Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

But you keep posting more repetitive pics on it.

How about some ORIGINAL, more REVEALING pics, MJ? Now - those would be appreciated.

Ok~I tried my best anyway, and that's just those pics of the completed look of stadium by the offical Press. It's just a news updated. Why's that so sensitive and complicated for you to embrace them anyway?

91052.gif All right,

I'm waiting for your ORIGINAL/MORE REVEALING/HIGH-CLASS pics for the sake of better quality on this post.

So Athens' cauldron, but with wings?

:D Looks like it.

cauldron.jpg

This image shows my personal imagination and idea regarding the lighting scheme of Beijing 2008 cauldron.

Hmmm...quite clever, Zain.

Seems possible.

However, the feeling becomes...after the 'creature' slides down and unfolds its wings - what next? Why won't it fly? Why is it stuck on the rim of the roof? (It's like a poor butterfly pinned to a board...) :(

See my feeling is -- whatever it is -- gets lit; and then just settles back on the roof - out of view from the spectators inside. So they can concentrate on the T&F events there -- not get distracted by staring or gawking or pointing at this 'burning whatever' looking down at them -- if things start to get boring down on the field. And why is it on this side of the roof? And not the other? And people behind it will have to run down or move to the other side of the stadium to take photo or get a full view of the whole thing -- if it's too attention-getting and too elaborate. (I know I would if I'm already in there and have paid my money to get in.)

But if it's a simple chimney-type thing tucked away in the roof -- then you won't have people inside jockeying for a good vantage point or running to the opposite side just so they can take pictures; and then back again to their seas.

That's just my feeling... and I'm not Chinese.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Ok~I tried my best anyway, and that's just those pics of the completed look of stadium by the offical Press. It's just a news updated. Why's that so sensitive and complicated for you to embrace them anyway?

91052.gif All right,

I'm waiting for your ORIGINAL/MORE REVEALING/HIGH-CLASS pics for the sake of better quality on this post.

Thanks, maryjane -- you're a doll.

Sorry if I sounded snippety. Yesterday was not a good day for me. ;)

Am generally not a profuse picture-poster.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

http://en.beijing2008.cn/volunteers/news/l...4429057_2.shtml

The banners in front of the stadium, are those olympic banners (look of the games elements) or is it decoration for the oat ceremony?

It's decoration for that oath ceremony.

Things like that would probably only be put in place around a week before everything starts (though it's already in place at the IBC/MPC, as the media has already started to move in).

Hmmm...quite clever, Zain.

Seems possible.

However, the feeling becomes...after the 'creature' slides down and unfolds its wings - what next? Why won't it fly? Why is it stuck on the rim of the roof? (It's like a poor butterfly pinned to a board...) :(

See my feeling is -- whatever it is -- gets lit; and then just settles back on the roof - out of view from the spectators inside. So they can concentrate on the T&F events there -- not get distracted by staring or gawking or pointing at this 'burning whatever' looking down at them -- if things start to get boring down on the field. And why is it on this side of the roof? And not the other? And people behind it will have to run down or move to the other side of the stadium to take photo or get a full view of the whole thing -- if it's too attention-getting and too elaborate. (I know I would if I'm already in there and have paid my money to get in.)

But if it's a simple chimney-type thing tucked away in the roof -- then you won't have people inside jockeying for a good vantage point or running to the opposite side just so they can take pictures; and then back again to their seas.

That's just my feeling... and I'm not Chinese.

Oh thanks Baron, this time I am combining your comments in my design and I think this cauldron can retract back to roof.

As I am student of aerospace engineering, I am thinking wildly about mechanical linkages, I know I know cauldron is not supposed to fly in the air but mechanical movement can make a lighting scenario a dramatic one, for example, Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000.

cauldron2.jpg

This design is my personal imagination and does not represent any secret drawing or official lightning scheme.

That is very, very nice, Zain. I have a few things to say though:

-Although I do agree that this will be the basic cauldron set-up and concept (the scroll), I believe we've already seen the hinge and it actually looks like this. Ditto for the actual cauldron.

-And I think the cauldron will be lifted up and then lighted. Because if it was lighted first like Athens, no one inside the stadium, not even the media and those top officials, will be able to see the actual lighting, as the cauldron would still be layed down on the roof and faced away from the roof's opening. So say when the final or penultimate torchbearer is running through the athletes in the middle of the stadium, that may be when the cauldron will be lifted.

