Vancouver Olympic Media Updates

I found out some info about NBC's online coverage. For better or worse (I think someone brought this up earlier), the only way you can access online video this time around is if you subscribe to a cable or satellite provider on NBC's list, although most of the major companies are all accounted for. Here's what the website says once you sign up for the service..

Please enjoy NBCOlympics.com's video experience, featuring:

* Hockey and Curling: EVERY GAME LIVE! From round-robin prelims through the gold-medal finals, more than 300 hours of action streamed live.

* Full-event replays for ALL 86 EVENTS across ALL 15 SPORTS on the Winter Olympic program. Watch every downhill run....every figure skating routine...every speed skating race...available on-demand, only on NBCOlympics.com.

* Extensive highlights, recaps, analysis, features.

* Larger video in stunning, high-definition quality

* DVR controls including slow motion, live-action pause, fast-forwarding/rewind.

* Enhanced navigation features, overlay data, video exploration and more!

Still a lot left unclear by this. My biggest question is when do the full event replays come up. Which is to say, when will an event like the downhill, which we know will be saved for primetime, become available on the website. Also, in terms of the live coverage (approx. 400 hours worth that NBC mentioned in last week's release), what else will be covered? The hockey and curling numbers (and by the way, I don't follow curling outside of the Olympics, but the fact that all the matches will be available live online is awesome) seem a little low. Over the course of the Olympics, there are 98 curling matches and 50 hockey games. If all of those accounted for 2.5 hours (and curling matches usually are closer to 3), that's 370 hours right there. Don't know what else that leaves much time for. Of course, maybe now that the NBC late night situation has somewhat settled, they'll let us know about these things.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That ever popular Beijing's Some Olympic TV Updates now has a Vancouver remix for all of us to enjoy! Let's start with, who else?, our hosts from north of the US border. If you been reading the pre

CTV British Columbia does it again with a massive array of TV promos centering on Vancouver residents with Bill Good and Pamela Martin. Last week, Belgium'

...And CTV BC still kept coming with those Olympic promos immediately in the afterglow! "Blkjock81" did a nice arrangement using the CTV 2010 B

Thanks to this new YouTube linkup feature, you can directly show videos on your posts. I need to do that myself. Great presentation of Nine's promo (didn't you think of the Terminator score when listening to that at the end?).

I'll discuss my thoughts on the plans of the CTV and NBC later on next week in depth (among other things). But I figured out the breakdown of hours for each NBC network involved in the action. Because of this, Universal Sports, since it's not part of the actual sports coverage, is actually NOT an official part of the NBC Olympic telecast with its 80 hours, as I previously thought. And I did last year broke the revelation of the authentication for access to live video--more on that later in a future post.

NBC--193.5 hours (includes late night encore presentation of the primetime portion)

CNBC--100.5 hours

MSNBC--100 hours

USA--41 hours

NBCOlympics.com--400 hours

If you add Universal Sports to the mix, you get 915 hours in total.

Van_will_shine, I broke the news of TV Romania the other day and its Olympic coverage plans, link and all.

Since we're talking about 2010 Olympic theme songs here lately from Livingston Go to Metisyahu to L'Arc-De-Ciel, Canada is not to outdone with CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium announcing the aptly-titled "I Believe" as the theme song for their broadcast of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics--come on, Believe's everywhere in Canada! A song composed by Toronto's Stephen Maccio, 15-year old Juno nominee Nikki Yanofsky sings the English version with Annie Villenueve performing the French version "J'Imagine". Both singers have Quebec ties interestingly enough. Lokk for the song to hit the streets on January 26.

Canada's Olympic Host Media Broadcast Consortium Spawns "I Believe" As Original Broadcast Theme

Very alternative compared to most others and maybe a little overdone but I like it.

The use of animation from the BBC is following on from their very successful 'Monkey' animation created for Beijing 2008:

It's possible we'll see a longer animation for Vancouver than the one I posted earlier which is just a trailer.

Edited by RobH

Thanks to this new YouTube linkup feature, you can directly show videos on your posts. I need to do that myself. Great presentation of Nine's promo (didn't you think of the Terminator score when listening to that at the end?).

