Opening Ceremony Details

anno

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read on the official Beijing website they have released some details on the fireworks apparently they will be making the olympic rings out of fireworks,oooh ahhh. And launching thousands of pictures of smiling faces on fireworks into the sky above Beijing.

Hey guys, i don't know if this are the actual pics of the ceremony, but i think i have found the placard designs:

2661883666_e86d260476.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonpreneur/2661883666/

Like the others, I think they are practice placards. Besides, the main thing about this segment of the opening ceremony is the ORDER, starting always with GREECE (希臘), of the parade itself. I am rather surprised that TRADITIONAL CHINESE writing could be used here, instead of the SIMPLIFIED version where most Beijing citizens would easily recognize. Would pin yin (Romanization of the Chinese language) be used here?

Link: Wikipedia: Pinyin Entry

Ok dudes, new pics leaked (NOTE: Is not know if this is of the opening or closing ceremony, but is one of them.)

capt.886b0a0f18f447f0a17159ee22a555b2.aptopix_china_olympics_xhg105.jpg

capt.e9b53170c3f8416189108c75917c9cb3.china_olympics_xhg103.jpg

capt.0e0d1c7261d04a4aaec5ee40abed4dcc.china_olympics_xhg102.jpg

capt.863e6fb573c1429b869d105272dbf4ca.china_olympics_xhg104.jpg

Students from the Tagou martial arts school from Henan province practise at a training base on the outskirts of Beijing July 18, 2008. More then 2,000 students from Tagou martial arts school will perform during the opening ceremony of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and have been training on the outskirts of Beijing for a year, local media reported. Picture taken July 18, 2008.

REUTERS/Donald Chan (CHINA) (BEIJING OLYMPICS

r3087484767.jpg

r1847742152.jpg

Students from the Tagou martial arts school from Henan province practise at a training base on the outskirts of Beijing July 18, 2008. More then 2,000 students from Tagou martial arts school will perform during the opening ceremony of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and have been training on the outskirts of Beijing for a year, local media reported. Picture taken July 18, 2008.

REUTERS/Donald Chan (CHINA) (BEIJING OLYMPICS

r1847742152.jpg

I'd like to see martial arts, very Asian and Chinese. I think in the BBC video the part seen in the stadium are those martial arts students.

Of course, how can a martial arts section not be there? There were gymnastics sections in Mexico, Munich, Moscow -- to some varying degree or other. Seoul had its own 'karate' section. Atlanta had the "Youth of Atlanta" section to essentially signify the same thing.

What kind of an Olympics would it be W/O such a portion?

Nothing new. And it will appear in future editions as well.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Of course, how can a martial arts section not be there? There were gymnastics sections in Mexico, Munich, Moscow -- to some varying degree or other. Seoul had its own 'karate' section. Atlanta had the "Youth of Atlanta" section to essentially signify the same thing.

What kind of an Olympics would it be W/O such a portion?

Nothing new. And it will appear in future editions as well.

What's going to be in London? Little Britain sketches all over the stadium. :rolleyes:

What about torch relay???? it is going on going on going on, it has become an everyday event so media is no more giving importance to it. I think China made it too long for domestic route.

The Sydney 2000 Torch Relay was even longer, the Athens Torch Relay was a lot shorter and we also not heard about the domestic part. That's not the most interesting for the foreign media. Only when the flame arrives in the host country, the state/province of the games and the host city.

Nothing special about the coverage of this torch relay.

What about torch relay???? it is going on going on going on, it has become an everyday event so media is no more giving importance to it. I think China made it too long for domestic route.

The current route is shorten version of the original in terms of the Quake and Political concerns. It appears the central government just don't think it's a good idea to celebrate much due to slightly chaotic atmosphere in China.

So, how are they going to present the Parade of Nations? In English order? French? Chinese character order? Pinyin, even? I would like it if they did it in Pinyin or character order.

not sure - the french spelling for azerbaijan is first on the placard - so maybe they will go with the french running order?

I don't think so. I think that French is only first on the placard because it's the original "Olympic language" and usually used first in the announcements at Olympic ceremonies.

But despite that tradition, they always used the host country's running order for the parade of nations. As far as I know, Nagano was the only exception, when they had the English running order (Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia and so on). And since the Chinese language doesn't have an alphabet, they could use the transcribed Chinese names of the countries and have them in the "Western" alphabetical order.

The Fireworks Director of OC cliams there are going to be 33,866 shots in total. And the hightest peak of the performance would become a ''laughable moment '' features smiling faces in the sky.

The fireworks displays are also suppose to spread across the city, including above Tiananmen Sq. and the Forbidden City. So it sounds like it will be similar to Sydney.

I don't think so. I think that French is only first on the placard because it's the original "Olympic language" and usually used first in the announcements at Olympic ceremonies.

But despite that tradition, they always used the host country's running order for the parade of nations. As far as I know, Nagano was the only exception, when they had the English running order (Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia and so on). And since the Chinese language doesn't have an alphabet, they could use the transcribed Chinese names of the countries and have them in the "Western" alphabetical order.

That was to prevent problems like China and Chinese Taipai (Taiwan) from marching in back to back. I recall them mentioning on the CBS broadcasting. Also, French was used in Barcelona as a compromise between Spanish and Catalon.

That was to prevent problems like China and Chinese Taipai (Taiwan) from marching in back to back.

What about Iran and Iraq -- when they were also mortal enemies? And then only "Ireland" separating "Iraq" from "Israel"? And of course if Libya had its way, it too would've marched in as the "Islamic Republic of Libya" -- so right before "Israel" again.

But if athletes can't get together in a march, then the world shouldn't have much to hope for.