Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium

Mikehali, FYI, Gangwon...don't bait those two. You'll just get sucked into their upside down world...where there is non-European snow falling upside down!! :lol:

Agree for the most part, but sometimes it's fun! You know that, you've had your fair share of fun here over the years. ;)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% false. Prove it you big insecure bully, or admit you're pulling numbers out of your derriere.

Anyway, Climate change is serious by global warming.

2009 Biathlon world championship in Pyeongchang. Snow nothing.

84791387.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54816BC398DAF9D7AC3251AF32F3C9A4FC7553BB14150057358E30A760B0D811297

This year 1m heavy snow.

If too much snow comes,

can't hold the ski event or difficult race.

Facts:

-all three candidate cities could stage great Games

-the IOC is clearly faced with two options: tapping in a new market with PC (great opportunity for winter sport development in Asia, convenient compact plan, risk on festive atmosphere) or "re-load the batteries" with a safe bet with Munich (Games concept similar to the one in Vancouver and Sochi, festive atmosphere guaranteed but less clear legacy potential) and to a lesser extent Annecy (more challenging operations as no real clusters but opportunity for returning the Games to small mountain cities).

Add to that political considerations for 2020 and onward (which I think would favor PC) and all the rest is "yada yada yada".

Annecy doesn't have public fervor, French don't have interest to winter sport except Skiing and Gun Skiing !!! it is a fact that nobody can't dispute !!!

Annecy 2018 faces growing public opposition

100% false. Prove it you big insecure bully, or admit you're pulling numbers out of your derriere.

...You are pathetic... In each time when there are different competition, each time was a very popular successful.. And isn't only Ski like in Va d'Isere with more than 250 000 spectators in 2009, or this winter with Biathlon (more than 10 000 spectators), Xgames with 75 000 spectators or Ski cross with 15 000 spectators, I understand this figures make korean dream...

There are so Artistic skating is very popular in France, Short track are popular so in France...

10 000 suporters Grand Bornand

http://www.toutleski.com/news/biathlon/CID9591/biathlon-au-grand-bornand-pari-reussi.html

La clusaz more than 10 000 supporters

More than 30 000 spectators in Annecy to support Annecy 2018

15 000 supporters

More than 10 world competitions this winter

Annecy has a very important public fervor, it's a fact than nobody can contest... It's funny a Korean say there isn't public fervor in france whereas in Korea there is no spectators... Curious...

IN france winter sports are very popular since 1 century... Say the contrary is ridiculous...

About snow in PC, 25 cm in average is writing in PC bid book...

Facts:

-all three candidate cities could stage great Games

-the IOC is clearly faced with two options: tapping in a new market with PC (great opportunity for winter sport development in Asia, convenient compact plan, risk on festive atmosphere) or "re-load the batteries" with a safe bet with Munich (Games concept similar to the one in Vancouver and Sochi, festive atmosphere guaranteed but less clear legacy potential) and to a lesser extent Annecy (more challenging operations as no real clusters but opportunity for returning the Games to small mountain cities).

Add to that political considerations for 2020 and onward (which I think would favor PC) and all the rest is "yada yada yada".

No fact, your thinking.

Compact is not strong point in PC.

Munich,PC have compact all,

Rather, alpensia resort traffic worried,

and snowboard, freestyle, downhill venue <80km> Pyeongchang Ice cluster.

Do you think that Korea have trying enough?

for development of winter sport, athlete.

You know the meaning of legacy?

New market is not legacy, just logic of money.

Munich 1972-2018 This really is legacy.

When Korea was hold in 1997 Winter universiade,

does not have any impact for winter sports development.

Do you think about abandoned jumping park and olympic stadium in Korea?

Maybe great opportunity for CONVENTION development in Korea,

not winter sport.

Baron you have a very good argumentation... :rolleyes:

When someone think differently than you, the only thing you can do it's irrespecutful and criticism without argumentations....

Maybe one day you could expose an argument... :rolleyes:

Annecy has a very important public fervor, it's a fact than nobody can contest...

No, it's not a fact. It's your opinion. Just like everything else you said.

About snow in PC, 25 cm in average is writing in PC bid book...

Thank you for proving you are a liar. The bid book says nothing about that. Now I know you're pulling numbers out of thin air, because Volume 1-06 (environment and meterology) gives totally different figures for the amount of snowfall during the 2 week Winter Games period (not the 25 cm per year, like you suggested)

Bid Book - Environment and meterology section (It's on page 14)

Here's the entire candidate file

Now everyone knows (if they didn't already) that whatever you say is a sham. I'm done with you.

Tulsa,

25cm is not true.

