London 2012 test events

The venue is going down a storm by all accounts

Ellision finished third in the 58-man field with an impressive score of 677 and the 22-year-old from Arizona admitted he the iconic venue is one of the best archery venues he has ever seen.

"This is the first cricket field I've ever been on or ever even seen apart from on television," said Brady, who also won gold at the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro.

"It is absolutely amazing and I really like it.

"The field reminds me of a well-kept golf course and it's like walking on the greens.

"It's one of the nicest archery venues I've been on and I think this place will be great when we come back for the Olympics next year."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/14450-american-bowled-over-by-archery-at-lords-

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World record broken in archery at Lord's

LONDON (AP) — South Korean archer Im Dong-hyun broke his own world record Monday as archery came to Lord's, the home of cricket, for a test event for next year's London Olympics.

Im scored 693 points on the 70-meter round, breaking his 72-arrow record by two points on the first day of qualifying in the London Archery Classic. Compatriot Jung Dasomi led the women with 666 points.

The weeklong competition begins outright Tuesday with the men's team event.

Im won two team Olympic gold medals in 2004 and 2008. He will be a favorite for individual gold in London next year.

Lord's is being converted to an archery venue for the Olympics.

Those Koreans have NO sporting tradition!! No Championships for Korea!! :angry:

• 1 month later...

London Handball Cup

23 - 27 November 2011, Handball Arena, Olympic Park, London

The London Handball Cup is an invitational tournament for national women’s teams, featuring six teams from around the world competing in the new Handball Arena on the Olympic Park in east London.

The tournament will take place from 23-27 November 2011, with matches conducted on each day. Great Britain will be pitted against a world class line-up as part of the team’s preparations for the Olympic Games.

Angola, Austria, China, Great Britain, Poland and Slovakia will compete in the London Handball Cup ahead of the Olympic Games qualifying tournaments. This top level line-up will give handball fans a great taste of what to expect at London 2012.

http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/handball/event-background/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
First Paralympic test event brings Goalball to Olympic Park

The first Paralympic test event, the London International Goalball Tournament, starts this weekend (3-4 December) at the Handball Arena on the Olympic Park.

Goalball, one of the Paralympic events with tickets still available for next year, is a 3-a-side team sport played by visually impaired athletes using a ball with bells inside. Deemed one of the most exciting Paralympic sports, play is conducted in silence with just the sound of the bells used to judge movement of the ball.

Debbie Jevans, Director of Sport at LOCOG said: “It will be fantastic to see competitive Paralympic sport happening for the first time in the Olympic Park and we are delighted to welcome Goalball teams from around the world."

The London International Goalball Tournament is part of the London Prepares series, the official sports testing programme for London 2012. LOCOG will use the test event to test key operations including technology and timing, workforce and the transition of the Handball Arena from Handball to Goalball competitions

London 2012

Judo and Taekwondo test events are also taking place this weekend (3-4 December) at ExCeL.

• 2 weeks later...

The FIG has release the nominative list of athletes and teams that will compete at London 2012 Test Event in the North Greenwich Arena

Artistic Gymnastics

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Trampoline Gymnastics

The Olympic Test Event for Artistic Gymnastics will take place on January 10 – 13, Trampoline on January 13 and Rhythmic Gymnastics on January 16 – 18.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exclusive: FIG official hails North Greenwich Arena as "worlds's best"

International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) executive member Brian Stocks has revealed his delight with the North Greenwich Arena as the gymnastics event host for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/gymnastics/15448-exclusive-fig-official-hails-north-greenwich-arena-as-qworldss-bestq

• 1 month later...

"Honestly, I've never been to any venue, any track in the world, and seen any home nation get the support we've had today," he told BBC Sport. "The wall of noise when you're on the track is unbelievable.

Job well done for the velodrome then, Wall of noise is what they wanted, wall of noise is what they are getting

I suspect, though I haven't been to the venue myself yet, the low ceiling looks a lot lower in those small photos than it is in real life. I'm hoping to try to get into one of the test events so I'll let you know. There are a few on SSC who are heading to the diving test event this week so I'm sure they'll tell us how the venue shapes up as well.

I can see what Baron is saying. The roof has always dominated in a way that I can't work out whether I like or not. I think it will definitely look incredible once the wings are down and the sides are flooed with light from the glass. I also think that the interior of the London aquatics centre is superb. The jury is still out for me with that roof that in the current mode. As Rob has said, it will be interesting to see what the members of SSC during the test events make of the venue. It's a shame really as that roof is an engineering marvel. Even though it was a compromise on the original roof.

I'm wondering if these guys with these super-large pink hands will point out the way to the Olympic Park in the Westfield Stratford Shopping Centre during the Games, too.

What me wonders is that it seems that you have to go through the shopping centre when you want to reach the Olympic Park from the Stratford Station...

Nothing against shopping, but I wonder how they want to organise how the huge crowd is guided through the shopping centre...

You don't really walk through the shopping mall per se. You just walk along a huge outdoor boulevard that cuts through the mall buildings. You have to turn right from the boulevard to go into the mall proper interior. But there's still some window shop fronts and cafes that fronted along both side of the boulevard.

Well, this outside boulevard is still a shopping centre - I wonder how many people will carry their shoppings bags into the venue resp. how many people are interested in buying something after the event has finished... I can imagine that most of the visitors of sport events will use the shopping cente to find something to eat - and or to watch athletes, since I suppose it will be used by them to go shopping, due the village is right on the side of it.

I should add that it is a good/great/impressive shopping centre, which is and will be a huge success - I just would have hoped if there had been really a direct way from the station to the park without any shopping boulevard in between

Archived