent one! Pretty apt for use the song and theme of taking just one day to Olympic glory. Makes you anticipate the Vancouver Winter Olympics even more. Especially when the CTV Olympic promos have disappeared lately from the airwaves. Nine's and FOXTEL's are just as good. Apollo Anton Ohnotalking about his relationship with his father on the road to Olympic glory in his NBC promo.

Germany's ARD's (Das Erste) Vancouver Olympische Winterspelen 2010 HD TV Trailer. ZDF's has yet to hit, but should be if we look hard enough. This is another very well-done one, also from free of BC cliches. ARD is so quick to remind us that these Games on HD.

SVT's Olympic Website Not any TV updates as of right now, but still some good stuff to check out.

I spoke a little too soon regarding CTV's promos because, since December, those "Believe In 2010" promos with Donald Sutherland's narration began anew on CTV as we get closer by the day to the Opening Ceremonies (and the ski jump qualifications to a lesser extent). I knew they were going to do so but didn't know exactly when. This time we have a whole new batch of Canadian Olympic hopefuls profiled. Still, there's no French-language version of them, perhaps because there were no interest or any prominent Quebecois media personality or Olympians willing to do this.

OK, we now got some details regarding NHK's Olympic plans. In an English press release on its website datied from last month, NHK announced "compelling high definition coverage of both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and all the events" in Vancouver. NHK's general hub will focus on the especially popular winter sports that the Japanese public likes such as the ladies' figure skating free skate, either live or recorded. Surely both ceremonies will be aired live and repeated. On those, NHK's Shinichi Takeda and Yuko Aoyama will present the OC. BS-1, true to its motto "BS-1 does it all", will air 22 hours daily of Winter Olympic fun. NHK Radio One will cover the Vancouver Olympics on its station as it happens to cover noteworthy events. Also, NHK chose Japanese four-man JPOP band L'Arc-en-Ciel's song "Bless", a song that won't be available until January 27th, because of the band's crossover appeal in Japan. Yes, the live stuff will be on NHK On Demand online for those who miss the stuff. Fuji TV, one of the private TV members of the Japan Broadcast Olympic Consortium, for its part, chose Ai Otsuka's "Lucky Star" as the theme song for its coverage of events like figure skating and curling.

NTV, another one of the Japanese Olympic TV Consortium networks, tapped Arashi's "Yurasi, Ima Wo" to act as NTV's theme song for its portion of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics coverage in Japan. The song will also be the winter theme for the network's news show, Zoom in Super.

Westwood One's Vancouver 2010 Olympic Radio Intiniary

Compared to what Rogers Media family of radio stations will do for Canada, we American radio listeners could get a little batter from them. Some more play-by-play and analysis of other Olympic sports outside of Team USA matches would suffice. We all know just how such a visual spectacle the ceremonies are, so that's not going to work on radio (but Canada is getting that in both English and French). In the face of many sports radio stations across America being affiliates of ESPN, FOX Sports Radio, and the Sporting News Radio, this kind of coverage will have to do with millions of dollars in contracts granted and preexisting contracts to local sports teams that forces Westwood One to work around all that. It's kinds shame that satelitte radio, with its expansiveness for the Olympics in terms of radio coverage, apparently is not going to do more.

A silly and funny Nine Olympic promo featuring Nine's cricket commentators when the snow hits the Australian cricket ground.

Dale Begg-Smith, that golden Vancouver native "spam boy" and the young man some Aussies and Canadians love to hate (including some here), has his own Nine promo.

Another promo from Nine but it's under the NBN banner for those from Newcastle upwards to the Gold Coast. A ski jumping one.

The Chinese will take a particular interest in the Olympic Games in Vancouver, partly because of the massive Chinese demographics in Vancouver, there since the 18th and 19th Century that really took off with the railroad workers to now being the largest visible minority and diversely-speaking in Vancouver upwards to around possibly 400,000 in the metropolitan area. This is

FOXTEL's first TV promo for the Vancouver Winter Olympics coverage that I brought up and linked for you the other day had its access restricted by the FOXTEL people to those only within Australia. Pity. :( For many of us outside of it, this would be our only link to their coverage (barring someone uploading some of that stuff if they don't get restricted) and how we evaluate their coverage. I sincerely hope the good of FOXTEL reconsider, but I'm not counting on that.

Will YouTube and the IOC come to an agreement to grant access to many nations that don't have immense pre-installed television, Internet, and cell phone Olympic coverage to redo what they did for Beijing with daily news and highlights?

Catching up with some heavily Olympic-involved technology like video and data storage and HD transmission. The following is a catch all for the latest tech developments and companies that CTV/Rogers and NBC are enlisting for Vancouver. Actually, in one case, it's already being used for the announcement of the Canadian men's Olympic hockey team. Check out the recent Olympics technological news on both sides of the border. Obviously, with each passing Olympics Games, both summer and winter, the technology advances and innovative and becomes even more integrated with the broadcast.

