Toronto Won't Bid For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

Oh right, Africa. That place with 13 or 14 of the 110 IOC members and a bevy of human, political and economic issues.[/b]

"That place" of South America has even less IOC members, & is also a bevy of human, political & economic issues. But none of that mattered to the full IOC when they overwhelmingly voted for 2016. If there's one candidate that could thwart Europe for 2024, it's South Africa. But not anyone else.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some cities that just don't have the Olympic feel to them and New York is one of them. Let me explain...because it is a wonderful city and I love it tremendously. But New York's combination of geography, culture, population, real estate, attitude, density, history, etc. just kind of forms a stew that makes it hard for them to host the Olympics. Other cities of Olympic caliber also have this affliction. Hong Kong. Singapore. And in a way, Istanbul. It doesn't mean it can't happen. They just have specific challenges that are harder to address than London or Sydney.

I was at City

Don't rule out Toronto just yet. This decision was made by the crippled Toronto city council led by powerless "crack smoking" Rob Ford.

The study is complete and the IOC nomination isn't until late 2015. Toronto is the only COC choice for summer and the Toronto Mayorial race is this fall so everything could change by then.

No promises, but you heard it here first.

I agree. Bob Richardson was supposed to speak but he didn't and probably because he knew with Rob Ford it was useless. Also the study wasn't needed for 2020. So with a possible new mayor and possible new members of economic committee its possible.

But the expo bid winning = dead Olympics imo. No way they bid for both.

Right now about 5 members of the 45 body do not support the expo 100% while 4 do.

But really I don't think its worth bidding if Paris or Rome bid.

"That place" of South America has even less IOC members, & is also a bevy of human, political & economic issues. But none of that mattered to the full IOC when they overwhelmingly voted for 2016. If there's one candidate that could thwart Europe for 2024, it's South Africa. But not anyone else.

Apples and coconuts.

2012 was in Europe so of course Europe wasn't getting 2016.

Rio had failed bids for 2004 and 2012 so they paid some dues to the IOC for 2016. South Africa only had the one bid from Cape Town for 2004. It is a game of numbers, networks and realities.

Brazil's population: 200 million

Brazil's economy: 2,500 billion

Brazil's medal haul: 16 gold since 1992

Brazil at the Olympics: Only missed one since 1920

South Africa's population: 52 million

South Africa's economy:375 billion

South Africa's medal haul: 7 golds since 1992

South Africa at the Olympics: Banned between 1960 and 1992

Oh and history...the longest stretch between the Summer Games in Europe: 12 years.

Africa might have a shot at 2024, but it is a loooooooooong shot.

Ok back to Toronto

I am unhappy about the reasoning behind why Toronto will not bid, but happy with the result. Toronto bidding is throwing good money after bad. Instead of spending 100 million on a bid that will ultimately end in failure, it would be better spent on summer sport so that Canada can have more than 1 Olympic Champion.

Though this decision could send Canada's hopes of an Olympic Games back by 30 years if Calgary bids for 2026 now.

Is that the tact they would take now though? Throw in the towel for Toronto and instead try to beat the United States to the punch on the next Winter Olympic bid? I agree that puts the next Canadian Summer Olympics off for a long time, but is this just temporary with Toronto or might they come back for 2028?

IMO, it's much better than a long shot, but only if South Africa gets their act together. I never got the sense that the IOC was that desperate to get to South America in the way we've heard them talk about Africa. I know part of the bid and presentation was basically them showing a map, and yes they had prior bids at the 2007 Pan Ams to trumpet their 2016 bid, but I think South Africa has a better chance than you think. They realized that FIFA beat them there (and put on a fairly successful event) and now the IOC is going to want a piece of that too. They need SASCOC to cooperate of course and they'll still have to earn it, but I wouldn't hand it to Europe just yet.

And while I agree with the part that history tells us they've never gone more than 12 years between European Summer Olympics, up until a decade ago there were only 4 continents on the IOC's map to choose from (and 1 of those is Oceania which barely should count the same as the other 3). Now there's 5 plus a 6th potentially trying to get in on the action. At some point, even the Euro-centric IOC might pass over Europe 3 times over if the other candidates are out there. I don't think this will be it, but it would not surprise me in the least if it happened.

