Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre Expansion Project

mr.x

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the plans for expanding Aberdeen Centre for more retail and a hotel?

3_Road___Aberdeen_Project3_070510.jpg

Yeah - the changes at Aberdeen Centre are unreal. I believe that you had posted some time ago some plans surrounding each of the Richmond stations which are all misblowing in their own right. The skytrain line in Richmond is of particular interest to me as I was born and raised there until moving to Gastown in 2001. Every time I drive out there I'm amazed at it all. The Aberdeen station has made me a little nostalgic as my 1st job was at that strip mall "The Sirlioner". And the Nuffy's Donuts.. ah Nuffy's. 3 & Cambie looked alot different then...

Interesting about the stations though not being that expandable. It's surprising that they would not have given consideration to how future growth on the line would require further station expansions. However this is bound to happen when you enlist a P3 partner on to a project. Cost is always kept in check. But if this wasn't a P3 project, we'd have cost overruns up the wazzoo and the opponents to this and every other thing going on right now would have had a field day. So I guess we accept this as the best alternative.

I really don't know how you find the time to post all that you do X, but thanks for the info. Hope your thread doesn't get hijacked again.

Fisher - serious business at hand in my world, somewhat more important than this forum, however better late than never:

"How do you know so much about everything? was asked of a very wise and intelligent man; and the answer was 'By never being afraid or ashamed to ask questions as to anything of which I was ignorant."
Lord Billingsley

"The worst of all deceptions is self-deception."
Saul Bellows

News flash: When you point a finger at someone the finger is pointing back at you.

Think again about your accusations of me. Has it ever ocurred to you or your pals to ask intellegent questions about any details I have posted or that other more balanced commenters like agenthuggles or Ruling Czar have posted, for everyone's interest vs shooting the messager?

I would welcome disagreement but from the start I have been sworn at by simply posting alternate views of the world reality from the what I sourced in the media & internet, to the bath water that your & others choose to drink. The responses have been appalling, at the very least.

While on the topic of "minds" . . . .

"The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when it's open."
:D

I would welcome disagreement but from the start I have been sworn at by simply posting alternate views of the world reality from the what I sourced in the media & internet, to the bath water that your & others choose to drink. The responses have been appalling, at the very least.

That would be fine, if you posted alternative facts. But all you've posted is hints, aspersions, vague unspecified claims and circumstantial points. As far as the rest of us in the world who eagerly hunt for and gobble up any Olympic news and happenings every day, nothing is coming up on the radar out of vancouver except how well everything is going with the organisation. It's been actually so uncontroversial, it's been boring. We like a good scandal to bitch about _ believe me, we're ready to tear into any Olympic pitfalls and faults that cop up _ but trying to care at all about the vague aspersions you have posted is like trying to get outraged by a whiff of mist on a clear day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm sorry.........It doesn't fit in with the surrounding environment not even in a profoundly "stand out" sort of way. I've been trying to curb my hatred for this thing, trying to see its beauty but it isn't there yet. Maybe it will be when fully completed.

I'm sorry.........It doesn't fit in with the surrounding environment not even in a profoundly "stand out" sort of way. I've been trying to curb my hatred for this thing, trying to see its beauty but it isn't there yet. Maybe it will be when fully completed.

It's still a steel and bare bone structure, not even close to completion....how on earth are you already judging it?

This is a huge facility, and I guess it's sort of Hong Kong-like...how we have this massive convention centre facility right on the central waterfront. I've heard that there will be some cool lighting effects when completed.

IMGP1844.jpg

IMGP1837.jpg

IMGP1833.jpg

IMGP1832.jpg

IMGP1831.jpg

IMGP1830.jpg

IMGP1918.jpg

Thanxs X but it still has an incredible "Yuck" Factor!

Well, for $900-million we certainly could have had a much better design - starting with hiring a world-class architect....but what we have isn't too bad at all. It's definitely not a Guggenheim, but it does have its Vancouver charm with all the glass, green roof, open public space, and wood finishings. You have to visit it to really appreciate its sheer size.

The City and provincial government are currently planning to build a $400-million art gallery in downtown, and they are planning to open it up to world known architects to design it so we end up with something like Guggenheim or Federation Plaza in Melbourne or the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.

15 years ago, Moshe Safdie designed our new central public library in downtown (two blocks away from the proposed art gallery site):

19550087.library.jpg

11473748_873e3ba9a9.jpg

1985925197_e24b260eb5.jpg

How many of the current Trade shows and Conventions that go on in the Stadium will move into this new Convention Center?

Very few, considering the convention centre serves an entirely different, more upper-class convention market while B.C. Place will still be home to things like boat shows and monster truck events.

$ 400 million for a new Art Gallery? I thought I heard $ 50 million. While the Government is in the spending mood, they might as well spend $ 150 million to put a decent roof on the Stadium instead of taking the chance of letting a bunch of employees at BC Place fool around with the pressurization system again a few days before 2010.

$50-million is for the initial commitment, for things like planning, the international bid phase, hiring a world-class architect, and other preliminary construction works. The total cost is $400-million.

You can't build anything for $50-million...definitely not a world-class art gallery.

• 3 weeks later...

posted by sfu vancouver, taken april 10:

p1060382oz4.jpg

p1060383sm1.jpg

p1060375dx3.jpg

p1060354no9.jpg

conventioncentrefromhargy7.jpg

A detail shot of the footings for the Convention Centre that will assist marine life. It looks more like it will keep pirates from boarding.

conventioncentrefootingar1.jpg

Lastly, the main staircase from the Seawall to the street grade is coming along.

conventioncentregrandstny2.jpg

OMG>>>did the roof collapse? Was there an earthquaKe? Did a ferry slam into teh construction site?

You'd have to be quited against the city to say this isn't somewhat impressive:

p1060375dx3.jpg

It's coming along quite nicely.

Look at the design of the OLD Convention Center roof with the posts and sails. Might that be a design for the new Stadium Roof since Birdair apparently did both projects?

dude, just shut the **** up with your stadium crap in all of the forums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

City's Signature Roof

Plan is to cover convention centre top with dense green vegetation

Pete McMartin, Vancouver

Published: Saturday, May 17, 2008

At the moment, the grandest and most ethically ambitious architecture in the city -- the green, living roof of the new convention centre -- resembles a hair plug job. There's a lot of bald up there.

It's sparse, but growth proceeds. They started planting it two weeks ago, and crews are working their way across the six-acre roof sewing and digging in more than 750,000 plants. A green blush appeared on the canvas of the roof's dark-brown growing medium of pumice and organic matter.

It's hairing up.

They aren't plants you find in the typical urban garden. They're not gaudy flowers, but tough, mundane survivors. There is common thrift and Hooker's onion and chamiso sedge. There is beach strawberry and broad-leafed stonecrop and silverweed. There is bent grass and pearly everlast and quatro sheeps fescue. All of them are indigenous to B.C.

They've been planted about six inches apart on a predetermined grid, and the plan is that by August, they will have grown together to cover all the bare spots and form a dense green, foot-tall mat of vegetation. When it's complete, it will be the largest green roof in Canada. For something so low-lying and organic, it's a very big architectural statement -- an enormous verdant horizontal in the midst of a vertical downtown.

More than the new convention centre itself, more than the sails of the old convention centre or the stockade of highrise condos ringing Coal Harbour, the roof will be the signature architecture of all those things Vancouver wishes itself to be -- green, environmentally compatible and living. It's the imagined future -- not green like Stanley Park, but an attempt to let the rough edges of the wild leak into the urban setting. It will be a little unkempt, and an extension of that which presses up so close to the city.

"The theme of this roof," said Bruce Hemstock, the roof's landscape architect, "is B.C. coastal grassland. And I say that sort of loosely because it's difficult to recreate a coastal grassland on a roof. But esthetically, that's what we're going after.

"Practically, did we take coastal grassland plants and put them on the roof? No, because they're completely different ecologies. But we tried to create a roof that looks like that and functions like that."

The template, Hemstock said, was Triangle Island, a craggy Gibraltar-like rock at the northern tip of Vancouver Island. It's a bird colony for murres and puffins, and shawled in a blanket of tough, low-lying greenery. It's exposed to wind and salt air and rain and hard summer sun, all the environmental challenges that the plants on the roof will face. It's tough growing up in the wild: it might be tougher in the city.

Hemstock has no doubt the roof will be a success, though some doubts about its viability have been expressed. Nothing this big in Canada has been attempted, and if the roof greenery does fail to take -- and for such a wide expanse, the harsh environmental factors of drought, wind and salt air will be all that much more difficult to address -- then fixing it will be no easy matter. Or cheap. You can't just re-tar a green roof.

But Hemstock sees no reason why it shouldn't. All the plant types have been tested in similar conditions for hardiness. An irrigation system, using the grey water from the convention centre itself, and recycled rain water captured by drains on the roof, will be used to get the plants through periods of drought.

And at fruition, Hemstock sees an ecosystem that will help cool the building during summer, and keep it marginally warmer during the winter. It will greatly reduce the "heat island" effect that conventional roofs contribute to in urban settings. It will extend the life of the roof by shielding it from ultraviolet rays. It will produce oxygen and absorb pollutants. It will muffle the sound of float planes. It will provide a home to nesting songbirds and colonizing insects. It will also be a helluva lot less ugly to look at. If all goes well.

Maintenance?

Weeding crews and weed whackers. There is a limit to the roof's shagginess, Hemstock said, and when the grasses reach a foot and a half or so, it'll get a haircut.

But the one big irony of the green roof?

Few will see it. It's 10 stories above the street. For safety and maintenance reasons, there will be no public access to it. Office workers and residents in the highrises around the convention centre will look down on it, and conventioneers will only be able to see smaller portions of it where lower levels of the roof have been planted.

For the man on the street, whose tax dollars paid for it, the roof will remain a feel-good idea, not a visible tangible. The grandest and most ambitious architectural statement in the city will be unseen.

The plants, and the birds and insects that live there, will have the place to themselves.

pmcmartin@png.canwest.com or 604-605-2905

How about installing cameras atop the roof?