Going to Rio?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you obviously don't speak enough english to understand humor in our language. but faulting a forum where you barely speak a recognizable form of its main language is insulting and presumptive in its own obnoxious way.

reread what baron wrote above. there's truth to that. the brazilians here have been acting very entitled, childish, defensive, and naive, and you first among them.

you're hosting two events on the world stage. for the first time, developed nations are holding you to their admittedly high standards. if you don't like it, you shouldn't have bid. when it comes to the olympics there isn't one set of rules for developing countries and another for developed ones.

if you don't like jokes on the high crime rate in brazil i simply don't know what to tell you. it's not as if you're above getting your own digs in, as we saw when you all but blamed the US for the high rate of drug-related crime in your country. just as the US must take responsibility for its drug usage statistics, brazil must take some responsibility of its own.

I do not come from an English speaking country. I know I don't speak perfectly, but I do understand your jokes. By the way, is it a mature discussion to acuse another person not to speak well your language? It's perfectly possible to realize your posts are not funny at all, as Flag Bearer said. You are beeing extremelly offensive.

Just for the record, drug-related crimes are a GLOBAL issue. Of course we have our great share of responsabillity, but you can't say it is just a local problem. After all, who buys all the drugs produced in Latin American countries?

I would also like to remind you that developed countries haven't been like this forever and there's a reason for that. You again talk in a superior way that, for me, sounds a lot racist. It is like others are doomed to be underdeveloped JUST because they are, somehow, inferior.

Tony E., it's weird you don't know if the supposed humor doesn't cross the line. Don't you speak English? Krow said I don't get it because of my poor English. But hey... you are English! Writting the way he did is not a positive discussion. He is just throwing prejudicial and racist, from my point of view, comments.

I also think you didn't read what I wrote above. I did reckon there are a lot of problems with the preparations. I also said I would love to go through it and, sometimes, when it's possible, give another point of view. I've been reading Dannyel comments for quite a long time and I have never seen he doing something different than just giving another point of view, after all we live here. You are getting information from the media. It doesn't mean we hold the truth and you don't. But it does mean that we can offer another point of view for the discussion. That's it.

Krow,

I speak perfect English. I undestand humor. None of your posts here are the least bit funny. Most people learn early on that you can't just throw out insults and claim, "hey, it was just supposed to be funny; can't you take a joke."

well, while your second sentence is highly debatable, i personally find all my jokes amusing. i'm not going to defend or apologize for my humor either. plenty of people on here enjoy my posts, case closed. i would suggest not reading them if they bother you so much.

besides, did anyone really think i believe i would be trafficked as a sex slave if i went to rio? mugged and shot, maybe, but not trafficked.

I do not come from an English speaking country. I know I don't speak perfectly, but I do understand your jokes. By the way, is it a mature discussion to acuse another person not to speak well your language? It's perfectly possible to realize your posts are not funny at all, as Flag Bearer said. You are beeing extremelly offensive.

ok i just can't with you. you're greatly offended by everything and that's not likely to change any time soon.

but for the record, since you asked, it's neither mature nor immature to tell somebody they don't speak a language well. it's just a fact: your english is just passable, and you're liable to miss things.

also, i'm not going to spend a lot of time defending how i'm not being "racist" in this thread, because that's a ridiculous accusation. to me, it says that perhaps you don't understand the meaning of that word in english. i guess what i'm supposed to take from that is because i'm white and most people in brazil--but not all--are not white, commenting on the overall crime rate of brazil, with no mention of the many different peoples that make up brazilian society from whites in the south to those of african or native decent, somehow that's a slight against all the non-white peoples of brazil, and therefore racist.

that's so flawed on so many levels i wouldn't know where to begin with that, but, no, the term "racism" is not the correct one. maybe you could look that term up and then get back to me with an apology.

The term is the same in portuguese. We say racismo. I don't think I have to look the term up. I think that, despite of my poor English (BTW, do you speak another language? If you do, are you 100% fluent? Are you in English?), I am sure it is possible to understand what I meant. I said you have acted in a racist way not because of the black or native peoples in Brazil, but considering the whole population, as you are speaking in a superior way and mocking our problems as if we live in a kind of Hell and you come from heaven.

Now you are saying you were only commenting on the overall crime rates in Brazil. Really?

No one is being racist here. Thorbr, if Brazil wants to host two major events, be prepared to be placed under the microscope and evaluated by the general public. You also have to realize that as you're country develops, it will be scrutinized and critiqued along the way. Such is life. Deal with it.

As for Krow, I though he was a total douche at first but I've realized most of his posts are actually hilarious and he's got a clever sense of humour. He cracks jokes about Canada all the time and it's not a huge deal.

I think a sense of humour is exactly what many posters here are lacking. They can't take a joke and get offended too easily.

Commenting and discussing the problems related to the event or related to Brazil that would impact the events it's one thing. Using stupid jokes the way you did is something totally different. If it is acceptable between the ones that live around you, you can't expect that in an international forum, as I assume this is, everybody should be laughing at it.

No one is being racist here. Thorbr, if Brazil wants to host two major events, be prepared to be placed under the microscope and evaluated by the general public. You also have to realize that as you're country develops, it will be scrutinized and critiqued along the way. Such is life. Deal with it.

As for Krow, I though he was a total douche at first but I've realized most of his posts are actually hilarious and he's got a clever sense of humour. He cracks jokes about Canada all the time and it's not a huge deal.

I think a sense of humour is exactly what many posters here are lacking. They can't take a joke and get offended too easily.

It is hilarious for you. I don't think the last ones were hilarous. Is it hilarious to joke about violence? Would it be hilarious if I started to joke about the World Trade Center, about the War in Iraq? I don't think so.

But well, I understand that I am the only one offended. So Krow, keep with it. People are LOL. You should go on. When you guys have something to say about Rio 2016 or Brasil 2014 I can try to add something, if I am allowed and if you can accept another point of view.

there you go. i'm just going to hire you to do all my PR from now on. now that i'm bowing out of brazil-gate, you're on call until the next scandal.

But well, I understand that I am the only one offended. So Krow, keep with it. People are LOL. You should go on. When you guys have something to say about Rio 2016 or Brasil 2014 I can try to add something, if I am allowed and if you can accept another point of view.

lord almighty, does that giant christ statue turn you all into martyrs or something?

there you go. i'm just going to hire you to do all my PR from now on. now that i'm bowing out of brazil-gate, you're on call until the next scandal.

lord almighty, does that giant christ statue turn you all into martyrs or something?

Come on man, I said you should go on... keep joking. There are people LOL. Maybe I can start some about the US. Who knows?

Just for the record, could you please answer my question? I will repeat. Do you speak another language? If you do, are you 100% fluent? Are you in English? Thanks.

No, I'm calling you a liar because you are claiming people said something they didn't. See?

Even Rob has seen it. I'm not lying. The Brazilian members on SSC are being defensive and naive.

Hey, I love humor. So help me out here.... where's the humor in suggesting that if people go to Brazil they will be mugged, shot and sold into slavery? Where's the gag, the humor?

Even Rob has seen it. I'm not lying. The Brazilian members on SSC are being defensive and naive.

Nope. You made a specific claim. Nobody else could have seen it, because it never happend. Why keep lying?

Hey, I love humor. So help me out here.... where's the humor in suggesting that if people go to Brazil they will be mugged, shot and sold into slavery? Where's the gag, the humor?

Nope. You made a specific claim. Nobody else could have seen it, because it never happend. Why keep lying?

Ok. Rob is a witness. Myself and Rob have been having discussions about the issue. We provided sources of information about the issues and they dismissed it, being naive about it. Now, as far as I am concerned, your being naive and defensive about them being naive and defensive. Go onto the Rio 2016 thread on SSC, look back the last 20 odd pages then tell me I'm lying. I'm involved in the discussion, I have no reason to make this up.

Ok. Rob is a witness. Myself and Rob have been having discussions about the issue. We provided sources of information about the issues and they dismissed it, being naive about it. Now, as far as I am concerned, your being naive and defensive about them being naive and defensive. Go onto the Rio 2016 thread on SSC, look back the last 20 odd pages then tell me I'm lying. I'm involved in the discussion, I have no reason to make this up.

We provided sources of information about the issues and they dismissed it...

As I said it is scary for me that you don't take different points of view. You just consider that media is always 100% accurate, so throwing articles like you do means that you are being 100% true. All Dannyel and other have been doing is providing a different angle, point of view, since we live here.

Olympicsfan97, thanks for your honesty. As I said before, drug-related crimes are a global issue and these are the critical problem here.

Obviouslly, robbery and other crimes are equal in any big city nowadays. It is an issue that I study and that I really care about. There are lives beeing taken here, specially, as you all know, in favelas and other poor areas.

We face a serious problem about that. Thankfully, in the last years we started to face the problem by investing again in the social area, after 20 years of dictatorship and a lost decade after that. Public policies such the UPPs, the program in the favelas to pacify them was a first action in order to revert this sad process. But of course, there are a LOT to do. We need more investment in these areas. People need education, health, a decent treatment. It is an issue Brazilian people are starting to face and starting to get involved.

It is not easy for countries that are "young" and have just came out from a dictatorship to have a vibrant democracy, people demanding on the streets. We have started to go to streets again, to engage, to demand. That's why many here are proud for the moment, for staging the 2 biggest events in the world. Because we DO know about the problems, but we are starting to face it face to face.

That's why Krow's comment's offended me. One should be sensible to other's culture. It would be the same if I started to make jokes about 9/11th or other sensible issues for the US. I would never do that, just for you to understand.

One should be sensible to other's culture. It would be the same if I started to make jokes about 9/11th or other sensible issues for the US. I would never do that, just for you to understand.

And 9/11 (or some other outright act of cold-blooded murder...which it was; no denying that) was something that people created and bid for like a World Cup or Olympics award?? :blink: So the killings in Nigeria these days are a possible target for jokes???

Wow...where is your sense of proportion???

Naive... Naive... Naive...

Tony, are you dyslexic or not reading what I'm posting here?

Despite the fact I said many times only in this thread "Rio does have trouble with drug gangs" or "After reading more about the issue, I agree Athens was not in worse situation than Rio" or "Deodoro is a major concern, I'm really worried about".
No matter what I say here, for you, I'll be the naive... And I couldn't care less. BTW, you are one of the most boring here ever (this is almost an unanimous opinion in the threads). Even people from your country hates you and you pro-British biased POV.

Your POV make us Brazilians sounds really critic about our country...

----

It's funny, FORUMS are intended to be a place for discussion and arguments, but, when I try to show some information are inaccurate, exaggerated or even absurd (like that report about big tarantulas and anacondas that can be a deadly threat for foreigners in Manaus). If I try to cast an opinon about anything, I get a lot of offensive or sarcastic comments...

"He is Brazilian, he is defensive all the time because he is very nationalistic-patriotic"... <_<

So, as I said before, if you guys are really worried about tarantulas, sex slavery, conga-lines, monkeys in red lights, and whatever International Media says about our 200-million people country (amazing how we get to this population since everything can kill you here in Brazil), just don't come... ;)

---

Thor, it's a lost case, somehow. I read a couple of times some here are glad to keep this kind of attitude just to see "Brazilians with red faces jumping up and down"... It's a kind of disgusting attitude that they justify with "culture reasons" or "lost on translations"...

Anyway, it's not a matter of racism and I do understand the fact we, Brazilians, need to learn how to deal with "superior nationals" that points finger all around...

Who knows?

And 9/11 (or some other outright act of cold-blooded murder...which it was; no denying that) was something that people created and bid for like a World Cup or Olympics award?? :blink: So the killings in Nigeria these days are a possible target for jokes???

Wow...where is your sense of proportion???

Baron, to joke about deaths, no matter which kind or wherever it happened is not funny, at least for us Brazilians and I'm sure you agree to me.

In 2009, when I was very mad with you and lost my mind, I made (and I regret a lot) similar jokes about an Earthquake in Philipines and you made a huge statement to me about it.

So, if it's fair to me, must be fair to everyone here, right?

So isn't there any chance locals, who live in the place the facts are running can be (at least part) right about what they are claiming?
Only international media holds the truth key?

Danny, don't even write a comment about Dyslexia. I'm not Dyslexic, but that could offend Dyslexic people. Fair enough, you are not being naive now. The thing that annoys me is you blame our media and only our media. Worldwide media is making stories about this. You say I'm one of the most boring on here, do I actually care? Don't start getting personal just because you can't back up your arguments. End of.

Personally, I have no respect for any British media outlets except for the BBC.

All media lies. It's annoying when people pick on our media, when all media will lie to get a story. In this instance, we have images of the progress and it's not looking good. Whether it's BBC, ITV, NBC, ABC, CCTV or Al Jazeera, they all will lie for money and a story.

All media lies. It's annoying when people pick on our media, when all media will lie to get a story. In this instance, we have images of the progress and it's not looking good. Whether it's BBC, ITV, NBC, ABC, CCTV or Al Jazeera, they all will lie for money and a story.

That's just not true. Two of those networks you just mentioned are usually referred to as the most reliable in the world, Al Jazeera and BBC. Another two are respected American networks. One is a state broadcaster run by a communist country. Hardly a fair comparison. ITV I don't know too much about.

The truth is, a lot of British media is based on sensationalism. They have a knack for picking on Olympics hosts too, like they ripped apart the Vancouver games. The whole phone-hacking scandal didn't do much to change my opinions either.

As far as American and other media networks are concerned, they're not always fair. In fact, most of them are very biased towards a certain belief. However, they don't report in a ridiculous tabloid style.

That's just not true. Two of those networks you just mentioned are usually referred to as the most reliable in the world, Al Jazeera and BBC. Another two are respected American networks. One is a state broadcaster run by a communist country. Hardly a fair comparison. ITV I don't know too much about.

The truth is, a lot of British media is based on sensationalism. They have a knack for picking on Olympics hosts too, like they ripped apart the Vancouver games. The whole phone-hacking scandal didn't do much to change my opinions either.

As far as American and other media networks are concerned, they're not always fair. In fact, most of them are very biased towards a certain belief. However, they don't report in a ridiculous tabloid style.

BBC and ITV are my local news outlets and 80 per cent of the time, I have no problem with them. My point is, no media is perfect and Danny keeps attacking our media. It's a bit unfair wouldn't you agree?

BBC and ITV are my local news outlets and 80 per cent of the time, I have no problem with them. My point is, no media is perfect and Danny keeps attacking our media. It's a bit unfair wouldn't you agree?

Idk, I find it a bit unfair that the British media continues to attack the Brazilian preparations. I can remember how pissed off I was when they did the same during Vancouver. The British media have a knack for getting under people's skin.

Of course, people always fail to mention that the hacking scandal was also uncovered by a British newspaper, the Guardian, the same paper that has this week won the Pulitzer prize for journalism:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/14/guardian-washington-post-pulitzer-nsa-revelations

We've got the best and worst jounalists in the world. Our media can be scum and self-interested, but it's also more vociferous than most which is why a big reason why the corrupt FIFA Exco hates England.

Anyone who claims the British media is all the same really has no clue.

Archived