Miami 2023?

spectator12

If June is the beggining of hurricane season I would be not concerned... Indeed, I've been many times to Florida in those months and never been there during a hurricane hit...

Unless they adjust the school calendar significantly to accommodate a PanAm Games say, starting June 1, such a dream ain't gonna happen. These larger, multi-event meets in the US need to happen DURING school vacation time so school in the Miani area would have to be finished by around May 20th in order that the campuses can be used.

Perhaps it is doable but with a few years advance planning and provided that the Miami/Dade County leaders see it in their best interest.

California summer could be as hot as Miami's one (or even hotter) and there were two summer olympics in Los Angeles :rolleyes: Anyway you can't really compare Miami weather with Dallas or Houston cause they're at a desertic zone, while Miami is at a sub-tropical zone, so it can sometimes have rains or at least more commonly than those two texan cities B)

Miami in summer can be like swimming in warm Jello when you walk outside, LA is almost always dry. I like extreme weather so super Humid/Hot Miami can be fun, and I love a good hot summer downpour. Could be a bit sticky for major games.

Miami in summer can be like swimming in warm Jello when you walk outside, LA is almost always dry. I like extreme weather so super Humid/Hot Miami can be fun, and I love a good hot summer downpour. Could be a bit sticky for major games.

Miami weather's is a little bit similar to Rio de Janeiro one... But Rio is hotter than Miami.

Major Hurricaines dont' hit the state every year either, let alone the Miami area. It's not that big of a deal.

major hurricanes dont hit the state every year, the problem is : we dont know when it would happen. plus the hot and humid weather contributes to severe storms in july, it rains almost everyday after 3pm.

If places like Puerto Rico, Cuba & the Dominican Republic hosted the Pan Ams during hurricane season (& those places are right in hurricane alley, then it shouldn't be an issue for Miami. It's being blown (no pun intended) out of proportion.

I don't think natural-disaster risk should be an obstacle for sports events (if they don't destroy the venues first)

An earthquake hitted China some months before the Olympics in 2008, and it's worse cause you can't predict earthquakes so you can hardly say if they'll hit the Olympics during some events, but a Hurricane can be predictable so it'd help to see if games can continue or start.

• 2 weeks later...

Just because I posted a pic of a hurricane barring down on Florida doesn't mean that I meant that they could not play host. I just said that I wouldn't want something like that to ruin the Games.

I think Miami should go for it. I would recommend that the Games be held in June though.

• 7 months later...

Miami is the perfect host for a PanAmerican Games if we talk about symbolism...

Miami is the synthesis of the American continent...

Americans (ok, not many, but Miami is still placed in the USA), Lots of Hispanic, A reasonable number of Brazilians, many people from Caribbean (indeed, Miami is placed near Bahamas and Caribbean sea) and Florida is one of most preffered destination for elder canadians...

Amazing place for the PanAmerican games. It would be the first city with all people from Americas inside the city and stadia.

I back Miami.

I think the USA needs to host a Pan American Games before hosting the olympics again. Miami would be a good host and New Orleans would do a good job hosting the games also

But no other city would bid for the Pan Am. Rio show that the success of Pan Am Games cause them to win the World Cup and the Olympics. It's time for one of our US city to bid

Yes, but it's the USOC that decides which city to present for a bid or not. So the USOC has to look at the bigger picture and I think for 2020-2022, it's looking at a YOG, perhaps the World Cup, and the 2022 Winter Olympics. So a PanAm bid for 2023 has to play into the USOC's 2020 onwards plan.

Archived