45 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports would you add?

2. 2. Which sports do you think will the IOC add?

But majority of people have never heard of the Sport. The 2009 World Championship was held in Toronto and there was 0 press coverage at all.

Not majority people, but, maybe majority people in some country, since wushu is quite popular in country with a lot of chinese descendant, wushu also start to be known in Europa, i don't know about the popularity of wushu in canada, but if you compare the popularity of wushu with the popularity of golf, of course golf is more popular than wushu, but if you try to make comparison between wushu and rugby 7, i think the popularity is almost in the same level, i believe rugby 7 isn't a popular game in asia and africa, and south america

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would absolutely love it if the IOC had the cojones to tell FIFA that they want futsal/beach football instead of football. I think it would be amazing, futsal/beach football is fun to watch, require

i guess my math's a little off, guys, because if cricket's been over for 50 years and india's only 40 years behind, they're still at a place where cricket has been over for 10 years. whatever. the po

I just think that there are so many pro's and con's to every sport. And like I said before, I would rather the IOC push the limit to 320 and tweak the various sports to create a better overall program

Not majority people, but, maybe majority people in some country, since wushu is quite popular in country with a lot of chinese descendant, wushu also start to be known in Europa, i don't know about the popularity of wushu in canada, but if you compare the popularity of wushu with the popularity of golf, of course golf is more popular than wushu, but if you try to make comparison between wushu and rugby 7, i think the popularity is almost in the same level, i believe rugby 7 isn't a popular game in asia and africa, and south america

Your wrong. Rugby sevens in popular on all six continents.

Canada Pan Am Gold medalists, USA is a core member in the world series (North America)

Argentina is highly ranked (South America)

South Africa and Kenya are core members

Oceania the sport is dominant there

Asia rising powers in China, Japan and Hong Kong hosts a tournament every year

Europe has England, France etc.

Wushu I can;t even name a country besides China that is dominant.

I think the issue the IOC is having is that they do not want to overload the program with so many similar sports.

Raquet sports: Tennis, badminton, table tennis

Combat sports: Wrestling, judo, taekwondo, fencing.

In the end, I think the best course of action for the IOC is to follow give more events to the women's side of boxing and wrestling. Even out rowing and shooting and add women's flatwater canoeing. Looking at probably another 15 medal events. But it will almost make the entire games gender neutral.

• 3 weeks later...

And the gross inequality of its addition.

10 men's categories, 3 women's? Just like wrestling 14 men's categories, 4 women's. The IOC needs to budge on the number of events so that wrestling, canoe/kayak and boxing can be evened.

Not true at all. It's very popular in certain pockets of the world (Asia and Latin America, mostly), but it lacks any notoriety in the throes of the IOC in Europe. The problem of course is getting the best players in the world to participate and that is certainly not happening in the foreseeable future.

When you say "asia", "latin america", etc it makes it sound like more popular than it really is.

Baseball is popular in USA. Japan, Canada (intoronto says so) and in a bunch of island-like type of countries in central america and that's it.

Even in Venezuela, the only south american country where basebore is popular, the sport is losing grounds to football rapidly.

basebore is boring, unpopular, the top athletes don't care about it in the olympics, predictable (same countries every 4 years) and highly expensive since basebore is such an anomaly compared to other field sports that you NEED to build a fucking stadium exclusive for basebore.

Nope! Baseball looks to be the favourite to join the program especially if Tokyo is set to win 2020.

Another reason to cheer against Tokyo.

The IOC was never close to dropping it. When the full vote happened in 2005 baseball was dropped out right, softball was a tie and therefore dropped. The only other sport close was modern pentathlon. Another sport that is on the outs right now are table tennis and shooting. Table tennis because of the dominance of China and shooting because its place is questionable given modern sensibilities.

Hmmm! thx for the info, faster.

- Table Tennis federation should change its rules to make it more attractive for the rest of the world, also, chinese players shouldn't be allowed to play for other countries.,

- Who watches modern pentathlon?

- Shooting is not even a fucking sport. I hate hunting but hunting is a sport, but shooting an immovable/inanimate object? bleh.

• Like 1

This is the most interesting bureaucratic aspect of the Olympics I pay attention to and I have thought a lot about this.

Aquatics: Elimination of the 10m Synchronized Diving events, addition of 800m men’s and 1500m women’s freestyle swimming.

Boxing: Reducing men’s weight classes to 8 (from 10) and increase women’s weight classes to 8 (from 3)

Canoe/Kayaking: Add the K2 200m for women, add 3 flatwater canoeing events for women.

Cycling: Addition of 4 track cycling events (time trial and individual pursuit would be my preference)

Fencing: Eliminate all team events and instead having a mixed-weapon team event

Gymnastics: Eliminate Rhythmic gymnastics, replace with tumbling

Modern Pentathlon: Eliminate

Sailing: Add two events for women.

