It Is Moscow Verses Singapore

2010 Youth Olympics  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will win

• Moscow
    • Singapore

The political atmosphere surrouding Moscow bid is less active when compared to Singapore's, as you it has being pointed out regarding the community involvement. I deeply believe the would definately increase the chance for Singapore cos it would be of no used if the cummunity on which the YOGs are taking place is not involved in it at a very high magnitude.

Sorry to say that Russian experience (boast of 500 olympic champions). Is that actually a criteria for YOGs? Media might fail to swing it for them this time around cos, I haven't come across a whole publicity expressing their plans so far on the race as compare to Singapore.

Does the IOC used the same criteria for YOGs and SOGs or WOGs?

I sometimes actually felt that public awareness in Singapore with regards to this event could have been higher than they already are, although I suspect they decided to push the idea strongly amongst the schools instead (the kids seem to know the latest developments before their parents all the time). Afterall, this is an Olympics for youths, I suppose.

A rather interesting article over here btw: Moscow confident of beating Singapore in bid to host Youth Olympic Games

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to respecting rival bids ... ?

Moscow knows that Singapore's chances are pretty high, hence there are attempting to play mindgames now. That same article says how Singapore refuses to be pulled into a war of words, and has wisely chosen not to comment on the Russian bid. However, it remains to be seen if a civilised strategy actually works.

Moscow knows that Singapore's chances are pretty high, hence there are attempting to play mindgames now. That same article says how Singapore refuses to be pulled into a war of words, and has wisely chosen not to comment on the Russian bid. However, it remains to be seen if a civilised strategy actually works.

Apologies. The "same article" should refer to a Straits Times article published today which goes like this:

Singapore will press on with bid

It is not backing down despite Moscow's call for Republic to host next edition in 2014

By Leonard Lim

SINGAPORE will go ahead with its bid for the inaugural 2010 Youth Olympics. This, despite Moscow's call for Singapore to stage the second edition in 2014.

Yesterday, International Olympic Committee Executive Board member Ng Ser Miang, one of the key drivers behind Singapore's bid, refused to be swayed by the growls emanating from the Russian bear, a giant in the sporting arena. He insisted: 'We want to host this event in 2010, and I believe that Singapore fits nicely into the concept of the Youth Olympics. We did our homework and ensured we were ready before putting up the bid.'

The Russians fired the first salvo on Tuesday, one day after Monday's unveiling of the two cities as the final short-listed candidates. Alexander Chernov, the Moscow bid committee's external affairs director, was quoted in a media report yesterday as saying that the Russian capital 'wants the special honour of organising the first' Youth Olympics. He added that Singapore could host the second edition in 2014, noting that as a former host of the Olympics (1980), Moscow's 'experience is our No 1 strength'. He added: 'Experience is very important and with less than two years to put it together, Moscow already has a team of professionals in place to do a good job.'

Singapore's bid committee, however, is refusing to back down. But it declined to be drawn into a war of words with its rivals, choosing instead to reiterate the strengths of its own bid. Parliamentary Secretary (Community Development, Youth and Sports) Teo Ser Luck noted: 'We respect Moscow's bid along the lines of the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect. But we ourselves have to strive for excellence and do our best in this final lap.'

The IOC's 110 members will vote by post over the coming weeks, with the winner to be announced on Feb 21. The IOC Evaluation Commission report released on Monday showed that Singapore had the edge in the areas of government support, financial backing and a well thought out cultural and educational programme on the Olympic movement and its ideals. Ng pointed out that Singapore's compact transport plan and strong public support across all age groups also put it in good stead.

Moscow's trump card is its experience in hosting major multi-sport events like the 1980 Summer Olympics and 2002 International Sports Youth Games. But Singapore has successfully staged several major events in recent years. These include the 2005 IOC Session, which attracted some 5,000 past and present sports stars, officials and international dignitaries, and the International Monetary Fund-World Bank meetings a year later.

The idea for the Youth Olympics was first mooted by Jacques Rogge when the Belgian doctor assumed the IOC presidency in 2001. Its aim: To enable small countries like Singapore a chance to stage a multi-sport event as they are unlikely to host the Summer Games. With only 3,200 athletes in the Youth Olympics, as opposed to the 10,000 at the Summer Games, the event is a far more manageable affair for a small city-state like Singapore to organise.

To Mr Teo, small could prove beautiful for Singapore. The adviser to Singapore's bid committee explained: 'If we do a good job, it could set a new benchmark in sports and serve as an inspiration to other small cities worldwide. That if a country puts its heart and mind into something, it can make a difference.' Added Ng: 'If Singapore does win the bid, it will create opportunities for other small cities to host the Youth Olympics as well in future.'