There are some cities that just don't have the Olympic feel to them and New York is one of them. Let me explain...because it is a wonderful city and I love it tremendously. But New York's combination of geography, culture, population, real estate, attitude, density, history, etc. just kind of forms a stew that makes it hard for them to host the Olympics. Other cities of Olympic caliber also have this affliction. Hong Kong. Singapore. And in a way, Istanbul. It doesn't mean it can't happen. They just have specific challenges that are harder to address than London or Sydney.

I'd reply to this in the USA thread, but since we're talking about anything but Toronto here and I'm somewhat lazy, my take as a life-long New Yorker..

The reaction to the 2012 loss was one of "we tried, no big deal, time to move on." I don't think there's a chip on New York's shoulder that there's never been an Olympics here, nor do I think (or the rest of the world, for that matter) that New York is a lesser city for it. The problem with regards to an Olympic bid is that the main part of this city is isolated on a 22 square mile island. I agree that Hong Kong and Singapore are somewhat similar in that regard. Wouldn't be impossible to put together an Olympic plan here, but there's just not that much open space in close proximity to the center of the city to make it appealing. I know other cities, such as London and Sydney, have made it work, but that's a tough sell in New York, a city with 9 teams in the 4 major sports leagues, and a lot of other events like the U.S. Open and Belmont Stakes that make it tough to sink a lot of time and money into an Olympic bid.

In my lifetime, I would absolutely love to see an Olympics in my city. But I'm not holding my breath that it's going to happen. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

It could've gone to Chicago or even Tokyo, though. Madrid wasn't the only city in the running for 2016, ya know

Rio had failed bids for 2004 and 2012 so they paid some dues to the IOC for 2016. South Africa only had the one bid from Cape Town for 2004. It is a game of numbers, networks and realities.

Let's keep in mind, though, that Brazil was using the argument of an entire continent for their plea. South America - less than 400 million. Africa - over one Billion. And China was also relatively new to the Olympic Movement when they were awarded the Games. As far as the economy, South Africa isn't going to spend the vast amounts that China & Russia have. And I'm sure the IOC knows this by now & isn't going to expect some grandiosity from the South Africans.

Oh and history...the longest stretch between the Summer Games in Europe: 12 years.

There's a first time for everything, though. Especially for a compelling story & pull like Africa.

Better get with some of those senior IOC members who don't share this sentiment then.

Apples and coconuts.

No its not. If well constructed, they will have it in the bag. It is one of few places that the IOC would part with its '12 year rule'. Besides - Europe is largely disinterested in the Olympics, we've just had our first back to back Asian Olympics awarded, so something has got to give.

A wait of 16 years is not unlikely for Europe at this point.

My personal feeling at this point is that all bets are off for 2024.

There's no telling who will or won't bid among the big three (Paris, Durban, US). All have a decent case to make. Any or all could decide not to bid. Especially if Europe gets 2022, I don't think they're assured of 2024. I don't think Durban is either. Nor is the US.

Anything could happen. It's too murky right now for me to prognosticate.

My personal feeling at this point is that all bets are off for 2024.

There's no telling who will or won't bid among the big three (Paris, Durban, US). All have a decent case to make. Any or all could decide not to bid. Especially if Europe gets 2022, I don't think they're assured of 2024. I don't think Durban is either. Nor is the US.

Anything could happen. It's too murky right now for me to prognosticate.

Europe will get 2022, they won't go back to back to back for Asia

If Toronto doesn't bids maybe a sign Europe is likelly o land the Olympics. Only South Africa could stop it.

If only South Africa can stop Europe from winning, what difference does it make if Toronto doesn't bid? And it's no longer a matter of 'if' now they they stated that they are, in fact, not bidding.

If only South Africa can stop Europe from winning, what difference does it make if Toronto doesn't bid? And it's no longer a matter of 'if' now they they stated that they are, in fact, not bidding.

Toronto would have been a strong contender. I didn't expressed well I guess.

Ignorning the politics, Rio is a vastly strongly bid than Durban.

