USA 2024

Athensfan

FYI and Quaker, I regard you as the Bobsey twins, consistently backing each other up.

You guys have created a fantasy persona for me and then you have fun criticizing it. Neither of you will ever "eat crow" as you say, because this last story about cities keeping their conversations confidential was a perfect opportunity to do so and you both refused. You twist words, reinvent history, reinvent me and make pleasant conversation impossible. I'm done reading your posts. Moving on.

01-pot-calls-kettle-black.jpg?w=800

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tulsa actually bid for the Olympics...they will be the laughing stock of the whole process.

For the joint bid between Tijuana - San Diego; that's not going to happen. I don't think the IOC will allow two countries to host the games.

dchang11 -- been there, done that. For 1976, the actual Bicentennial, the IOC gave the US the right to host the 12th WOG as a Bicentennial gift. But the 'gifted' city had a sudden case of imbecility and sent the gift back to the IOC. Philadelphia and Miami were supposed to host 2 concurrent World's Fairs: Philly would've been the Int'l one, and Miami was to host one for the Americas. NOTHING came of all 3 efforts. I'd be very surprised if anything turned out for the 250th birthday bash. Perhaps the XXVIth WOGs and World Cup 2026?? None of that will fall into place until 2018-19. Still another 6 years down the road.

True.....its just an idea. XXVth Winter Olympic Games and 2026 FIFA World Cup is a great alternative. we'll just have to wait and see.

Getting the Olympics back to the United States is not about need. For better or worse, NBC (not to mention their viewers) made it clear that the location of the Olympics doesn't affect their bottom line. At least that's what their 2014-2020 bid implies. I've always said that if the money coming from American television ever dries up that the IOC wouldn't be able to return here quick enough to try and line their pockets again. But that's a long ways off.

Sure there are some big names due to retire, but new ones will come along. Maybe not as dynamic and successful as a Phelps or a Bolt, but there's usually no lack of compelling storylines when it comes to an Olympics.

In terms of finding a host city though, it has to work for both parties involved. Los Angeles did that. Atlanta made it work even that it was the best pick of a weak field. Salt Lake made it work. Easier said than done to find a city with the resources and the desire to host an Olympics. And to offer up corporate sponsors.. be careful with that since it was an American city that is negatively remembered for doing just that.

Good point. the problem is NBC does tape delay. with twitter and online streaming these days, it can hurt viewership cuz most of the ad revenue is from primetime coverage. Sochi (Tape Delay) Rio (LIVE-East Coast) Pyoengchang (LIVE-ski only)...if NBC loses money like Vancouver (which was live coverage) who else is going to step up after 2020? NBC won't bid if viewership goes down.

Corporate sponsorship is part of American culture. Each Olympics demonstrates some cultural aspects of the host city. This is ours. It might be criticized like Altanta, but the Olympics is focused on the athletes and the fans waving the flags.

Good point. the problem is NBC does tape delay. with twitter and online streaming these days, it can hurt viewership cuz most of the ad revenue is from primetime coverage. Sochi (Tape Delay) Rio (LIVE-East Coast) Pyoengchang (LIVE-ski only)...if NBC loses money like Vancouver (which was live coverage) who else is going to step up after 2020? NBC won't bid if viewership goes down.

Corporate sponsorship is part of American culture. Each Olympics demonstrates some cultural aspects of the host city. This is ours. It might be criticized like Altanta, but the Olympics is focused on the athletes and the fans waving the flags.

Ahh yes, the old Twitter/online streaming argument. Remember though.. NBC lost a ton of money on Vancouver and was expected to do the same with London. But they broke even, which might as well have been a big win for them. The ratings for London were HIGHER than they were for Beijing despite the primetime show from Beijing being live. Of course, remains to be seen what happens with these next 4 Olympics which NBC grossly over-bid for. I think it's a little premature to assume though that NBC can't make it work. And keep in mind about Pyoengchang.. it probably won't just be the skiing that's live. Don't use Nagano 1998 as the template. You know NBC will fight to get anything and everything they can during their primetime window. I'm sure they'll have more than just skiing.

