Vancouver Olympic Media Updates

According to Wikipedia's Vancouver 2010 broadcaster list, Spain's RTVE will take part providing the Spanish coverage of Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics with an unprecedented amount of hours for Spain. TVE1, TVE2, and Teledeporte all cover them with Teledeporte doing the bulk of the coverage in hours, acting like Sky Sport in New Zealand, SKY Italia in Italy, and FOXTEL in Australia.

TyC Sport in Argentina, I'm certain, will broadcast a lot of the Games down there, not limited to the small Argentinian Olympian contingent. No official word yet about that.

Not sure about Eurosport's plans.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That ever popular Beijing's Some Olympic TV Updates now has a Vancouver remix for all of us to enjoy! Let's start with, who else?, our hosts from north of the US border. If you been reading the pre

CTV British Columbia does it again with a massive array of TV promos centering on Vancouver residents with Bill Good and Pamela Martin. Last week, Belgium'

...And CTV BC still kept coming with those Olympic promos immediately in the afterglow! "Blkjock81" did a nice arrangement using the CTV 2010 B

One thing I forgot about TVE/Teledeporte's coverage for Spain is now it's commonplace worldwide, at least for the West, is all of TVE's coverage at least will appear on TVE HD.

Now onto the big news that was unvieled today in Canada. But before I get to that I must note that TQS (Television Quatre Saisons or Four Seasons Television in French), the Quebec TV network acting as part of the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium, rebranded itself now starting today as V following Montreal-based Remstar's 2008 acquisition of the financially struggling network. As part of its repositioning and shedding its name, moniker, and the black sheep logo, TQS named itself as V for the channel's new mission of "vedesse" (stars), "vitesse" (speed), "voyages" (trips), and "vice ou verite" (vices and truths).

A plethora of pre-Olympic programming was just announced by the Canadian Olympic Media Consortium today with the NHL Network, Discovery Network, and Bravo! taking part that starts today with the return of RDS' Vers Vancouver to February 7 ending with the Discovery Channel Canada's Daily Planet On The Road. Whatever CTV has on its slate of pre-olympic programming, V (TQS) will air the French version at exactly the same date and time. Man, what an Olympic programming slate Canadians would get on TV to get a feel and the spirit, the perservence, and the passion of the Games coming to Vancouver and get to know their hometown athletes, many who aren't yet household names to the Canadian public! Among other things, the Canadian Olympic Media Consortium was granted unprecedented access to Team Canada hockey in getting insight and intimacy as to how things work for them in Canada's biggest and most popular winter sport--no surprise hockey will earn the lion's share of that. Just about everything pre-Olympic programming shown will make its way in their entirety online at CTVOlympics.ca and RDSolympiques.ca, so get your DVDs and/or Blu-ray DVDs stocked up for this, Canadians! :D

But enough from me--read the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium press release!

Speaking of Blu-ray, do you think it's possible if we record on them, can we separate the audio channels to have Canada English, US English, French, Spanish, venue audio, and other languages and select as options whenever we watch? The technology surely is there.

To bring forth NRK's Vancouver Winter Olympic new website, NRK announces Anne Rimmen will anchor and headline the Norwegian network's Vancouver 2010 coverage from their studios starting February 12, making her debut in that position. Other members of the NRK Vancouver Olympic broadcast crew include Olympic vets Line Andersen, Karin Marie Ellefsen, and Pal Gorden Nilsen, and Dag Erik Pedersen. Yes, it'll all be on HD on NRK 1-3.

Anne Rimmen heads NRK's OL Vancouver team

Just was at Davide Maggio's blog to check on SKY Italia's broadcasting plans for Vancouver 2010. At first considering what its Australian counterpart, FOXTEL, is planning to do with its hours of Olympic stuff, I presumed SKY Italia will offer a similiar amount coming from a nation with a far stronger winter Olympic pedigree. Boy, was I wrong, or maybe I didn't read it right mentally translating from Italian, SKY Italia will air over 500 hours live of Vancouver action spread over 5 specific channels. It could indeed go to a 1000 hours in total or more. Maybe it's just live stuff that is the 500. And it will be on prime time. I guess it's a safe bet that RAI, the junior partner this time, gets exclusive coverage of both ceremonies and some events.

