2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

With the 2007 world cup about to end i though It was time to start a new thread for the next World Cup in 2011. I this is mainly because it seems Aucklands Great Stadium Debate has fleared its ugly head again.

Banks throws 2011 Cup plans into turmoil

About this time last year that Eden Park unveiled its plans to upgrade Eden Park which would has cost around $300million. Upon hearing this, the Government proposed that if the price tag was going to this high to upgrade an 100 year old stadium, a stadium dogged with transformational access and viewing problems, then why not go all out and build a brand new stadium in a new location for a price of around $500million on the waterfront. This debate nearly spilt the country in two. On one hand you had the Government and the Auckland City mayor supporting the Waterfront Stadium and on the other side you at the Regional council of Auckland strongly against it. A compromise was made that they would completely rebuild Eden Park on this current site costing $300million.

The government’s main drive was that if this was going to a National Stadium then why not builds a proper new national stadium. As far as I am aware they were whiling to contribute to this because it was a national asset. However since the City and Regional Councils decided on the Eden Park option, the government still classed it as a Regional stadium for Auckland (and rightfully so) and would not contribute as much. In result of this they scaled back the plans to have one new stand and temporary seating and thus we had to content with having an embarrassing “national” stadium come the 2011 world cup.

Now, Auckland has just Elected (and I have no idea why) the John Banks as Mayor. He was previously Mayor up until 2003 but not during the 2011 bid and Stadium saga. He has turned around said that Auckland is not going to pay for the Eden Park upgrade but is calling on the Government and IRB to cough up for it. This just proves my theory that Auckland is the most dysfunction city in the world. They would be stripped of hosting the final as far as I’m concerned. They have no clue in how to organize an even. They had a change where the Government was whiling to come to the table and play but they voted it down!

If my taxes are going to pay for a Stadium in Auckland then I want them to go to a National Stadium they will bring even that will benefit all of New Zealand. Not some dinky Eden Park with extra seats and streamers stuck to it. Our government has the money, they are sitting on billions and billion in surplus.

If Auckland didn’t screw up in its decision last year we maybe be half to having a new stadium

:angry:

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a good look, less than four years out from the 2011 WC.

Do you think the NZRU would have the guts to strip Auckland of hosting any matches if they can't get their act together?

No I don’t think they do have the guts. They are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Auckland is the only metropolitan area in NZ that could sustain a stadium of that size. As far as I’m concerned Auckland doesn’t deserve the final nor the opening match.

If this debate was taking place in either Wellington or Christchurch we wouldn’t have this problem. It all comes back to the way the city is governed. When you have the City council and the Regional council sing a different tune no progress can go ahead.

Helen should have just giving them a finger and built the stadium in the first place.

Simple - give Auckland a scare by moving the final and opening games to Sydney. Lets get that co-hosting spirit back up and running after the 2003 fiasco!! :) I am sure if the jewel in the crown was given to the dreaded Australians a new stadium would be built pretty damn fast!

Mate, give the final to Sydney and Auckland wouldn't Bat an eyelid...however give it to Christchurch and all hell would brake loose :rolleyes:

Mate, give the final to Sydney and Auckland wouldn't Bat an eyelid...however give it to Christchurch and all hell would brake loose :rolleyes:

TOOOOO TRUE! <_<

Look I'm not a great supporter of John Banks....But he does have a point! For a "Labour" government, it is VERY parsimonious with money.

Eden Park should be taken over by the Government and I have no problems with taxpayers paying for the rebuild! And they should also help with AMI Lancaster Park finish off it's oval. At the moment - Nelson, Christchurch and Dunedin (New Carisbrooke) could end up being the only South Island hosts, while Wellington, Palmerston, New Plymouth, Napier, Tauranga, Rotorua, Hamilton and Whangarei will pick up the rest of the North Island! Some of these venues could easily be dropped.

I seriously doubt if teams would want to travel to Invercargill, Greymouth, Westport, Oamaru, Timaru, Gisbourne etc...Unlike 1987 (which I was alive for) when it was all new territory. Teams these days deserve the best on offer!