It's decoration for that oath ceremony.

Things like that would probably only be put in place around a week before everything starts (though it's already in place at the IBC/MPC, as the media has already started to move in).

Are there pictures of this at the IBC/MPC somewhere?

Are there pictures of this at the IBC/MPC somewhere?

International Broadcast Center: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomanytribbles/2360682341/ (the temporary Fencing hall is also in there)

Main Press Center: http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/venues/...214327206.shtml

I know that Beijing's "Look" is already in place there (and on the outside of the buildings) because there was segment on CCTV - International a few days ago about the media beginning to move in.

International Broadcast Center: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomanytribbles/2360682341/ (the temporary Fencing hall is also in there)

Main Press Center: http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/venues/...214327206.shtml

I know that Beijing's "Look" is already in place there (and on the outside of the buildings) because there was segment on CCTV - International a few days ago about the media beginning to move in.

Thank you for the pictures. But I meant if there are some pictures with the look of the games elements in the IBC/MPC.

That is very, very nice, Zain. I have a few things to say though:

-Although I do agree that this will be the basic cauldron set-up and concept (the scroll), I believe we've already seen the hinge and it actually looks like this. Ditto for the actual cauldron.

-And I think the cauldron will be lifted up and then lighted. Because if it was lighted first like Athens, no one inside the stadium, not even the media and those top officials, will be able to see the actual lighting, as the cauldron would still be layed down on the roof and faced away from the roof's opening. So say when the final or penultimate torchbearer is running through the athletes in the middle of the stadium, that may be when the cauldron will be lifted.

That's why I 'don't get the message' as you said (in the "Wall-E" thread). I DON'T understand your post. Or should I even try? :rolleyes:

--------------------

The Beijing 2008 Olympic Cauldron won't be a giant bird. That would just be stupid.

LMAO

And what is a 'phoenix' but a giant 'bird'? MJ, u were the one who instigated the idea of a 'phoenix' -- so why are u mocking zain's interpretation? :angry: Can you put your ideas, if any?, down on paper as he has?

ROFTLMAO.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Today is my 20th birthday, God, Allah almighty gave me life, gave me existence and presence. I was nothing before my birth and I will be nothing after my death, we humans have a short lifetime and we should never worry about bad creatures around us. Our life has no comparison, nothing is alternate of it and we should enjoy every moment of it because past can never come back.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

That's why I 'don't get the message' as you said (in the "Wall-E" thread). I DON'T understand your post. Or should I even try? :rolleyes:

:blink: I never posted in the Walll*E thread. You must be confusing me with nykfan845.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not mocking Zain or anyone who thinks the cauldron will be a bird. I just really don't think it will be and if it is, I don't think it would look very good.

Thank you for the pictures. But I meant if there are some pictures with the look of the games elements in the IBC/MPC.

Well, Beijing's "Look", so far at least, is just the "lucky cloud" design. It's done beautifully on the medal ribbons and Bocog has long used it as background for press conferences. Though I think there may be more patterns and designs to it all that we'll see next month.

Today is my 20th birthday, God, Allah almighty gave me life, gave me existence and presence. I was nothing before my birth and I will be nothing after my death, we humans have a short lifetime and we should never worry about bad creatures around us. Our life has no comparison, nothing is alternate of it and we should enjoy every moment of it because past can never come back.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

EMBRACE YOU~ WE'RE THE SAME AGE, YAY~ :lol:

I must say, those beautiful blue skys in all these pictures of the stadium just help make it look like such a welcoming place :lol:

Obviously Bejing has nipped that air quality problem in the bud!

Now to the big question:

With all these pictures of the stadium why hasn't anyone gone into the restrooms to find out if the squatter toilet problem has been fixed and taken pictures?

There are pictures of the bathrooms some pages back.

Well I see the ones of the restroom doors but nothing inside the stalls!

The squatter toilets could be the difference between a successful games and an international incident! :P

I just saw at gettyimages.com a few pictures made in the olympic green.

It shows sculptures and a very Chinese arch. Never seen before, realy very nice.

I still don't know how to show the gettyimages.com pictures here, maybe somebody could help me?