The Next IOC President

Nemo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well usually, he is very good informed and the author of two books giving an insight on the IOC and its buisnesses.

I dont know either waht to think about the ABB theory but there are some rumors, that Bach was on the"hunt" for IOC members who did not vote for Munich in 2011.

True or not: the manifestos are woth reading!

Most interesting part of the article

People who want to invest money and make a good profit with London bookies or more dubious Asian online gamblers, should focus on these bets:

• On 7th September Madrid will be awarded the Olympic Games 2020.
  • On 10th September Thomas Bach will be elected as the new IOC president, supported by its Arab partners, above all by Sheikh Al-Sabah.

This is the most likely scenario.

Article starts out interestingly...but I think it spun out of control in the 2nd half. Am not sure about the Sheikh influencing the voting and bringing the votes for Madrid in order to pave the way for Doha/Dubai. And so Winter 2028 can go to St.Petersburg (just 14 years after Sochi??? :blink::blink: First, it says that Bach and the Sheikh had a heated argument in Lausanne over a week ago; but then Jens ends by saying that Bach will nonetheless win the vote in BA?? Some things don't line up. ANd I believe Buenos Aires won NOT BECUZ of the Sheik's influence...but becuz it would have been embarassing to the IOC if they convened in a city that they had just slapped down. BA's lobbyists w/in the IOC played that angle.

I believe the parts about Putin, etc. (altho w/ the several world championships slated for Russia, 2014 and the WC in 2018, the author forgot that Russia belatedly acquired the Miss Universe pageant in NOVEMBER for Moscow!* I don't know that the whole IOC collective body would give St. Petersburg a serious chance for 2028. Chinese and US influence to w/in the IOC seem to be on the rise. SUmming up, I think that only the first half of the article is credible.

*That is the most northerly location yet for a major int'l beauty pageant and already going into late fall. I don't know how their swimsuit sponsor would take that--since it's already late in the season for the swimsuit manufacturer to be selling bikinis for the summer (altho the show does have a huge following in So. America).

From the article:

At his side as chief ethicist of the International Judo Federation, according to the IJF website, is a person named “Mr. Sheika Nema Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah”.

“Mr. Sheika” sounds a bit strange. A topic to be researched. Maybe just a typo. Surely just another coincidence.

Shikha is right the wrong with Mr it should be Mrs

Naima Al- Ahmad Al-Sabah
Ahmad Al-Fahad aunt

she is known for her support for women's sports in the Arabian gulf states and her sports activities.

and yes she is a member in the ethics commission of the International Judo Federation

423131-513x340.jpg

and I agree with Baron about the Doha 2024 and St.Petersburg 2028 part.

Lets not forget it was Mr. Sheika Nema Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah who got BA the 2018 Youth Games

No. Mrs Naima Al Sabah has no relation with the IOC
her nephew Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah has

191211.jpg

according to the same article:

Sheikh Al-Sabah has favored the Olympic Youth Games in Buenos Aires. Why? Because his ally Alejandro Blanco, head of Madrid’s Olympic bid for 2020, was interested in Buenos Aires and has worked for Argentina. Many of those who voted for Buenos Aires, will be voting for Madrid 2020 on 7th September at the IOC Session.

according to the same article:

."Many of those who voted for Buenos Aires, will be voting for Madrid 2020 on 7th September at the IOC Session."

Hmmmmm. Oh really? And how does the author know this? Maybe some members voted for BA now to discharge their debts. I cannot see many members trading their important big O vote for the smaller YOG vote. Outside of the Latin American votes and maybe 1/3rd of the Euro votes, I cannot see Madrid attracting more. Besides, some commitments might only be for the 1st round...or just 2nd round votes. That is extremely specious.

^Agreed.

Article starts out interestingly...but I think it spun out of control in the 2nd half. Am not sure about the Sheikh influencing the voting and bringing the votes for Madrid in order to pave the way for Doha/Dubai.

Especially when Dubai just announced last week that they're not bidding for 2024. And who's to say that the Executive Board won't be ready to toss Doha out the door for a third consecutive time, in favor for yet another much more compelling option. Not to mention where could Morocco register in all of this. I'm sure having another Olympics, only a few hundred miles to the south, won't be that attractive even if it does happen to be technically in "Africa".

Article starts out interestingly...but I think it spun out of control in the 2nd half.

I think that's the problem I had with it. It started out all very good, and all very convincing, then took a real turn into Andrew Jennings territory with all the Russian-Gulf State conspiracy stuff. Maybe there's a germ of truth, but just like with a lot of Jenning's exposes, it just seemed to stray too far into looking for mud to throw.

So the upshot is that all major decisions in the IOC are made by Putin, together with the Sheikh, with the aim of getting the Games to Doha/Dubai as soon as possible? Very disturbing if true.

No. It's not that they are made by those 2...but seemingly, they appear to be very instrumental in major decisions the IOC arrives at. As for Russia, I think it's only because the stars are lining up for them to host many things now. I mean during the communist years, the only major events they hosted were the 1980 Summer Olympics (well,and 2 editions of the Goodwill Games).

I find Baron's argument about BA strange. Of course the IOC can meet in a city they just rejected as host. That's the world of sport. Losing happens.