Sky Sport New Zealand's Steven MacIvor spoke recently at the New Zealand Olympic Committee Dinner Gala. You can best be sure he's among those on Sky NZ's sportscaster roster for Vancouver. The same black-tie gala that also witnessed the unvieling of NZ's Vancouver uniforms. Still haven't made public its broadcasting plans yet.

May I ask if broadcast information/media plans are a passion of yours?

Pretty much, Mo! :)

After all, I'm currently working towards an Associate's Degree in Mass Communications in the community college system. And I'm very close with that! I'm always interested in that realm. My obsession towards global TV and now including internet/radio Olympic coverage is about as old as my love for the Olympics themselves. Furthermore, throw in my curiousity about other nations and their media outlets, that expands it even further. I would precociously take little and fleeting pieces of info about foriegn media that appears on US TV and install it into my brain over the years. Thank goodness for the Internet, a godsend that expands and harnesses my curiousity even further; otherwise I would wait fleetingly for whatever comes our way.

What I also hope to do is write a thesis on the growth, depth, and breath of the Olympic Games coverage (both summer and winter) worldwide in the future long after I transfer for Bachelor Mass Communications Degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some updates to cover for this installment. Let's get busy, as Arsenio Hall would say!

No surprise that Telstra a couple of weeks ago will hook up with the Nine Network and FOXTEL to supply the Australian Internet coverage contract for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. And it's preparing itself for next February with the heavy load of features with a growing broadband. The article incorrectly notes that Nine did the Beijing coverage when in actually Seven and SBS did in a partnership with 7 doing the major stuff of course and SBS taking on the more international in its coverage.

According to Wikipedia, Eurosport and Eurosport 2 will get involved with the Vancouver Olympics broadcast. But there has yet to be an official announcement from Eurosport regarding its plans or sponsorships. In Beijing, Asics got involved as a primary sponsor though the Japanese athletic and footwear company is never a IOC TOP sponsor. If it actually is, Eurosport HD will take care of the HD coverage.

Ceske Televize will get involved with CT2 and the sports channel CT4 with HD footage on CT HD.

Did a preliminary breakdown of hours for the host Olympic broadcasters from Canada. It's still subject to change. I still haven't gotten what broadcast and hours yet for Rogers Sportsnet, TQS/V, RDS, RDS Info Sports, OMNI, OLN, and ATN. We do know that CTV will 22 hours of Olympic coverage a day with only news taking the 2 hours. So that makes it 352 hours and a little over 360 if you add the Opening Ceremony and all of the pre-Opening Ceremonies stuff. TSN has just announced its share of 300 hours. APTN will air 10 hours daily (4 in English, 4 in French, and 2 in native Canadian languages). So I think it's approximately 160 for them. I assume TQS/V and RDS will air close to what CTV and TSN will air, though I think RDS will air slightly more than TQS/V. Recalling from memory, RDS Info-Sports is doing 15-30 minutes a day in simply Olympic news.

NBC announces--and it seems really bad considering the favorable time zone with Vancouver as host this time--only 75 hours of it will be actually featured live. I can deal with the Internet having an embargo after the broadcast to protect the advertisers and NBC Universal. But this is a little wrong. I need to check on this a little further.

South Korea has SBS providing the South Korean Winter Olympic television coverage. Televisa and TV Azteca will get together again for Vancouver repping for Mexico. Hopefully, this time a Mexican or Mexicans will qualify for Vancouver. Last time in Torino, no Mexicans qualified, so the networks, as noted on USA Today at the time, focused on sports that had broad appeal to women and kids like figure skating with less hours to do it than previous. Will there be a daily highlights show with the ceremonies? Will there be Olympic-themed entertainment shows, as Mexican TV is known to do? Terra will take care of the competition online if Mexicans can't get much on TV. NHK in Japan will be involved in Vancouver.

NBC announces--and it seems really bad considering the favorable time zone with Vancouver as host this time--only 75 hours of it will be actually featured live. I can deal with the Internet having an embargo after the broadcast to protect the advertisers and NBC Universal. But this is a little wrong. I need to check on this a little further.

