Vancouver 2010 at Torino 2006 Closing Ceremony

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's not the best choice but we should make the best out of it. All this whinning and complaining is getting quite sickening actually. After all she is Canadian and I'm sure she feels really proud to represent Canada at the Torino Closing Ceremony. We all should support her, remember the Olympics are supposed to bring the people of the world together to enjoy diverse culture and sport.

Avril Lavigne with the RCMP on horses?

i agree with davie. it was really surprised when i heard that Avril would be the feature. she didn't come across my mind as being anywhere near the top 20 for any sort of 2010 ceremony, except the medal ceremonies in 2010. so, for now, i'll be welcoming her with open arms. :)

ok, so Avril with curly hair or long straight hair?

I am not a huge Avril fan, but I do not mind her. But rember this is the OLYMPIC GAMES, you can more see her maybe doing the National Anthem or something more Olympic Ceremony like.

Sales of Canada's Top 10 Selling Artists Around the World Since January 1995

Artist Approximate worldwide sales (units 000,000)

1 Ceine Dion                     150

2 Shania Twain                   70

3 Alanis Morissette              45

4 Avril Lavigne                    20

5 Sarah McLachlan              19

6 Nickelback                       17

7 Diana Krall                       11.5

8 Barenaked Ladies              11

9 Nelly Furtado                     6

10 Sum 41 (tied)                   5

10 Our Lady Peace (tied)        5

Source: August 2004.

That's quite impressive.

And if you think she's gonna have long thin hair and a ton of make up on (her trademark raccoon eyes), think again.  She has changed her image and adopted a more "feminine" look.

A lot less make up and thick curly blonde hair will be the Avril that will represent Canada in Torino.

Yeah yeah. I should have known there were going to be tons of people getting all hissy over music stars and statistics and what is considered Canadian and what shouldn't  :rolleyes:

I would rather have one celebrity involved than have the WHOLE thing some artsy-fartsy mountie/native/maple leaf stuff (although it's quite necessary as well). Modernize, people.

Sales of Canada's Top 10 Selling Artists Around the World Since January 1995

Artist Approximate worldwide sales (units 000,000)

1 Ceine Dion                     150

2 Shania Twain                   70

3 Alanis Morissette              45

4 Avril Lavigne                    20

5 Sarah McLachlan              19

6 Nickelback                       17

7 Diana Krall                       11.5

8 Barenaked Ladies              11

9 Nelly Furtado                     6

10 Sum 41 (tied)                   5

10 Our Lady Peace (tied)        5

Source: August 2004.

That's quite impressive.

And if you think she's gonna have long thin hair and a ton of make up on (her trademark raccoon eyes), think again.  She has changed her image and adopted a more "feminine" look.

A lot less make up and thick curly blonde hair will be the Avril that will represent Canada in Torino.

Please, instead of Avril Lavigne, let perform Shania TWAIN or Diana KRALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid...

"Lavinaaq" The Scary Monster of Vancouver!!

Its a bit small, cheap and has had little effort put into it - so whats new?

lavinaaq.jpg

very good but crude, ANdrew.  I would send the VANOC people in TOrino a good facsimile of that.  

BTW, "O Canada"" will probably be instrumental.  When the flags of the outgoing host and incoming one are hoisted, it is the orchestra that usually plays anthems.  Of course, they may alter it this time.  But if Birch has any input in the Vancouver segment, he would probably nix having Lavigne screech "O Canada!"

I think Avril was an excellent choice for the handover ceremony. The fact she was selected to do the IOC's Humanity Commericals speak volumes of her international appeal and to young people.

It also helps that she will already be in Turino as she will be headlining one of the nightly concerts in the medals plaza so VANOC probably got a deal.

As for Ceine Dion, she is so 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Besides, I don't think Avril will be the only major Canadian star that will appear during the handover.

The singing of "O Canada" will probably be sung by a choir with lead singers as with the case during the Athens 2004 Handover.

I believe it will be an exciting and sophisticated presentation by Canada and Vancouver.  

Louroz

I think Avril was an excellent choice for the handover ceremony. The fact she was selected to do the IOC's Humanity Commericals speak volumes of her international appeal and to young people.

It also helps that she will already be in Turino as she will be headlining one of the nightly concerts in the medals plaza so VANOC probably got a deal.

As for Ceine Dion, she is so 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Besides, I don't think Avril will be the only major Canadian star that will appear during the handover.

The singing of "O Canada" will probably be sung by a choir with lead singers as with the case during the Athens 2004 Handover.

I believe it will be an exciting and sophisticated presentation by Canada and Vancouver.  

Louroz

i think it will be s h i t - like anything that is suppose to be cultural that comes out of this wasteland of popular culture

any suggestions then faster? as opposed to just bitching about it?

as for AAAVRrrrrrrrril LaVEEEEEEEEEEEn (shut up i know that is not the spelling...), she is probably less cultural than yogurt, but at least it is not the peircing irritating french witch, celine, nor that tennessee wanna be country bumpkin come high flying celebraty shania. we all know alanis, with her stint as god in dogma, is by far the most hip of the canadian export women. diana had to resort to chrysler, a very UNhip brand. and nelly is ethnic, so she doesn't count. Sarah was on hiatis and had too many kids for too long to be a REAL international contender, and the other sarah (harmer) is too unknown.

