Some More Olympic Tv Updates

Olympics08, could you please breakdown the makeup of ATV's 1300-hour Olympic coverage if possible? How much of the coverage is going to be in English and Chinese? How many hours are to be in HD and what channel(s) will the HD version cover? Is there a breakdown of what sports ATV Home, ATV Him, ATV Her, and ATV Plus will cover? Have you got any info regarding TVB's Olympic plans?

I forgot about Mart Smeets! :lol: I remember printing the NOS Athens TV schedule, and there was a late night show that he hosted. Will the Olympics be on NOS Nederland 2? With the Olympic Internet going all through the day, will his show be included and have sport simulcasts and/or on-demand channels after the fact with their own announcers, interviews, and the world feed?

Schweizer Fernsehen's SF1 and SF2 will deal with the Beijing Olympic Games coverage, which may or may not was mentioned in the announcement. No online plans yet, if any.

Its Austrian neighbors will have HD coverage on ORF HD.

It will be on Nederland 1 this year. All the sport is on that channel. The internet coverage will be the world feed, so without commentary and interviews. I know that it is only availible for internet-users with a dutch IP-adress. So if you are living outside The Netherlands, you will have to use a proxy-adress to see it.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be on Nederland 1 this year. All the sport is on that channel. The internet coverage will be the world feed, so without commentary and interviews. I know that it is only availible for internet-users with a dutch IP-adress. So if you are living outside The Netherlands, you will have to use a proxy-adress to see it.

The internet coverage of the competition we'll get through NBC, I presume, will like what you just described: minus the interviews and commentaries. Come to think of it, stuff that won't be shown on the NBC Universal Olympic networks will be exactly the same feed, so there won't be any need for us to utilized a proxy-address to see it.

Speaking of NBC Universal, the USOC is surely shaking in their boots with the announcement NBC Universal just bought a serious equity stake in WCSN to be later renamed Universal Sports. I'm anticipating what kind of plans for international sports this network will cover, since the market for international sports in America is niche and not potent enough to create serious structural change in the American sports landscape. Now with its pull from NBC from aspects like skilled marketing tactics, look for it make more serious inroads into digital and analogue TV from operators more so than what the USOC could attempt to do; a serious chip in NBC's favor is that it could very well maintain its US TV and footage rights to the Olympics it has broadcasted since Seoul 1988 (to say nothing of Sapporo and Tokyo) and block USOC from using them--NBC holds the rights to Beijing for one year after they're over. I've always been hoping for greater coverage of international sports that are only conscious to many Americans during the Olympics and then some with a few other sports (with some exceptions like bobsledding, skeleton, and luge on the SPEED Channel, 2006 Commonwealth Games on Fox College Sports, NRL/AFL/Rugby World Cup on Fox Soccer Channel and Sentanta Sports, cricket on PPV, and soccer and some international basketball on NBATV). I was a little misled about that when WorldSportHD came on the scene a couple years back, but it just devoted to soccer like Spain's La Liga. Interesting to watch on how things develop. WCSN obviously will be a network to watch come Vancouver and London, should it last long up to then.

NBC Buys Serious Equity In World Championship Sports Network

Another excellent segue: WCSN may not participate in the online coverage of the Beijing 2008 Olympics for NBC, the most ambitious online coverage in history, but we do finally get some much deserved fresh details and a behind the scenes look at how things will fall into place with the streaming of the Beijing Olympics for us American Olympic crackheads like me as we eagerly anticipate the online coverage live and on-demand, starring Microsoft's Silverlight. Plus some history of online video on the Olympics starting from Sydney.

Streaming The Beijing Olympics

Wikipedia adds Lithuania's LRT to the list of international broadcasters. Expect basketball to serve as a major part to their Olympic coverage.

With KBS, MBC, and SBS all engaged with the Olympics for the final time as the Korea Pool before SBS takes over solely starting with 2010, the only detail I gathered is to "ensure maximum coverage and exposure of Olympic sports" (this taken from the Australian Olympic Committee's website's press releases) on South Korean free-to-air TV, I think at least 250 hours of coverage will get get aired with a primetime daily highlights show added. So which network will get what sports? Do they alternate like Germany's ARD and ZDF? Who does the ceremonies? Online coverage? Etc.?

