Long Track Speed Skating

Man, talk about a choke job by Denny Morrison.

How could he choke when he wasn't a favorite to begin with? He was not good at all this year so it's hardly surprising.

CTV is hyping any athlete who won a world cup medal or two in the last few years... :rolleyes: That's why the results look so bad even if they're not surprising at all.

How could he choke when he wasn't a favorite to begin with? He was not good at all this year so it's hardly surprising.

CTV is hyping any athlete who won a world cup medal or two in the last few years... :rolleyes: That's why the results look so bad even if they're not surprising at all.

Sports Illustrated had Morrison down for Silver in the 1000m and 1500m. The same with the Associated Press. And isn't Morrison ranked high in both those distances on the World Cup Circuit?

Sports Illustrated had Morrison down for Silver in the 1000m and 1500m. The same with the Associated Press. And isn't Morrison ranked high in both those distances on the World Cup Circuit?

No he's not. In 9 races he won three bronze medals. That's it.

Sports Illustrated just copy the results of the previous world championships for the most part...

I knew things would be tough when that skater beat the Track Record before the midway point of the competition. I was more than happy with Groves. She pushed hard for that Silver Medal. Christine Nesbitt also put in a gutsy performance, but I feel she should have been able to make the podium. Just wasn't a good weekend for Canadian Long Track (or short track for that matter)

The biggest disappointment in speed skating for Canada at these games is clearly Denny Morrison.

Man, we better start firing people at Speed Skating Canada. The performances so far are unacceptable.

I agree. The coaching staff completely screwed up when they designed the training program. The whole team peaked at the wrong time. Nerves could explain one of two bad perfomances, but almost all the skaters ended up way below their world ranking, Groves being the only exception. But then again, she almost never has a bad race.