I'll discuss my thoughts on the plans of the CTV and NBC later on next week in depth (among other things). But I figured out the breakdown of hours for each NBC network involved in the action. Because of this, Universal Sports, since it's not part of the actual sports coverage, is actually NOT an official part of the NBC Olympic telecast with its 80 hours, as I previously thought. And I did last year broke the revelation of the authentication for access to live video--more on that later in a future post.

NBC--193.5 hours (includes late night encore presentation of the primetime portion)

CNBC--100.5 hours

MSNBC--100 hours

USA--41 hours

NBCOlympics.com--400 hours

If you add Universal Sports to the mix, you get 915 hours in total.

Van_will_shine, I broke the news of TV Romania the other day and its Olympic coverage plans, link and all.

Since we're talking about 2010 Olympic theme songs here lately from Livingston Go to Metisyahu to L'Arc-De-Ciel, Canada is not to outdone with CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium announcing the aptly-titled "I Believe" as the theme song for their broadcast of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics--come on, Believe's everywhere in Canada! A song composed by Toronto's Stephen Maccio, 15-year old Juno nominee Nikki Yanofsky sings the English version with Annie Villenueve performing the French version "J'Imagine". Both singers have Quebec ties interestingly enough. Lokk for the song to hit the streets on January 26.

Canada's Olympic Host Media Broadcast Consortium Spawns "I Believe" As Original Broadcast Theme

I apologize, I just noticed that you had already posted ALL the info, I guess with so much info you post I just missed it ! :)

CTV British Columbia does it again with a massive array of TV promos centering on Vancouver residents with Bill Good and Pamela Martin.

Last week, Belgium's Sporza and VRT EXQI SPORT struck a deal to announce its Vancouver Winter Olympic coverage plans. This is part of a larger plan leading up to London 2012. Since Belgium is not going to send a lot of Vancouver Olympians--and snow is not something that is in abundance for daily sports TV programming there. The amount of Winter Games TV coverage will be unprecedented there in the Flemish language. When the Olympics approach and spot what Belgium gets to have, I so often semi-jokingly comment, "Why does Belgium's Olympic TV coverage suck since Innsbruck 1976?" Thankfully, that's been changing since Beijing with EEN, Canvas, and La Deux taking part (HD included), not to mention the multiple Internet streaming of Olympic events through Eurovision. So the trend continues. Both ceremonies and the sports events will broadcast live and on HD with a special emphasis on Belgian athletes on EEN's Sporza. There will be a morning block review show daily with some programming on Canvas. News, streaming, analysis, and results are to appear like on sporza.be and Radio 1. Mark Ward will be the man for Belgium in Vancouver. For EXQI SPORT, its plan is live four-hour afternoon and evening blocks centering on the Olympics daily. There the sports are to be those that, though spectacular and exciting, aren't followed or watched heavily on TV by Belgians: ice hockey, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, and skiing. Neither channel will coincide or interfere with the other's programming with the Belgian (Flemish) Olympic TV programming in the afternoon and evening. Belgium will come correct with 35 Alfacam engineers, 9 directed cars and trucks, and 140 HD cameras, particularly at Whistler. Even the reporters from EXQI Sport will make a documentary on the Alfacams teams with daily reports on EXQI Sports' Olympic coverage. Samsung, OMEGA,and Connections finance the programming.

STV 2 and STV 3, the Slovak sports channel Trojka (threesome in English), made public that its coverage of the Winter Olympic Games will be shown on HD quality for the time ever, something STV has prepared in partnership with Towercom. With the days passing to the start of the Opening Ceremonies, STV has a weekly preview show about "ZOH 2010 Vancouveri". One of its recent showings dealt with the state and selection of the Slovak Olympic hockey team with its GM and the Slovak Olympic Committee president. Trojka will air 396 hours of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics in total, 24 hours a day. From 19 to 9, STV 3 will have Olympic competition with everything from 9 to 15 of recorded events and performance, news, highlights, analysis, and summaries. By contrast, STV 2 will aim for 144 hours, starting with a daily half-hour show at 7 called Good Morning Canada with two hours of taped events and review. With 540 hours toatal, it's the largest amount of hours for the Winter Olympics on Slovak TV's young history. Live coverage will be separate between 2 and 3 so Slovak viewers won't choose. More info and clarifications soon.

