Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

3E6FA7995C666A48ACBDD4A44417E383.jpg

4C9A42C7DF951997E956F6825B44951F.jpg

C2706ABE1F3FC6971EA0BD918E4026D5.jpg

B0BBD488BC41B50903A310CD4FC7BA22.jpg

Everyone! the cauldron is finally revealed! It's a "big bird" lying on the roof top of the bird nest, with head looking inside the stadium. And the flame will be lighted near the mouth...

we will definitely see more as the installation project is going on~

the tent structure is for protection and also to keep it from prying eyes!

don't think it will be a dragon or a pheonix - if you look carefully there is a hinge on the bottom of the cauldron structure - so i reckon the cauldron structure could flip up from the rim of the roof and be lit and then will be static there for the duration of the games?. that way it will be seen from the whole park?

just an idea - a pheonix/dragon just sounds too cliched!

the tent structure is for protection and also to keep it from prying eyes!

don't think it will be a dragon or a pheonix - if you look carefully there is a hinge on the bottom of the cauldron structure - so i reckon the cauldron structure could flip up from the rim of the roof and be lit and then will be static there for the duration of the games?. that way it will be seen from the whole park?

just an idea - a pheonix/dragon just sounds too cliched!

But that flip-up only works if the cauldron sits directly at the rim of the roof -- because otherwise, that "flap" (i.e. that think looking like a curved roof at the end of the cauldron) would crash into the roof.

It might also be that it's not a hinge, but simply a support.

That grey kind of thing is only to cover what they are building inside I think. Because what the cauldron will be have to be a secret.

I earlier said it could be a dragon. But I don't think they are building a dragon, it has the forms and is inspired by a dragon (or Chinese somethig phoenix.. whatever you wish).

Or:

A. It's an aircraft hangar and some flying mechanism will fly in or fly away with the flame... or

B. It will be the biggest cannon of ALL TIME. At the right moment, China will announce "We are #1!" and threaten to hold the IOC and all the world's best athletes hostage of all the other countries that have ganged up on it if they do NOT turn over their gold reserves to China!! Which is why they want Bush, the European leaders, the Pope and the Dalai Lama all there for Opening!

It's all ONE BIG ploy to Rule the World in one fell swoop!!

OK, seriously now. I think this is the inspiraton behind the concept: http://www.harrys-stuff.com/china-forbidden-city/guilin.php They're called 'roof guardians.'

However, it seems like that is such a massive contraption up there for only a small fixture of Ceremonies. A little or medium-sized flame is all that's needed. It looks like this is going to be some hyper-bizarre, gargantuan scenario TOTALLY out of proportion to the rest of the Ceremony. It's going to be too, too over-the-top I think. That's just an early conjecture. (And of course, the IOC approved it!!)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Or:

A. It's an aircraft hangar and some flying mechanism will fly in or fly away with the flame... or

B. It will be the biggest cannon of ALL TIME. At the right moment, China will announce "We are #1!" and threaten to hold the IOC and all the world's best athletes hostage of all the other countries that have ganged up on it if they do NOT turn over their gold reserves to China!! Which is why they want Bush, the European leaders, the Pope and the Dalai Lama all there for Opening!

It's all ONE BIG ploy to Rule the World in one fell swoop!!

OK, seriously now. I think this is the inspiraton behind the concept: http://www.harrys-stuff.com/china-forbidden-city/guilin.php They're called 'roof guardians.'

However, it seems like that is such a massive contraption up there for only a small fixture of Ceremonies. A little or medium-sized flame is all that's needed. It looks like this is going to be some hyper-bizarre, gargantuan scenario TOTALLY out of proportion to the rest of the Ceremony. It's going to be too, too over-the-top I think. That's just an early conjecture. (And of course, the IOC approved it!!)

nah............I don't think so. It's still the Phonix concept goes the final option.

here's the evidence

U397P6T12D3640047F44DT20080504150953.jpg

10198183_094072.jpg

The style of the deco may goes the same type as this

here's the evidence

U397P6T12D3640047F44DT20080504150953.jpg

10198183_094072.jpg

The style of the deco may goes the same type as this

How do you know?