Singapore and Beijing are similar in that they belong in the same continent. Moscow and Sochi belong to the same country.

I see you are fond of geography :) here is some geography fact for you: the country you refer to is actually larger than some continents B)

No way does (Singapore) offer a similar experience as Beijing or Moscow.

I see that logic is not your favorite subject :) Do you actually mean that Moscow and Beijing are alike more than Beijing and Singapore in terms of ambiance? Respectfully, it looks like you have never been to Moscow, to say nothing about Sochi. As a frequent visitor to all these cities, I believe they are worlds apart.

nullifying the sovereignty of Singapore .

Please do not bring out your inferiority complex, no offense was meant by putting Singapore in the same category as Beijing or Moscow.

I see you are fond of geography :) here is some geography fact for you: the country you refer to is actually larger than some continents B)

That this said country is larger than some continents is but a "problem" it has to face up to in situations such as this. I doubt it is anyone's fault that the Caucasus region remains in the hands of the Russians. Perhaps Russia would like to help itself by returning Sochi to Turkery if it so wishes to drum up support for its bid, for suddenly, Sochi and Moscow will be in different continents!

I see that logic is not your favorite subject :)

I am a tad surprised that "logic" is involved in this discouse, so since we are on this topic, care to share with us the "similarities" you have observed between Beijing and Singapore?

Do you actually mean that Moscow and Beijing are alike more than Beijing and Singapore in terms of ambiance? Respectfully, it looks like you have never been to Moscow, to say nothing about Sochi. As a frequent visitor to all these cities, I believe they are worlds apart.

Perhaps the English language is not your First language, and while I do not claim to be an expert in this subject, I am pretty sure it is pretty naive and simplistic to form such deductions from my statements. I wrote extensively on my view that the three said cities do not give the same "ambiance" as "big international business centres". At no point in time was a comparison made between Singapore and Beijing vis-a-vis Beijing and Moscow. Having not been to Moscow or Sochi, I respectfully do not attempt to describe them. Given your extensive travel experiences, could you care to share more on your personal take on the above two city pairs then?

Please do not bring out your inferiority complex, no offense was meant by putting Singapore in the same category as Beijing or Moscow.

Having come across plenty of clueless Americans who ask if Singapore is a city in China, I would be astonished if this phenomena is also observed amongst Russians. On retrospec, it is indeed offensive to place Singapore in the same category as Beijing or Moscow on retrospect, so thanks for pointing that out.

I would like the Singaporeans to be more discinpline in their comments rather not like the Russians.

Can we know from both sides which country made best provision for his youths leaving sports experience or blabla aside?

Erm... I think Moscow put their foot in it by saying "Singapore can host 2014". That is up to the IOC members and not an overconfident bid committee - if I was an IOC member, I would be quite insulted by such a statement!

I think this is how it should be:

2010 - Singapore

2014 - Brisbane

2018 - Sao Paulo

2022 - Montreal

2026 - Cairo

2030 - Moscow

Erm... I think Moscow put their foot in it by saying "Singapore can host 2014". That is up to the IOC members and not an overconfident bid committee - if I was an IOC member, I would be quite insulted by such a statement!

Agreed.

Although Moscow may have lots more experience and infrastructure, their somewhat haughty behaviour leaves more to be desired. Coupled with the fact that they're channeling in more than twice the money than Singapore, I won't be surprised if they buy their way to the bid.

I would rather Moscow organise 2014. This is because Singapore should give it a shot first in 2010 and then the IOC can then evaluate the pros and cons of letting smaller countries and cities host Olympic events rather than the same few metropolises who monopolise Olympic bids

I think this is how it should be:

2010 - Singapore

2014 - Brisbane

2018 - Sao Paulo

2022 - Montreal

2026 - Cairo

2030 - Moscow

A European city will be much earlier than 2030. Probably the next time around if Singapore wins. I really do think Singapore will win. Just have a feeling I guess.

Perhaps Russia would like to help itself by returning Sochi to Turkery

I see history is not your strong subject either :) As a matter of fact Sochi has never been a part of Ottoman Empire (present day Turkey)

share with us the "similarities" you have observed between Beijing and Singapore?

I did not want to state these, but you asked for it. I certainly cannot pretend to be objective, but this is what I felt similar in both places.

Apart from the obvious ethnic relationship, both cities have the government very strongly imposing the rules of people's behavior. These rules are sometimes very unusual for outside visitors (e.g. as you probably know in Singapore chewing gum is restricted and corporal punishment is practiced).

