Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevie

2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

Great work Dunedin... Im glad this decision went through. It will be great for the city

Oh awesome!

When you take Eden Park out of the equation it seems we will have atlest a couple of desent looking stadia come 2011: Ami Stadium, New Carrisbrook, Westpac Stadium, North Harbour etc.

Oh awesome!

When you take Eden Park out of the equation it seems we will have atlest a couple of desent looking stadia come 2011: Ami Stadium, New Carrisbrook, Westpac Stadium, North Harbour etc.

Yes I agree!

:mellow: Naa not really, probibly line up one of the lesser quarter finalist pairs, also got to remember that TV coverage pretty much pays for it, and the fact that there won't be hords of travellers "pouring accross the channel" so to speak.

I hope that turns out to be right. However, I would be concerned that if how the draw is expected to pan out does not follow that form and you end up with, say, Australia against England in a quarter-final, the ticket touts would have a field day. It does sound a bit like the kind of venue that we see at many a European football championship, which always creates problems for the teams with the biggest followings, but I would have thought that 30,000 for a pool game would be fair enough, but too small for the knockout stages.

I hope that turns out to be right. However, I would be concerned that if how the draw is expected to pan out does not follow that form and you end up with, say, Australia against England in a quarter-final, the ticket touts would have a field day. It does sound a bit like the kind of venue that we see at many a European football championship, which always creates problems for the teams with the biggest followings, but I would have thought that 30,000 for a pool game would be fair enough, but too small for the knockout stages.

Well I imagine the knock out stages will be allocated something like:

QF1: Christchurch (45,000)

QF2: Wellington (38,000)

QF3: Auckland (60,000)

QF4: Dunedin/Hamilton (30,000/35,000)

SF1: Auckland (60,000)

SF2: Auckland (60,000)

F: Auckland (60,000)

Well I imagine the knock out stages will be allocated something like:

QF1: Christchurch (45,000)

QF2: Wellington (38,000)

QF3: Auckland (60,000)

QF4: Dunedin/Hamilton (30,000/35,000)

SF1: Auckland (60,000)

SF2: Auckland (60,000)

F: Auckland (60,000)

jeez..thats seriously lower than France 2007.

bring our the scaffolding. if its good enough for eden park its good enough for other venues

jeez..thats seriously lower than France 2007.

Well no duh mate, I mean lets get real here:

France: Mainland European country of 50 million, with about 300 million people living within about a 2/3/4 hour flight/train ride away.

New Zealand: Geographically isolated island country of just over 4 million.

I don't think big ass stadia was ever apart of NZ's plan...

I don't think big ass stadia are necessary for NZ but ticket sales should be.

They should try to get each QF to 45,000.

The suggestion of scaffolding is so that a larger capacity can be achieved without high costs or oversized stadia/white elephants.

With the low Super 14 attendances what else are some of these stadia used for besides Eden park of course.

I don't think big ass stadia are necessary for NZ but ticket sales should be.

The suggestion of scaffolding is so that a larger capacity can be achieved without high costs or oversized stadia/white elephants.

With the low Super 14 attendances what else are some of these stadia used for besides Eden park of course.

Well Christchurch hosts regular cricket matches and international rugby on top of Super 14s.

Wellington's Westpac Stadium is used for cricket, rugby and football; it was host to the Wellington Pheonix/LA Galaxy (David Beckham) game and hosts all Pheonix home games with average crowds around 10,000.

Dunedin hosts cricket also, but im not sure this new Carisbrook stadium will be suitable. NZ members?

I think that would be a sensible compromise. I don't think anybody would expect New Zealand to build massive new venues it doesn't need. But a 38,000 seater stadium in Wellington, which has major potential to be hosting a World Cup quarter-final, does seem a bit small to me.

I think that would be a sensible compromise. I don't think anybody would expect New Zealand to build massive new venues it doesn't need. But a 38,000 seater stadium in Wellington, which has major potential to be hosting a World Cup quarter-final, does seem a bit small to me.