I don't know about Sheikh's influence, but I do not believe that the IOC felt compelled to choose BA just because of the upcoming session.

• 4 weeks later...

Pole vault star Sergei Bubka targets youth and cheats in presidential bid for International Olympic Committee

07/08 20:46 CET
The former Olympic champion, 49, will be the youngest candidate at the election, due to take place in Buenos Aires on September 10.
Bubka – who has experience with the Olympic movement, and in business and politics – says he is a natural leader.
He has vowed, if elected, to prioritise engaging youngsters in sport and fighting match-fixing and doping.
Euronews met Bubka after his visit to Ukraine’s Olympic training base in Kiev.
Angelina Kariakina, euronews, said: “Why did you decide to run for the President of the IOC and what changes would you like to bring into the world of Olympics?”
Sergei Bubka said: “Sports and the Olympic movement is my life, I’m the president of the National Olympic Committee of Ukraine, IOC member and vice-president of International Association of Athletics Federations.
“I was an athlete before and after I became a sport administrator, I developed my business and I think all these experiences will really help me to take leadership of the IOC.
“But most importantly I think I have energy, passion, drive and great experience.
“We have a lot of challenges today with our youth, and we need to engage youth to be more active, more physical, more sporty, to improve their health. Because today they watch TV, they sit in front of computer. If we engage them then we will not lose the generation.
“And, of course, we need to fight against doping and irregular betting and match-fixing – this is a very important area, where we can strengthen our position, we can unite different partners to be stronger and to be more successful.”
AK: “In the times of austerity what do you make of the fact that each time the Olympics get more and more expensive?”
SB: “They are not more expensive, you can put expenses in two parts – the operational part of the Games, this is real cost, but the other cost, regarding infrastructure is not only for the Games, this is for the future.
“And when you build the roads, airports and the different venues they will become the legacy after the Games.
“Of course, we will not exaggerate, we need to keep costs reasonable. We need to select the venues which will reduce the costs.
“The number of athletes should be around 10,500, we shouldn’t extend this and bring any additional costs.”
AK: “Among the three bids to host the Olympics in 2020, who has the best chances and why?”
SB: “If we look at Madrid – it has almost 80% of the venues already done.
“If we look at Istanbul, their programme is for youth and to connect Asia and Europe. This is very good.
“Tokyo has always had a big passion for the Olympics and sports and, of course, they organise the competition very well.
“Each city has its own strengths and own values, but I’d like to repeat that they are really good and we’ll see who will be the winner very soon”
AK: “How do you feel about the fact that nobody can still beat your world record?”
SB: “I think it will happen soon. Today we have a French pole vaulter, Renaud Lavillenie, who’s recently reached 6.02m.
“He tried to break my record and I think he’s very capable.
“The key for success and progress with pole vault will be technical skill: you need to be fast, you need to be strong, to be a good gymnast and very stable psychologically.
“But the key is how you transfer the energy from the runway to the pole.
“But this is technical skill, this is the key.”

Wu may be onto a vote-winner (and I do think he has a strong case):

Olympic bid city visits are absolutely necessary, says IOC Presidential candidate Wu

International Olympic Committee (IOC) Presidential candidate C K Wu has said here today that member visits to Olympic bidding cities are "absolutely necessary" and something he would reintroduce if he replaces Jacques Rogge next month.

The 66-year-old Taiwanese President of the International Boxing Association (AIBA) explained that bid city visits would allow IOC members, who he says are "very limited", play a bigger role in the organisation's future.

"The IOC members coming to the session once a year is their most important meeting," he said.

"They have been assigned to different commissions based on their backgrounds so that is another meeting.

"Apart from this the position of the IOC member in the country is very limited.

"So I propose that in the selection of Olympic [host] cities, the visit to the city is absolutely important.

"We used to have the visit of the bidding city but it was stopped after the Salt Lake City issue.

"Now I ask the losers 'why did you lose?'.

"They say 'We do not know, you tell me, how could you not see me and then you decide it'.

"This is totally difficult to understand.

"The IOC members have to come to see the cities.

"So my proposal is to visit the bidding cities.

"It is absolutely necessary.

"The cost will be borne by the IOC.

"The visits will be three to four months before the election.

"Group visits can be organised, the member can choose the timing they want to visit then they will visit."

Olympic bid city visits were once common practice, however they were stopped in the wake of the 2002 Salt Lake City bid scandal, in which several IOC members were accused of taking bribes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars during the bidding process.

Ultimately, ten members were expelled from the IOC – the first ever members to be kicked out for corruption – and a further ten sanctioned in what is still today the worst scandal in the history of the Olympic Movement.

However, Wu insists the reintroduction of bid city visits would be no cause for concern as the past will now serve as warning to IOC members.

"If somebody wants to bribe, why would they wait for you to come to bribe you?" he said.

"They can bribe anytime.

"IOC members should learn from what happened in the past.

"Nobody wants to put themselves in that situation."

Insidethegames

So Rogge will announce 2020?

Yes, becuz that is the first item on the agenda...it takes place on Sept 7. I believe the election of the new president happens on 9/10...so the new president won't really even preside over anything until the IOC meets again in February in Sochi...IF they proceed with those Games.

Archived