London 2012 test events

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ? is where are the paddocks? They must've built a whole new paddocks complex where to billet the horses and the grooms.

All of that is located in the northwest corner of the park; just to the left of the actual arena.

Its good they do test events to iron issues out. The judges have already complained their view is obstructed by pillars in their viewing window so that will now be a big long window. That seems kinda obvious to me but I guess stuff gets over looked

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that makes me mad about those protesters is Greenwich Park was created as a hunting ground for Henry 8th anyway. It had horses galloping all over the place, so if they actually want to preserve it in its natural state it should be used day in day out by horses.

Whilst other parts of London were being cleared up, and a few hundred yards away the PM was making a statement about 16,000 police being deployed last night, this was going on:

article-2024186-0D5D89A300000578-569_634x406.jpg

Must be a funny feeling putting up a 'temp' venue but with very scant attendance.

Aljazeera doing a story on 'skimpy' (female) beach volleyball? I mean half its markets would NOT carry that story now, would it?

Aljazeera doing a story on 'skimpy' (female) beach volleyball? I mean half its markets would NOT carry that story now, would it?

That irony did cross my mind as well, not that I was focussing on that aspect at all when I was watching that video :unsure:

:mellow:

One of the money shots:

horse-guards-parade-ready-for-beach-volleyball-action-77344.jpg

Nice to see all the support facilities in place. But my guess too, is they didn't put up the full 15,000 seat bleachers for this test event...which of course is only common sense. Nice too that LOCOG found this nice space almost in the heart of the city as they did with Greenwich for the Equestrian.

Marathon swimming on Saturday

London 2012 Marathon Swimming test event open to the public

The public will get the chance to watch world class swimmers, including a number of world and Olympic medallists at the London 10km Marathon Swimming International in Hyde Park this Saturday 13 August, part of the London Prepares Series and a test event for London 2012 Olympic Games.

The event, free for anyone to watch, takes place in the Serpentine inside Hyde Park and will feature some of the world's best marathon swimmers including the bronze medallist from Beijing 2008, German Thomas Lurz and the 10km gold medalist from the recent FINA World Champions in Shanghai, Spyridon Gianniotis (GRE), who was born in Liverpool.

http://www.london2012.com/press/media-releases/2011/08/london-2012-marathon-swimming-test-event-open-to-the-pub.php

Britain's Mark Cavendish won the London 2012 road race test event to lay down a marker for Olympic gold next year.

Manxman Cavendish, who won this year's Tour de France points green jersey, completed the 87-mile course around London and Surrey in three hours, 18 minutes and 11 seconds.

"The crowd were incredible the whole way," Cavendish, 26, told BBC Sport.

"You can't get a sense of how the 2012 race will go, but you can get a feel for this course and the route is good."

The one-off race, dubbed the London-Surrey Cycle Classic, began on The Mall and took in two ascents of the signature Box Hill climb in Surrey, as well as venturing through Hampton Court Palace, Walton-on-Thames, Guildford and Dorking.

Cavendish emerged from a tightly knit pack to take the win - back on The Mall once more - ahead of Italy's Sacha Modolo and France's Samuel Dumoulin.

"It's going to be a bit nervy [in 2012]," said Cavendish.

"There are a lot of roundabouts which make me nervous with a big bunch of guys, but it's a nice course."

This year's route is shorter than the one the men will tackle at the London Olympics.

In 2012, seven more large loops will extend the men's race to a distance of 155 miles (250km), while the women's race distance will remain 87 miles (140km).

"When it settled down, we started to make the tempo [in the peloton]," said Cavendish, referring to himself and his four GB team-mates.

"But I said before the race, we're not going to get a realistic sense of how the Olympic road race will go.

"Two laps is a lot different to nine laps, which is always going to be hard, but [next year] I'll prepare specifically for that before the Tour de France."

An announcement on Cavendish's new trade team, widely believed to be Team Sky - run by British Cycling chief Dave Brailsford - is due imminently.

article-0-0D6CDC9700000578-317_468x286.jpg

article-2025871-0D6D574700000578-890_468x286.jpg

_54594802_boxhill.jpg

Italy's Martina Grimaldi won the first swim test event for the 2012 London Olympics on Saturday in a 10-kilometer race in Hyde Park's Serpentine.

A month after taking silver at the same distance at the world championships in Shanghai, Grimaldi overtook Eva Fabian of the United States down the final stretch to win in 2 hours, 2 minutes, 49.5 seconds.

Fabian led for nearly the entire race but finished half a second back in second. Brazil's Poliana Okimoto was third and American swimmer Christine Jennings was fourth amid the greenery of London's largest park.

Canada's Richard Weinberger won the men's race, followed by Germany's Thomas Lurz. World champion Spyridon Gianniotis of Greece finished third.

article-2025406-0D6B122F00000578-918_468x286.jpg

Londo_2012_open_water_test_event_start_August_13_2011.jpg

londonprepares10kmswim.jpg

Archived