Speaking of Olympic previews shows, Michael Warren and Mattygs will attest to this: PRIME in New Zealand is airing a weekly Vancouver 2010 preview show.

As the junior partner to SKY Sport Italia this time, RAI will air up to 100 live hours of Vancouver Winter Olympic Games coverage between RAI Dua, RAISport, and RAI Tre. As part of its agreement with SKY Italia, which anticipated the exclusivity of future Olympic Games after Torino and Beijing, RAI had to "come to terms with the enemy Murdoch" by taking events featuring Italians and not the ones that SKY had exclusive dibs on like the 450 live hours that'll run concurrently on its new sports channels on HD. RAISport director Eugenio De Paoli asked the government to get involved and grant TV hours for RAI, but he didn't hope for much in his proposal getting accepted. It's not too unsimilar with what RAI did in the past for other types of programming. Here's the RAI Italia Vancouver Olympic reporter team and basic TV schedule.

Yes, it's going to be in HD in Autria. I had a chance to look at the first few hours of ORF 1's 2010 Vancouver Olympische Winterspielen TV schedule. There's no separate TV schedule for it yet. ORF 2, the red channel, will have an Olympia Flash at four minutes after the half hour in the morning hours at 6.34, 7.04, 7.34, 8.04, and 8.34. ORF 1, the green channel, gets the Olympic coverage started with the ski jumping competition at 18.50-0.25 on February 12 with the next Olympic programming on 2.15 live from the BC Place with the Opening Ceremony (including the Countdown with the Ceremony itself at 3.

FOXTEL Vancouver 2010 Intro

I gotta say this one of the best-looking Olympic TV intros I have ever seen, Winter and Summer. This conveys the power, grace, beauty, and the elements of the sports mixed with the winter in the 3D imaging and digital animation. This will have me pumped to watch if I was in Australia more so than what Nine has done so far (all due respect to the Nine Network). I salute the good people at Cutting Edge, Sydney and the Ink Project for this work.

Eurosport's 2010 Vancouver TV Promo

Like the beginning imagining dealing with the nighttime aurelia boralis (sp?)as the backdrop and then the action and back again!

Eurosport's French version

Just think if this was conducted in Canada for this one.

More to come. It's getting good now...

• Like 1
Mick Molloy back again at Nine for the Winter Olympic Games

MICK Molloy is yet again returning to Channel 9 despite his two previous programs on the network being axed due to poor ratings - but this time he won't be carrying the show alone.

While his earlier two shows - The Mick Molloy Show in 1999 and 2007's The Nation - failed, he will this time be teamed with Eddie McGuire to co-host the network's prime-time Winter Olympics coverage.

"I'll just be mucking around down the shallow end of the pool and asking a lot of dopey questions," Molloy said.

It will be seen as a live prime-time audition for the pair who filmed a pilot panel show dubbed Between The Lines for Nine last month.

Daily Telegraph

Shudder!!!! I assume he's meant to be like a Channel Nine version of "The Dream" and Roy and HG. And will wind up a very poor and pale imitation.

Switzerland's Italian language networks in both TV and radio, RTSI, made known that, for Vancouver 2010, La 2, Rete Uno, and Rete Tre all will get involved for the latest news and action from the host city. La 2's Olympic live airtime will normally be at from 18:00 to 7:00, but the length of the Olympic programming block could vary due to the duration of the event. La 2 also plans to have a four-hour daytime highlight/preview show from 8-12 am local time. And it is very possible there won't be any jumping around in the coverage; it'll stick to one event to its conclusion. I'll post La 2's TV schedule very soon. As for Rete Uno and Rete Tre, if I translated it right mentally, Rete Uno will have a review show at 9.00 to Italian Swiss listeners and then will go for the live Olympic action involving the Swiss Olympians from 19-24. Rete Tre will come in with their news flashes and reviews called Tira at 11:00 on February 11, 18, and 25 and Penalty at 14:00 on February 14, 21, and 28. As you can see those come on every seventh day each other. Then there's the "PRIMO, secondo e Tre" Radio Tre Olympic podcast featuring interviews, highlights, soem event coverage, and analysis. Stefano Ferrando also has an Olympic blog cooking up there in Vancouver. RTSI's 2010 Olympic Media Coverage Announcement For the Swiss-Italian Community

