Jump to content

Moved 2022 before its to late.


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

If the republicans win in 2024 then 2028 is going to see the USA proposing barying entry to certain nations and seeing if the IOC will respond

Heaven forbid. But if that were to be the case, then you (& Republicans) should take note, that if the U.S. (& others) was to boycott 2022, then no doubt expect China to follow suit in 2028 in L.A. And that’s something the USOC will surely point out to the Biden administration as well, especially if the Republicans don’t win in 2024 election.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It feels like I subscribed to a newsfeed from a local paper in South Queensland.

Here's the issue the IOC has right now and I've seen some people echo this on Twitter... The IOC wants to play it both ways.  I am sure that they will gladly push the narrative this summer - assu

What’s that? Suicide for fear of death?    Never in a million years would athletes en masse go for that idea.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It's funny because on the surface, you would think that there's all this noise about boycotting the Beijing Olympics.  Yet how many stories all trace back to the rabble-rousing of Rick Scott whose state thinks he has all the answers.  And whose party is no longer in power because elections have consequences.

22 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

If the republicans win in 2024 then 2028 is going to see the USA proposing barying entry to certain nations and seeing if the IOC will respond

gfHKH_N3xHkfVwehP-1ZRSM2JI4idwtsxhuuxRok

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 11:14 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Debate on China in the commons tomorrow - might see movement on the boycott question now the Biden Administration is moving slowly towards a pro boycott position.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/10/president-bidens-second-big-bill-may-be-china-package-pushed-by-top-senate-democrat/

Didn't see the word Olympic in here anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

At this point (as if it wasn't evident already), I think we can largely ignore RWB's personal viewpoint on what he thinks is going on, because it clearly doesn't mesh with reality and his read on things is clouded in bias and ridiculousness.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

USOPC President Lyons says there will be no boycott of Beijing 2022 over human rights issues

I'd say that's a pretty anti-boycott position right there.  Coming from the only organization who ultimately is going to make the decision.

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

A tough-on-China GOP is split on whether to boycott the China Olympics

And guess who doesn't get to make the decision.. the GOP.  So their opinion at this point is just background noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Biden makes the ultimate decision.

 

There'd be consequences if Biden (or anyone else) interferes with USOPC's autonomy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Biden makes the ultimate decision.

eb6.jpg

He actually doesn't though, and I feel like you know that. Biden could choose to make an attempt to force the USOPC's hand. But the indications so far are that won't be the case. There will be conversations, but ultimately it is NOT Biden and his administration making the call. And there's virtually zero chance he'll cave to pressure from politicians on the right, no matter how many times they speak out on China. As the saying goes, "elections have consequences."  If they wanted to make the official call here, they needed to retain the White House and the Senate. They didn't

I said it before and I'll say it again.. The most likely outcome IMO is that athletes are in full attendance. Dignitaries and politicians are not. Biden can decide if Biden wants to attend the Games. He won't hold the athletes back from doing so

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

eb6.jpg

He actually doesn't though, and I feel like you know that. Biden could choose to make an attempt to force the USOPC's hand. But the indications so far are that won't be the case. There will be conversations, but ultimately it is NOT Biden and his administration making the call. And there's virtually zero chance he'll cave to pressure from politicians on the right, no matter how many times they speak out on China. As the saying goes, "elections have consequences."  If they wanted to make the official call here, they needed to retain the White House and the Senate. They didn't

I said it before and I'll say it again.. The most likely outcome IMO is that athletes are in full attendance. Dignitaries and politicians are not. Biden can decide if Biden wants to attend the Games. He won't hold the athletes back from doing so

Did USPOC really voluntarily agree to the 1980 boycott or was the pressure so great they had no choice.

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/news/article/meps-lead-growing-calls-for-eu-to-boycott-winter-olympics-in-beijing

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Did USPOC really voluntarily agree to the 1980 boycott or was the pressure so great they had no choice.

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/news/article/meps-lead-growing-calls-for-eu-to-boycott-winter-olympics-in-beijing

 

Know your history.. the USOPC barely existed in anything resembling its current form back then.  It was only in 1978 that the Amateur Sports Act came into being (thanks to Jimmy Carter) that gave the USOPC the authority it now has that used to belong to the AAU.  They didn't have the authority back then that they do now.  So it's pointless to look at 1980 and try to offer a precedent for this situation.  To say nothing of the generation of cold war tensions that had been going on prior to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105354/bach-beijing-2022-human-rights-concerns

 

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) "is willing to hold a genocidal Games" by staging the Winter Olympics in Beijing, human rights groups claimed today, as President Thomas Bach insisted the organisation was not a "super-world Government" that can solve global issues.

