What If...

For one thing, a huge emphasize on quality music for the ceremonies like what Athens had, none of the crap in Torino. I'd also make sure the cauldron is lit manually rather than electronically (which is a fake flame, Torino).

The characteristics and guiding principles I would follow and emphasize are:

- Good flow of events that fit together

- Simplicity with a focus on beauty, not razzle dazzle

- Stories that tell themselves and do not require a lot of babble

- An emphasis on Canadian nature, sport and art

- No attempt to be overly sensitive and politically correct by including every race of human being that ever lived in Canada

- No cheesy cliches or big name pop stars

- Above all, a timeless quality that speaks of Canada.

Realistically I believe we will see the Barenaked Ladies perform a two hour set - including duets with Alanis, Shania and Avril. Followed by the athletes parade, the flag and the flame. Finally a rousing medley of 'O Canada', 'Don't Let It Go To Your Head' and 'This Is My Life' will be performed by Fefe Dobson.

Oh, and Fefe will light the flame.

In fact Fefe may just do the whole thing and have the Barenaked Ladies carry in the flag.

Now that's Canadian!

The characteristics and guiding principles I would follow and emphasize are:

- Good flow of events that fit together

- Simplicity with a focus on beauty, not razzle dazzle

- Stories that tell themselves and do not require a lot of babble

- No attempt to be overly sensitive and politically correct by including every race of human being that ever lived in Canada

- No cheesy cliches or big name pop stars

- Above all, a timeless quality that speaks of Canada.

U forgot a 'human sacrifice to Ilanaaq' number set to BLAME IT ON CANADA on the PA system.

I agree with your principles, but what is typical e.g. for Canadian nature? I think the sement of the "Great Salt Lake" with the different animals at the opening ceremony of Salt Lake City 2002, would fit for Vancouver, too...

Maybe the fauna of the pacific with its sea-otters or orcas???

I agree with your principles, but what is typical e.g. for Canadian nature? I think the sement of the "Great Salt Lake" with the different animals at the opening ceremony of Salt Lake City 2002, would fit for Vancouver, too...

Maybe the fauna of the pacific with its sea-otters or orcas???

Snow, icefields and mountains, of course! The natural environment for Winter Olympic sport.

At Imagine 2010 - where the logo was unveiled - organizers presented the country in 5 parts, or the "Realms of Canada" (with some of their imagery):

North - ice, snow, icebergs, polar bears, snowy owls & igloos

Atlantic - rustic coves, puffins, lobster, schooners, fishermen & lighthouses

Great Lakes/Saint Lawrence - waterways, maple trees, moose & big cities

Prairies - wheat fields, bison, cowboys, oil derricks & silos

Mountains/Pacific - tree and snow covered mountains, glaciers, misty ocean coasts, orcas & totem poles

That is a good idea. Didnt the Pan-Am Games of 99 do something similar to that? Representing different regions of Canada with a particular animal/bird of some description?

Snow, icefields and mountains, of course! The natural environment for Winter Olympic sport.

At Imagine 2010 - where the logo was unveiled - organizers presented the country in 5 parts, or the "Realms of Canada" (with some of their imagery):

North - ice, snow, icebergs, polar bears, snowy owls & igloos

Atlantic - rustic coves, puffins, lobster, sschooner, fishermen & lighthouses

Great Lakes/Saint Lawrence - waterways, maple trees, moose & big cities

Prairies - wheat fields, bison, cowboys, oil derricks & silos

Mountains/Pacific - tree and snow covered mountains, glaciers, misty ocean coasts, orcas & totem poles

that would be nice!!!!!

:) :) :)

sschooner
- that word is interesting - in German we have "Schoner" - a "Schoner" is a special type of sailing ship with two masts...

- that word is interesting - in German we have "Schoner" - a "Schoner" is a special type of sailing ship with two masts...

It is the same thing (except I added an 's' by mistake - schooner - pronounced "Skooner"). The most famous in Canada is the Bluenose, built in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia (a town originally settled by Germans). It set world speed records for the time, but sank in the Carribean in the 1940's. Bluenose II can be seen at the Lunenberg and Halifax waterfronts and the boat is featured on the Canadian 10 cent piece and Nova Scotia car plates.

LOL...yeah, let's feature the oddities of Canadian culture, not our history! OK, I want a ceremony that features these gems:

Stompin' Tom Conners, Rusty & Jerome from the Friendly Giant, the Tickle Trunk, Casey and Finnegan from Mr. Dress-up, Erica Ehm and Ziggy from old school MuchMusic, plackard carriers during the Athletes Parade that wear Don Cherry inspired patterns, Bob and Doug McKenzie to carry in the Olympic flag, and the Olympic flame should be carried in to the tune of "Hockey Night in Canada" where a flaming puck shot in by that special kid from the Gretzky ad from years ago.

Forget Celine...what about.....

S H A N I A ! ! !

Shania_Twain.jpg

Since these are going to be Canadian Games, I bet they will be very weird, surrealistic Ceremonies featuring....

U guessed it - Celine in partnership with Cirque!! How can they not be involved?

Yeah, It's really probable that Celine Dion would be involved in the ceremonies to sing as well as other internationally well known Canadian artists. Shania Twain, Bryan Adams, Nelly Furtado, Avril Lavine (again!!!), etc. Who else is there? And for the love of god, I hope Anne Murray or Rita "tub of lard" McNeil aren't involved. I can't stand those two.