New sports at Summer Olympics?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports would you add?

2. 2. Which sports do you think will the IOC add?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squash is the only one I'd even consider from that list, but if any I suspect Baseball/Softball will find it's way back in.

It's not so much sports that need considering, it's the events in the sport itself. The cycling programme has been ripped apart for example rather unnecesserily when in their own World Champs over 5 days they can hold every discipline, so they could easily have accomodated the extra womens events, whether in the existing programme or by adding a day, without decimating the mens - especially as most cyclists compete in more than one event, so the number of athletes wouldn't rocket. It's also ridiculous the UCI have gone for one person per country when in Athletics you can have up to four (three reps and defending champ IIRC).

Also in swimming it would be good to see the 50m events in all disciplines - that equates to six extra events which I'm sure could be accomodated without adding an extra session.

Football also needs sorting - it's no surprise it's struggled most to sell tickets for 2012 with it being a minor event, of no interest to either Olympic fans or football fans, in big stadia. At the very least I'd remove the round-robin element so the event actually fits into the Olympic format. FIFA will moan it'll mean for half the teams their games is over after one match, but in most other Olympic sports athletes run that risk too - for some 100m runners they only get a few seconds of action in the games.

I'd say if Football wishes to remain FIFA should scrap another event of little interest - the Confederations Cup - and instead play that tournament as the Olympic Tournament.

Where's the vote for "no new sports." IOC will probably add stuff just because they like to add stuff... but I don't see anything on the horizon that is worthy. Maybe some sort of MMA, but I don't see how you get an Olympic sport out of that. Unless you combine all the current grapling sports into one category :)

>> Football also needs sorting - it's no surprise it's struggled most to sell tickets for 2012 with it being a minor event, of no interest to either Olympic fans or football fans, in big stadia

It's struggled to sell tickets because they got greedy and put the matches in large statiums. Interesting to contrast the Olympic venues with the generally smaller venues Germany is using for the Women's World Cup. Even if every match doesn't sell out, it's still going to sell, what, 1/4 of all tickets for the games? Had they used smaller venues, they might be sold old already. Don't expect big tweaks to football.. it generates a ton of money for the Olympics with almost no cost.

I say add those crazy MXC-style obstacle courses - only if Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano are providing commentary and Captain Tenneal is officiating. Don't forget field reporter Guy LeDouche. B)

None, and None.

Also in swimming it would be good to see the 50m events in all disciplines - that equates to six extra events which I'm sure could be accomodated without adding an extra session.

As someone who swims, I say, nah. You can see that in the FINA Worlds, but I don't think the Oly's need it. The 50m free is the swimming version of the Athletics 100m dash.

You are allowed to choose three sports in every poll (to get a better overview, which sports we want to be added)

Too late !!!!!!!!!

None, and None.

As someone who swims, I say, nah. You can see that in the FINA Worlds, but I don't think the Oly's need it. The 50m free is the swimming version of the Athletics 100m dash.

FINA tried to add events to the 2012 program but were denied, they were told they must drop events first.

SURFING! This would be a fascinating number of events, like snowboarding it can bring excitement and respect for the new and young. There are so many reasons this is a good idea. Durban without surfing would be a big miss.

I only put wakeboard because it's closest to surfing.....but NOT a choice I would make.

It's NOT codified. Won't make it.

Not only that, where the hell would some cities have it? Where the hell would Chicago have had surfing? Unless cities now have to build yet *another* venue like an artificial wave pool. Isn't it bad enough places have to build a white water course? It's so ridiculous, I don't know why or how whitewater slalom ever was allowed into the Olympic Games. Surfing, no.

EDIT: I take back my agreement with Baron. I'm not sure what he really means by "it's not codified".

FINA tried to add events to the 2012 program but were denied, they were told they must drop events first.

It is that attitude which has ruined the cycling programme, and also hit boxing too as they've had to kick classes out to allow women in. I understand the need to keep numbers under control, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the quality of the event - and the addition of rugby sevens and golf, though the first major additions in some time, will add for more competitors (plus the extra cost of hosting the event) than a few extra events in established sports.

Would like them to bring back baseball/softball but if they don't bring back baseball i'm ok with it but they need to bring back softball ASAP!!!

And I voted for "another one" so i'll specify. ready? wait for it... AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Yeah the U.S. would dominate for the first 2 or 3 olympics but the sport would catch on very quickly around the world in my opinion.

Would like them to bring back baseball/softball but if they don't bring back baseball i'm ok with it but they need to bring back softball ASAP!!!

And I voted for "another one" so i'll specify. ready? wait for it... AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Yeah the U.S. would dominate for the first 2 or 3 olympics but the sport would catch on very quickly around the world in my opinion.

Not happening.

And how many countries would contest that? 3? :rolleyes: And if by some cosmic-shattering moment, it got in with, even say 8 teams (maybe like in the year 3848), so how many bodies would that add to the Olympic Village...another 480 bodies? At which rate, an Olympic Village by that year would probably be built to house 75,000? Yeah, American football...in your dreams!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To echo baron's laughter at the idea someone might actually suggest this and to throw in 1 more point.. how often do American football teams play? They're used to once a week, good luck trying to squeeze an entire tournament into the timeframe of an Olympics.

Some crazy suggestions on this site. What's next.. someone actually thinking Tulsa might host an Olympics?!? :D

To echo baron's laughter at the idea someone might actually suggest this and to throw in 1 more point.. how often do American football teams play? They're used to once a week, good luck trying to squeeze an entire tournament into the timeframe of an Olympics.

Some crazy suggestions on this site. What's next.. someone actually thinking Tulsa might host an Olympics?!? :D

Haha I know it's unrealistic but hey i'm an American can't I dream :D OH and BTW Quacker they some times play twice a week thank you very much!!!!

And how many countries would contest that? 3? :rolleyes: And if by some cosmic-shattering moment, it got in with, even say 8 teams (maybe like in the year 3848), so how many bodies would that add to the Olympic Village...another 480 bodies? At which rate, an Olympic Village by that year would probably be built to house 75,000? Yeah, American football...in your dreams!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

actaully there is more than that i'll give you a couple off my head besides America that play football

Canada, Mexico, Japan, Ireland, Great Britain, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia, Russia, Hungary, Ukraine, Turkey, Greece, Israel and South Korea!

Yeah baron it would take till 3848 is when they'll reach 8 teams when they already have 30 country's playing it B)

Archived