Well the fact is that NZ was awarded the right to host with the IRB knowing full well that these are the sizes of stadiums it have on offer. In an ideal world, it would be great if NZ would have enough 40,000+ stadiums around the country for the 4 Q4 finals but we don't Of course temp seating is an option for some venues but not all, Example: Wellington. Westpac Stadium isn't exactly designed to have temp seating tacked onto it. If all the QFs were to be held in 40,000+ stadia then it would mean limiting them to Auckland & Christchurch. People are upset enough that from the SFs onwards it going to be an all Auckland affair.

I think the majority of NZder are well aware that it's not likely that there will be much profit, if any made from the the ticket sales the world cup and the IRB knows that as well. I mean NZ offers the world cup something that would be hard to recreate in other parts of the world, a total 100% rugby atmosphare and culture. I thinks that was NZ's attraction for the IRB, not the idea that we could make them the most money, becasue we can't.

Dunedin hosts cricket also, but im not sure this new Carisbrook stadium will be suitable. NZ members?

:mellow: No the New Carisbrooke stadium is rectangle only as the University Oval is now International Test standard.

NZ cricket have already moved their games (both domestic One Day and Test) to what is a rather delightful ground. It will be given a more secure fencing and a larger seated area in due time. Lights for Day/Nighters and Twenty/20 are in the resource consent process now. "Old" Carisbrooke's lighting towers to be moved there.

At the moment Queenstown handles Otago daylight OneDay Internationals for now.

Got to remember that it wont be untill July this year when final approval is given after funding sources are secure. Then it will be mid 2009 when the site is cleared. Timed to open for the SuperXVs 2011. Old Carisbrooke is to close at the end of the 2010 NPC season - so far.

No the New Carisbrooke stadium is rectangle only as the University Oval is now International Test standard.

Have the upgrades been completed?

Have the upgrades been completed?

:) To International Test standard yes, (which means everything else can be played as well) although the test match with Bangladesh was played with slightly smaller boundry oval. Low rise grass terraces and open seated areas (as is Hamilton) will complement the covered stand.

Also interprovinical One Day and Twenty/20 games are played as well.

Lights are all that's missing at the moment, waiting for the towers from old Carisbrooke to be installed.

I hope Dunedin goes through to build this fine Rugby facility. Like Hamilton, it will have two excellent sports venues instead of a Rugby ground in the middle of a cricket ground such as Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland. <_< The latter (grotty Eden Park) barely passes as a cricket venue anyway :angry: .

38,000 i'd think is quite large really. We must try not to compare New Zealand to the same scale as Australia and France. For what i, the IRB and any other sensible person would/was expecting, a 38,000 good quality venue like Westpac is more than satisfactory for a QF and maybe beyond.

During the current series with England, I did hear several of the BBC commentators saying how pleased they were that the Tests hadn't gone to the rugby grounds. The ground in Napier in particular looks a beautiful spot.

38,000 i'd think is quite large really. We must try not to compare New Zealand to the same scale as Australia and France. For what i, the IRB and any other sensible person would/was expecting, a 38,000 good quality venue like Westpac is more than satisfactory for a QF and maybe beyond.

I'm not trying to compare apples with oranges here. I'm not expecting New Zealand to build massive great venues they don't need. My concern is that the usual difficulties in ensuring as many tickets as possible end up in the hands of ordinary rugby fans will be exacerbated by putting major games, particularly in the later stages, in grounds which aren't big enough.

I'm not trying to compare apples with oranges here. I'm not expecting New Zealand to build massive great venues they don't need. My concern is that the usual difficulties in ensuring as many tickets as possible end up in the hands of ordinary rugby fans will be exacerbated by putting major games, particularly in the later stages, in grounds which aren't big enough.

:( Unfortunatly this will have to be the case but thanks to high quality temporary seating (yes Mo Rush) it wont be so bad. Just remember Sydney's Olympic stadium's end stands were also temporary structures.

