Auckland 1972...

Alexjc

:mellow: Does anyone out there in GB have any more info of NZs first attempt at bidding for the Summer Olympic games in 1972?

At that time NZ was riding on the back of it's THEN world class Mid Distance track team.

Apparently the NZOC got quite some distance into their bid when the plug was pulled. This was a time when the city (or country) had to pay for the games, Befor mass market TV and coporate sponsors.

Munich got them instead...

:mellow: Does anyone out there in GB have any more info of NZs first attempt at bidding for the Summer Olympic games in 1972?

At that time NZ was riding on the back of it's THEN world class Mid Distance track team.

Apparently the NZOC got quite some distance into their bid when the plug was pulled. This was a time when the city (or country) had to pay for the games, Befor mass market TV and coporate sponsors.

Munich got them instead...

i have visited the NZOC library a couple of times and i am pretty sure that they had information there. I no that Christchurch also put together a discussion document on hosting the 2002 winter olympics. This is a very interesting document which i have read. Perhaps you could email the NZOC. PM me if you need contact email addresses, i also would be interested to no further information

This the first heard of it. But what ever would have compelled a city of about 500,000 in tiny remote and (and very isolated at the time) island nation of what 2mil back then to consider itself as a chance for the olympic games? Just seems kinda odd and you would think it would be more well documented. I'm sure it would have raised many eyebrows here and diffenetly with the IOC.

From what is known, the NZOC pulled out just before the official lodging of bids. At that time NZ was one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and actually lent money out instead of borrowing it. Gosh what a turn around in 40 odd years!

Had've the Rugby WC 2011 bid not been successful, Christchurch would have been given the go ahead for a long range official NZ Government study for the 2018 Winter Olympics. At this time it's still well with NZs capabilities.

From what is known, the NZOC pulled out just before the official lodging of bids. At that time NZ was one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and actually lent money out instead of borrowing it. Gosh what a turn around in 40 odd years!

Had've the Rugby WC 2011 bid not been successful, Christchurch would have been given the go ahead for a long range official NZ Government study for the 2018 Winter Olympics. At this time it's still well with NZs capabilities.

NZ was one of the wealthiest countries in the world during the 70's? I never new sheep were so lucrative back then.

Where are you getting this info from, becasue I've been in contact with the NZOC about a future winter bid they Barry Meister told me that it have been shelved pretty much.

It just seems so odd but then again Auckland did come up with alot of big 'visionary' projects back in the 70's. Namely the plan to build an underground metro lke rail system and a rail tunnel under the harbour to the north shore.

NZ was one of the wealthiest countries in the world during the 70's? I never new sheep were so lucrative back then.

The bid study was in the early 1960s...

Your've only been alive during the evil eighties and nasty ninties.

thats right during the 1960's new zealand was one of the most wealthiest countries in the world. W e had the lowest unemployment in the world and we have the third highest standard of living in the world. New3 Zelaand prime minister at the time argued that he could count the number of unemployed on one hand. You are right New Zealand olympic committee pulled out just before the lodging of bids.

Well, this is news to me. What sparked the idea? Was it the city's hosting of the 1950 Commonwealth Games one of the factors for such a venture? I guess they shelved it in the end in favor of Christchurch bidding for the 1974 Commonwealth Games, which that NZ city did get.

Well, this is news to me. What sparked the idea? Was it the city's hosting of the 1950 Commonwealth Games one of the factors for such a venture? I guess they shelved it in the end in favor of Christchurch bidding for the 1974 Commonwealth Games, which that NZ city did get.

thats a good question i am not sure what sparked the idea but i have read it in one of my books, which i will find and read!

Very interesting, first I'd ever heard of that. You guys were probably lucky, though, that 1972 didn't end up in Auckland _ I reckon Black September would have made sure that it was a bad hosting for whoever hosted in that year.

Where are you getting this info from, becasue I've been in contact with the NZOC about a future winter bid they Barry Meister told me that it have been shelved pretty much.

How long ago was this? I suspect you're right, I really haven't heard anything about any plans for a 2018 bid, even if Christchurch/Queenstown seems to turn up in just about everyone's list of possible 2018 bidders.

How long ago was this? I suspect you're right, I really haven't heard anything about any plans for a 2018 bid, even if Christchurch/Queenstown seems to turn up in just about everyone's list of possible 2018 bidders.

Briefly looked at when NZ confirmed it was bidding for the 2011RWC, I think, just after the 2003 RWC. Mainly as an "if it fails, what next?" agenda. Interest in other major sports events for NZ are now well and truly on the back tray of the to look at files untill 2010.

As for 1972, this was spawned, I belive, just after Rome 1960, it was to take NZ into the modern era. As for the events of 1972, one can only use hindsight...The fact that the Palestinians would have bothered to travel as far away from the Middle East to a country that had no bone to pick with them, to kill a team of an enemy state (in which the actions of Germany help create - in their eyes), is a matter of conjecture.

I thought that Helsinki 1952 would have sparked this kind of NZ bid, too, along with Rome 1960. Don't forget, until Athens 2004 came to be, Helsinki 1952 was the last time the Olympic Games was held in a "small country." However, with the Olympic Games (summer) being seen as "too big" for some people, it makes one wonder how and, if possible, "small cities in small countries" can host the Olympiads now.

