2011 Irb Rugby World Cup

stevie

Our world cup is all about developing grass roots rugby!!!

New Zealand is going to go mad come 2011!!! Cant wait...

Although I wonder why Tauranga missed out? Any ideas

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our world cup is all about developing grass roots rugby!!!

New Zealand is going to go mad come 2011!!! Cant wait...

Although I wonder why Tauranga missed out? Any ideas

Doesn't Bayview Park in Tauranga have an ugly arse speed way track around the field? that could be why.

No, you're just insecure and hence the outbursts...

Nah, alex ain't insecure. we can all get abit rarked up when someone makes snide sardonic comments about your country. No matter how much truth there is to it, it's annoying. I mean I don't go over to the South African board @ skyscrapercity and post **** about South Africa's mass poverty, horrid urban crime rate, massive HIV infection rate etc. becasue it's just going to piss people off and I'm sure you Yarpies are already well aware of South Africas problems. (Just like how we know alot of our stadia are crap.)

Anyway, getting way of topic...

stevie - no offense, but New Zealand is a small country of over 4.5 million that is very spread out, I life in an area about the size of New Zealand with 12 million people and I couldn't imagine some of our 100-150000 people cities hosting something as big as the world cup. So its not an insult to say that some stadiums/cities are podunk/village/whatever word you want to call them.

Though I am sure being at a game in New Zealand will be amazing and if Canada qualifies I would like to go.

stevie - no offense, but New Zealand is a small country of over 4.5 million that is very spread out, I life in an area about the size of New Zealand with 12 million people and I couldn't imagine some of our 100-150000 people cities hosting something as big as the world cup. So its not an insult to say that some stadiums/cities are podunk/village/whatever word you want to call them.

Though I am sure being at a game in New Zealand will be amazing and if Canada qualifies I would like to go.

faster if you read back over the last couple of post I think you will see that I will be the first person to admit that NZ's stadium are not at the quailty of those seen in much larger cities/countries. I am under no illusion as to NZ's short comings, I grew up in a city of only 140,000 and am now living in Tokyo so I have a very good idea as to the scale as to what NZ is attemping to pull off. NZders are very worldly people and we are well aware to the fact we are a small south pacific nation and thats why I believe the NZ2011 organizers are focusing more on quality than quantity.

You'd swear I was against NZ hosting, when in fact I support it hosting 2011. Esp when the benefits of Japan hosting are not exactly guaranteed.

8-10 venues should have been selected. There are some good venues from Wellington to Auckland, including North Harbour, even Waikato stadium is quite nice.

But when you're trying to spread matches to each little town and city, you end up with Invercargill, which is not in this day and age suitable for hosting the world's third/fourth largest sporting event. At this stage, work has not started on the Dunedin stadium and we don't know whether Rugby park will receive any funding for an upgrade.

The year is 2011, and NZ has presented elements of a venue plan suitable for the 80's. I assume this is the last time a few village venues will get the nod.

faster if you read back over the last couple of post I think you will see that I will be the first person to admit that NZ's stadium are not at the quailty of those seen in much larger cities/countries. I am under no illusion as to NZ's short comings, I grew up in a city of only 140,000 and am now living in Tokyo so I have a very good idea as to the scale as to what NZ is attemping to pull off. NZders are very worldly people and we are well aware to the fact we are a small south pacific nation and thats why I believe the NZ2011 organizers are focusing more on quality than quantity.

Well said Stevie, and anyway, what other country of it's population size (and isolation) and wealth can pull off a major international sports event on a regular basis, and still manage its self as a first world developed nation? With a sense of unity?

Yea I agree with you Mo. I think the plan was to attract people to NZ's tourist bases with giving matches to Rotorua, Napier and Invercargill with it being the largest urban area to the Milford Sounds and SOuthern Lakes District. Plus the South Island's sense of equal intitlement to the North Island prolly had something to do with it too.

Yea I agree with you Mo. I think the plan was to attract people to NZ's tourist bases with giving matches to Rotorua, Napier and Invercargill with it being the largest urban area to the Milford Sounds and SOuthern Lakes District. Plus the South Island's sense of equal intitlement to the North Island prolly had something to do with it too.