Durban, where'd you get that info from? I did a google search and all I came up with was an article from KNBC in Los Angeles with some 'fast facts' mentioning the 75 hours. Hardly sounds like anything NBC announced and more just someone at the affiliate making up a number (unless they think that's all the West Coast will get live, which still doesn't sound right because you know the cable nets will be carrying all the hockey live).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was true that it came from the KNBC article online where I got the info. If it was solely for NBC proper, it would make sense. But still with a very favorable time zone for the US east coast, you would expect EVERYTHING will be live. Or almost everything. I can see in the weekday midday coverage, stuff like the biathlon and cross country would be packaged in a storyline-like manner. You're right Quaker2001, it would indeed be strange based on the point you made regarding the cable members. None of the cable networks have been officially announced yet, but you can be certain MSNBC, CNBC, and Telemundo will be involved. That person at KNBC making the number would be wrongheaded.

Some hours ago, Westwood One Radio announced it will once again partner with NBC for the exclusive live Vancouver 2010 radio coverage in the United States. How the Canadian radio portion will deal with theirs? We certainly and safely assume all of Canada's games and gold medal game will be live play by play, both ceremonies, a daily torch updates, the French language stations will take care of the simulcasts of RDS, RDS Info Sports, and TQS/V, daily news/features/updates/interviews, and scores of pre-Olympic programming with an emphasis on the French-Canadian winter Olympians.

Belatedly, here's the Canadian Olympic radio station roster: (English) The FAN 590--Toronto; The FAN 650--Calgary; Mountain FM--Whistler (102.1) and Squeamish (107.1); 680 News (Toronto), News 1130 (Whistler) 660 News (Calgary), 570 News (Kitchener-Waterloo), News 95.7 (Halifax), News 88.9 (Saint John), News 91.9 (Moncton).

(French) CKAC Sports, CKOI 96.9, Info690, and 98.5FM--Montreal; 102.9 FM--Quebec City; 102.1 FM--Levi, 102.1 FM--Sherbrooke; 106.9 FM--Trois-Rivieres; 98.3 FM--Saugenuay; and 104.7 FM--Outaouais

It was buried right underneath me but PRIME and SKY New Zealand had already announced their Vancouver plans with thanks to what was already written by Mattygs in a separate post here in Vancouver. PRIME will feature 12 hours daily in a mixture of live, delayed, and highlights. SKY New Zealand, like FOXTEL in Australia, will devote four channels with 24 hours of live/delayed/highlighted coverage with nighttime entertainment, and daily news and magazine style shows included. Will they utilize announcers from other outlets like in the past that TVNZ did from CBC, 7, and BBC? The full sportscasting personnel has yet to be announced from PRIME and SKY.

From the according to Wikipedia file (very likely to happen anyway since the EBU has the rights to the 2010 Olympics for many of its members): Poland's TVP will get involved with TVP1, TVP2, and TVP Sport for the Olympic coverage for the Polish market. Coverage will be simulcasted on TVP HD.

Finland's YLE right now has a countdown clock for Vancouver plus some news coming from its Finnish Olympic Radio subheading on its website as each we get closer to what YLE will plan for Vancouver.

When I look over what I wrote about SKY Italia's Olympic TV plans for Italy in comparision with its sister networks related with News Corp in Australia and New Zealand, having four Olympic channels running up to 500 hours 24 hours a day, you know there's a flaw. It's going to be more like what they offer with a mixture of live and delayed footage with the obligatory news, features, profile, and highlight shows--approximately 1500 hours. The 500 will likely come on RAI that SKY Italia is required to send free-to-air.

Now that the plans for the Live City Vancouver are unvieled, you can best be sure MTV Canada will air the concerts in their entirety live along with their share of the 2010 Olympic Broadcast Consortium.

It had recently came to my attention while doing this board this fun fact: TSN in Canada was the world's first cable network to be involved with the Olympics when the then-four year old network did limited coverage for CTV during the Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics. So they're back together for Vancouver it seems and rightly so. But a lot has changed for both since; they're siblings now by media absorption. TVA did the French language coverage. I thought TNT was the first in the US for Albertville.

Hard work is up ahead of course for the 2200 media personnel (on-air talent, guests, staff, production personnel, news execs) that make up the Canadian contingent, that means, the relative inexperience they have in covering the Olympics must be corrected in a relative hurry thanks to a simulated studio center inside a warehouse in the Toronto suburb in Agincourt. By the time the real things starts the team surely will look good thanks to an old apparel friend from Montreal.

Thanks for the info.

I actually assumed MTV Canada would be airing the victory ceremonies at BC Place and Whistler in their entirety....or perhaps Muchmusic would do it?

Thanks for the info.

I actually assumed MTV Canada would be airing the victory ceremonies at BC Place and Whistler in their entirety....or perhaps Muchmusic would do it?

Muchmusic ISN'T part of the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium roster with CTVglobemedia and Rogers Media, so it can't get access to that stuff. MTV Canada is. Funnily enough, they're sister stations now since both are owned by CTVglobemedia. But MTV Canada already has some synergy with CTV previously, notably MTV on CTV.

More info emerges regarding Corus Quebec Olympic plans, starting with its own pre-Olympic material.

Netherlands NOS gets Vancouver 2010. Though I don't know will it be Nederland 1 or Nederland 2 this time around. Since it's the first all-digital TV nation in the world, does NOS has its own sports channel to program the Vancouver Winter Olympics on. Speed skating no doubt will dominate on Dutch TV.

The new home nation of the 2016 Summer Olympics, Brazil, will send less people (meaning Winter Olympians), between 8 to 14 through the Brazilian Olympic Committee than TV Record, the current and exclusive Brazilian Olympic free-to-air TV rights holder up to 2012, sends its media contingent to Vancouver--85 in total including 30 journalists. TV Record plans to air six hours daily during the Vancouver Winter 2010 Olympics featuring the principal sports and the Brazilian Olympians with many of them in the afternoon. However, Record will air live links and bulletins throughout the Olympics.

TV Record's lineup features anchors Ana Paulo Padrao, Milena Ciribelli, and Paulo Henrique Amorim. Mauricio Torres is the announcer or narrator. Other notable announcers of the Record team include Andre Tal, Carlos Donnelles, Roberta Piza, Vinicius Donola, and, wait for it, basketball legend Oscar Schmidt. (I translated all this online via Google from a Brazillian media blog) SporTV will get involved with the more wall-to-wall 24/7 Olympic coverage. Don't know how many of its SporTV channels will get involved, but I guess it'll no more than three if Torino is an indication.

We know Rick Hansen is hosting a series of stories involving those help Canadian Winter Olympian and Paralympian hopefuls get to where they are. But who's going to host the French language version? Well, it's none other than superstar diver from that adjacent Montreal island suburb of Laval, Alexander Despatie. It's called Fait le difference, but that's just the beginning of the his assignments with the French arm of the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

A 3-minute + TV Record promo on its Vancouver, Guadalajara, and London coverage

Indeed it is interesting that TV Record will send more to Vancouver to cover the Games than Brazil will submit its athletes. We'd be shocked if Brazil manages to earn a medal of any color or place higher than expected. That person will become a national hero seemingly overnight. But six hours daily on terrestrial TV

during the games generally is okay for a nation with a small delegation and little history to speak of there. Like in Australia and NZ, both nations that are also in the Southern Hemisphere (Brazil of course is almost entirely below the equator) and won medals in the Winter Olympics, the TV audiences aren't heavily into the Winter Olympics as they are with the summer counterpart. But that's OK. One difference is that no sports will be exclusive on Record. For more extensive coverage obviously there's the pay-TV sports channels to care of that. I'd be interested who will be the SporTV commentators or will it implement the audio simulcast from TV Record on some events and of both ceremonies.

Even if both ceremonies were aired live on NBC from the BC Place, don't look for it to be commercial-free in its entirety on TV. Online hours its TV airing is a different story though. I do expect that to be the case on CTV and RDS as hosts broadcasters. Since the last winter games held in Canada, I think it'll be cool if CTV, who broadcasted the 1988 Olympiad then, should re-air the Opening Ceremonies (and maybe the Closing) leading up to Vancouver like the ERT networks did to get viewers in the mood with the Rick Hansen/Alexandre Despatie Difference Makers series. How about if CTV will air any pre-olympic ceremonies stuff at the BC Place that Friday night too? Or will that be reserved for online?

i would think/hope that ceremonies will be aired live in their entirety from BC Place....afterall, that's what they did for Salt Lake. And VANOC has pushed the ceremonies to an early time at around 6 pm on the west coast so that it's not too late for the east coast time zone.

The following is (belatedly) for Olympics08: I seriously doubt, given the history of NBC broadcasting the Olympics and critiquing, that it will have a sponsorship intro at the top of the broadcast or the copyright (NBC does that at the end of the telecast segment--evening, afternoon, morning); that's just how NBC is. You're more likely see both happen with CTV or Nine/FOXTEL. Will CTV do this remains to be seen. To show you an Olympic idea what we're talking about based on what you gave when Pope John Paul II visited the Philippines, this intro comes from Australia's Seven Network's Beijing Coverage.

A couple of 15 second Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics teaser TV promos from Brazil's SporTV:

Teaser 1 and Teaser 2

Schweizer Fernsehen announced middle of last month in its plans for Vancouver 2010 that it will air 14 hours every day during the Olympics live (excluding the Opening Ceremonies day). Not sure it's SF1 or SF2 this time around, we'll see as we obtain more details in the coming months. SF now has a daily highlights TV schedule for each day of competition. The complete Olympic TV programming guide is to come later of course. But it should Swiss German-speaking fans an idea of "what to watch for".

Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium of CTVglobemedia and Rogers Media selected Harris Systems to deliver integrated and digital end-to-end HD broadcast and production solutions for Vancouver in both English and French as well as online services.

www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?aid=1000344131

The one big difference between Salt Lake City and Vancouver, Mr. X, of course is the fact Salt Lake City lies obviously an hour ahead of Vancouver and two hours behind the US and Canadian Eastern time zone portions. So Vancouver through VANOC on the Pacific Time Zone has even more reason to set the OC at an earlier time to suit bigger markets there.

From the No Surprise And Way Too Obvious Department (If You Were Paying Any Attention): Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), the Olympic Torch Relay Sponsor, joins the Canada's Host Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium's multimedia sponsorship platform.

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/...?aid=1000344581

No sooner than it was announced that Royal Bank of Canada hopped on board for Canada's Host Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium promotional sponsors for Vancouver and the Olympic flame ready to be lit in Olympia, Greece, RBC announced this afternoon the bank named 27 members from the Canadian Olympic broadcast team to take part in the Olympic torch relay throughout Canada sponsored by Royal Bank and Coca-Cola. One of the terms of agreements before making it official yesterday, really.

Repeated the link about Harris to be more useful

With Bell Canada's help and its spending of C$10 million, the Vancouver Convention Centre will get hooked up for the Winter Olympics as the MMC.

Onto to Finland, YLE unvieled its TV schedule for Vancouver with Norway's NRK yet to post its own while Sweden's SVT and Denmark's

DR/TV2 haven't even uploaded theirs. Once again like in Beijing, TV2 will take care of the coverage in the Finnish language while FST5 does theirs for the Swedish-language minority, its debut for the Winter Olympics. Visit YLE's Vancouver website and YLE's and FST5's Vancouver Olympic TV schedule.

NOOOO...you butchers!

I honestly don't get it as an American. I know Ben is former PM Brian's son. But why him and Tanya as butchers?

Belgium's VRT will air the Vancouver Olympics for the Flemish population with help from the Netherlands' NOS. It'll be shown on Een and on Een HD.

Oh, and that Canadian media intinary about the Olympic Flame coming through Canada

If Tyra were Canadian I'd be like "hell yeah, smize us some FIERCE Miss Tyra!" Even my for-years scoffing husband has acquired a respect for her. Particularly after comparing her Top Model and the UK and British and Canadian franchises.

^ imagine if Ryan Seacrest and Tyra Banks were chosen as torch bearers for the 2016 Chicago Games.