Shooting: Eliminate

Weightlifting: Eliminate 1 men’s category

Wrestling: Eliminate Greco-Roman wrestling, add 3 weight categories for women.

Edited by faster
  • Like 1

This is the most interesting bureaucratic aspect of the Olympics I pay attention to and I have thought a lot about this.

Aquatics: Elimination of the 10m Synchronized Diving events, addition of 800m men’s and 1500m women’s freestyle swimming.

Boxing: Reducing men’s weight classes to 8 (from 10) and increase women’s weight classes to 8 (from 3)

Canoe/Kayaking: Add the K2 200m for women, add 3 flatwater canoeing events for women.

Cycling: Addition of 4 track cycling events (time trial and individual pursuit would be my preference)

Well firstly wouldn't be axing the synchro 10m diving - that's arguably become the sports flagship event. The 800m/1500m doesn't bother me at all - I think the bigger issue is ditching the 50m sprint in backstroke, breast stroke and butterfly.

The quality threshold needs to remain and where men are more competitive they should not be penalised to allow less competitive female events in. The cycling programme for example is equality done poorly with little thought given to the men sacrificing events for the women. Frankly though that was bad planning by the UCI and IOC - they could easily have 12 or more events in the Olympic programme (the World Champs had even more over a shorter competition period) and actually keeping it at two athletes per country not only keeps the quality high, but makes best use of the talent that is available. In cycling for most countries where 2 could compete in the individual event the athlete will already be there for the team event. I agree the Individual Pursuit should have been kept, plus a distance event like the Madison, Scratch Race or giving the Eliminator status of it's own. Within the current programme though I'd ditch the Keiran for the Individual Pursuit as the sprinters are already well served.

I think football really needs looking at too. Not only does it require several additional large stadia outside the city (though usually already built) it thinks itself important enough to begin before the games. I see no reason why it can't be a straight knock out - athletes in track and field, swimming etc. can be out of the games after one race, so why not footballers. It also differentiates itself a bit from other football tournaments then.

One other thing they could do with the men is use the Olympics as the FIFA Confederations Cup. Nobody cares about Olympic Football, nobody cares about the Confederations Cup - but put the eight supposed best nations in the Olympics - with their full teams rather than Under 23s - and it might get some attention, though FIFA might not like the IOC taking the glory, and the IOC might not like FIFA taking the limelight.

intoronto, do you really thing basebore should become an olympic sport again?

The quality threshold needs to remain and where men are more competitive they should not be penalised to allow less competitive female events in.

Totally agree with this. There's not enough tallent to warrant 8 divisions for female boxing. 2kg for more or less isn't wont make much if any difference in woman boxing TODAY, someday, if the sport becomes popular among womans (highly unlikely, boxing is losing grounds at a fast rate) then add more female divisions.

Btw, 10 weight classes for males is too fucking much. Spreading the talent too thin is one of the bad things about boxing, amateur and pro, then a fighter ends up fighting 5 weight classes above his original weight class and he's like 10kg above his original weight and in reality he's simply cutting less water-weight...

7-8 divisions (just like judo, mma, etc) seems ideal for boxing. I'm not sure about the other competitions.you mentioned...

I think football really needs looking at too. Not only does it require several additional large stadia outside the city (though usually already built) it thinks itself important enough to begin before the games. I see no reason why it can't be a straight knock out - athletes in track and field, swimming etc. can be out of the games after one race, so why not footballers. It also differentiates itself a bit from other football tournaments then.

I don't remember cities building stadiums exclusively for football in the olympics... Anyway, your suggestion would just kill the interest about the competiont because "luck" would be a MAJOR part of the tournament. If you're lucky you could win it all and playing only 1 good team.

Still, IMHO, FIFA should just take football out of the olympics.

One other thing they could do with the men is use the Olympics as the FIFA Confederations Cup. Nobody cares about Olympic Football, nobody cares about the Confederations Cup - but put the eight supposed best nations in the Olympics - with their full teams rather than Under 23s - and it might get some attention, though FIFA might not like the IOC taking the glory, and the IOC might not like FIFA taking the limelight.

Quite wrong. Confederation Cup started with the wrong foot, in fact it's not even a FIFA tournament, and it was played every 2 years so it wasn't as popular and didn't drew much interest from media, sponsors etc but with its current format Confed. Cup grew by a lot and it's already FIFA's second most important, popular and lucrative tournament ran by FIFA.

In fact, due to its nature, Confed Cup produces much better games (entertainment-wise) than the WC.

Also it works as a "premiere" of the WC, FIFA also uses it to test stadia, organizers, security, transportation, etc, of the host country.

So... Confed. Cup is going nowhere, it'll only grow.

Btw, since football in the olympics aren't a FIFA tournament clubs aren't obligated to let their players play for their National Teams. So it's not happening..

There's no reason to keep football in the olympics, just add futsal and beach soccer. Those would be great!

Who voted for: Baseball / Softball

Citius Altius Fortius, gotosy, Doc Steel, Scotguy, Lord David, Golan Trevize, Bic, Citizen-Seth, nature, Ace, vincemcbaba, worldracer, bgdrewsif

Can you guys share your thoughts on why baseball should be back?

btw, intoronto didn't vote for it?

I voted just for baseball, as I don't think softball should be on the program.

In my honest opinion football is more boring then baseball, most football games are low scoring.

yet is by far the most popular sport on earth. Still, as I pointed above, I think football should leave the olympic movement. Sports that don't use its top athletes shouldn't be in the olympics

basebore is unpopular worldwide, expensive, boring as ****, outside of selected countries building a basebore stadium is simply useless, the top athletes don't care about the sport in the olympics, the major league wont change their centenary schedule to accommodate it in the Olympics.

So what's the point? I'd like to understand.

Unpopular world wide? What are you on crack? It has a presence on every continent (although not the popular sport in most countries, it exists). THe sport is boring at times, but at other times can be exciting as well, not as boring as you make it to be. As I clearly stated earlier, I only support baseball if the MLB players agree to come, if not I support squash.

How is baseball expensive compared to other sports like golf it is really cheap to play. All you need is a ball and a bat to play grassroots basball.

Unpopular world wide? What are you on crack? It has a presence on every continent (although not the popular sport in most countries, it exists).

As I said earlier, the sport is popular in 4 significant countries. Just because ONE country in asia loves the sport doesn't mean it's ppular in asia.

THe sport is boring at times, but at other times can be exciting as well, not as boring as you make it to be. As I clearly stated earlier, I only support baseball if the MLB players agree to come, if not I support squash.

Well, most of the world consider it ultra boring, but that's a subjective concept. what matters is that the sport in the olympics isn't even broadcast in ¨most of the countries in the globe, so there's no economic reason to reintroduce the sport to the movement.

How is baseball expensive compared to other sports like golf it is really cheap to play. All you need is a ball and a bat to play grassroots basball.

I'm talking about the LOCs perspective. Building a baseball stadium that wont be used ever again (considering only the countries that host the olympics a baseball stadium would only be useful in 3, maybe 4, of those countries.

IOC is trying to reduce costs and the size of the olympics. Eliminating an unpopular team sport (lots of players for every team) that also gives back very little in terms of revenue for the hosting country is the right thing to do.

Just want to point out baseball is popular in Asia not just in Japan. Korea won the 2008 OGM, and it is one of the most popular sport in Taiwan which produces competitive teams (top 5~8 ish WW) albeit not as strong as Japan and Korea.

I do agree though baseball should not be in the Olympics as Olympics should feature the top athletes in each sport.

That's the thing though, they aren't from the Netherlands. Try to find a baseball diamond in Netherlands or anywhere in Europe and it would be incredibily difficult. Same with Africa.

If the IOC added a bat and ball sport again I would prefer it to be softball, the top athletes would be at the Olympics, the sport is competitive on 3 continents for both men and women and a softball stadium is cheaper compared to a baseball one.

That's the thing though, they aren't from the Netherlands. Try to find a baseball diamond in Netherlands or anywhere in Europe and it would be incredibily difficult. Same with Africa.

If the IOC added a bat and ball sport again I would prefer it to be softball, the top athletes would be at the Olympics, the sport is competitive on 3 continents for both men and women and a softball stadium is cheaper compared to a baseball one.

Of course, but in the World Baseball Classic (BTW, a sorry excuse of an international tournament), players from Curacao are considered as Netherlands.

That is more to do with the internal structure of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, then anything. Just like Churandy Martina represents the Netherlands now.

But I think the point is moot anyways. Unless the IOC dumps Modern Pentathlon or Shooting from the program there will not be additional sports.

As a fencer, I have to say... mixed weapon team event? No, please God no. Saberists and foilists should be segregated at all cost O.o

(Seriously, I hate mixed weapon team events so, so much).

Softball is like Women's hockey with a little improvement. I would certainly say yes to it if both synchro and rhythmic gymnastics were dropped.

And what is the third continent that is competitive?

Baseball has three continents: South America, North America and Asia. Netherlands is also the defending WC champions (with majority of their roster coming from mainland Netherlands).

However like you say a sport needs to be dropped first to allow any chance for a sport to be added. Right now there really isn't a sport that I would say is in real danger of being dropped.