I thought that Lights would have been a major. Queenstown simply doesn't have any, let alone a decent stadium. I think that Baypark in Tauranga is still a stock car stadium with a rugby ground plonked down in the middle of it. However isn't Palmerston Norths'?

If I do attend NZ 2011, which I'm hoping I can, depending on the cost of my other travels, I'll prob opt for a homestay option if there are good offers available.

If I do attend NZ 2011, which I'm hoping I can, depending on the cost of my other travels, I'll prob opt for a homestay option if there are good offers available.

If you are in wellington at any time you could say at my place

• 3 months later...
Canada qualified today beating the USA 53-24 on aggregate. So we will play New Zealand, France, Tonga and an Asian qualifier which is most likely Japan.

Considering how the All Blacks are playing at the moment, I'd be more scared of play France. :lol:

Canada qualified today beating the USA 53-24 on aggregate. So we will play New Zealand, France, Tonga and an Asian qualifier which is most likely Japan.

Welcome !!! What a nice group...

If Canada plays at the best of their ability the best we can hope for is wins against Japan and Tonga and than respectable scores against New Zealand and France. If we had Scotland or Wales I would rate that we could beat them, we have in the past decade and seem to play the middle teams well.

Not much, its on the 3rd sports network in the country.

The USA plays Uruguay and whomever wins goes as Americas 2 and than the loser goes for the world cup qualifying final tournament.

Sounds like both have a good chance of still qualifying then. There haven't been different teams in the cup for years - occasionally one of the small teams drops out and a new one comes in (Namibia, Portugal, Uruguay, Georgia etc..)

• 8 months later...

March 21 (Reuters) - Teams qualified for the 2011 World Cup

in New Zealand after Georgia beat Russia 36-8 in the European

Nations Cup in Trabzon, Turkey on Saturday.

Pool A

New Zealand

France

Tonga

Canada

Asian winner

Pool B

England

Argentina

Scotland

Georgia

playoff winner

Pool C

Australia

Ireland

Italy

USA

Russia

Pool D

South Africa

Wales

Fidji

Samoa

Namibia

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKSGE62K00620100321

A few little tiny updates for RWC2011

* A new *rock anthem* song will be revealed on Tuesday as the official theme of NZ2011. Apparantly it isnt an original, and will be performed by a Kiwi band. They're being tight lipped on who though. Apparantly they wanted something abit catchier than the traditional *World in Union*, which is a shame imo. I can't say I was overly inspired by the likes of John Farnham's We Will Rock you from 2003, or any of the pieces of crud to come from the United Colours of Sound.

* The official *look* of the NZ2011 tournament has been released. It is based on the Mangopare (hammerhead shark) and Koru (fern)

The Mangopare is considered by Maori as the greatest of sharks because of its tenacious nature; a quality needed in the heat of battle. It symbolises strength, determination, strategy and team play. The Mangopare forms the central design element with the interlocking hammerhead shapes representing unity and engagement. In the design, the Mangopare is not just about coming head to head but also about the coming together of players and teams.

The Koru shapes unfurl around the Mangopare to become stylised fern fronds. As the Koru reaches towards the light it is striving for perfection encouraging new and positive beginnings. The Koru is central to Maori symbolism with its spiral form representing the cycle of life, family and creation.

brandingelement_7325_SQ_MEDIUM.jpg

This is coupled with the special NZ2011 wordmark

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/mm/Photo/Tournament/0/RWC_NZ_Script_Linear_Pos_6480_SQ_MEDIUM.JPGp/img]

* Apparantly the ceremonies brief is to be finalised later on this year before expressions of interest are put out, and tenders are released.

Fingers crossed for Mike Mizrahi.

I really like, no, Love, the look and the wordmark with it. The colours are great (and ones I associate with NZ). And the look really plays to NZ's Polynesian and Pacific allure (much as Vancouver made the most of its native styles).

Love it, love it, love it!

Archived