Glasgow 2014

Some of the wooden podiums used at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow are to be turned into scaled models and sold at auction.

The smaller podiums will be crafted by the team at Paul Hodgkiss Design which made the originals.

Glasgow 2014 has also announced that new homes are being found for the other podiums which are not being re-crafted.

Many have been given to sporting stadiums, clubs and centres around Scotland as part of the Games legacy.

Others have been donated to Glasgow Life and National Museums for Scotland and will be put on display at a future date.

Other elements of the medal ceremony have also been donated around the country, including the medal trays.

A set of ceremonial costumes which were worn by the male and female medal bearers has also been donated to Glasgow Life.

'Games first'

Glasgow 2014 chief executive David Grevemberg said a limited number of scaled model podiums would be available to buy.

"Apart from an athlete's medal, the most coveted and distinctive representation of the Games was the podium," he said.

"They were viewed by millions but exclusively reserved for those elite athletes who were top of their sport on that given day.

"Now, in another first for the Games, the podiums will be shared with all of those who were truly moved by the extraordinary sporting history created throughout Glasgow 2014."

The new scaled model podiums will be available to buy through the Glasgow 2014 Official Auction.

_77155080_77155017.jpg

• Like 1

Hope they don't recreate in model miniture those Bagpipers that announced the medal presentations...errrgh.

I see you're not a fan of Scotland's national and most iconic instrument?

IMO still beats a vuvuzela or a didgeridoo anyday! ;)

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

I see you're not a fan of Scotland's national and most iconic instrument?

IMO still beats a vuvuzela or a didgeridoo anyday! ;)

Not so much the Bag Pipes, they sound good in a large group more so....It was the constant solo everytime there were presentations. Even now talking about it, the bloody tune is running in my head... :wacko:

Wow, its been a month since they started, and already I've forgotten them for anything spectacular (apart from NZs topsy turvy results), nothing really negitive jumped out, but then nothing outlandishly spectacular either...You could say they really were "a safe pair of hands".

...anyone?

I definitely agree. Kind of easily forgotten but I guess that's better then the dramas of New Delhi?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-29935465

Glasgow 2014: Commonwealth Games 'was £25m under budget'

What did you expect?

It's Scotland for chrissakes.

...and yeah, as mentioned, pretty much explains the closing ceremony.

(Standby for Tela to chime in with an England would do it better comment)

you know, you can all joke but at the end of the day the glasgow games were staged within a resonable budget and being there the atmosphere was amazing. Look at the olympics, noone wants to host them too expensive. go on have your jibes and sniggers but at least the glasgow games were a model of how to do it, personal, local, electric atmosphere, amazing sports and friendship. or do you all want sochi style games fantastic ceremonies but atmosphere as exciting as a bad fart.

• Like 2

Nah, you weren't there, you don't know Glasgow. The games fitted the city very well, not too lavish, honest, where the sport shone through. Other cities could learn from Glasgow, why pretend to be something your not for a few weeks, money is not everything.

:)We all seem to get swallowed up emotionally with the Ceremonies here on GB.

It's the athletes that make it in the end...

To be honest, the feeling here was we expected something like London's closing ceremony atmosphere. Glasgow did it's best to prove a viable games.

Personally I'd like to see the "Razz Pazzazz" "welcome to our city", "kids are our future" stuff cut back to about 20 minutes, considering it takes friggin ages for the march past, and bowl through the flag raising and oath readings another 20 minutes. Of course can't do without fireworks. :ph34r: