Artistic Gymnastics at the Rio Olympics.

5 hours ago, MissEurasia said:

She is a serious Medal Contender because she's performing one of the hardest Vaults in the World which has a 7.0 D Score. The only thing knocking her down is her E Score, She lands the Vault on her feet but it looks like she sits it down, If she can land upright then it's Medal confirmed. Paseka should not have won the World Title last year considering Hong performed the same Vault she did but with much better form. Chuso will be throwing the Produnova also, But I don't think anyone will top the Queen herself when she did it at the 1999 University Games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZBM1wgfRA

(BTW - Who's Park?)

Sorry I meant Hong Un Jong I read too fast and thought PRK was Park lol

Ahh Ok. Here's Elena Produnova herself doing the Produnova Vault (Hands down the best attempt yet) -

Hong did the TTY with the help of her Coach in training -

Dipa's Produnova in Qualifications -

She landed it during the Commonwealth Games EF's -

Chuso's Prod -

Chuso needs to work on the execution because she sat down and put her hands down on that attempt. I remember watching Hong throw the TTY in Podium Training and the way she landed made me cringe so badly, I was scared that she hurt herself.

16 minutes ago, phandrosis said:

I just watched the men's floor final and I hate how disrespectful the Brazilian crowd was. They knew that if Shirai messed up it increased their chances of getting a medal, so when he did they starting roaring and distracted Shirai even more. Have some respect.

i find this a little patronizing and culturally imperialistic when quiet western nations criticize other countries a la south africa 2010 for how their audiences behave. it's not much different from the white man's burden mentality that led these countries to colonize the developing world in the first place. "why can't they just behave exactly like we do?" frankly, it's embarrassing and rather racist.

Edited by kraussie-kraussie-kraussie

6 minutes ago, paul said:

The competition is not a cultural expression that changes from nation to nation, it is a physical test that requires concentration and athletes should be given the respect to compete without an audience trying to interfere.

more imperialistic attitudes, as if you get to dictate how brazilian audiences should react in brazil. if athletes don't like it, they don't have to come to brazil to compete. this is not some secret sprung on them at the last moment.

Yes gold for Biles!!! I don't think there has ever been a more clean, more beautiful vaulter ever! She makes it look so effortless! Damn it wasn't even close lol

And BWAHAHAHAHA Dipa of course knocked out of the medal. Learn to stand on your vault landings and maybe I'll consider you a serious medal contender.

And of course our best chance at a gold medal for men's gymnastics, and Jacob and Sam choke. They qualified 1 and 2, and they finish 6th and 8th. Something needs to seriously be done with the men's program. They had .

36 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i find this a little patronizing and culturally imperialistic when quiet western nations criticize other countries a la south africa 2010 for how their audiences behave. it's not much different from the white man's burden mentality that led these countries to colonize the developing world in the first place. "why can't they just behave exactly like we do?" frankly, it's embarrassing and rather racist.

This is absurd. Asking a spectating audience to show respect for athletic performance is not cultural imperialism, lol. White man's burden? WTF. What the hell does actual imperialism have to do with this? This is not soccer or volleyball. 

And I say this as a black man.

Edited by nykfan845
  • Like 1

Women's Vaulting Finals Results -

1st - Simone Biles (USA)

2nd - Maria Paseka (RUS)

3rd - Giulia Steingruber (SWI)

It was messy. Hong threw a TTY and falls, was not recognised as a triple, She looked really nervous. Paseka taking Silver over Steingruber is a crime, She had real messy form on her 1st Vault and barely controlled the landing on her 2nd, Still happy for both! Simone's Vaults were amazing, Gorgeous form, Good landings. I don't agree with Karmakar taking 4th over Wang Yan of China, Especially after the butt-planted the Produnova. Bars and Beam Finals are going to be REALLY exciting. I hope Steingruber picks up a Medal on FX also!

Also, The way the Brazillian Crowd behaved here is now surprise. Same thing happened during the 2007 Pan Ams, They cheered when the Americans had falls because they knew it'd increase Brazil's chances of taking Gold. I remember seeing a Cuban Vaulter fall and the crowd just erupted in cheers. I guess they really wanted Barbosa to take Gold lol.

3 minutes ago, nykfan845 said:

This is absurd. Asking a spectating audience to show respect for athletic performance is not cultural imperialism, lol. White man's burden? WTF.

And I say this as a black man.

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. perhaps my choice of words was a bit over-the-top, but competition audiences and their participation is absolutely a form of cultural expression and identity, and asking the hosts to tamp down their usual reactions is a tone-deaf reaction from western nations that expect conformity with their behavior. as if if it's empirically possible to designate a "right way" to behave at an athletic event, and a wrong way. i understand gymnasts are susceptible to faults due to sudden noises, but they were never promised a variable-free competition every time so i find my sympathy for them wanting.

besides, the criticism that event finals are sparsely attended but those that do attend are too spirited rings a little hollow.

