Going to Rio?

Awesome to hear about the trip Baron.

Unfortunately i'm still waiting to hear my volunteer position for Rio so can't book flights or accommodation as I don't know what dates and location i'll be working. The organizers have said they'll be telling volunteers their positions up until the 31st of May! Only giving volunteers about 2 months to book stuff. Luckily the Brazilian dollar has dropped incredibly and flights are down to about $2500 from Brisbane to Rio (with connections).

I'm hoping to be in the Barra region but waiting to hear from the organizers. Thasn

Thanks, OFD. Yeah, have no regrets I visited Rio, even if a few months before the actual event. The SOGs are somewhat in the air but Rio is also laid out so vastly that it was hard to get a feel for how excited the whole,or most of the populace is. For one thing, Olympic Park is in a relatively NEW part of town. So by the blue Executive express bus from Copacabana is/was about an hour. If the Subway line 4 is done by July, that should probably cut it down to like 20 mins. But once you get to Alvorado Bus Depot, you will have to switch to the BRT Transoeste (to the RIo II stop -- one stop away); so another 10 mins. Rio II is a complex of condos across from Olympic Park.

Depending on where you're assigned, get a place close to where your venue will be, if you have a choice.

So, anyway, it was a thrill to finally visit Rio. Then as mentioned above, Iguazu is beyond words. Went to a bird park there; communed with the birds of the Amazon region. Since you're already in that part of the world, make a sidetrip to Iguazu.

Today, we had our city tour of Buenos Aires. Much cooler here in BA than in Brazil. Really like BA; very European and cosmopolitan; my kinda town. Tomorrow we go to a gaucho ranch; and then head for home on Monday.

Still have to get any Oly souvenirs. They are expensive and they will just sit in boxes; so photos are enough for now. Or anyway, if I have left over pocket money when I take the long flight back home from Sao Paulo, might pick up one or 2 last things there.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2

Tanks, OFD. Yeah, have no regrets I visited Rio, even if a few months before the actual event. The SOGs are somewhat in the air but Rio is also laid out so vastly that it was hard to get a feel for how excited the whole,or most of the populace is. For one tihing, Olympic Park is in a relatively NEW part of town. So by the blue Executive express bus from Copacabana is was about an hour. If the Subwasy line 4 is done by July, that should probably cut it down to like 20 mins. But once you get to Alvorado Bus Depot, you will have to switch to the BRT Transoeste (to the RIo II stop -- one stop away); so another 10 mins. Rio II is a complex of condos across from Olympic Park.

Depending on where you're assigned, get a place close to where you're venue will be, if you have a choice.

So, anyway, it was a thrill to finally visit Rio. Then as mentioned above, Iguazu is beyond words. Went to a bird park there; communed with the birds of the Amazon region. Since you're already in that part of the world, make a sidetrip to Iguazu.

Today, we had our city tour of Buenos Aires. Much cooler here in BA than in Brazil. Really like BA; very Europe and cosmopolitan; my kinda town. Tomorrow we go to a gaucho ranch; and then head for home on Monday.

Still have to get any Oly souvenirs. They are expoensive and they will just sit in boxes; so photos are enough for anyway. Or anyway, if I have left over pocket money when I take the long flight back home from Sao Paulo, might pick up one or 2 last things there.

Awesome, thanks for update. Are you going to Machu Picchu at all? Would love to see Iguazu and make my way to Machu Picchu.

Awesome, thanks for update. Are you going to Machu Picchu at all? Would love to see Iguazu and make my way to Machu Picchu.

No. Am not interested in seeing MP or Peru at all. (Plus, it's beyond my budget and time considerations now.) The Gaucho Ranch (estate) was a thoroughly pleasant surprise--not the least of which was a nice-looking young gaucho who reminded me somewhat of Heath Ledger in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN--in a stunning light blue shirt. Hopefully, I got good shots of him-- but didn't want to be too obvious.

(And wouldn't you know it, on the last night, I get Atahualpa's Revenge!) So I hope I'm OK tomorrow night for my flights back home!!)

Edited by baron-pierreIV