Hope you enjoyed or enjoying the excellent article from Streaming Media! Wow, isn't that something? :)

SVT commentator team, I forgot to include, will include the aforementioned Andre Pops, Marie Lehmann, Jonas Karlsson, and Jacob Hard. If you want to see how SVT will run things in Beijing, check this with videos, their coverage plans with an above photo illustration of hurdler Susanna Kallur (watch out for her!), and you can click for the (preliminary) SVT schedule. SVT OS 2008 i Peking Subsite

I hope we Americans can get the pre-Opening Ceremony events if not on NBC but online as part of the coverage. PS: If somebody out who happens to be Greek and got the entire pre-Athens Opening Ceremony festivities on ET1, please drop a note to us so we could possibly add that to our Olympic recordings, maybe make it as a bonus feature.

How about some Finnish Olympic TV coverage news? Apparently, like us with Telemundo and NBC, Belgium with VRT and RTBF, Canada with CBC/SRC and TSN/RDS, Switzerland with SF, TSR, and RTSI, Finland will have simultaneous Olympic coverage in two languages and will finally cater the Olympics TV coverage with its Swedish minority in mind. YLE's publicly funded Swedish language digital TV channel FST5 will run the Swedish language portion of the Olympics, yet a large portion of its TV audience are actually Finnish-speakers. YLE's TV2 will air the Olympics with online footage on YLE's website. Its coverage will air several hours a day (say 11-15 hours a day) with a nightly 1 hour and 35 minute review show. FST5 will its own daily highlights show after its own immense coverage from 3-18.50 but with a shorter running time. Don't know how many hours each will do as of yet, but I will find out, but it's kinda funny MTV3, an official media sponsor for the Finnish Olympic Committee, isn't really part of it. YLE's subwebsite is now up and running, so go check it out, even if you may have trouble reading Finnish! YLE is the first website to actually try to post its TV schedules (still preliminary though)!

YLE: Beijing Olympics 2008

NBC Universal's renaming of World Championship Sports Network to Universal Sports has already occurred today to coincide with the start of the US Gymnastics Trial, where the opening rounds are underway. I didn't know that such an international sports network already existed in WCSN until I read about the eventual takeover perhaps because it wasn't on either DIRECTV or Dish Network, let alone digital cable. I was hoping ESPN, with its clout, would create something like this.

That Streaming Media article says 4400 hours will be on the NBCOlympics.com website. That's interesting. Must be some repeats and on-demand coverage combined. More on that later.

Sochu.com wins the comprehensive Olympic Internet webcast rights for the Chinese rights with the Internet arm of state broadcaster CCTV after dropping their exclusive advertising plans that several web portals found objectionable. Jiejie, Maryjane, et al. do you know how many hours will CCTV will televise the Beijing Olympic Games in all of their various channels combined? How many online? And should we expect from their coverage on both platforms?

Wikipedia dropped RTBF from the roster of international broadcasters, but I doubt that it's dropped altogether and instead changing that to a more specific RTBF channel like La Deux. We'll see--simultaneous French and Flemish coverage is good.

Ukraine is just now in on that very same list with UT1.

Mexico's Televisa, the largest TV network in the Spanish speaking world, will transmit their coverage through live streaming throughtout the Spanish world. Don't worry Telemundo will allow streaming of its coverage in the Spanish-langauge too on NBCOlympics.com

I should say The Ukraine's First National. I checked the link for that network's Olympic plans, and though I don't read in Cyrillic, it may say 120 hours could be telecast there from First National.

Any distribution of the Olympic sports covered on the Japan consortium?

Ahmet, any news on TRT's Olympic 2008 coverage?

TVNZ announces four Olympic channels

20 Jun TVNZ's blog | Email this page | 7 reads

geoff_bryan_d.jpgtonyVeitch.jpg

Geoff Bryan and Tony Veitch: TVNZ's 2 main Olympic Coverage Presenters

TVNZ will broadcast more than 800 hours of free-to-air Olympics action to New Zealanders this August, delivering LIVE coverage of the world's biggest television event on TV ONE, TVNZ Sport Extra (Freeview Channel 20) and two dedicated on-line 'channels'.