Next similarity is food: the spicy-greasy contents and people's habit of eating out en masse.

In both cities a lot of consumer products is sold in markets and small shops, where the pricing is not fixed and you are expected to bargain.

Beijing has now got its skyscrapers next to traditional pagodas looking similar to Singapore's.

Funnily enough in both places I was offered prostitutes by a pimp walking in the very center of the city. Prostitutes of course exist in other places, including Moscow and Sochi, but there they are offered through classifieds, not in the street.

Before making the list too long, I want to make clear that I liked my experiences in both cities and they were indeed different to some extent. But on the other hand I would say that those 'clueless' outsiders may have some reason for their opinion. :)

I would rather Moscow organise 2014.

Then Russia would have two Olympic Games in one year, an all-time record :)

Apart from the obvious ethnic relationship, both cities have the government very strongly imposing the rules of people's behavior. These rules are sometimes very unusual for outside visitors (e.g. as you probably know in Singapore chewing gum is restricted and corporal punishment is practiced).

Next similarity is food: the spicy-greasy contents and people's habit of eating out en masse.

In both cities a lot of consumer products is sold in markets and small shops, where the pricing is not fixed and you are expected to bargain.

Beijing has now got its skyscrapers next to traditional pagodas looking similar to Singapore's.

Funnily enough in both places I was offered prostitutes by a pimp walking in the very center of the city. Prostitutes of course exist in other places, including Moscow and Sochi, but there they are offered through classifieds, not in the street.

Before making the list too long, I want to make clear that I liked my experiences in both cities and they were indeed different to some extent. But on the other hand I would say that those 'clueless' outsiders may have some reason for their opinion. :)

Please get your facts right . First of all, the chewing gum problem isn't as big as you portray it as. Chewing gum can be chewed as long as you dispose of it properly. In fact, customs don't even bother to confiscate gum. I always bring chewing gum home when I go on vacation and I haven't had a problem.

Singapore cuisine is almost similar to Malaysian cuisine. " where the pricing is not fixed and you are expected to bargain." . I'll have you know that bargaining is found only at the local WET MARKETS and a few other shopping streets.

Next of all, Singapore does not have pagodas next to high rises. The only place where you'll find pagodas are in Chinatown or a Park.

"both places I was offered prostitutes by a pimp walking in the very center of the city." Do you even know where is central Singapore ? The only place where you'll find these people are in the red light districts of Joo Chiat and Geylang which is in the East part of the island.

I see history is not your strong subject either :) As a matter of fact Sochi has never been a part of Ottoman Empire (present day Turkey)

I did not want to state these, but you asked for it. I certainly cannot pretend to be objective, but this is what I felt similar in both places.

Then Russia would have two Olympic Games in one year, an all-time record :)

An all time record indeed. That's a more worthy piece of history than hosting the inaugural YOG

in fact, can users please stop mudslinging Singapore again and again.. i'm singaporean and i'm pretty much uncomfortable with such half truths

Please get your facts right .

I did not want to get into this discussion, but again I am asked to.

the chewing gum problem isn't as big as you portray it as.

I never said it's a big problem, I said it's an unusual problem. I said the gum is restricted and it is - my facts are right.

I'll have you know that bargaining is found only at the local WET MARKETS and a few other shopping streets.

That is exactly what I said: in markets and small shops.

Next of all, Singapore does not have pagodas next to high rises. The only place where you'll find pagodas are in Chinatown

Singapore's Chinatown is a walking distance from the skyskrapers - my facts are right.

Do you even know where is central Singapore ? The only place where you'll find these people are in the red light districts of Joo Chiat and Geylang which is in the East part of the island.

The instance I described actually happened in Orchard road, very central. If you are not looking like a foreign tourist you may not even know this thing exists there. :)

in fact, can users please stop mudslinging Singapore again and again.. i'm singaporean and i'm pretty much uncomfortable with such half truths

If you are talking about my posts they were always replies to other people's questions addressed to me. I never intended to offend Singapore and i am sorry if you felt that way. As I have said I like the city and wish you every success!..

...after this February I mean :)

I have lived in Singapore for all my life not once have I heard of a prostitute offering sex on Orchard Road.

Please stop questioning me on this subject, so that other people stop thinking I dislike Singapore.

And also please stop misinterpreting me - I never said it was 'a prostitute offering sex' I said it was 'a pimp', in fact a very respectable-looking old lady.

Enough said. Back to topic! :)