1 minute ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. perhaps my choice of words was a bit over-the-top, but competition audiences and their participation is absolutely a form of cultural expression and identity, and asking the hosts to tamp down their usual reactions is a tone-deaf reaction from western nations that expect conformity with their behavior. as if if it's empirically possible to designate a "right way" to behave at an athletic event, and a wrong way. i understand gymnasts are susceptible to faults due to sudden noises, but they were never promised a variable-free competition every time so i find my sympathy for them wanting.

besides, the criticism that event finals are sparsely attended but those that do attend are too spirited rings a little hollow.

You can still show culturel expression and identity in your cheers while maintaining respect for the athlete and his or her opponents. Expecting an audience not to cheer at the expense of an athlete is not tone-deaf at all. There of course is a right way to behave at an athletic event. Would you be OK with a crowd screaming homophobic or racist slurs? Because this is their Games and their country, it does not mean they are absolved of any criticism of how they behaving when spectating.

This is the gymnastics event at the Olympics, not the World Cup. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MissEurasia said:

Also, The way the Brazillian Crowd behaved here is now surprise. Same thing happened during the 2007 Pan Ams, They cheered when the Americans had falls because they knew it'd increase Brazil's chances of taking Gold. I remember seeing a Cuban Vaulter fall and the crowd just erupted in cheers. I guess they really wanted Barbosa to take Gold lol.

Oh come on. Realistically most people cheer when the biggest competition to their preferred team or athletes falls or fails, even if it's a quiet cheer. It is rather odd to hear it so vocally from the entire audience, and downright uncivilized, but did you really expect civilization from a crowd that comes from a country with a collapsing government, collapsing economy, takes their football way too serious to the point of beheading players and coaches, has provided us a rush job of an Olympics, and lets athletes be robbed at gunpoint? lol

And my feelings overall about a noisy crowd are mixed. In some events like swimming and sprint races they're required for the beginning, but after the athletes take off it seems like you can do or say whatever. But with gymnastics, you have to get used to distractions because normally in team and all around you have multiple athletes performing at once, so you'll have to hear cheers, groans and bells coming from all directions. So even if they boo or cheer during the even finals, the athletes to some extent should be experienced in dealing with that noise.

BTW, I find the yelling from the fellow teammates way more annoying than the crowd, especially with the men's competitions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Gold AND Silver! Max Whitlock double Olympic Champion!

Murray, and the cyclists still to come. This is turning into Super Sunday.

Thank you whitlock and louis smith and that hideous tarantula nest you call a manbun. Your medals are helping me in the imaginary gamesbid race lol

And good on Naddour for getting a bronze in this individual event, even though you lost us more than 2 points on the floor exercise and the pommel horse in the team event final. But hey, so long as you get your medal.

Women's Bars Finals Results -

1st - Aliya Mustafina (RUS) (YAYYYYY!!!)

2nd - Madison Kocian (USA)

3rd - Sophie Scheder (GER)

I think Madi's form towards the end of her Routine cost her the Gold. Musty deserved this one, She can retire happy now and watch the Rod's try and figure out how they'll keep Russia going without her because I feel like she's been carrying Russia ever since she's been on the International Stage. Spiridonova came last with a fall which left Bronze wide open for the Germans. Elisabeth Seitz came in 4th with only 3 tenths behind Scheder. Happy for Scheder though!

It's inquiries galore in the beam final! Hernandez, Boyer (the french one I'm sure I misspelled that) and the Brazilian all filed inquiries making sure that they get a chance to be on the podium. Both Hernandez's and Boyer's inquiries are rejected. The crowd boos because the Brazilian placed 5th with a 14.533, but that's accurate considering she had so many balance checks. Biles unfortunately only medals bronze for the technical fall (she touched the beam with her hands, which under the rules is now considered a fall). Laurie Hernandez entered qualifying 2nd, and she stays there and gets the silver medal.

Biggest surprise, Wevers from the Netherlands goes home with the gold. Well deserved though her routine was the most unique out of the 8 that were up there. She was the most clean as well. Laurie was great but a couple of balance checks though.

Very odd the order of the events. With 2 men's events and 1 women's event it should really have started with a men's event, with the women's event in the middle and ending with another men's event. I hope Tokyo brings back the 2 days of event finals rather than 3 because this is ridiculous, especially since the spectators really don't get their money's worth.

Yes my bae Danell Leyva won two silvers on the parallel bars and the high bar! He goes home as the most decorated US men's gymnast for these Olympics!

Congrats to Oleg on his gold in parallel bars, I'm sure his performance was phenomenal. Sadly didn't see that event final since I forgot the event finals start much earlier than the team and all around finals.

Also Fabian from Germany FINALLY gets his gold! With the help of Epke falling of course lol. Sam Mikulak pushed off the podium due to Danell's performance, good. He had his chance for a gold medal on the floor and he failed there. This is Danell's event, not yours Sam!

And of course Simone wins her 4th gold for these Olympics, fifth medal overall! And Aly gets another medal as well, a silver on floor!

Watching this daily dismount thing that happens after every gymnastics competition with jonathan horton, courtney kupets and some other girl, and lol @ jonathan horton's suit. Dude either needs to get a custom made suit or get it heavily tailored because he looks like a box in it. Poor little guy.