Redesign For Union Jack.

MIKYSALT

I found that one on Wikipedia. Saw another with the Welsh dragon across it. It kind of does suck that Wales (except as a part of the Kingdom of England) was never included in the flag, but the Union Flag has so much history and meaning now.

If you Brits are going to change anything, change your ridiculous and meaningless Olympic logo and leave your beautiful and highly recognized flag alone!

I found that one on Wikipedia. Saw another with the Welsh dragon across it. It kind of does suck that Wales (except as a part of the Kingdom of England) was never included in the flag, but the Union Flag has so much history and meaning now.

If you Brits are going to change anything, change your ridiculous and meaningless Olympic logo and leave your beautiful and highly recognized flag alone!

I agree about the logo

but Wales should realy be on the flag

this is a bit more sedate

unionjackflag_468x272.jpg

I'm sure it probably does such to the Welsh that they're not included in the Union Flag, but then again, they do have such a distinctive and attractive flag of their own, and I remember from my visits to Cardiff that they're not shy of flying it!

I doubt the change proposal will get very far. From the experience of Australia, it's an emotional and difficult thing to get a flag changed. We've probably got as strong a logical and emotional case as any to change flags, but when it comes down to nitty gritty, trying to persuade people to change a design with history and tradition behind it, a flag that people have fought and died for, is difficult in the extreme. And then trying to get a majority of people to agree on the replacement is well-nigh impossible. Getting a majority of people to rally behind a sports logo is hard enough _ just try seeing how devisive changing a national flag is!

That said, the Canucks did it well.

The Queen's flag reflects the 4 realms, that should be good enough.

Canada changed its flag in the 60's and it was heated during the time because the veterans were all up in arms because the fought and died under the red ensign, now everyone loves are flag. Though its kinda plain being ditonal.

Actually, Wales isn't directly represented in the Queen's arms either. You have one quarter Scottish lion, one quarter Irish harp, and 2 diagonal corners of the 3 English lions. No dragons or leeks at all.

With the design above, doesn't Wales become over represented with its crest at the centre? And what are the green lines for? And where does Northern Ireland's red x go?

Flag design is terribly emotional. Canada's flag worked only because they chose a symbol for the whole country as one and not a flag that represented the bits and pieces that make up the country (although many tried!).

Well,if the Scots do become independent (and they are already acting in many ways like they are),the Union Flag will become redundant,so enjoy it while you can!! ;)

I thought the Union Jack has no Welsh element, since it was annexed by England in the laws of Wales Acts 1535-1542 - the Union Jack was introduced when the kingdoms of England and Scotland had been united in 1603 - in that time Wales was part of England...

Good point.But Wales now has its own National Assembly and Welsh national feeling has grown greatly in the last half-century or so.Treating Wales as just another part of England (even if legally correct) is no longer acceptable to many Welsh people so some kind of accommodation may have to be made!

Well, I read that as EVEN more effective branding for 2012, GBR and London will also change their names to akiRema and siraP respectively. In keeping with 2012's present, innovative logo, the new names will also be the first in history starting lower case and having a capital letter in the middle or ending with a capital.

There will be worldwide constests supposedly to figure out what the new names mean and where they came from.

Well, I read that as EVEN more effective branding for 2012, GBR and London will also change their names to akiRema and siraP respectively. In keeping with 2012's present, innovative logo, the new names will also be the first in history starting lower case and having a capital letter in the middle or ending with a capital.

There will be worldwide constests supposedly to figure out what the new names mean and where they came from.

Her Majesty's Government and the LOCOG committee have carefully considered your proposals and,after taking quick soundings,have just announced that your ideas are respectively tihsLLub and parC!

But they have asked me to thank you anyway! B)

Her Majesty's Government and the LOCOG committee have carefully considered your proposals and,after taking quick soundings,have just announced that your ideas are respectively tihsLLub and parC!

But they have asked me to thank you anyway! B)

Oh, decisions made in haste will always be regretted. I am giving them more time to reconsider.

BTW, there is a condo complex in NYC already called the parC vendomE, Mr. Mainad. So, that's not too original. ;)

This sounds awfully like Gordon Brown's transparent love of "Britishness" to me. It won't solve anything.

You mean Brown's hideous, woeful and utterly futile attempt to make us forget that he is Scottish and the current political systems are unfairly biased against England, to give it its full and correct title?

Besides which, haven't we got more important things to worry about than this? Not only will it not solve anything, but I reckon I've got more chance of winning the Lottery than this actually happening.

Archived