That "phoenix" thing in the park is so upright. Why is the contraption they're building on the roof flat and horizontal? <_<

Anyway, if it's like that thing in your photos, it is TRES, TRES UGLY!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

My theory -

The roll of green stuff will be spread across the roof opening during the final rehearsals of the ceremony. It simply looks like a big roll of shade cover (what us Aussie's call the mesh you staple to wooden frames etc to keep bugs out or for privacy) and that semi circle thing is probably just part of an installation for the ceremonies.

I can't see the Chinese just letting the cat out of the bag so early on. It still - what - 7 weeks until the Opening Ceremony? There is no way they would be so sloppy now with the whole world watching to reveal the cauldron/lighting set up.

I also know there are vast underground access areas under the stadium - so why would they move top secret stuff through the roof opening when they can bring it underground in smaller pieces, assemble it inside and keep it secret? This is China's moment to absolutely blow away the world - we will see very few spoilers before the big night (especially - ahem - afetr GamesBids leaked the logo!).

Have you also noticed very few 'inner bowl' shots have turned up online over the past few weeks? None really since the Good Luck Beijing athletics event. I personally thibk they are red herrings and we wont see anything of any real substance until the night of the Games or after any official rehearsals in the Birds Nest.

How do you know?

That "phoenix" thing in the park is so upright. Why is the contraption they're building on the roof flat and horizontal? <_<

Anyway, if it's like that thing in your photos, it is TRES, TRES UGLY!!

But that's what it exactly look like as the visual pattern shows. What's the point they'll have to get rid of this entire visual project just to set up another one? That's just waste of time and not worthy to do it again at this stage.

I don't know, but at least they'll have to keep the whole transformation ''stable'' cos the mojority already been registered.

But that's what it exactly look like as the visual pattern shows. What's the point they'll have to get rid of this entire visual project just to set up another one? That's just waste of time and not worthy to do it again at this stage.

I don't know, but at least they'll have to keep the whole transformation ''stable'' cos the mojority already been registered.

What r u talking about. MJ? :blink: How can the huge upright thing be the same thing, or similar, to what's lying and as you can see, with some volume, on the stadium roof?

Your reply makes about as much sense as the White Hare going down the hole.

What r u talking about. MJ? :blink: How can the huge upright thing be the same thing, or similar, to what's lying and as you can see, with some volume, on the stadium roof?

Your reply makes about as much sense as the White Hare going down the hole.

I am talking about the entire visual design packetage. Or the foundamental concept, if you do know the background around this, it's all created by a Chinese lead artist Han MEI LING. Including the mascots design. Of course I didn't mean the exact copied look compares this sculture with the final creation for the Birdnest. However, it might still goes the same type.

Not like the Kung Fu Panda, just transforming the random Chinese elements as in favour of the people who just roughly illustrating Chinese art. I don't know, it seems BOCOG like playing Symbolism very much. The fixed themes are not very opitional

If it's NOT related to the cauldron, why is it shielded then? Plus, I don't think they would be putting that up 48 hours before Aug 8. Remember, the gas lines have also to be installed -- and maybe if it (the whole set-up) doesn't work, they have enough time to tear it down and go to Plan B.

And how else are they going to put up any such roof installations -- ban photography for a 5-mile radius? No; it's part of a big secret, then cover it.

Wait, let me calibrate my satellite.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's not shielded completely, nor do we know that there's anything in there. It could just be for auxiliary. I don't know, like tnmp said, it seems like they are being a bit too open about this - I mean, yes, they can't place the thing a day or two before the OC, but do they absolutely have to 50 days out? Gas lines could have been installed during construction, and the bulk of it could have been assembled inside then hoisted up in the dead of night, say a week to 4 days before the night of Aug. 8th.

It's not shielded completely, nor do we know that there's anything in there. It could just be for auxiliary. I don't know, like tnmp said, it seems like they are being a bit too open about this - I mean, yes, they can't place the thing a day or two before the OC, but do they absolutely have to 50 days out? Gas lines could have been installed during construction, and the bulk of it could have been assembled inside then hoisted up in the dead of night, say a week to 4 days before the night of Aug. 8th.