Just because CTV aims to go all out for the Winter Olympics throughout the entire month of February in Canada as it has been heavily promoting it generating interest and awareness all across the nation since it's on Canadian home soil for almost two years now, that doesn't mean the other Canadian TV networks will roll over and play dead. They, in this case Global, got some potentially formidable competition that could take away some Canadian TV viewers from that Vancouver 2010 during sweeps. That show actually may get a greater impact with CBS, when it pits against NBC--and FOX doing likewise for four days next month with American Idol. But of course, the Grammys and the Oscars announced and managed to stay the hell away from the Olympic juggernaut this year and the month of February. TNT has the NBA All-Star Weekend in Dallas on though.

Speaking of the beleaguered and last place NBC, its NBC Sports president, Dick Ebersol, projects yesterday and admits NBC will lose at least in the hundreds of million of dollars in its coverage of Vancouver for the first time under his watch. This is partly due to a slower TV advertising slotting because of the recession, a much more diversified viewing public that is no longer flocking to the Olympics like it did in the past, higher licensing fees, and an all-around backlash toward the Olympics. All this despite shelling out $820 million just for Vancouver 2010, $200 million more than Torino. But don't look for the peacock to scale down the coverage; Ebersol also announced the NBC family will broadcast 835 hours of Olympic broadcasting starting in February 12th, more than double the number of hours combined of previous Olympic telecasts. Now since we got amazed with the 2400 hours from Canada and 1600 hours from the likes of Australia, New Zealand, and Italy. 835 hours seems puny. But it's really not. Remember, Canada has 22 languages involved in the coverage, largely English and French. The News Corp involved will air repeats of coverage from the other three. Germany, with just ARD/ZDF, is even smaller with 320 as a nation with an equally strong Winter Olympic tradition, but their digital channels will take care of the rest. Norway will get 500+ hours on NRK1 and NRK2. If I read earlier, the total coming from NBC will hit 1100+ hours, I can safely assume the rest will head to NBCOlympics.com as additional and on-demand coverage. Want more details on Universal Sports--and I think it's about time NBC starts doing full-fledged Olympic news, highlights, and analysis shows--click here. But this is the time of the year we should be hearing more details about Olympic TV programming. Still no official word regarding Telemundo's portion, but we should get some info soon. Anything like a daily highlight show will act as a disappointment.

I must clarify what I said regarding the numer of Winter Olympic TV hours in the US. It is certainly more than what NBC has aired in the Winter Olympics combined in the past. That's what I really should've meant. In any case, through Phillip Hersh's contribution to the LA Times Olympic blog, NBC's coverage as the flagship will be about the same as it was in Torino four years ago--121 hours. Obviously with the games in a more favorable time slotting this around, things will be more live for NBC. The structure will be the same: same amount of hours for prime time with the late night encore presentation, more extensive primetime hours on Sunday, more daytime hours on the weekends. USA can become like the The Hockey Network (save for Team USA and a few Team Canada games on primetime for NBC and the gold medal game on February 28). Beyond seeing MSNBC doing curling and CNBC perhaps taking up cross-country and nordic skiing and the biathlon, the puzzle is still taking shape over the sports. I'll analyze this more later. The bulk, presence, and boost of the coverage will of course come through MSNBC, CNBC, USA, and Universal Sports. With no live or delayed sports action of the same day's events to hold on to, that doesn't mean Universal Sports can't participate in this. Still don't about Telemundo. Hirsch discloses he'll be part of the Olympic panel in "Meet the Olympic Press".

Didn't know this until recently. But TSN, and not TNT, was the first cable supplement network in the world for the Winter Olympics back in 1988, when it assisted CTV. So the two had a history back then (TVA did the French language coverage), and Canada beat us to it. At the time TSN was owned by Labatt Breweries before the two integrated into the CTVglobemedia family--Labatt had to give it up after being taken over by Interbrew to comply with Canadian ownership requirements. Funnily enough, CTV created Sportsnet before acquiring TSN and selling Sportsnet to Rogers Media, the only interested selling party, when CTV purchased NetStar, then-owners of TSN, as ordered by the CRTC in 2000. I like to know the sports and how was the coverage it aired back in 1988.

Main Press Centre Opens For Business

The Main Press Centre (MPC) for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games opened for business today – 12 January – as it prepares to welcome around 2,800 accredited members of the print and photographic press. The MPC, along with the Whistler Media Centre, will be the focal point of written news distribution to the world, as the best winter athletes compete on the ice rinks and slopes of British Columbia.