However, with the Olympic Games (summer) being seen as "too big" for some people, it makes one wonder how and, if possible, "small cities in small countries" can host the Olympiads now.

Well in theory smaller cities and countries could host but it makes it extremely and totally economically unviable and its road I wouldn’t want to see my country go down.

The trouble with small cities and countries hosting the games is that venues may become unused and left empty like what happened in Athens.

That is the crux of the matter. What is considered "small" in these cases? You are going to get a varied range of opinions on that. We have seen it many times on these forums.

The trouble with small cities and countries hosting the games is that venues may become unused and left empty like what happened in Athens.

Ah, but if you listen to the Greeks, for some reason they considered it an indispensible matter of national honour that they had to have permemnent stadiums for every sport, never mind the fact that half of those sports they didn't even want to watch during the games, much less in the years after.

Most other hosts, like Atlanta, Sydney and London, have been smart enough to realise that games facilities need not be permanent, and that temporary facilities can be just as appealing as a shiny new facility.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, but if you listen to the Greeks, for some reason they considered it an indispensible matter of national honour that they had to have permemnent stadiums for every sport, never mind the fact that half of those sports they didn't even want to watch during the games, much less in the years after.

Most other hosts, like Atlanta, Sydney and London, have been smart enough to realise that games facilities need not be permanent, and that temporary facilities can be just as appealing as a shiny new facility.

True that, Still Olympic Park (Homebush) IS costing Sydney $$$ to operate, Telstra Stadium seems to be the only venue paying it's way.

True that, Still Olympic Park (Homebush) IS costing Sydney $$$ to operate, Telstra Stadium seems to be the only venue paying it's way.

Actually, the $65 million annual bill is mainly for the upkeep of the parkland around it and for sanitation and security services to the sporting precinct, and is about exactly the same annual cost as the maintenance on New York's Central Park.

Telstra has made a profit for years, and the Superdome last year was the second highest grossing indoor venue after Madison Square Gardens (according to Billboard magazine). The Acquatic Centre's always been a success, the Whitewater Centre has been a surprise succees hit. I could go on and on.

About the only venues that are NOT making a profit is the Dunc Grey Velodrome and the Equestrian Centre _ but show me a velodrome or equestrian centre anywhere that does and also argue that these are not community assets worthy of the maintenance cost (about 0.1 per cent of the total yearly NSW capital works budget).

I'm sick of this White Elephant bullshit about Sydney Olympic Park _ it's so five years ago!

OH MY @!#$@$#....seriously...im not sure why u even respond roltel..let the ignorant remain ignorant...the only reason why the velodrome in cape town is a success is due to it hosting concerts but sydney has the superdome for that...of course it costs money to keep a venue or a park operating...how else would it be maintained???

regarding the equestrian centre, i say use any racecourse available in the city and construct a completely temporary centre, use large open spaces outside of the equestrian venue for those cross country courses...

regarding the equestrian centre, i say use any racecourse available in the city and construct a completely temporary centre, use large open spaces outside of the equestrian venue for those cross country courses...

Exactly what London are doing in Greenwich. Right in front of the Maritime Museum and Observatory - on the meridian line.

OH MY @!#$@$#....seriously...im not sure why u even respond roltel..let the ignorant remain ignorant...the only reason why the velodrome in cape town is a success is due to it hosting concerts but sydney has the superdome for that...of course it costs money to keep a venue or a park operating...how else would it be maintained???

Ignorant!!??

This from a person who's country believes it's done NOTHING WRONG???

Anyway The New Zealand Equestrian Centre, just outside Auckland is very well used on a weekly basis - one of the problems with Auckland's new Stadium, either Waterfront or Eden Park, is finding revenue just to cover costs-

Thus the reason why this topic started in the first place, such expensive Winter Olympic facilities need to be VERY WELL USED in what is, for NZ, a short "snow" winter June till October.

Just need to look at Nagano to see even an economic superpower struggle to upkeep it's facilities.

Ignorant!!??

This from a person who's country believes it's done NOTHING WRONG???

Anyway The New Zealand Equestrian Centre, just outside Auckland is very well used on a weekly basis - one of the problems with Auckland's new Stadium, either Waterfront or Eden Park, is finding revenue just to cover costs-

Thus the reason why this topic started in the first place, such expensive Winter Olympic facilities need to be VERY WELL USED in what is, for NZ, a short "snow" winter June till October.

Just need to look at Nagano to see even an economic superpower struggle to upkeep it's facilities.

Which was the point I was trying to make about temporary facilities _ they cost far, far less and could help smaller countries to dream the dream of hosting big events. The Greeks seemed to think national honour required them to build permamnent facilities for every sport and that they'd be laughed at if they had temporary facilities, when the experience of richer countries shows the opposite (indeed, it's probably onl;y the likes of us who would know which hosts had temporary facilities and which didn't).

As to Sydney, I'd just re-iterate again, the vast majority of the ongoing costs are for the maintenance of parkland, not facilities. The only reason anybody even notices is that the park is classified within the Sydney Olympic Precinct _ never mind the fact that the actuial parkland area mainly stems back to 1988 when it was established as Bicentennial Park to mark the Bicentenary of white settlement in Oz.

Archived