I can remember evryone moaning before the 1990 CWGs that there wasn't enough seats (35k) at Mt Smart for the Opening and Closing ceremonies, yet for the duration the stadium was barely half full.

Now I think that is comparing apples with oranges. We've heard so much about how a World Cup in New Zealand would be played in a unique atmosphere. Well that atmosphere is something that rugby fans from all over the world will want to share in but, with smaller than ideal playing arenas, my fear is that the ticket touts in particular will have a field day.

As I've said, building massive venues which aren't needed isn't the right way to go about things. 60,000 for the semis and final seems fair enough to me. 45,000 would be fair enough for a quarter-final. But if we start playing quarter-finals, and major games in the pool stage for that matter, in venues of little more than 30,000 capacity, then I think we will have problems.

Now I think that is comparing apples with oranges. We've heard so much about how a World Cup in New Zealand would be played in a unique atmosphere. Well that atmosphere is something that rugby fans from all over the world will want to share in but, with smaller than ideal playing arenas, my fear is that the ticket touts in particular will have a field day.

As I've said, building massive venues which aren't needed isn't the right way to go about things. 60,000 for the semis and final seems fair enough to me. 45,000 would be fair enough for a quarter-final. But if we start playing quarter-finals, and major games in the pool stage for that matter, in venues of little more than 30,000 capacity, then I think we will have problems.

It’s about compromise. Yeah ok, i see where your coming from but we followed your plan on keep the 1/4 finals onwards in 45,000 plus venues then well that limits the knock out stages to stadiums in Auckland and Christchurch only. To snub Wellington wouldn't go down well. Of course, as a Wellingtonian im bias is clear, but in terms of events planing and the stadium itself: Wellington is best NZ has. Wellington HAS to be afforded atlest a 1/4 final as well as some major pool matches.

If your worried about people travaling in from overseas getting tickets well we can look at the 2005 Lions Tour. I mean at times it almost seemed there where just as many poms in the stands as kiwis. it wasn't an issue.

If your worried about people travaling in from overseas getting tickets well we can look at the 2005 Lions Tour. I mean at times it almost seemed there where just as many poms in the stands as kiwis. it wasn't an issue.

<_< Teehee, yeah...As said further back, NZ is isolated, the nearist western economic powerhouse is Australia, a four hour flight away.

As for Wellington, well the idea of limiting the stadium to 35k has come back to haunt it. It should've been built for 45k.

Maybe I'm too worried about it, but I've just seen too many events where too many tickets have ended up in the hands of too many corporate hangers-on and not enough ordinary fans have been able to watch the games in the flesh. The fans have to be first.

Maybe I'm too worried about it, but I've just seen too many events where too many tickets have ended up in the hands of too many corporate hangers-on and not enough ordinary fans have been able to watch the games in the flesh. The fans have to be first.

:( Unfortunatly that's the commercial realities of today arwebb. I work in management for a major oil company and we are forever getting tickets for all kinds of events, corporate seating etc...Mainly from service providers and fellow corporate juggernauts. This is where the money to pay for these events come from.

There is no such thing as cheap seats anymore, the stadium is pretty much subsidised by all those up on the high terraces being catered for.

I understand the need for corporate hospitality and how important it can be. My gripe is that there needs to be a balance more in favour of the ordinary supporter than there often is. This isn't a rugby gripe per se, but a general point.

Ticket prices need to be reasonable. If they're too expensive, then we risk pricing the lifeblood out of sport. Some governing bodies are coming round to this, but more work still needs to be done in my view.

:) We're Away!

Eden Park's redevelopment will begin immediatly after the Bledisloe Cup match in August with the immediate demolition of the old south stand.

With Christchurch's AMI Lancaster Stadium in the middle of it's rebuild, only Dunedin is all thats remaining to get all five main venues up to scratch. Hamilton and Wellington all but ready.