The MPC will provide the world’s media with all of the technical and informational systems that they require in order to cover the Vancouver Games in the best possible manner. Linked to the International Broadcast Centre (IBC), which will host some 7,000 accredited broadcasters, it will see news and images sent around the globe on a 24-hour basis at Games time. The media are an essential part of bringing the Games to life and giving the sporting heroes of the event the place that they deserve in the public eye, and with the MPC, they will have everything that they need in order to do those sports men and women justice.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Media/?a...cleNewsGroup=-1

I must clarify what I said regarding the numer of Winter Olympic TV hours in the US. It is certainly more than what NBC has aired in the Winter Olympics combined in the past. That's what I really should've meant. In any case, through Phillip Hersh's contribution to the LA Times Olympic blog, NBC's coverage as the flagship will be about the same as it was in Torino four years ago--121 hours. Obviously with the games in a more favorable time slotting this around, things will be more live for NBC. The structure will be the same: same amount of hours for prime time with the late night encore presentation, more extensive primetime hours on Sunday, more daytime hours on the weekends. USA can become like the The Hockey Network (save for Team USA and a few Team Canada games on primetime for NBC and the gold medal game on February 28). Beyond seeing MSNBC doing curling and CNBC perhaps taking up cross-country and nordic skiing and the biathlon, the puzzle is still taking shape over the sports. I'll analyze this more later. The bulk, presence, and boost of the coverage will of course come through MSNBC, CNBC, USA, and Universal Sports. With no live or delayed sports action of the same day's events to hold on to, that doesn't mean Universal Sports can't participate in this. Still don't about Telemundo. Hirsch discloses he'll be part of the Olympic panel in "Meet the Olympic Press".

Just to be clear, that 121 hours represents the amount of ORIGINAL coverage on NBC. It doesn't count the re-airs. You're probably right that it will likely be a similar programming schedule to Torino. Obviously the main difference will be Late Night since that won't be the "Olympic Tonight Show" and will likely have event coverage and/or live coverage of medal ceremonies and such. We know Universal Sports' role in the coverage (which I think is a great addition, especially for a West Coast Olympics). I can only assume their coverage counts into the 835 total hours NBC mentioned since that's a much larger number than they broadcast from Torino. I do have info from the cable networks that USA is scaling back on their coverage this time around. They're only broadcasting 41 hours of coverage, all in the daytime. Below is the USA Network schedule. The times I got off the website, the sports they are covering right now are only guesses based on the schedule. What this does for MSNBC and CNBC is anyone's best guess, but it won't be like 2006 when USA Network was "the home of Team USA"..

Sunday 2/14 - 3:00pm-5:30pm - Women's Hockey: USA vs. China

Tuesday 2/16 - 12:00pm-6:00pm - Men's Curling: USA vs. Germany; Men's Hockey: USA vs. Switzerland

Wednesday 2/17 - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Women's Curling: USA vs. Germany

Thursday 2/18 - 12:00pm-5:30pm - Men's Curling: USA vs. Denmark; Men's Hockey: USA vs. Norway

Friday 2/19 - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Women's Curling: USA vs. Russia

Monday 2/22 - 12:00pm-6:00pm - Men's Curling: USA vs. Canada; ?

Tuesday 2/23 - 12:00pm-6:00pm - Women's Curling: USA vs. China; Men's Hockey: Qualification Game

Thursday 2/25 - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Women's Curling: Semi Final

Friday 2/26 - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Women's Curling: Bronze Medal Game

Saturday 2/27 - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Men's Curling: Bronze Medal Game

The opening of the IBC is not the only thing going in Vancouver Olympic media news in Canada.

Canada's Official Olympic Host Broadcasting Media Consortium officially announced the Internet Olympic plans with more to come in addition to a few more broadcast morsels to whet the Canadians' appetite--and how they chose to see it. As host broadcast, it will share the worldwide video feeds to any global TV network covering the Games who wants it, particularly when the IOC chose them to cover ice hockey, short track speed skating, figure skating, curling. It's going to be 2250 hours on TV, 2350 on the Internet, and 200 hours on radio from Rogers and Corus Quebec. I project Rogers Sportsnet will air up to 300 hours in its share of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics with an average of 18 hours a day.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/news...ic+broadcasting

In a related story also announced today from Toronto, because of the daily 22 hours of coverage, those wanting to see their favorite shows on CTV up there during that time will have to head toward CTV-owned /A\, which is part of the consortium but only as a mirror for the CTV schedule since there's no outright CTV affiliate in Newfoundland as /A\ Atlantic and as outlet for regular CTV programming for two weeks. CTV and /A\ programming will continue to be on demand on ctv.ca.

http://www.ctvmedia.ca/Atv/releases/releas...;yyyy=2010#url#

CTV News announces its news coverage during the Winter Olympics

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/...?aid=1000354394

It will cost around C$200 million to cover the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics to the Canadian public, but thanks to raising, despite a worldwide recession, somewhere between C$160-170 million in ad revenue, the group expects to break even after this is all done. Things are much more different when the Games are in your home nation. At the time when CTV was owned by Bell Canada, the consortium paid C$90 million for the rights to it. CBC President Robert Rabinovitch said CTV/Rogers overpaid.