Sorry, but that's completely unrealistic. Even the rather simple Athens cauldron was installed many weeks before the opening ceremony. As Baron pointed out, construction isn't enough -- you have to test the thing, maybe also under different weather conditions. And what do you do if you notice one day before the ceremony that the cauldron mechanism doesn't work? To prevent a major embarrassment, you'll want to start early. And as we saw with the construction of all the venues, the Chinese are no slow starters anyway.

By the way: I can't remember just one edition of the Olympic Games where the cauldron remained a secret until the opening ceremony (maybe that was only the case when the cauldron was nothing more than a small bowl standing on the infield).

By the way: I can't remember just one edition of the Olympic Games where the cauldron remained a secret until the opening ceremony (maybe that was only the case when the cauldron was nothing more than a small bowl standing on the infield).

Even the way the fire is lit is not always a secret. Barcelona 1992 announced a few days before the opening the fire would be lit by an archer. And before the OC in Athens 2004, there were some pictures that the cauldron would bent.

Maybe Sydney's? Maybe because it was submerged and Ric Birch had complete control over the scheme from the beginning? I wasn't on the board yet -- nor was this board up yet in 2000?

As for Barcelona, I knew the afternoon before. We went into a photo shop to restock on film and batteries, and the friendly shopkeeper told us: keep an eye out for arrow." So they apparently practiced it during the dress rehearsal, and of course, tongues wagged and word got around quickly.

LA might've been another 'well-guarded' secret even though you already saw where the 'cauldron-torch' would be.

As for Lillehammer, one (I for one) guessed that they would have a ski-jumper fly down with the torch -- and its post-climatic Lighting with that dumb Crown Prince and that totally unimaginative 'Cauldron' of theirs.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sorry, but that's completely unrealistic. Even the rather simple Athens cauldron was installed many weeks before the opening ceremony. As Baron pointed out, construction isn't enough -- you have to test the thing, maybe also under different weather conditions. And what do you do if you notice one day before the ceremony that the cauldron mechanism doesn't work? To prevent a major embarrassment, you'll want to start early. And as we saw with the construction of all the venues, the Chinese are no slow starters anyway.

Yeah, I suppose you two are probably right. This is my first time fallowing a lead up to a Games, so I'm not really the most insightful into all this.

Maybe Sydney's? Maybe because it was submerged and Ric Birch had complete control over the scheme from the beginning? I wasn't on the board yet -- nor was this board up yet in 2000?

As far as I know, there were already photos of the Sydney cauldron leaked to the press beforehand. Note: Of the cauldron, not of its lighting mechanism.

I dont think the Sydney Cauldron was leaked in its entirety, however a few weeks (cant entirely sure how many) before the opening ceremony the mast of the cauldron was mistakingly revealed to the public when it rose up over the stands during an NRL (I think) press conference on the field of the stadium.

That's when SOCOG came out and said that there would be much more to the cauldron, as it first glance, it looked unimpressive.

I think the next time we saw the Sydney cauldron was during one of the final dress rehersals where we saw dripping water coming down the outside of the stadium.

I dont think the Sydney Cauldron was leaked in its entirety, however a few weeks (cant entirely sure how many) before the opening ceremony the mast of the cauldron was mistakingly revealed to the public when it rose up over the stands during an NRL (I think) press conference on the field of the stadium.

That's when SOCOG came out and said that there would be much more to the cauldron, as it first glance, it looked unimpressive.

I think the next time we saw the Sydney cauldron was during one of the final dress rehersals where we saw dripping water coming down the outside of the stadium.

That's right. In a magazine I saw the cauldron already on a picture before the Games begun.

Another theory: it CAN'T be a scroll (again) because in essence, it would be another 'reefer.' So, what another chorus of "..hmmmm, Athensman, give me another hit!"? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think they're putting up a giant wok up there; and a giant Egg Roll will pop up and Whoosh!! burst into flame!!

So, here's how the OC take-home package will look like:

Chinese_OC-takeout.jpg

The souvenir program, one fuwa, and the mini-egg-roll cauldron will be in there.

Tres, tres chinoise. :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV