Live Chat: Opening Ceremony Gangwon 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games

Live Chat

Gangwon 2024 Opening Ceremony

4th Winter Youth Olympic Games 

MnVDbJi.jpg

The Olympic family returns to South Korea on 19 January to celebrate the Opening Ceremony of the Gangwon 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games.

Where:  Gangneung Oval and PyeongChang Dome

When:  19:45 (7:45 pm) KST Friday, 29 January 2024

To Watch:

1. Login in to Gangwon 2024 on Olympics.com 
  2. Download the Olympics App: “Olympics: Live Sports & News”
  3.  It may also be livestreamed (?) on IOC MediaYouTube.

Opening Ceremony Director: Yan Jung-ung

Opening Ceremony concept

The Opening Ceremony of Gangwon 2024, set to take place simultaneously in the Gangneung Oval and PyeongChang Dome, will revolve around the theme of “The Universe”. The cosmos theme symbolises the infinite possibilities for youth, from the imaginative “ice planet” playground to the gravity-defying freedom of outer space.

The young people taking part in the ceremony will metaphorically “grow up” as they explore the shining stars and microcosm within themselves, guided by the slogan “Grow Together, Shine Forever”. The ceremony’s heroine, Wuri, will embark on a journey into the realm of the imagination, rediscovering her long-forgotten dream and creating her own universe.

K-pop at the heart of the celebration

A diverse line-up of artists, dancers and singers will celebrate Korean culture during the ceremony. The main stage at the Gangneung Oval will feature newly formed boy band LUN8 and girl band Triple S. Renowned Korean rappers and hip-hop award winners Ash Island and Changmo, traditional Korean band Lennalchi, and dance crew Ambiguous Dance Company, known for merging hip-hop and classical dance, will also take to the main stage.

Meanwhile, at the PyeongChang Dome, there will beperformances by Korean singer Taeyeon, Korean rappers Hwasa and BewhY, 1 Million Dance Studio, and Korean-based Filipino boy band Hori7on.

xkjh5Sv.jpg

• Like 1

this will bring back a lot of memories of what I consider my first Winter Olympics :)

(yes, PyeongChang 2018 was in fact the first Winter Olympics that I watched...)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bear said:

this will bring back a lot of memories of what I consider my first Winter Olympics :)

(yes, PyeongChang 2018 was in fact the first Winter Olympics that I watched...)

Yes should be an excellent Opening Ceremony, lively, energetic and the experienced South Koreans know how to stage a good one.

7 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

It is confirmed that IOCMediaYouTube are live streaming the Gamgwon 2024 Opening Ceremony.

Here is the OC link to watch the Opening Ceremony below

Start Time:  1945 (7.45 pm) Korean Standard Time

Friday, 19 January 2024

https://www.youtube.com/live/1hKEIqXBf2U?si=XWCZu6EhMU5754h3

i was JUST about to post this lol

anyways it seems like a bunch of sports + the closing ceremony will also be streamed on YT as was the case with Lausanne and previous YOGs

• Thanks 1

localized start times if anyone needs it:

naTBQKo.png

wooo fourth straight olympic year where I have to stay up all night if i want to watch the ceremonies live

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes should be a well run, fun, lively Opening Ceremony :)

Excited as I was for PyeongChang 2018...now it's part 2

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bear said:

wooo fourth straight olympic year where I have to stay up all night if i want to watch the ceremonies live

Yeah, but the sports should be on early evening/primetime in the Pacific time zone, so not a bad compromise for you :D

• Like 1

Hard to believe it's 4 years since Lausanne 2020 just before COVID hit and disrupted the next two normal Olympics in Tokyo and Beijing. We were lucky to get through to the 2020 W YOG. 

Will be looking forward to this. Brings me back memories to PyeongChang 2018 which seems like an eternity six long years ago. Let the YOG begin! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BigVic said:

Hard to believe it's 4 years since Lausanne 2020 just before COVID hit and disrupted the next two normal Olympics in Tokyo and Beijing. We were lucky to get through to the 2020 W YOG. 

Will be looking forward to this. Brings me back memories to PyeongChang 2018 which seems like an eternity six long years ago. Let the YOG begin! 

Yes, Lausanne 2020 seems just like yesterday. You’re right, how on earth Lausanne 2020 even took place is a miracle with the dark cloud of Covid advancing.  And now, look at Switzerland, they’re on a priveliged pathway to be preferred host of the full Olympic Winter Games in 2038.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigVic said:

The legacy of Lausaane 2020 is a springboard to a Swiss-wide 2038 Winter Olympics 

and now here its reversed with the legacy of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics being a springboard to a Youth Olympics :lol:

• Like 1

I might be a bit late to the live chat so I may start the ceremony from the beginning instead of following it live with everyone else. I'll keep you updated.

• Like 1

Just realised something.

For Australian viewers, you have a choice of watching the Youtube Live Stream from the Official Olympics channel

OR

Watch the ceremony on 9Go (Channel 93) with coverage starting from 9:55pm AEDT. 

• Like 1