:angry: Ohhhh I'm just Soooooooooooooooooo looking foward to the political wrangling and moaning from everybody right up to the opening ceremony. NOT....

But New Zealand must endure, as we are a democracy!!! :angry:

:angry: Ohhhh I'm just Soooooooooooooooooo looking foward to the political wrangling and moaning from everybody right up to the opening ceremony. NOT....

But New Zealand must endure, as we are a democracy!!! :angry:

yea i reckon... John Banks will do his best to disrupt things

yea i reckon... John Banks will do his best to disrupt things

:huh: Actually I believe he's right in demanding the government pay for Eden Park! The 2011RWC IS their baby! Rememeber they (government) totally botched Stadium NZ, they should've started it two years before!

The most noise will come from Wellington! And then the provincial centers that will enevitably miss out on a game or two. As I said earlier, one hit wonders may have worked in 1987 (and 1991 for that matter) but as in France, it's more managable to focus on ten good grounds.

• 4 weeks later...

More concerns about preparations:

WELLINGTON, Nov 13 Reuters - The head of New Zealand's largest building firm has warned organisers of the 2011 Rugby World Cup that decisions on rebuilding stadia and transport links need to be made shortly or they will not be completed in time.

Feltcher Building's chief executive Jonathan Ling also told the media after the company's annual shareholder meeting in Auckland that the $NZ190 million ($A161m) redevelopment of Eden Park, which will host the final, and transport links in the city was of particular concern.

``We're getting to a point that unless some of these key projects are started soon they physically won't get finished in time for the World Cup,'' Ling was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Press Association.

``Unless a decision is made shortly then no construction company will want it because it won't be able to be finished in time.''

New Zealand was awarded the hosting rights for the event in 2005 with a commitment to upgrade Eden Park, which held the first World Cup final in 1987, to an International Rugby Board-mandated minimum capacity of 60,000 at a cost of about $NZ325 million ($A276.49m).

However, the government said its preferred option would be to build a new NZ$500 million stadium on Auckland's waterfront to take advantage of the central city's rail and bus links and hotel accommodation.

Local government leaders rejected that option and scaled back plans to a $NZ190 million ($A161m) upgrade of Eden Park.

:huh: Actually I believe he's right in demanding the government pay for Eden Park! The 2011RWC IS their baby! Rememeber they (government) totally botched Stadium NZ, they should've started it two years before!

What!!!!!!!!!! The government botched Stadium NZ? Are you serious. The government was the driving force behind Stadium NZ. If you could remember correctly the only reason the Stadium NZ idea was floted is becasue it eneded up that the upgrade of Eden Park was going to cost +$300m and the government said well if we are going to envest that much why not build a National Stadium, funding in most port from the central government. If they would have been told this in the first place, if Eden Park and Auckland had of got there act together and came up with a plan for Eden earlier or even during the bidding process we would have gone through all this a year earlier than we did last year. It was Auckland the sunk Stadium NZ, but i mean come on it's Auckland, we couldn't have expected more.

The most noise will come from Wellington! And then the provincial centers that will enevitably miss out on a game or two. As I said earlier, one hit wonders may have worked in 1987 (and 1991 for that matter) but as in France, it's more managable to focus on ten good grounds.

Ok i have no diea what your trying to say there but Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin should at lest get 1/4 final matches.

WELLINGTON, Nov 13 Reuters - The head of New Zealand's largest building firm has warned organisers of the 2011 Rugby World Cup that decisions on rebuilding stadia and transport links need to be made shortly or they will not be completed in time.

Feltcher Building's chief executive Jonathan Ling also told the media after the company's annual shareholder meeting in Auckland that the $NZ190 million ($A161m) redevelopment of Eden Park, which will host the final, and transport links in the city was of particular concern.

``We're getting to a point that unless some of these key projects are started soon they physically won't get finished in time for the World Cup,'' Ling was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Press Association.

``Unless a decision is made shortly then no construction company will want it because it won't be able to be finished in time.''