When the world's elite athletes gather in Beijing, Kiwi viewers can expect expanded coverage, and new technologies that bring them closer to the drama and excitement than ever before. A library of Olympics highlights will be updated daily at tvnz.co.nz.

Beijing 2008 will also be the first Olympics broadcast in high definition. TV ONE's coverage of the Games will be available in HD via the DTT Freeview platform, so that viewers with HD-capable televisions can get closer to the action than ever before.

TVNZ Head of Television Jeff Latch says delivery of the Games on multiple platforms is the most compelling example possible of TVNZ's new guiding strategy – Inspiring New Zealanders on Every Screen.

"Nothing compares to the power and excitement of an Olympic Games," he said.

"It is the world's largest stage, and the world's biggest television event – and I'm delighted that TVNZ can bring New Zealanders the whole dramatic spectacle Live, Free-to-Air, and on a choice of screens."

TV ONE is the home of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, covering the Games as a whole, and moving between individual events to take Kiwi viewers to the best action as it happens. The three temporary Olympic Channels at TVNZ Sport Extra and tvnz.co.nz will be programmed by ONE Sport and will complement the coverage on TV ONE.

"To truly experience the Olympics as an event, watch TV ONE," advises TVNZ Head of Sport, Murray Needham.

"TV ONE's coverage is designed to capture the drama and competition of the Games as a total event. TV ONE will have all the big Olympic moments, and will follow the Kiwi competitors, but will also keep viewers up to date with the many different events taking place simultaneously in Beijing."

"The digital and on-line channels are where viewers will be able spend extended periods of time watching individual sports, including some of the Games' most popular events, as well as spectacular sports that rarely screen in New Zealand. TVNZ Sport Extra is going to be running 24 hours a day with full competition sessions, supplemented online by additional and alternative coverage."

The Olympics is the world's biggest television event. In 2004, the Athens Olympics broke all global TV viewing records, with nearly four billion people tuning in to Olympic broadcasts at least once during the games. In New Zealand, 85% of everyone aged five and over tuned into the Games on TV ONE at least once during primetime.

With Beijing a viewer-friendly four hours behind New Zealand, TVNZ's coverage of the morning sessions will kick off at around 12.30pm and continue through the afternoon and evening. The afternoon session will be anchored by experienced TVNZ sports presenter Geoff Bryan. After a break at 6pm for ONE News and Close Up, the evening session will begin at 7.30pm, anchored by ONE News sports presenter Tony Veitch.

Sports broadcasters Toni Street and Lavina Good will work alongside Tony and Geoff as roving reporters, providing background stories and coverage from the sidelines.

TVNZ is the official rights holder and will have a full production team on the ground in Beijing, including a strong news and current affairs contingent, dedicated new media producers, and more than 20 expert commentators sourced from New Zealand, Australia, Africa, The United States, the United Kingdom, and Europe.

The Beijing Olympics will be broadcast via satellite to 18 stations in the Pacific region on the TVNZ Pacific Service, and TVNZ will also be producing Olympic coverage for delivery to South Africa, Asia, and North Africa, including the Arab States.

I just checked Wikipedia, there is no Indonesia broadcaster now in wikipedia for Beijing 2008 :( , rumours that Beijing 2008 won't be aired in Indonesia seem true now

That list isn't complete. There are only 45 countries on the list, only in Europe there are 50 countries broadcasting the Games live. Around 80-100 countries will broadcast the Games live, so they're missing a lot.

That list isn't complete. There are only 45 countries on the list, only in Europe there are 50 countries broadcasting the Games live. Around 80-100 countries will broadcast the Games live, so they're missing a lot.

Hmm... but I think Indonesian TV won't aired Beijing 2008, because until now, 2 months left before the start of Beijing 2008, there is no one TV in Indonesia which aired any commercial about they will air the games, so sad :(

Hmm... but I think Indonesian TV won't aired Beijing 2008, because until now, 2 months left before the start of Beijing 2008, there is no one TV in Indonesia which aired any commercial about they will air the games, so sad :(

How has Indonesian TV covered past games _ Athens or Sydney, for example?

^ Sydney 2000 is the last games where we Indonesia can watched it freely, I remember when the Indonesia team entered the stadium, suddenly the camera shoot another angle (At that time Indonesia and Australia have a little problem :) )

Athens 2004 can watched in cable tv with limited area, just in Jakarta and Surabaya via FirstMedia

the rumours is FirstMedia also have the right for Beijing 2008, but when I asked FirstMedia about it, they not reply my email yet :(, maybe we in Indonesia can watch Beijing 2008 via CCTV china :(

Indeed, Wikipedia apparently hasn't got the memo yet on Switzerland, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Croatia, Estonia, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Iceland, Denmark, Belarus, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Malta, Bosnia and Herzecgovina, Montenegro, Georgia, Azerbaijian, Albania, or Armenia yet--and that's just on Europe. South Africa is not on the list yet. Not even Argentina or Uruguay.

Thanks so much on the latest TVNZ Olympic news, Mattygs! That's comperable overall to what Seven and SBS will air together across the Tazman Sea, the number of hours that is! :)

I think NBC's "Today " could broadcast from up there. If the pollution isn't cleaned up enough by Games time, the producers may feel that it won't be safe for Matt and Meredith and Al to be outside for hours. Plus, morning states-side will be evening Beijing time, so the location will provide even better visuals for the show.

Beijing Olympics on the BBC

The BBC will be mounting its biggest ever Olympic operation to bring you all the action from Beijing.

The 2008 Games run from 8pm on Friday 8 August to Sunday 24 August in China's bustling capital city (though the football tournament starts on the 6th).

And BBC Sport will be there every step of the way - on TV, radio, red button, online and mobile phones.

BBC ONE and BBC TWO will bring you 300 hours of extensive coverage from the Games.

We will be broadcasting from approximately 0200 to 1800 BST each day and we will screen live coverage of the day's best sport.

An evening round-up show will allow those of you who have been at work to catch up with all the highlights and key moments.

Other BBC channels such as BBC World will keep viewers around the globe up to date with the latest goings-on and BBC News 24 will be out in Beijing to bring you all the news and issues surrounding the Games.

SPORTS EDITORS; BLOG

"As anyone with a HD set will know - the results are stunning "

Roger Mosey,

BBC Director of Sport

Our coverage will be supplemented by the BBC's High Definition (HD) Channel.

HD is a new kind of television which delivers more detailed pictures and sharper shots of fast-moving action than conventional 'standard definition'.

The HD format will be an extra stream available alongside conventional analogue and digital broadcasts.

It will only be accessible to viewers who have all of the following:

HD ready televisions

HD set top boxes

HD services from satellite or cable providers.

The Olympics will be the BBC's biggest ever interactive operation.

Available via your red button, satellite and cable viewers will be able to choose from up to six channels of action, 24 hours a day.

Freeview viewers will have access to at least two extra streams in addition to the offerings on BBC ONE and BBC TWO.

Olympics Interactive will be a 24-hour service offering a huge choice of sports as well as a medals table, news stories and schedule.

Between 0200 and 1800 BST Interactive will show the best of the day's action, much of it live, and after that replay the major events of the day to allow viewers to catch up on any sports they may have missed.

Particular emphasis will be put on following members of the Great Britain squad in their bid for medal glory.

Our interactive air time will be upped from 1,000 hours of coverage at the Athens Olympics to 2,450 hours in China giving you the chance to watch uninterrupted coverage of your favourite sports.

How to get BBC Interactive

RADIO

BBC Radio 5 Live will be providing comprehensive round-the-clock coverage with live sport throughout the day.

Many of your favourite shows will come live from Beijing.

There will also be a 24-hour offering on BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra, 5 Live's digital channel.

World Service Radio will give listeners around the world a global perspective, with commentary, live updates and all the latest news from China.

BBC Radio stations around the UK will concentrate on the local angles and will follow the athletes in your area.

As usual, bbc.co.uk/sport will have all the latest news, photos, results and big-name analysis on its dedicated Olympics site (bbc.co.uk/olympics).

And UK users of the website will be able to watch live video of all the key action. You will be able to choose from up to six video streams showing simulcast coverage from BBC TV and BBC interactive.

Highlights of the best of each day's action will be available to watch on demand and you will also be able to listen to audio commentary from Radio 5 Live, via the BBC Sport website.

There will be video training guides from the BBC Sport Academy to help you learn more about the sports that make up the Olympic Games.

bbc.co.uk/sportacademy

We will be launching an Olympic blog - authored by BBC journalists and presenters, athletes and experts - which will have plenty of gossip, anecdotes and photos and give readers to chance to interact with our writers.

BBC News will keep you up to date with all the major news coming out of China and the wider political and human interest stories from the Games via bbc.co.uk/news.

MOBILES

UK users will be able to watch live video from Beijing streamed on their mobile, and you will be able to catch up with the best of the action with highlights clips.

If you want the NBC Olympics on the Go, you better have Vista servicing that. No surprise that Vista happens to be a Microsoft creation and is the top-of-the-line for Windows computers.

NBC Olympics On The Go Downloadable Is Vista Only

Wavexpress will provide downloadable Internet video services for NBC's 2008 Olympic coverage by TVTonic up to HD quality.

Speaking of TVTonic, with its help NBC readies its Olympic Internet video coverage. The video illustration may, emphasis on the word may, show what it could look like when unveiled.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/06/nbc-readies-vid.html

http://tvtonic.com/olympics

Latvia's LT7 Olympic websites:

Olympiade LTV 7

Olimpiade 2008--LTV Sports

A snarky column from fellow Olympic junkie Ron Judd from the Seattle Times regarding his observations on how NBC package and process the coverage of the 2008 Beijing Games. Expect more of the same with what we had in the past with NBC proper's telecasting with little as of yet details on scheduling and online streaming. I share plenty of his concerns and sarcasm.

Ron Judd Seattle Times Olympic June Column

RTP Portugal announced in early May (May 5 to be exact) the network will transmit 500 hours with a staff of 15 from Beijing for 17 days starting from August 8.

I do agree that other media outlets are angered over NBC's heavy-handedness with its exclusive (in the US) Olympic coverage, even online. NBC seems so worried that people won't flock over to their family of TV networks to watch as much, even a major and prestigeous international event as the Olympics. Fact is, the American viewing public have far greater choices to watch on the ever-increasing various TV networks out there. Everything is now fragmented that the Olympic aren't as the big draw that once was, and the other networks know this for several years now. But why strong arm the publishing and other medium material like Swimmers' World magazine, in the sense that US Olympic Trial footage must get pulled down by August 7 (hint to us to start recording the likes of that as well)? The following Washington Post story also notes and answers a question that I had but long suspected that only sports that aren't going to be on the TV schedule--like say the women's badminton Round of 16 will hit online. All that's clearly secondary to the TV scheduling. Those events that will get the televised treatment will arrive online after the fact. No chance on looking for them live online--got advertisers and the major fee to protect. Many Americans Olympic fans have noticed this too for years with NBC in control: other TV networks like ESPN aren't allowed much access to actual video Olympic footage of the Games in question. Nor are the Games talked about heavily on other networks' evening news. All of this is very wrong. :angry: ABC was never like this when it had them. Make sure the events that are televised go on in its entirety upon going online!

Washington Post: NBC Provides Wide Online Olympic Content For Beijing

Never mind the Windows Vista capabilities issues that may get worked out...

RTP Portugal announced in early May (May 5 to be exact) the network will transmit 500 hours with a staff of 15 from Beijing for 17 days starting from August 8.

I do agree that other media outlets are angered over NBC's heavy-handedness with its exclusive (in the US) Olympic coverage, even online. NBC seems so worried that people won't flock over to their family of TV networks to watch as much, even a major and prestigeous international event as the Olympics. Fact is, the American viewing public have far greater choices to watch on the ever-increasing various TV networks out there. Everything is now fragmented that the Olympic aren't as the big draw that once was, and the other networks know this for several years now. But why strong arm the publishing and other medium material like Swimmers' World magazine, in the sense that US Olympic Trial footage must get pulled down by August 7 (hint to us to start recording the likes of that as well)? The following Washington Post story also notes and answers a question that I had but long suspected that only sports that aren't going to be on the TV schedule--like say the women's badminton Round of 16 will hit online. All that's clearly secondary to the TV scheduling. Those events that will get the televised treatment will arrive online after the fact. No chance on looking for them live online--got advertisers and the major fee to protect. Many Americans Olympic fans have noticed this too for years with NBC in control: other TV networks like ESPN aren't allowed much access to actual video Olympic footage of the Games in question. Nor are the Games talked about heavily on other networks' evening news. All of this is very wrong. :angry: ABC was never like this when it had them. Make sure the events that are televised go on in its entirety upon going online!

Washington Post: NBC Provides Wide Online Olympic Content For Beijing

Never mind the Windows Vista capabilities issues that may get worked out...

That's far better than in China, it's illeagle to post a LIVE PIC EVEN ON YOUR PERSONAL BLOG, beat that~

That said, the austere restrictions on how Olympic images be used if it's not athletes or networks that own media rights to those games are disturbing even on those who plan to be responsible with their usage.

After reading this post from Harrison Hoffman on the institutional embargo on the televised marquee Olympic stuff (you know, the biggers sports like gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball, basketball, softball, volleyball, rowing, track and field) on NBC from hitting online until later instead of live as it happens accompanying the 2200 live hours favoring the more niche-oriented sports (at least to the US viewers) for free powered on MSN's Vista and Silverlight. It's just been revealed that the televised coverage will not make their online appearance until 12 hours after their TV broadcast--Telemundo's too. Hopefully, they too will get show online in their entirties. But like Hoffman, I too can understand why NBC is reluctant to go full steam ahead on the Olympics online; understandably, online distribution on a major event is indeed a risky proposition from a long-standing workable model with billions at stake. Many people including myself like to see every event and stream at the drop of the event, but it's a nice start with rich functionality eventually will win out with the hope of expanding more coverage online as the years go by.

Two Step Forward, One Step Back For NBC Olympics

But is NBC certain it'll stop the piracy and P2Ping of footage, not to mention fan-camcorded videos? I do think it's time to eliminate the antiquated notion of online features damage TV ratings, hopefully NBC will realize this come the next Olympics in Vancouver. CBS saw a boon with this past March Madness, particularly with people who would like to see them on TV can't because they're away from the set.

Pirates and P2P Sites Could Ultimately Win

Rulon Gardner and Wolf Wigo were recently named to NBC's Beijing Olympic broadcasting team as analysts in wrestling and water polo, respectively. NBC will also air the 2008 US Olympic Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony presented by Allstate on August 3 that was actually recorded on June 19 during an award ceremony, as if we Americans can't get ourselves into the Olympic frenzy even further.

Eurosport Announces Its 2008 Olympic Plans

I was expecting more out of Europsort in terms of hours, but it doesn't want to interfere with national coverages that, with several nations in Europe to be even more than what Eurosport will carry even online and cell, too much. Still, it's comparable and complimentary to many. It all starts with the preliminary soccer games on August 6.

SuperSport is going to air Olympic programming in the lead up to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games to South Africans and the rest of Africa like "Olympic Centennial Gold", "The First 100 Years", "Great Women Of The Olympics", "Countdown To Beijing", and "Beijing Dream". Why isn't NBC showing them itself?

Ceska Televize, if read right, plans to have 8 live (and possibly on-demand too) Internet streams of the Beijing 2008 Olympics through CT2 and CT4 SPORT with video highlights, news, blogs, reports, etc. Both CT2 and CT4 SPORT will air the Olympics concurrently on TV in the Czech Republic.

SuperSport is going to air Olympic programming in the lead up to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games to South Africans and the rest of Africa like "Olympic Centennial Gold", "The First 100 Years", "Great Women Of The Olympics", "Countdown To Beijing", and "Beijing Dream". Why isn't NBC showing them itself?

Well, I do remember ESPN Classic having such a series in the summer of 2004. It was called something like "The Road to Athens". It featured highlights of past Games, including the Ceremonies. It didn’t seem to be produced by ESPN, but by the IOC themselves, as the narrator sounded just like the one in videos in the IOC’s website (e.g. Bob Beamon at Mexico 68’).