Ahh yes, the old Twitter/online streaming argument. Remember though.. NBC lost a ton of money on Vancouver and was expected to do the same with London. But they broke even, which might as well have been a big win for them. The ratings for London were HIGHER than they were for Beijing despite the primetime show from Beijing being live. Of course, remains to be seen what happens with these next 4 Olympics which NBC grossly over-bid for. I think it's a little premature to assume though that NBC can't make it work. And keep in mind about Pyoengchang.. it probably won't just be the skiing that's live. Don't use Nagano 1998 as the template. You know NBC will fight to get anything and everything they can during their primetime window. I'm sure they'll have more than just skiing.

True, we just have to see what happens. It's a year by year basis. Pyoengchang might have all mountain events (snowboarding and ski) in the morning because that's when the snow conditions are good, allowing for LIVE primetime window in the United States if they don't install lighting for halfpipe, sliding, and ski/board cross. short-track could be in consideration, but figure skating no way. there was a poll during London that many don't mind tape delay...they rather have the events shown LIVE on one of their networks and re-broadcast them again on primetime as part of a recap/(as if it was live) show. sochi's coverage is going to be similar to London. the only problem is going to be the hockey competitions. if the United States has a big game against Russia or Canada in group play, its going to be part of early-afternoon coverage (nighttime Russia). if its during knockout play...nbc might have some control. there are not going to change the start time for the gold medal game...cuz its hours before the closing ceremony. the problem for the gold medal game is that it draws the highest ratings during the games if the USA plays.

When I think about the United States of bidding to host the Olympics in 2024, 2026, and 2028...its possible it could happen. Since the 2026 Winter Olympics coincide with the 250th Anniversary Celebrations, the US could have a big chance in winning the bid. 2024 and 2028 are feasible...cuz the only countries with cities in North America capable of hosting is Mexico, Canada, and the United States. Mexico City, Montreal, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Atlanta hosted the games before. I'm not sure if Mexico is interested in hosting again and Vancouver hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. It also looks like the IOC wants to "rotate continents" in hosting the Olympics if the bids are feasible. Canada has Toronto in consideration and they can put together a quality bid. For the United States, I think these cities should consider to bid:

1. New York has a diverse population with many ethnic neighborhoods. The outlying region has numerous sports venues because of their professional sports teams with the Prudential Center, Madison Square Garden, Meadowlands Stadium, Izod Center, Nassau Coliseum, Barclays Center, and Arthur Ashe Stadium. The city also bid for the 2012 Olympics and use the proposed plan to start off. The biggest problem is transportation and the city needs to expand their highway and subway system. For the Olympic Stadium, they could build it If New York plans the bid with proper planning, they can succeed and win either a 2024 and 2028.

2. Los Angeles already hosted the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympics. Most of the venues are still there and need a little facelift. The only problem is the Olympic Village. They could use USC and UCLA dormitories but I think it should be newly constructed to please the athletes. Los Angeles should really consider in hosting for a third time.

3. Chicago planned an excellent bid for 2016 and they can use the proposed layout to consider a 2024 bid. The only issue is their crime rate. Rio might be worse, but its something they need to look over. It's central location in the United States is great of North American coverage. The reason Chicago lost was the lack of pride on the national level. If they did, Chicago would have been a finalist.

4. Philadelphia should really consider bidding for the Olympics. They have a large sports complex in south philly and the area needs a facelift. if it was redeveloped as the Olympic park, it can fit the Olympic village and 65% of the venues easily. after the games, some of the small venues could be turned into community centers and the swimming venue could be converted into a neighborhood water park.

5. Denver should be considering a 2026 Winter Olympic bid. They have the infrastructure....but the only thing needed is building the venues. Most of them could be temporary. Colorado Springs is an hour away outside the city and the US Olympic Training Center is headquartered there. Breckinridge can host the mountain events, although Aspen is the logical choice. The only problem is Aspen is three hours from Denver while Breckenridge is one hour. Denver should really consider in bidding.

Chicago said months ago in no uncertain terms that they will not bid.

Chicago did not lose because of "lack of pride at the national level." The president attended the IOC session and much of the country tuned in for the announcement.

Chicago lost because a.) the IOC wanted to go to South America, because b.) relations between the USOC and the IOC were abysmal at the time and because c.) it was still too soon after Atlanta.

True, we just have to see what happens. It's a year by year basis. Pyoengchang might have all mountain events (snowboarding and ski) in the morning because that's when the snow conditions are good, allowing for LIVE primetime window in the United States if they don't install lighting for halfpipe, sliding, and ski/board cross. short-track could be in consideration, but figure skating no way. there was a poll during London that many don't mind tape delay...they rather have the events shown LIVE on one of their networks and re-broadcast them again on primetime as part of a recap/(as if it was live) show. sochi's coverage is going to be similar to London. the only problem is going to be the hockey competitions. if the United States has a big game against Russia or Canada in group play, its going to be part of early-afternoon coverage (nighttime Russia). if its during knockout play...nbc might have some control. there are not going to change the start time for the gold medal game...cuz its hours before the closing ceremony. the problem for the gold medal game is that it draws the highest ratings during the games if the USA plays.

We might see NBC shift from figure skating to alpine skiing as its "crown jewel" over the next couple of games, with more live and primetime coverage of that sport. I say this because alpine skiing is clearly the United States' strongest winter sports atm (Vonn, Mancuso, Ligety, Shifrrin, i think Bode will be back this year). NBC has also moved their biggest play-by-play guy in Dan Hicks from speed skating to alpine skiing, which also proves that they want to have a very familiar face on their alpine coverage.

^I shouldn't say alpine is their definitive strongest sport. The US is also very strong in snowboarding and freestyle.

What people say they want from Olympic coverage doesn't always go along with what they'll actually do. NBC isn't about to show their best stuff live and then reduce primetime to a recap/highlights show. That's not what advertisers are going to buy into.

In terms of PC.. it remains to be seen how much pull NBC has in terms of affecting the schedule. This is a new one for them on a Winter Olympics. CBS got some concessions in Nagano, mostly from the hockey schedule. But this is NBC who fought to get swimming in the morning in Beijing as well as gymnastics. So very little would surprise me in terms of how much influence they have for 2018.

With Sochi, the time difference will present some issues since it's 9 hours to the East coast (or is it 8.. I know there's been talk about what to do with Russia's time zone during the Olympics) as opposed to 5 hours from London. The time slots for the hockey games are 3am ET, 7:30am ET, and Noon ET. I'm sure NBC will try and get team USA in as many of those Noon slots as possible and especially if it's the weekend, those may wind up on NBC. The gold medal game is at 7am ET on that final Sunday. Obviously not ideal, but it's only an hour early than the final from Torino. Again, no way to get the more favorable start time they had for the Vancouver final, so nothing they can do there.

We might see NBC shift from figure skating to alpine skiing as its "crown jewel" over the next couple of games, with more live and primetime coverage of that sport. I say this because alpine skiing is clearly the United States' strongest winter sports atm (Vonn, Mancuso, Ligety, Shifrrin, i think Bode will be back this year). NBC has also moved their biggest play-by-play guy in Dan Hicks from speed skating to alpine skiing, which also proves that they want to have a very familiar face on their alpine coverage.

^I shouldn't say alpine is their definitive strongest sport. The US is also very strong in snowboarding and freestyle.

Figure skating still plays to the coveted female demographic though. Plus it gets more favorable coverage in non-Olympic years, although the sport's popularity does seem to be waning somewhat. Alpine will get plenty of primetime exposure from Sochi without a doubt, but they've got a ways to go before they are in the conversation with figure skating as the big ticket primetime sport. Now from PC, depending on what gets shown live, it may be a different story.

What people say they want from Olympic coverage doesn't always go along with what they'll actually do. NBC isn't about to show their best stuff live and then reduce primetime to a recap/highlights show. That's not what advertisers are going to buy into.

In terms of PC.. it remains to be seen how much pull NBC has in terms of affecting the schedule. This is a new one for them on a Winter Olympics. CBS got some concessions in Nagano, mostly from the hockey schedule. But this is NBC who fought to get swimming in the morning in Beijing as well as gymnastics. So very little would surprise me in terms of how much influence they have for 2018.

With Sochi, the time difference will present some issues since it's 9 hours to the East coast (or is it 8.. I know there's been talk about what to do with Russia's time zone during the Olympics) as opposed to 5 hours from London. The time slots for the hockey games are 3am ET, 7:30am ET, and Noon ET. I'm sure NBC will try and get team USA in as many of those Noon slots as possible and especially if it's the weekend, those may wind up on NBC. The gold medal game is at 7am ET on that final Sunday. Obviously not ideal, but it's only an hour early than the final from Torino. Again, no way to get the more favorable start time they had for the Vancouver final, so nothing they can do there.

NBC also had a lot of incluence in Vancouver too. They asked for all US men's hockey games to be scheduled at noon/early afternoon, so that other events like figure skating could be focused upon in primetime. Obviously, the Canada/USA round robin game was an exception.

NBC also had a lot of incluence in Vancouver too. They asked for all US men's hockey games to be scheduled at noon/early afternoon, so that other events like figure skating could be focused upon in primetime. Obviously, the Canada/USA round robin game was an exception.

Ditto for Torino.. they got all of the USA hockey games exactly where they wanted them. Although they've got nothing on CBS who set the start times of most of the hockey schedule, USA games or otherwise, to fit around their programming schedule. The general rule of thumb is that for team sports (hockey and basketball most notably), the host country will get the start times they want (if they care.. and Russia obviously cares about hockey) and then NBC can get what they want. There's not a doubt in my mind they wanted the Canada/USA round robin game in the afternoon, but Canada wanted the game in primetime, so they won that battle.

Again, no idea how much the Russians will care about start times for their games. I have to imagine they'll want the USA game late, so that will certainly suit NBC. The scheduling is a little different from Vancouver though in that there are 4 games per day through most of the preliminary round and 2 games played concurrently in the Noon ET slot (which will make for some serious scheduling headaches for NBC). We shall see. So long as none of the USA games get buried at 3am ET, as an East coaster I could live with 7:30am. And obviously Noon is ideal

Ditto for Torino.. they got all of the USA hockey games exactly where they wanted them. Although they've got nothing on CBS who set the start times of most of the hockey schedule, USA games or otherwise, to fit around their programming schedule. The general rule of thumb is that for team sports (hockey and basketball most notably), the host country will get the start times they want (if they care.. and Russia obviously cares about hockey) and then NBC can get what they want. There's not a doubt in my mind they wanted the Canada/USA round robin game in the afternoon, but Canada wanted the game in primetime, so they won that battle.

Again, no idea how much the Russians will care about start times for their games. I have to imagine they'll want the USA game late, so that will certainly suit NBC. The scheduling is a little different from Vancouver though in that there are 4 games per day through most of the preliminary round and 2 games played concurrently in the Noon ET slot (which will make for some serious scheduling headaches for NBC). We shall see. So long as none of the USA games get buried at 3am ET, as an East coaster I could live with 7:30am. And obviously Noon is ideal

Where do you think CBC fit into this? Do they get any say in the scheduling of Canada's games?

NOT going to happen. Figure Skating will always be the Crown Jewel of Winter telecasts. Dan Hicks, much as I like him, was NEVER a factor in making figure skating coverage special or not.

How can u compare Alpine skiing to Figure Skating? Where are the sequins and the make-up of alpine skiers? They're all bundled up in helmets. Not going to happen.

NOT going to happen. Figure Skating will always be the Crown Jewel of Winter telecasts. Dan Hicks, much as I like him, was NEVER a factor in making figure skating coverage special or not.

How can u compare Alpine skiing to Figure Skating? Where are the sequins and the make-up of alpine skiers? They're all bundled up in helmets. Not going to happen.

Then explain to me why Lindsay Vonn is the one all over television and the tabloids, and not some figure skaters.

No figure skating is on a down swing + relatively boring to watch. Its peak is long gone.

No figure skating is on a down swing + relatively boring to watch. Its peak is long gone.

You've got that right. NBC devoted an entire primetime studio show every night during the games to figure skating in Torino. Now, the world champs barely get any coverage in the US. If there is a sport that is on the up swing in the States, its alpine skiing.

Then explain to me why Lindsay Vonn is the one all over television and the tabloids, and not some figure skaters.

Do you really need us to explain that to you? Pretty sure that Lindsey Vonn being in the tabloids recently has little to do with her and what she does for a living and a lot more to do with the guy she's dating (and who he does for a living :D)

You've got that right. NBC devoted an entire primetime studio show every night during the games to figure skating in Torino. Now, the world champs barely get any coverage in the US. If there is a sport that is on the up swing in the States, its alpine skiing.

And when was the last time you saw serious coverage of alpine skiing in this country? I know they did the FIS World Championships recently which got a lot of coverage and alpine skiing is a top draw at the Olympics for NBC, but it's not Olympic figure skating. Even if coverage and popularity is waning, that's still going to be a top draw to the female-skewing Olympic audience (which of course includes baron as well). Alpine skiing may be moving up and figure skating down, but I think it's premature to say alpine skiing is up on that level when it's only a few names and faces that are big draws. Without them, how many people would be into the sport

Gracie Gold will be become America's next sweetheart.

Exactly...and I don't know if she can peak for Sochi (I think it's too soon; 2018 might be more her time). Sochi will still be the Return bout between the Canadian Vice-and-Virtue and Davis-White in Ice Dance....and that new Team Event.

Because there's nobody else. And they need another face...for now. But wait Winter time again.

Once again I feel I need to ask because I know the crowd here.. please tell me you all know the actual reason Lindsey Vonn has been in the news lately? It's not about her skiing (which she obviously hasn't done any since the injury), not about the Olympics, not about NBC. Did anyone actually read the articles or pay attention to the story? Perhaps you've noticed who she's dating the days. Perhaps that is the bigger story than her skiing career.

As someone who follows Olympic sports and prospective Olympians, now I'll play naive.. literally have never heard that name before and had to look her up online to find out who she is.

I agree. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the US I think it's the result of poorly performing skaters and very little air time on tv. There's no Debi Thomas, no Tonya/Nancy, no Michelle/Tara/Sarah drama. The truth is that the women always drove interest in the sport. While Kim Yu Na and Mao Asada are great talents, they're not magnetic personalities or part of a soap opera on ice. And, sad but true, they're not Americans. I greatly admire their achievements, but I understand why they're not a huge draw for the broader American public.

Once again I feel I need to ask because I know the crowd here.. please tell me you all know the actual reason Lindsey Vonn has been in the news lately? It's not about her skiing (which she obviously hasn't done any since the injury), not about the Olympics, not about NBC. Did anyone actually read the articles or pay attention to the story? Perhaps you've noticed who she's dating the days. Perhaps that is the bigger story than her skiing career.

Of course we know why she had been in the news lately. However her injury was also a major story, in addition to her dating Tiger. It's not as if she suddenly appeared in the news because of these events. She was just as famous before. This is someone who was listed in Time's 100 most influential people, appeared in SI Swimsuit Edition, and has been on late night talk shows,etc.

No, it will be Mikaela Shriffrin. She is the Missy Franklin of this US team. Unlike Gold, Shifrrin will actually win medals in Sochi. My whole point about the alpine skiing vs. figure skating debate is that America is much better in alpine. Does it not make sense for people's interest to shift from the sport which America dominates, as opposed to a sport which has few American contenders.?

Archived