New Zealand was awarded the hosting rights for the event in 2005 with a commitment to upgrade Eden Park, which held the first World Cup final in 1987, to an International Rugby Board-mandated minimum capacity of 60,000 at a cost of about $NZ325 million ($A276.49m).

However, the government said its preferred option would be to build a new NZ$500 million stadium on Auckland's waterfront to take advantage of the central city's rail and bus links and hotel accommodation.

Local government leaders rejected that option and scaled back plans to a $NZ190 million ($A161m) upgrade of Eden Park.

Why bother, Auckland has already screwed it up. $190m? Thats pathetic, they had the chance to have a new stadium funding by the government.

How can one city be so backwards?

:angry: The Government backed Auckland into a corner!!!! The decision for the waterfront stadium was just too late! Auckland asked years before about building Stadium New Zealand, as far back as first mooting it in 2004...the government ( or should I say Sports minister Trevor Icantkeepmyfiststomyself Mallard) baulked at the cost then. Now we are left with an UGLY makeover, yes costing the same, a second choice option that will leave NO legacy for Auckland (and New Zealand), while the alternative still lays unfifilled over the habour out at Albany.

Stuff it! the Government can pay for it!

As for venues...This is not 1987, there will be painfull cuts to who gets what. The minor provinces will suffer as the professional era teams would preferr to stay in top class accomodation and venues.

Small venues like Oamaru, Gisborne, Wanganui, Ashburton, Greymouth, hosts of games in 1987, don't stand a chance.

:angry: The Government backed Auckland into a corner!!!! The decision for the waterfront stadium was just too late! Auckland asked years before about building Stadium New Zealand, as far back as first mooting it in 2004...the government ( or should I say Sports minister Trevor Icantkeepmyfiststomyself Mallard) baulked at the cost then. Now we are left with an UGLY makeover, yes costing the same, a second choice option that will leave NO legacy for Auckland (and New Zealand), while the alternative still lays unfifilled over the habour out at Albany.

Yes, we are stuck with the eden park re-vamp because AUCKLAND didn’t want Stadium NZ. The government wanted it, Auckland didn’t. The government was willing to finance it, the government was it’s main backer with Dick Hubbard and it’s the government’s fault the regional council mooted it? The Waterfront Stadium didn’t happen because the regional council didn’t want it to happen, it was far up the Ports of Auckland arse to be man enough to say anything. Every other major marine city in the world are moving the port and developing the waterfront yet Auckland’s is set to sit stagnating for at lest 20 more years.

Why should my money go towards upgrading a REGIONAL stadium because that all Eden Park will be in its present state. It’s not a national stadium, its not a national issue as far as I’m concerned Auckland need so learn from it’s mistakes.

When the world tunes into watch the opening match of the 2011 world cup, what they are going to see is the most ridiculously pathetic attempt at a world class stadium they have seen. It’s going to be embarrassing for Auckland and New Zealand. Maybe we will finally learn we can’t let Auckland continue to be government buy the ridiculous local government set up it is currently under.

Give the opening match to Wellington and the final to Christchurch, Dorkland deserve sweet F A

Well, they do sometimes call Sydney (particularly Bondi) West Auckland _ we'll be more than happy to take the final off your hands if you can't manage it.

;)

I told you rotel, if you really want to stick it to Auckland give the final Christchurch. The trans-tasman rivalry is nothing compeered to the tension you get between Auckland and the South Island.

We can handle it, Auckland can't.

:angry:We ALL know Christchurch could host the Opening and the Final :angry:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! The 2011 Cup bid was sold on the premise that Auckland would be the central venue...That was the carrot to the whole bid! The Government knew that Auckland wouldn't get it together, hence the reason of proposing Stadium NZ, The Government should've seized it and stomped down on it - but they didn't...Hubbard was left dithering and time ran out - Yuk! Eden Park - what an embarresment...Especially when Albany could've been used.

I don't know what or how the IRB would react if the finals were moved to Christchurch now. Even discussing it would start to make them jitter. They would put England on standby in an instant!

Yes it's a yukky situation that the NZRU has put it's self into... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived