What About Evalution And About Madrid

However, in some respects Madrid actually had the least criticized report. I mean, Madrid had criticism with regards being complicit with WADA. However, Spanish authorities have explicitly stated that they are so in effect this criticism is somewhat unjust. I you analyse what Madrid was criticized for it is actually less concerning than the other bids. I mean, Chicago's financing issues, Tokyo's lying about venues, Rio's infrastructure problems etc. Madrid highlighted concerns were actually 'smaller' in significance than the other bids.

I agree to what you said on Chicago, Tokyo and Rio bids. But EC criticized Madrid's bid heart, id est, the organization team itself. That is a different thing. You may have money - Atlanta had; you may have tradition - Athens had. You may have many issues, but you cannot fail in this factor, which is vital. I think Madrid can change things, it is stil time. The same way I am certain that Chicago's financial support issues will be managed; that Tokyo's proposal is much more important than an isolate point the EC has noted and Rio's infrastucturing concerns will also be history for 2016. I mean, the nature of what was criticized on Madrid's bid is much more serious than those things pointed out in the others, but this can be solved, too.

I agree to what you said on Chicago, Tokyo and Rio bids. But EC criticized Madrid's bid heart, id est, the organization team itself. That is a different thing. You may have money - Atlanta had; you may have tradition - Athens had. You may have many issues, but you cannot fail in this factor, which is vital. I think Madrid can change things, it is stil time. The same way I am certain that Chicago's financial support issues will be managed; that Tokyo's proposal is much more important than an isolate point the EC has noted and Rio's infrastucturing concerns will also be history for 2016. I mean, the nature of what was criticized on Madrid's bid is much more serious than those things pointed out in the others, but this can be solved, too.

I disagree that Madrid's criticisms were worst than the other bids. However, I got a more of a 'negative' vibe from Madrid's report overall. What that says to me is how the IOC has disproportionately amplified Madrid's problems compared to the other cities. Just my interpretation of course.

The IOC still know that Madrid has technically the best bid and indeed the one with minimal risk compared to the other bids. So, time will tell!

I don't know about that.

If they fix things now, they will do it because the EC brought it up. It would be hard to convince people that they have really realized what they meant by not understanding the Olympic movement. And I believe that there would still be doubts about the quality of the OCOG team. In the best case scenario, the OCOG did a very bad preparation to receive the EC so their docs and presentations were lacking detail and they did not have a good risk and issue management plan. Worst case scenario, they simply did not know which points they had to stress. The first case can be fixed, but they would be labeled sloppy. The second one, it would be too late in the race to have realized what was wrong.

A question to Madrid supporters: Was the OCOG team changed from 2012 to 2016?

To be fair beating NYC, a city whose stadium project fell through, wouldn't have taken much influence or brilliance. And nor would beating Moscow, a city everyone knew would go out first.

That's not having a go, just stating facts. Madrid could easily have won 2012, their timing was right and their bid was very good. This time their timing is off and the brilliance of their bid has been questioned.

Well, this is not what all the other supporters say about Madrid in 2005. It was NOT a world-class city and for sure, a weaker NYC bid would beat Madrid because... who cares about Madrid? You can't deny it was partially the tone of the race against Madrid in that time. At least here in GB.

"disproportionately amplified Madrid's problems" also known as being Osaka-ed. :)

spot on though.

To be fair, you can't really compare Osaka and Madrid: in Osaka's case, the EC Report explicitly stated that they believe Osaka was not ready to host the Games whilst the 2016 conclusion section states that all candidate cities could stage the 2016 Games.

If you read the whole report, Madrid 2016 does receive a lot of praises. However, if one reads only the summary part, I agree that the wording on Madrid is less impressive.

Archived