A group of human rights activists this week held an "Alternative Olympic Session" to highlight their concerns with Beijing's hosting of the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics amid what they claim is China's "genocide" against Uyghur Muslims.

It was staged to coincide with the IOC's own Session, where Beijing 2022 and human rights were on the agenda but where there was no mention of the Uyghur Muslims or calls for the Chinese capital to be stripped of the Games.

There has been widespread condemnation of Beijing's treatment of Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang as well as its crackdown on protesters in Hong Kong and its policies towards Tibet and Taiwan.

China has been accused of suppression and surveillance campaign against Muslim ethnic groups, which allegedly includes mass internment, forced sterilisation, the separation of children from their families and forced labour.

Human rights groups allege more than one million Uyghurs have been placed in internment camps, but Beijing claims they are training centres designed to help stamp out Islamist extremism and separatism.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/12/ioc-under-fire-after-dismissing-claims-of-genocide-against-uighurs-in-china

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the issue the IOC has right now and I've seen some people echo this on Twitter...

The IOC wants to play it both ways.  I am sure that they will gladly push the narrative this summer - assuming the Olympics are a go - that they were responsible for the world coming back together.  They were happy to push that North Korea/South Korea angle that it helped pave the way for peace talks.  But now they're saying they don't get involved in world politics and want to avoid the discussion when it doesn't suit them.

We can be pretty confident they won't say anything negative about China in the next year, but there's only so much they can do to drown on the negativity that's going to come along with having an Olympics there.  It's probably a big help to them to have had Tokyo get delayed by a year and shorten the lead-up to Beijing.  But come the end of August, this is going to be front and center on a lot of people's radar as we get closer to next Winter

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

 But come the end of August, this is going to be front and center on a lot of people's radar as we get closer to next Winter

Agree, And although there are many other reasons they want Tokyo 2020 to take place, a cancellation at the end of say April just increases by three months the length of time they are going to hear nothing except Beijing 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The US should boycott the Beijing Winter Olympic Games next year, Mitt Romney said on Monday – but not by keeping its skiers, curlers and bobsledders at home.

In a New York Times column, the Utah senator said Washington should implement “an economic and diplomatic boycott” of the quadrennial winter sports jamboree.

Such a move, he said, would “demonstrate our repudiation of China’s abuses in a way that will hurt the Chinese Communist party rather than our American athletes: reduce China’s revenues, shut down their propaganda and expose their abuses”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/15/mitt-romney-beijing-winter-olympics-us-boycott?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1615823417

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob. said:

The US should boycott the Beijing Winter Olympic Games next year, Mitt Romney said on Monday – but not by keeping its skiers, curlers and bobsledders at home.

In a New York Times column, the Utah senator said Washington should implement “an economic and diplomatic boycott” of the quadrennial winter sports jamboree.

Such a move, he said, would “demonstrate our repudiation of China’s abuses in a way that will hurt the Chinese Communist party rather than our American athletes: reduce China’s revenues, shut down their propaganda and expose their abuses”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/15/mitt-romney-beijing-winter-olympics-us-boycott?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1615823417

That's one of the smartest and most sensible things I've seen anyone express on this whole situation.  Well done, Mitt Romney.  Maybe try to get other people to listen.

The goal here should be to punish China, not necessarily anything associated with China.  I know that's a slippery slope because the IOC chose to hold their event in China.  Still, I like the narrative here by Romney where he's proposing that it's possible to support the event without supporting China.  And yes, it would further the goal of sending a message to China without trying to pretend that the Olympics don't exist, as if that will do the trick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Does Mitt Romney not realise that an economic boycott by companies will likely see athletes be unable to attend due to their sponsors pulling them out? Due to how entangled everything is an economic boycott would likely not be viable. 
 

 

That's not how sponsorship works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Does Mitt Romney not realise that an economic boycott by companies will likely see athletes be unable to attend due to their sponsors pulling them out? Due to how entangled everything is an economic boycott would likely not be viable. 
 

 

 

1 hour ago, ulu said:

That's not how sponsorship works.

Right Ulu, If I remember correctly, it is the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee alone, based on selections made by the applicable federation or governing body, that enters US athletes in the Olympic Games and its the USOPC alone that would officially withdraw an athlete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...