Opening Ceremony Details

anno

Really? I didn't know that the cauldron lighting is also a part of the final dress rehearsal. And I didn't know that they film it for contingency. So then we should actually know one day in advance how that lighting mechanism in Beijing works.

I was at both dress rehersals in Athens and the flame was not lit.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although fireworks totally work with a chinese olympic game i feel they are always overused....in ceremonies and celebrations in general.

Well, that's what they're used for, celebration, and I don't think I'll ever tire of them.

bbc report on the dress rehearsal you can see a little bit of what is going on in the stadium - see link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7510794.stm

Conclusions:

The fireworks are very spectacular (we already expected that for four years now).

There will be some mass performances, but I think the mass performances will be in another way as Sydney had.

I think the part in the stadium looks like some karate?

bbc report on the dress rehearsal you can see a little bit of what is going on in the stadium - see link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7510794.stm

Conclusions:

Realy spectacular fireworks.

There will be some mass performances (because so many people), but in another way as Sydney had.

The part in the stadium looks like some karate?

Also, performers on ''star'' dresses? What kind of performance are they involved?

r18946155.jpg

I think I can guess this last one. "Pearlies" for the London handover segment?

j/k. I think they will be the 'galaxy' or 'Milky Way' when the "globe/earth lantern' comes up.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

With three weeks to go to the day until the opening ceremony, it looks amazing so far, even though that was just a rehearsal. Wonder how many people outside the Bird's Nest area stuck around for those practice fireworks?

Pure speculation here, but the *earth or lantern* like structure that we see in the photos matches somewhat to a speculative article from a Chinese website.

It basically goes on about the Chinese creation myth , how in the beginning there was nothing but chaos. But then the initial God Pangu hatched from a *cosmic egg*. He sliced the egg in half separating the earth (yin) and sky (yang).

He pushed the two apart, which took quite some time. At the end of the 18000 year period, he died, and his body parts became various features.

Here is the summary from wiki, seems to me the earth shape could also pass as an egg...

In the beginning there was nothing in the universe except a formless chaos. However this chaos began to coalesce into a cosmic egg for eighteen thousand years. Within it, the perfectly opposed principles of yin and yang became balanced and Pangu emerged (or woke up) from the egg. Pangu is usually depicted as a primitive, hairy giant with horns on his head (like the Greek Pan) and clad in furs. Pangu set about the task of creating the world: he separated Yin from Yang with a swing of his giant axe, creating the Earth (murky Yin) and the Sky (clear Yang). To keep them separated, Pangu stood between them and pushed up the Sky. This task took eighteen thousand years, with each day the sky grew ten feet higher, the Earth ten feet wider, and Pangu ten feet taller. In some versions of the story, Pangu is aided in this task by the four most prominent beasts, namely the Turtle, the Qilin, the Phoenix, and the Dragon.

After the eighteen thousand years had elapsed, Pangu was laid to rest. His breath became the wind; his voice the thunder; left eye the sun and right eye the moon; his body became the mountains and extremes of the world; his blood formed rivers; his muscles the fertile lands; his facial hair the stars and milky way; his fur the bushes and forests; his bones the valuable minerals; his bone marrows sacred diamonds; his sweat fell as rain; and the fleas on his fur carried by the wind became human beings all over the world.

Pure speculation here, but the *earth or lantern* like structure that we see in the photos matches somewhat to a speculative article from a Chinese website.

It basically goes on about the Chinese creation myth , how in the beginning there was nothing but chaos. But then the initial God Pangu hatched from a *cosmic egg*. He sliced the egg in half separating the earth (yin) and sky (yang).

He pushed the two apart, which took quite some time. At the end of the 18000 year period, he died, and his body parts became various features.

Here is the summary from wiki, seems to me the earth shape could also pass as an egg...

That quite sounds interesting but i can't still see how that is going to be sliced by half with the design type of that structure.

That quite sounds interesting but i can't still see how that is going to be sliced by half with the design type of that structure.

That's true. Altho Matty's take is a possibility (and they are purposely doing an 'earth' thing rather than an egg since Lillehammer had already done that). However, they may modify the tale and interpret the 'slicing' in half some other way -- and have those 'milky way / constellation' dancers around for that.

Beijing readers, we NEED MORE VISUAL clues to figure this out!!

I hope that it is going to be more then a globe comming out of the hole with torchbearers walking on it and a "Galaxy" around. Been there done that,...

U can bet there'll be a lot more. They didn't build that stage that BIG to only reveal a globe. I think it will be a very versatile stage and will reveal more surprises.

Y do the no. of flagpoles keep changing?

First 4,

200871218335144792.jpg

And then 2...

capt.fcacc750ae6c4946a32f3582f3f4141c.china_olympics_xhg102.jpg

Probably not overly significant, but still why?

To vex us??

Not new, if i remember right the flagpoles positions changed in Athens 2004 too. Remember that on the OC the olympic and greek flags were hoisted on the east side of the stadium. And on the closing, they were lowered on the west side (where the cauldron was). Maybe they will do the same thing again.

Not new, if i remember right the flagpoles positions changed in Athens 2004 too. Remember that on the OC the olympic and greek flags were hoisted on the east side of the stadium. And on the closing, they were lowered on the west side (where the cauldron was). Maybe they will do the same thing again.

OK. But no, I didn't really pay attention to where the flagpoles were in Athens. But these are on the same end of the stadium: to the right of the Tribune of Honor.

Well to put thing straight bacause i may sound too negative. I have no doubt that we will watch a visual phantasmagoric show. My doubt is if there is a meaning behind this..

Example:

olympic4uj9.jpg

Here you see also a perfect visual made with high-end technology. But there is meaning behind this.

the mythology (Heras milk - galaxias), the human (the woman to give birth to new life), the science (the double Helix as a symbol of the uniqueness of every human).

A single picture tells a story of immeasurable worth.

This is what i am expecting from the OC in China also. I dont want to see a "Look how powerfull we are" show. I want to see a Ceremony celebrating Chinese Culture and the human individual as Athens did.

savas, there is a meaning BECAUSE you gave it a meaning. But what the hell does DNA have to do with the Olympic Games?

Anyway...yes, there will be meanings behind what the Chinese Ceremonies will show. These Ceremonies follow a certain trend, and more or less have the same creative minds behind one as there are in the next. Remember, the Chinese put out an international tender, and then picked the best ideas -- and then grafted those submissions with Zhang Yimou (so the Chinese Dmitris Papanoue who is the Greek Ric Birch...who was the Australian David Wolper, etc., etc.,).

S, it's Beijing's time now.

Let me help you Barron:

savas, there is a meaning BECAUSE you gave it a meaning.

First there is the birth of thought (The Centaur throwing the arrow of light which symbolises the birth of thought) and then comes creation (the thought gets its own dynamic makes his way and something new arrives, creation.

But what the hell does DNA have to do with the Olympic Games?

You are asking me what the human as an individual body of energy has to do with the Olympic Games and the Olympic Idea?

Let me help you Barron:

savas, there is a meaning BECAUSE you gave it a meaning.

First there is the birth of thought (The Centaur throwing the arrow of light which symbolises the birth of thought) and then comes creation (the thought gets its own dynamic makes his way and something new arrives, creation.

But what the hell does DNA have to do with the Olympic Games?

You are asking me what the human as an individual body of energy has to do with the Olympic Games and the Olympic Idea?

It's the universal philosophy behind the symbols we see in today's civilizations. Greek stands for the West, China stands for the East. No conflicts and meaningful competition around this issue.

We shouldn't compare two different things. It's another civilization the Greek one and another the Chinese.

Papaioannou wanted to make a ceremony focused on humans and simplicity. That's why he used only white lights, that's why only 2000 people participated in the ceremony. He wanted the people to move in the stadium free, not moving like soldiers. Papaioannou achieved what he had in his mind.

------------

What is interesting for me, that although China uses different methods to control what is coming outside, they are not able the leak from the rehearsals.

In Athens if I remember right, we had the basic story of the ceremony after the final rehearsal on Wednesday, but we didn't have any photos from it at all.

Y do the no. of flagpoles keep changing?

First 4,

Probably not overly significant, but still why?

To vex us??

Well, for the ceremony they need only two. One for the Host country flag and one for the Olympic flag. The other three, there are first were also used during the good luck Beijing events medal ceremonies (one for the host nation and three for gold, silver and bronze).

We shouldn't compare two different things. It's another civilization the Greek one and another the Chinese.

Papaioannou wanted to make a ceremony focused on humans and simplicity. That's why he used only white lights, that's why only 2000 people participated in the ceremony. He wanted the people to move in the stadium free, not moving like soldiers. Papaioannou achieved what he had in his mind.

------------

What is interesting for me, that although China uses different methods to control what is coming outside, they are not able the leak from the rehearsals.

In Athens if I remember right, we had the basic story of the ceremony after the final rehearsal on Wednesday, but we didn't have any photos from it at all.

There was nothing to leak -- but a few lights and effects. :lol:

j/k.

Pyrros, there were a lot of shots of the head after it had 'exploded' and before it was reassembled. Plus, I think you posted the link of one rehearsal of the Clepsydra (sp?) at the initial site near the airport or something.