I think Anne Murray should sing "Snowbird".   :P

While I'm not jazzed about Avril just yet, I am glad it isn't Celine, Shania or Bryan Adams.

Now, they only have about 10 minutes and a whole stadium to fill.  That means that they won't have more than one celeb with Avril, but there will no doubt be dancing or some other kind of performance.

But what will Avril sing?  Her style isn't the typical "Olympicy" stuff like "Power of the Dream" or "Reach" or "Friends for Life" or "One Moment in Time".  She's somewhere between the harder edge of pop and the softer edge of rock (kind of like Ilanaaq's soft rounded corners  :P ).  I assume something new?

Given that it is Avril and her style is what it is, I kind of imagine something energetic, sporty but kind of odd.  Like hockey players and snowboarders doing choreographed moves and icons of Canada floating by.  Oh look, its Avril on the CN Tower...oh, there she goes to the Rockies now.  Lookie there, now she's at the Peggy's Cove lighthouse...now she's in an igloo, building an inukshuk.  Where will Avril be next?

Both Avril L. and Andrea B. will be performing at the Closing and both were in the Celebrate Humanity ad campaign.

It just better not suck.

I agree.  Anne Murray is the quentisential Canadian.  EVERYONE knows that she is Canadian.  And Snowbird is timeless.  :P

And everyone knows Celine is Canadian.  She just tries to act like she is an American.  

Avril, Shania, Nelly, Alanis - bet you half the people don't know that they are Canadian and think they are American.  I personally didn't know Shania was until a few years after she got hot.

While I'm not jazzed about Avril just yet, I am glad it isn't Celine, Shania or Bryan Adams.

Now, they only have about 10 minutes and a whole stadium to fill.  That means that they won't have more than one celeb with Avril, but there will no doubt be dancing or some other kind of performance.

But what will Avril sing?  Her style isn't the typical "Olympicy" stuff like "Power of the Dream" or "Reach" or "Friends for Life" or "One Moment in Time".  She's somewhere between the harder edge of pop and the softer edge of rock (kind of like Ilanaaq's soft rounded corners  :P ).  I assume something new?

Given that it is Avril and her style is what it is, I kind of imagine something energetic, sporty but kind of odd.  Like hockey players and snowboarders doing choreographed moves and icons of Canada floating by.  Oh look, its Avril on the CN Tower...oh, there she goes to the Rockies now.  Lookie there, now she's at the Peggy's Cove lighthouse...now she's in an igloo, building an inukshuk.  Where will Avril be next?

Both Avril L. and Andrea B. will be performing at the Closing and both were in the Celebrate Humanity ad campaign.

It just better not suck.

Anne WHO ???

Is she known worlwide ? No one know here in Europe........

I agree.  Anne Murray is the quentisential Canadian.  EVERYONE knows that she is Canadian.  And Snowbird is timeless.  :P

And everyone knows Celine is Canadian.  She just tries to act like she is an American.  

Avril, Shania, Nelly, Alanis - bet you half the people don't know that they are Canadian and think they are American.  I personally didn't know Shania was until a few years after she got hot.

How about Anne, k.d. lang and Ellen de Generes?  So indeed, it would be the XX Games.  Ok, it would lead up to the XXI WOGs.  

But I definitely would like Anne Murray.  I love her SONGBIRD song.  She's like the Canadian female John Denver.  Or was John Denver the American male Anne Murray?   :upside:

Does someone have to be world famous in order to perform at the Olympics?  Hardly...the ceremonies of Games past are filled with non-famous people.  I think this marks the first time a hand-over ceremony featured a celebrity.

Anne Murray is the original Canadian Idol.   :P

annemurray_article.jpg

How about Anne, k.d. lang and Ellen de Generes?  So indeed, it would be the XX Games.  Ok, it would lead up to the XXI WOGs.  

But I definitely would like Anne Murray.  I love her SONGBIRD song.  She's like the Canadian female John Denver.  Or was John Denver the American male Anne Murray?   :upside:

Well k.d. sang at Calgary's Closing Ceremony so I guess she has had her Olympic experience.  

I like the idea of Ellen de Generes entertaining the Italian audience.  Maybe she could wear her Bjork dress she wore to the Oscar's a few years ago.  

Anne WHO

Is she known worlwide ? No one know here in Europe........

Who is Anne Murray? :shocked: My God, she is one of the best singers to come out of Canada.  When she sings you can picture the beautiful Canadian mountains, the crisp winter breeze and snowbirds fluttering through the air.  

See - another example of how unsophisticated Europeans are about music.  Eurovision - bah!

J/K!  :laughlong:

i think stuff like Mobile, Sam Roberts, the Trews, the Tragicly Hip are more reflective of the Canadian sound than Avril

even someone like Paul Brant(sp) would be more suitably Canadian than Avril - the girls so pretentious her names Avril instead of April