IAAF World Athletics Championships

Just wondering, why have the following cities not bid to host the IAAF world athletics championships, which were held in Helsinki this year.

I think each of these cities would have a strong bid, and they already have existing stadiums (or stadiums in the pipeline)  which would be very suitable for the event ie....

Sydney (Telstra stadium: 83,000)

Kuala Lumpar (National stadium: 100,000)

Istanbul (Ataturk stadium: 82,000)

Los Angeles (Memorial Colisuem: 92,000)

Houston (Reliant Park: 69,500)

Madrid (Estadio La Peineta: 66,000- 73,700)

Moscow (Luzhniki Olympic Stadium: 80,000)

Rio De Janiero (The João Havelange Stadium: 45,000)

Johannesburg (Soccer City: 94,000)- completion in April 2007

I think each of these cities would have a strong bid.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The track was ripped up from Telstra Stadium after the Olympics and would be a fairly major job to put it back in and I don't think the NSW Government/Sydney City Council really have the motivation to host a major event so soon after 2000. Likewise for Los Angeles.

- Jo'burg and Houston are rectangular stadiums and would have to take seats out and put a track on a platform to fit it in.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think that Rio's stadium was finished yet either.

I think you will see bids from all those cities in the very near future.  Particularly Istanbul, which has Huge Olympic Ambitions so they would use the Altheltic Championships as a warm up for the Olympics.  Sydney also will bid for these soon.

- The track was ripped up from Telstra Stadium after the Olympics and would be a fairly major job to put it back in and I don't think the NSW Government/Sydney City Council really have the motivation to host a major event so soon after 2000. Likewise for Los Angeles.

- Jo'burg and Houston are rectangular stadiums and would have to take seats out and put a track on a platform to fit it in.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think that Rio's stadium was finished yet either.

Correct- Rio's stadium isn't finished yet, and will be done so in time for the 2007 Pan Americans.

I think if Rio, Johannesburg or Sydney were to bid they would be strong bids as the championships have not been held in the southern hemisphere so the IAAF would be keen for a new frontier just like Edmonton 2001 was the first time the event was held in North America.

I know that if Sydney wanted to host them then the  Telstra stadium would be appropriate as the bottom tier moves backwards, enabling cricket matches to be held at that stadium and of course an athletics track to be installed. At least thats what the tour guide said when I vdid the stadium tour in May 2004.

Johannesburg could use Ellis park (60,000) or the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace, which will be used to host football matches in the 2010 world cup.

The stadium is situated in Rustenburg (90 minutes drive from Johannesburg). It already has an athletics track, and the capacity iis being increase to 40,000

rustenburg.jpg

Could Johannesburg really get away with offering a stadium an hour an half out of town?

Probably not. Distance is an issue with this stadium. But lets see how they cope with having world cup matches there in 2010, and whether there are any great difficulties with reaching the venue.

But I think another major issue with regards to Johannesburg is crime. It's supposed to have one of the highest murder rates in the world, along with places like Moscow.

Safety would be an issue when you have people travelling to more rural areas 90 minutes away from a city. Bu then again, it's some parts of downtown Johannesburg that are deemed no go areas after certain times, so it's something you can debate from many angles.

Melbourne is preety much a no go zone after 2006, after the World Cycling Champs, World Gymnastics Champs, FINA 2007 and the Commonwealths the city would be all "evented" out.

Im guessing Brisbane would be the strongest Australian candidate though it will need to built or renovate a stadium.

Adelaide is to crap, likewise Canberra and Hobart.

Perth will have a new 40,000seat athletics venue at Perry Lakes by 2010 so maybe an option.

A bid for the indoor version at Sydney's SuperDome, Brisbane's Convention Centre (not sure of dimensions) or Perths planned Arena.

I would love to see the Championship in Madrid or maybe somewhere smaller like Liepzig. A new stadium in New York (following the Queens plan)  could benifit a US 2016 Olympic bid, likewise Capetown.

What's with all these cities ripping up the track after the events?  It's not everyday you get to build a top quality, world class track in your city.

One of the few things left from the 94 Commonwealth games in Victoria, is the world class track.  It's by far the nicest thing I've ever ran on.  It makes a huge difference in performance and training.

What's with all these cities ripping up the track after the events?  It's not everyday you get to build a top quality, world class track in your city.

Because Track is really just a once-every-4-year thing.  You've seen one running body, you've seen them all.  Just change the track number bib, the logo, and the setting -- and they're all the same.

One of the few things left from the 94 Commonwealth games in Victoria, is the world class track.  It's by far the nicest thing I've ever ran on.  It makes a huge difference in performance and training.

Well, in Melbourne and Sydney's case, the venues there are used preety much every week of the eyar. The MCG is used for ATLEAST 28 weekends of the year and several other events on week days (and thats only for 1 sport!)... Likewise Telstra Stadium is used for AFl, Rugby, Cricket, conventions, Rugby League and ever motor cross on a regular basis, so having a track installed at both of these stadiums isnt something everyone wants.

The reason why the track cant remain layed under the grounds turf is because cricket venues need to slope away from the centre to allow for drainage, were as athletics track need a completly flat surface.... This is why a lot of work has gone into the MCG groundworks for the commonwealth games, to get rid of that slight slope that is needed for cricket and AFL.

• 1 month later...

So far this article says that Daegu (South korea), New Delhi, Valencia and Brisbane are all bidding for the 2011 world championships, and that there are 7 bids in total.

The article says the decision will be made in November 2006, which makes sense as Berlin was elected in late 2004.

Anyone got any further news? Can't find much on the official IAAF website..

http://www.prnewsnow.com/PR%20Ne....ionship

Daegu Bids For the 2011 Athletics World Championship

June 9, 2005 -- Daegu, the fourth largest city in South Korea, will bid for the 2011 Athletics World Championship, the city government announced on Monday (May 30).

The Athletics World Championship is a biennial track and field competition of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF). According to the committee, about 3,000 athletes from 200 countries will compete in this year's event in Helsinki, while more than 4 billion people are expected to watch it on television.

The committee estimates that some 6,200 athletes and 50,000 tourists will visit the city during the period. The city also expects to compete with seven other cities, including Valencia, New Delhi and Brisbane in the bidding. The IAAF's council will make the selection in November 2006.

The championship started in 1983. Eight of past 10 events were held in Europe, while Tokyo and Edmonton, Canada, were the only non-European cities to have hosted the event in 1991 and in 2001, respectively.

Daegu was the host city of the Summer Universiade in 2003

I guess that article forgot to mention Osaka for 2007. However, I thought reading somewhere that the Stanford area of California may try again to bid for it.

Did they bid against Edmonton for 2001?

Yes. In fact, it was the third bid in a row that the area lost to Edmonton. It wanted 1997 and 1999, too. However, I don't know whether the USA wants to bid for 2011 or not. But, despite its many successes in these kinds of events in the past whether Olympic Games or other like sporting competitions, I remembered reading something that these same events don't interest the Americans much.

I think I read somewhere that Los Angeles was due to host this year's World Cup, but it was switched to Madrid.

No.  Per the IAAF page, the WOrld Cup this year is in Athens in September.  Greece, that is - not Georgia.

World Champs next year are indeed in Osaka.  No word on the 2009 site which would come closely with the 2009 IOC Congress in Copenhagen.

I think I read somewhere that Los Angeles was due to host this year's World Cup, but it was switched to Madrid.

Madrid hosted in  March or April the IAAF Indoor World Athletic Championships... Do u think Valencia is a good contender for 2011? I prefer New Delhi... :oo:

Archived