I forgot to add this to the huge roster of the 2010 Olympic TV worldwide promos, but the following is from RAI. And the theme is how it brags it started modern Olympic TV coverage with the 1956 Cortina D'Ampezzo Winter Olympics and then to all of the notable Italian Winter Olympic legends henceforth, suggesting that RAI was there every step of the way---

and
. RAI's Olympic coverage will be in HD on digital channel 501 there in areas where wireless HD exists (like in Lazio, Campania, Valle d'Adosta, Sardinia, Piedmont, and Trentino Alta Adige) with live streaming at raisport.rai.it and RAI radio coverage. Rai, through RAI Sport, will go for 7 hours live per day with action, news, highlights, and interviews.

Can you imagine if the Winter Olympics were actually in your home and watching it as it is the best seat in the house, chaos and sportscasters included? That's what

is conveying in their Vancouver 2010 promo.

Teledeporte Spain (TDP) calls out the Winter Olympic history too with their own TV promo.

Late last week on Friday, the IOC struck a deal with Chile's free-to-air TV networks TVN and Canal 13 to cover the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics for $1 million so Chileans' anxieties about no Winter Olympics on free-to-air TV are alleviated. Much of what they will do, as expected, consists of a few hours of highlights a day on primetime with possibly both ceremonies in their entirety with some live coverage pertaining to the few Chilean Olympians in either one. Of course, ESPN in South America (except Brazil) has thye cable and pay-TV right and more comprehensive material. We can expect other terrestrial TV networks there to be announced very soon.

SporTV's host of "Redacao SporTV", Marcelo Barreto will report from Vancouver for the network's TV coverage. With that about to happen, Andrew Rizek will fill in for him on the show.

We'll find out for sure what APTN's coverage will exactly be like on Monday, but it already released its broadcast service operations.

When I found out SABC nabbed the TV rights for the 2010 and 2012 Olympics in South Africa and possibly for all of Africa, I got very concerned. There was a time not too long ago that Supersport was flying the flag for comprehensive wall-to-wall coverage that we all dreamed of. It had more hours in its coverage, while not showing exactly everything, than what NBC, CBC, Seven/SBS, CCTV, SVT, ARD/ZDF, ORF, RAI, among others had. South Africans, at least the ones who had access to it, were the envy of the Olympic junkies worldwide. Though it only sends, through its NOCSA organization, a few Winter Olympians since the 1994 re-entry, SuperSport brought forth comparable and comprehensive coverage up to Torino. At a time when everywhere else in the world is boosting its Olympic TV coverage in both Winter and Summer, South Africans, in particular, prepare to be very, very disappointed: SABC Sport is going to air just a daily one hour highlight show of the Vancouver Winter Olympics in the evening. As part of its agreement with SuperSport is for the latter to receive the highlights packages from them also in an hour block (or two) a daily in the evenings,as confirmed by SuperSport's Communications Manager Clinton van der Berg on DSTV's forum pages. Can you imagine what the SABC coverage will be like? It'll be packaged, maybe single feed. That means no coverage of the Opening or Closing Ceremonies or even the gold medal hockey game, let alone real coverage of actual various sports, let alone in the multichannel variety. We all know South Africa is not a Winter Olympics powerhouse and surely won't win any medals. Not to mention the Winter Olympics aren't a massive TV audience drawer down there like the Summer Olympics, soccer, cricket, rugby, even NBA basketball. If this is at least in part due to the heavy investing in the broadcast of the upcoming World Cup in their backyard, pouring almost all of their rands on that in this year's sports TV budget, I can understand that to a point. But this clearly is a very bad regression in TV coverage! Makes you wonder what went wrong this time around. This is like Belguim in the past. Did the economic recession hit SA hard? Apparently, SABC is not interested in the Winter Games fans because it's not broad enough. It did say there will Internet streaming, but will they be comprehensive? SuperSport, when it comes to sub-Saharan African sports fans, always try to give the best of what they can in their coverage for major sports events. Yet, SS get more hours on TV for Vancouver than SABC--the guys who won the bid. Go figure. Here's this being the last time SABC ever wins the Olympic TV rights bid. It's a joke. However, I read on the DSTV forums there's an out clause if they have the German bouquet of DSTV to watch the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. In any case, read it and weep (provisional SuperSport TV schedule taken from the DSTV Forum):

Please find below provisional broadcast schedule for the Winter Olympic Highlights from Vancouver 2010. Please also note from day 2 onwards we’ll be having 2 x 1 hour highlight shows – I’ve grouped them together below.

Thanks

Saturday 13 February

19:00 – 20:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 1

23:30 – 00:30 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 1 – R

Sunday 14 February

06:00 – 07:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 1 – R

14:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 1 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 2

21:30 – 23:30 SS6 / SS6A Day 2 – R

Monday 15 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 2 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 2 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 3

21:30 – 23:30 SS6 / SS6A Day 3 – R

Tuesday 15 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 3 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 3 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 4

21:30 – 23:30 SS6 / SS6A Day 4 – R

Wednesday 17 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 4 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 4 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS5 / SS5A Day 5

22:15 – 00:15 SS2 / SS2A Day 5 – R

Thursday 18 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 5 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 5 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 6

21:30 – 23:30 SS5 / SS5A Day 6 – R

Friday 19 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 6 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 6 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 7

21:15 – 23:15 SS2 / SS2A Day 7 – R

Saturday 20 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 7 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 7 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 8

22:30 – 00:30 SS5 / SS5A Day 8 – R

Sunday 21 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 8 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 8 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 9

21:00 – 23:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 9 – R

Monday 22 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 9 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 9 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 10

21:30 – 23:30 SS6 / SS6A Day 10 – R

Tuesday 23 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 10 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 10 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 11

21:30 – 23:30 SS6 / SS6A Day 11 – R

Wednesday 24 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 11 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 11 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 12

22:30 – 00:30 SS2 / SS2A Day 12 – R

Thursday 25 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 12 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 12 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 13

22:00 – 00:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 13 – R

Friday 26 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 13 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 13 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 14

21:30 – 23:30 SS2 / SS2A Day 14 – R

Saturday 27 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 14 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS5 / SS5A Day 14 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS5 / SS5A Day 15 ***please note possibility of moving to 20:00 start on SS2***

21:00 – 23:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 15 – R

Sunday 28 February

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 15 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 15 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 16

23:30 – 01:30 SS2 / SS2A Day 16 – R

Monday 1 March

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 16 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 16 – R

19:00 – 21:00 SS2 / SS2A Day 17

21:00 – 23:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 17 – R

Tuesday 2 March

06:00 – 08:00 SS7 / SS7A / SS10 Day 17 – R

13:00 – 15:00 SS6 / SS6A Day 17 – R

Clinton van der Berg

Communications Manager: SuperSport

Look for NET to be the major, if not only, coverer of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in Greece with ET1 and ET2 doing limited coverage, as the primary focus will be on Greek and Cypriot Winter Olympians. But with the way how Olympic TV hours have grown over the last three decades, especially in the last one, don't be surprised to see, when confirmed, ERT offering coverage through specific Olympic channels on Nova.

Canada's Official Host Olympic Broadcasting Media Consortium presents its Video On Demand release. More than 700 hours worth of footage be both accessible in English and French soundtracks but not in the other 20 languages for select material. There are web-exclusives to be shown. I'm glad CTV-Rogers isn't going the NBC authentification and restrictions route, that actually restricts prospective viewers than realized, and have multiple streams live. In some ways though, the on-demand embargo is worse than NBC's: for it to be on-demand, 24 hours must pass before the event goes through the on-demand route (starting Saturday, February 13 with the Opening Ceremony), and all the footage will be available until March 31. Will we see the Pre-Opening Ceremony show at the BC Place? Surely, there are Canadians who would like to see the stuff again and again months down the line. We as posters here would like to know what kind of features in the videos other than the digital videos and sound like more about the viewer-friendly functionality.

Starting on February 1 leading up to the Opening Ceremonies in Vancouver on February 13, TVP Sport in Poland will re-air choice portions of past Olympic Games coverage from recent Winter Olympics like figure skating, ice hockey, Opening Ceremonies.

Switzerland's Italian language networks announced their Vancouver coverage. Now the German language arm of the Swiss network, Schweizer Fernsehen (SF) goes into greater detail with theirs. Over 300 hours for 17 days with daily structure of the Vancouver 2010 coverage on SF Zwei. It'll be anchored by Regula Spani and Paddy Kalin. Look for live streaming from SF's Vancouver's coverage at sport.sf.tv and an accompanying website called www.vancouver2010sf.tv soon. French TSR will unviel its programming plans in a matter of days. Each of the three Swiss languages will have its second channel cover the sports, and all of the coverage will be shown on HD Suisse.

If your browser has a Flash update, look at the FOXTEL Vancouver Olympic TV guide. The four channels hit operations with the men's ski jumping qualifications, IOC official films from Nagano, Salt Lake City, and Torino, and a couple of FOXTEL original Olympic programming like Vancouver Dreams, Frozen In Time: Olympic Gold, and Michale Buble's Canada being repeated on all four channels even after the re-airing of Nine's Opening Ceremony and up to the start of competition.

So it's 200 hours of Olympic programming on RTV Slovenija's Televiziji Slovenija 2 from Vancouver with HD simulcasting (a DVB-T test transmission). And this time, it's got some supplemental help from a channel called MMC-TV. Don't forget about TV Slovenija 2's (SLO 2) Olympic TV schedule and check out its brilliant digital TV guide copy that gives all of the broadcast info you need about RTVSLO's coverage.

According to the Wikipedia listing, NTV is NOT going to be a part of Russia's Olympic TV coverage. It'll be just Channel One, Russia 1, and Russia 2.

RTE's Bill O'Herlihy will continue on as the Irish top sports anchor until London 2010. That means Vancouver 2010 too. Anybody waiting in the wings to take over from him in 2012?

Belgium's RTBF's French Language Olympic website is now up. With that, you can now take a look at what RTBF.be will offer with its live streaming. Dominated by the figure skating events. It's disappointing that the array offered here in the French version isn't as vast that we've seen in other nations. Maybe the French Belgians don't have an appetite for the various winter sports.

Leave it to the Japanese to do something little on the off-beat side with the Olympics. For the first time, NHK will import a TV personality from outside their network to co-host a daily Olympic highlights and news show called Vancouver Best Olympic Selection. Her name is Becky to attract the younger audience. The reaction to the news is negative towards her with her "putz-like" and "excitable and teenlike" personality being a bad fit. Then again, a lot of TV audiences may prefer getting insights from a lay person's eyes. Which is fine, as long as they don't act stupid.

Belarus has the The First Channel serving as the exclusive holders of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. So Belarussians will enjoy 162 hours of Olympic television coverage from Vancouver.

We still haven't got new stuff from Russia, Denmark, Iceland, Spain, Hungary, Argentina, China, The Ukraine, Croatia, Portugal, South Korea, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Mexico, Albania, and Serbia, among others. But we will soon. Hopefully other posters, including those who haven't been here will help out.

Belgium's RTBF's French Language Olympic website is now up. With that, you can now take a look at what RTBF.be will offer with its live streaming. Dominated by the figure skating events. It's disappointing that the array offered here in the French version isn't as vast that we've seen in other nations. Maybe the French Belgians don't have an appetite for the various winter sports.

Most of the "French" Belgians are also receiving the main free French Channels. So they could follow the Games on France Televisions (France2 & France3).

Most of the "French" Belgians are also receiving the main free French Channels. So they could follow the Games on France Televisions (France2 & France3).

Agreed, thanks to the ubiquitous dishes all over Europe now, including Belgium. Which will be a major option for French Belgians in seeking additional coverage. But the focus, except otherwise indicated, was to keep it within the borders of a nation.

Speaking of Belgium. This time back in the Flemish language. We now have a much more detailed media guide on the Vancouver Winter Olympics on Een, Een+, EXQI Sport, Sporza.be, Canvas, and Radio 1.

Back in Canada, new details emerged about the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium's radio plans today. 77 radio across Canada are involved under THE FAN network that will include 1800 hours. Such a shame Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland-Labrador aren't represented. Notice how the British Columbia stations in each market almost have AM and FM stations involved. And this coverage is all just in English. But, don't worry, the French radio coverage from Corus Quebec's 10 stations was also announced today too, in keeping with the bilingualism. Can't wait for the all-encompassing schedule hitting February 1! :)

Last time when Sweden's SVT was broadcasting the Winter Olympics in Turin, it made an unusual thing that I noticed: at certain times of the day, coverage would switch over from SVT 1 to SVT 2, particularly when the first channel was going to the news ("Rapport") for example or other regularly scheduled programming while coverage was in progress. So did Swedish Olympic TV viewers miss some minutes in coverage like during the course of figure skating when that happened? Doesn't look like we're getting a repeat of that now, even when the channels switch Olympic programming. However, there will be no interference with portions of some sports, particularly late at night Sweden time.

TV Record officially announces it will send 80 peoplefrom the network to Vancouver and will air 4 hours on TV Record and 10-12 hours on Record News including these guys. Mylena Ciribelli blogs about the Vancouver basics.

Sorry guys and gals - I have to post it here, too, since I fear that it won't get less attention in the other forum:

ohh - I have just found the "Vancouver trailers" from the ZDF (Second German TV-channel, which share the TV-rights for Germany with the ARD (the first German TV-channel)):

here they are - I hope you like them:

Beaver

Biathlon

Snowboard

Ice Hockey

Curling

Mountie

Hamburger Abendblatt - Auf Quotenjagd in Vancouver

This article is about how the Winter Olympics of Vancouver are shown on German TV:

ARD and ZDF will have appr. 220 h live coverage - 60 of the 86 decisions will be before midnight, due the time difference between Germany and Vancouver. The fans of Ice Hockey and Figure Skating will have to stay awake for a long time.

The coverage will start at 06:00 p.m. and will end at 09:00 a.m. the next day. There will be a compendium of the highlights of the night every morning. ARD and ZDF will show the Olympics in rotation. The ARD will start the coverage February 12th with the qualification in Ski Jumping and show the OC at 03:00 am. ZDF will show the CC in the night February 28th- March 1st.

Eins-Festival and ZDF-Infochannel, two digital channels of ARD and ZDF, will show 250 h live coverage - that means that you can watch 470 h live coverage in Germany

is the guy named Hamburger?

no - Hamburger Abendblatt is the name of a daily newspaper in Hamburg - Hamburg is the second largest city of Germany - the German word Hamburger is a descriptive noun (like New Yorker or Londoner) - Abendblatt means in english "Evening Post" or "Evening Paper" - the name of the Burger has it origin from the city too

Etymology

The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of Hamburg[2], Germany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In High German, "Burg" means "castle",or king's abode; earlier also city/town, and is a widespread component of city names. "Bürger" describes someone coming from that castle or town, (compare London -> Londoner), hence Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in German, referring to something from Hamburg. Similarly, frankfurter and wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people or things from the cities of Frankfurt and Wien (Vienna), respectively.

The term "ham" could derive from the word "hamme", a denomination for a moraine hillside [Hammaburg, a fortress on a hill in the delta of the river Alster, was the first settlement in Hamburg], although this remains unclear. The likeness to the English word "ham" is by pure chance (not to mention the fact that hamburgers do not contain ham).

The term "burger" became the synonym for many types of round sandwiches, although this word actually described a type of food rather than their creator(s) who allegedly originated in Hamburg.

source: Wikipedia (Hamburger) Edited by Citius Altius Fortius