If Toronto doesn't bids maybe a sign Europe is likelly o land the Olympics. Only South Africa could stop it.[/quote

I believe that usa's bid will be ten times better than durbans bid.

If Toronto doesn't bids maybe a sign Europe is likelly o land the Olympics. Only South Africa could stop it.

USA's bid will be ten times stronger than durbans and maybe stronger than Paris.

USA's bid will be ten times stronger than durbans and maybe stronger than Paris.

And you base that on.. what? Tell us, what city is it that's going to bid that will be that strong?

LA can certainly contend for a very strong bid along with New York and Chicago but those two aren't biding. I believe that LAs bus will be strong along with San Francisco's or DCs maybe. Based on what do you think will make their bid weak

The South Africans will have to have a near perfect bid, but if there is even a glimmer of doubt--and there is much that could do that--they will lose to a more secure bid from Europe or even the United States. South Africa would be the smallest economy since Greece in 2004 to host the Games.

Even with their economies in a 'shambles' most of Western Europe and the United States is still richer than South Africa. There are 8 to 14 US states that are richer than or comparable to the whole of South Africa.

Putting a check mark over the black ring is not enough reason to give full out support to South Africa. Not yet, anyway.

Give them some bid experience, some time to grow their economy, settle some problems and wear out the competitors and then they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I believe their window of opportunity is about 8 to 20 years after 2024.

So do tell, Kenadian. Who was the South African lady friend that broke your heart. Was it Kendra. :D

But seriously, considering how virtually all bidders rarely have a "near perfect bid", it's gonna come down to the narrative, as usual. Do you honestly think that any of the 2024 U.S. prospects (be it L.A., Boston, Dallas or Philadelphia) won't have any major issues of their own. And with California with deep economic issues of their own (which IMO, would be the USOC's pick outta those four anyway, if they decide to bid), they'd also have to come up with one stellar bid to convince those fastidious IOC members to return there for a third time. And I'm not sure that L.A. could, unless they wanna propose an ala London 2012 plan, which I'm not that convinced that they would or even could). And even if it's not LA, does the IOC really wanna return to yet another second-tier U.S. like Dallas, Boston, or Philadelphia after their less than lukewarm experience with Atlanta. A very tough sell there.

And as far as Europe goes, many are already questioning Rome's credentials considering their withdrawal for 2020. "What has really changed four years later. Are those negative now gone" is what seems to come up. And is Germany gonna step up to the plate with Hamburg (or Berlin) after they rejected Munich 2022. And Russia ain't getting 2024. Not with Sochi 2014 giving the IOC major headaches.

And Greece, well, their economy is even smaller than South Africa's. Plus, it's been fairly noted already that it wasn't the Athens 2004 Olympics that sent Greece into an economic tailspin. The Olympics were a drop in the ocean in their economic basket case. Their economics troubles were well in the making already. Plus, their laidback approach & waiting 'til the very last possible moment to start preperations, which got them seriously behind schedule, is what also brought them extra Olympic expensives, trying to rush everything at the last minute.

And really, putting the thumb-tack on the final ring isn't enough? Worked for Rio for putting it on the second to last ring. Granted, the bid has to be feasible. The IOC knows this already, & their not simply gonna hand over the Games to the South Africans. And it's probably why they refrained from bidding for 2020, they didn't feel like they had all their ducks in a row. If not, then the IOC will go to Paris or maybe Rome. But the only way it's gonna be another eight to twenty years is if the South Africans don't bid. With all the rhetoric coming from Lausaunne (& elsewhere in the sporting world) that an African Olympics should be on the agenda sooner rather than later, I seriously doubt that they'll turn their backs as easily as you're suggesting on a credible South African bid.

Ignorning the politics, Rio is a vastly strongly bid than Durban.

How do you figure? Durban already has the Olympic stadium & a sports precinct for other sports. A new airport that would be expanded in the future. Rio's competitors had a "vastly stronger bid", but that didn't matter. What did is that the IOC thought that it could still work. The same can apply to Durban, too. Besides, you can't really "ignore" the politics. Otherwise, we never would've seen Beijing 2008 or soon to be Sochi 2014. The Olympics & politics go hand in hand, no matter how much the IOC (& anyone else) would like to deny it.

Archived