However. I will not be guaranteed to real snow.

because when Pyeongchang hold the biathlon world championship in 2009,

at that time rains came. snow nothing.

die-pech-wm-von-pyeongchang-2009-elf-grad-plus-dauerregen-und-sturm-die-biathlon-wm-drohte-wegzuschwimmen-am-freitag-den-13-fielen-in-der-suedkoreanischen-provinz-zuerst-die-tv-kameras-und-werbebanden.jpg

Anyway the problem is not snow.

In terms of the olympic movement should be approached.

Pyeongchang disqualified.

No fact, your thinking.

Compact is not strong point in PC.

Munich,PC have compact all,

Rather, alpensia resort traffic worried,

and snowboard, freestyle, downhill venue <80km> Pyeongchang Ice cluster.

Do you think that Korea have trying enough?

for development of winter sport, athlete.

You know the meaning of legacy?

New market is not legacy, just logic of money.

Munich 1972-2018 This really is legacy.

When Korea was hold in 1997 Winter universiade,

does not have any impact for winter sports development.

Do you think about abandoned jumping park and olympic stadium in Korea?

Maybe great opportunity for CONVENTION development in Korea,

not winter sport.

Twist it the way you want, by any mean PC is the most compact of the three bids (although all of them are reasonably compact).

Traffic congestion in Alpensia could indeed be a concern that would require careful transport operation planning.

If you are looking at the furthest distance between any two sites for the 3 bids you have:

- PC: 95 km between Gangneung and Jungbong

- Munich: 165 km between Munich and Konigsee (90 km otherwise between Munich and Garmisch)

- Annecy: 150 km between Annecy and La Plagne (100 km otherwise between Annecy and Chamonix)

All is all equivalent.

Then if you look at average travel time per client group, PC is definitely the most compact due to the central location of the centre of the Games

I know that legacy is more than mortar and concrete.

PC still have an easier speech in selling the idea of giving a better momentum to the development of Winter sports in Asia than Munich and Annecy that do have potential legacy but less tangible, therefore more difficult to sell.

I am not passing a jugement on the respective merits of the various bids, just pointing the obvious: it's easier to sell PC to IOC members than Munich or Annecy.

Final word: comparing impact of Winter Universiade and Winter Olympic Games is just intellectually dishonnest.

If you are looking at the furthest distance between any two sites for the 3 bids you have:

- PC: 95 km between Gangneung and Jungbong

- Munich: 165 km between Munich and Konigsee (90 km otherwise between Munich and Garmisch)

- Annecy: 150 km between Annecy and La Plagne (100 km otherwise between Annecy and Chamonix)

All is all equivalent.

Then if you look at average travel time per client group, PC is definitely the most compact due to the central location of the centre of the Games

I mean You put too much emphasis on "Compact"

but 80~95km is not compact.

and I'm not German

I would like to think with the exception of isolated Konigsee.

but i think it's a small drawback for Munich.

I know that legacy is more than mortar and concrete.

PC still have an easier speech in selling the idea of giving a better momentum to the development of Winter sports in Asia than Munich and Annecy that do have potential legacy but less tangible, therefore more difficult to sell.

I said their not interested in winter sport development.

and some evidence suggests.

Final word: comparing impact of Winter Universiade and Winter Olympic Games is just intellectually dishonnest.

Univesiade jumping park has been neglected.

This is a very important issue.

2009 Biathlon World Championships,

Continental Cup Ski Jumping,

1997 Winter Universiade,

1999 Asian Winter Games,

Maybe Olympics will be the same.

I say 4 thing :

PC doesn't have public fervor, Korean don't have interest to winter sport except Short track and Artistic skating !!! it is a fact that nobody can't dispute !!! (Remember Biathlon, no fan, no supporters, nothing)

Korea's interest in winter sports might be lower than other nations. However, popularity is gaining. But, here is the fact that can be disputed... when Koreans host "the" event (World Cup, Olympics, etc.) national pride by itself leads to support/fans that is unsurpassed by nations in the western world (Europe/North America). Attendance at events like World Championships for Biathlon or Curling will always be low... doesn't stir the national psyche and there aren't enough fans (despite the growth) in those sports. BUT, at the Olympics... it's on.

Regarding many comments about South Korean interest in events...

South Korea has put heart and effort into 3 consecutive bids to host, the public is behind the bid, a win would mean pride for the nation and every individual. No effort will be spared to assure stunning success in every way......we are talking about South Korea here.....these people are serious, diligent, and incredibly determined. IMHO there will be unprecedented public interest and attendance at every event if the Olympic Winter Games go to PC. This will be considered the event of a lifetime for many people.

No need to deny the appeal of French and German alpine traditions, but the mystery and excitement of experiencing something new is always appealing.

South Korea has put heart and effort into 3 consecutive bids to host, the public is behind the bid,

a win would mean pride for the nation and every individual.

Paul

You Korean?

You know about Korea?

This bid for politicians.

Governor Kim's ambitions.

Hahaha... Baron... you crack me up. But I think you might be right about Tulsa and Nature being the same person.

Nature, where do you live by the way? What's your favourite ski resort in Korea? Just wondering.

Oh, and out of interest, I actually did some research about average snowfall in Gangwon province. It snows 250-270cm per year with average snow depth kept at 66cm. That makes more sense, since each time I visited the ski resorts there, there was plenty of snow. Tulsa, you may have missed out a zero from your '25cm.'

No, it's not a fact. It's your opinion. Just like everything else you said.

It's a fact, I give you the press article with the number of supporters, France is a Winter country, everybody like theses sports and moreover if you look in the history you can't say the contrary... In Korea there isn't popular fervor, prove me the contrary...

Hahaha... Baron... you crack me up. But I think you might be right about Tulsa and Nature being the same person.

Nature, where do you live by the way? What's your favourite ski resort in Korea? Just wondering.

Oh, and out of interest, I actually did some research about average snowfall in Gangwon province. It snows 250-270cm per year with average snow depth kept at 66cm. That makes more sense, since each time I visited the ski resorts there, there was plenty of snow. Tulsa, you may have missed out a zero from your '25cm.'

Definitely you are a liar, 270 cm per each winter it's totally wrong and crazy...

The majority of korean ski resort made artificial snow think to snowmaker...

I have read some informations about snow in korea and isn't very good but the temperature are cold and it's easy to produce artificial snow, but without it's very difficult to practice ski or some other winter activity...

The ski resort have a good equipment but the ski slope are short and easy because slopes are low...

The size of the most important ski resort in Korea is medium.

The potential of Korea to practice ski is restricted if you compare with China or Japan (the mountain aren't very high, and snow condition isn't the best in Asia), however to start ski or to find good equipment Korea is good...

Definitely you are a liar, 270 cm per each winter it's totally wrong and crazy...

The majority of korean ski resort made artificial snow think to snowmaker...

I have read some informations about snow in korea and isn't very good but the temperature are cold and it's easy to produce artificial snow, but without it's very difficult to practice ski or some other winter activity...

The ski resort have a good equipment but the ski slope are short and easy because slopes are low...

The size of the most important ski resort in Korea is medium.

The potential of Korea to practice ski is restricted if you compare with China or Japan (the mountain aren't very high, and snow condition isn't the best in Asia), however to start ski or to find good equipment Korea is good...

Did you call me a liar? I'm just going to let that one go for this once. Here's where I got that information from:

http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=309348

You can take your 'liar' insult up with them. The region of Gangwon overall may get lower snowfall yearly as you say, but that doesn't matter. What matters more (at least for you and your obsession with snowfall) is how much snowfall main winter olympics sites get.

Seoul: wrong faces in Olympic lobby

Financial Times/2011/04/04/

Instead, Korea is allowing the country’s most notorious corporate boss to do the lobbying. Kim Seung-youn, chairman of the Hanwha conglomerate, was briefly imprisoned in 2007 for abducting some bar staff to a building site, where he beat them with a steel pipe in revenge for an attack on his son.

Kim, whose sentence was suspended, will be travelling to Europe and the US to lobby for the Olympics to be held in the town of Pyeongchang. His company, which makes chemicals and explosives, is one of the Olympic bid sponsors. In a statement released over the weekend, Hanwha said Kim would be “fully mobilizing his global network” in European countries and would “seek active co-operation from them”. Let’s hope he has some more gentle means of persuasion at his disposal than steel pipes.

Sadly, wheeling out Kim forms part of an ugly pattern. South Korea’s president, Lee Myung-bak, is lenient on corporate corruption and pardoned Lee Kun-hee, chairman of Samsung, of serious fraud so he could take a seat on the International Olympic Committee and lobby for the Pyeongchang Olympics.

President Lee used the summit of the G20 leading economies in Seoul as an opportunity to rehabilitate two disgraced luminaries, who were given senior roles so they could wipe the slate clean of their crimes by serving the nation. He is now allowing Lee Kun-hee and Kim Seung-youn to redeem themselves in the same way.

Winning the Olympics would be particularly meaningful for Lee Kun-hee of Samsung. It was the founder of Hyundai, his great domestic rival, who won the summer Olympics for South Korea in 1988.

Pyeongchang 2018 highly political bid.

I hope IOC members vote for Munich or Annecy. :)

Munich is my favorite city,

because France have 3times already.

Archived