Gold Coast 2018

Not really, Auckland was a totally different situation...at the time the Government was in a fiscal quandry and was more focussed on that rollicking great rugby tournament. Also Auckland wasn't really prepared for hosting.

Interesting that Queensland politics simply do not reflect the image of the state the we see on the tourist brochures...And the fact that New Zealanders are clearly NOT welcome to live there.

Not welcome? I wouldn't really say that. SEQ has taken in a huge amount of working-class NZ'ers over the past two decades. It seems like sometimes half of West Auckland is now living on the GC.

I'd say the conservative side of Queensland doesn't really mind the Kiwis. But you are right. I feel, even as an Australian, that the projected image of Queensland as a laid back, easy going place doesn't quite match the actual reality of the psyche of the quintessential Queenslander - conservative, anti-foreigner, anti-tax, anti-welfare. It's the home of the aggressive, white male. Not laid back at all. Politically it has always been a sore spot for the more liberal populations of Sydney and Melbourne. Queensland is Australia's Florida - with the mentality of Texas.

Edited by runningrings

Not welcome? I wouldn't really say that. SEQ has taken in a huge amount of working-class NZ'ers over the past two decades. It seems like sometimes half of West Auckland is now living on the GC.

I'd say the conservative side of Queensland doesn't really mind the Kiwis. But you are right. I feel, even as an Australian, that the projected image of Queensland as a laid back, easy going place doesn't quite match the actual reality of the psyche of the quintessential Queenslander - conservative, anti-foreigner, anti-tax, anti-welfare. It's the home of the aggressive, white male. Not laid back at all. Politically it has always been a sore spot for the more liberal populations of Sydney and Melbourne. Queensland is Australia's Florida - with the mentality of Texas.

Like most cities, Brissie and the GC are okay. Anywhere outside, though, and Qld is redneck central.

Remember, Qld was also the state that had a Kiwi premier - that old bastard Sir Joh himself!

• Like 1

Like most cities, Brissie and the GC are okay. Anywhere outside, though, and Qld is redneck central.

Remember, Qld was also the state that had a Kiwi premier - that old bastard Sir Joh himself!

Generally speaking though, Brisbane and GC are still considerably more conservative than Sydney or Melbourne, you only need to look at the Newspoll breakdown to see this continuing trend. Perth is not far behind, albeit more economic conservative, not socially.

And of course, Sir Joh. Queensland's infamous, iron fisted Premier who reigned supreme over the Sunshine State from the 1960's to the 1980's and completely transformed it into the place it is now. It was his big visions that saw the 1982 Commonwealth Games lead into Brisbane hosting Expo '88, and ambitions set on the 1992 Olympics for Brisbane.

What's got your back up now? I don't think anybody blends in to the scenery here, or are as fondly regarded as cousins here, as the kiwis.

I think Alex is probably talking about alot of recent actions in terms of the almost limbo status that Kiwis on the special visas (ie: the right to live and work without having to apply for anything) are in in Australia. How they can be living there for donkeys and still be denied certain services that are made available to other immigrant groups - services which Aussies who are in New Zealand are given by the NZ Government.

I think there's been a few discrimination cases of late, and alot of it was brought up as a result of the assistance initially denied in wake of the Queensland floods.

I can't really comment myself, but it's been a little bit of a hot topic lately.

Honestly, haven't heard anything about that over here. The only connection between Kiwis and the Gold Coast I knew of was that Jersey Shore rip-off, te GC.

Quality viewing. haha

Here's a summary of the story

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/7909670/Light-on-Australias-second-class-Kiwis

Surprises me. As I said, not a peep about this over here. And I was always under the impression that everything was pretty reciprocal between Oz and NZ - just last week there was talk here about doing away with passports for travel between us.

• Like 1

I think calling it discrimination is a bit much. Australia has absorbed a huge portion of New Zealanders over recent decades, part of my own family included, but ultimately aside from employment opportunities and relatively higher wages, there is little difference between the two - so it trans-Tasman economic refugees should not be treated any differently. Australia puts its resources and bridging schemes towards people who need it more from non developed countries. I'd be highly surprised if there were any calculated discrimination against NZ citizens in Australia.

That NZ politician is being ridiculous and veers close to arrogance. Ultimately our own internal affairs, right or wrong, are not his concern.

Surprises me. As I said, not a peep about this over here. And I was always under the impression that everything was pretty reciprocal between Oz and NZ - just last week there was talk here about doing away with passports for travel between us.

Yes, I'd like to see this happen, a similar set up to, or even less than, what Canada and the US have.

I think there is an idea that all flights would be transferred to Domestic. This would pose huge infrastructure issues in our Airports, restructuring them to cater for more domestic flights - but the bonus is that it would free up International terminals. Short term pain for long term gain. Another potential benefit from a US-Canada style border is that if you were flying from (eg) Chile to Western Australia via NZ, you could clear all your customs and visa processing in AKL. When I was in North America in 2009, I remember heading to California from Montreal, and I had already passed US customs at Montreal Airport.

There was a common border 50 years ago but the jet age started to complicate things.

Today it would be bio-security that would halt fluid movement. Both NZ and to a lesser extent Australia are depend on the export of very high quality foodstuffs to the global market. Both nations have pests that would damage each eco systems. You could enter an Anzac zone at each end but you will still need border control trans-Tasman. Its just too risky without.

Case in point earlier this year when ONE fruit fly was found in Auckland...all hell broke loose. It could only have got here on a TT flight. Likewise Australia paranoid about NZ apples, although thats probibly just Queensland's racist farmers kicking up more a stink than anything else...NZ apples are known to be a far superior product, likewise Australian oranges over NZs.

However....Moving the CWGs to Brissy would be just plain DUMB!

There was a common border 50 years ago but the jet age started to complicate things. Today it would be bio-security that would halt fluid movement. Both NZ and to a lesser extent Australia are depend on the export of very high quality foodstuffs to the global market. Both nations have pests that would damage each eco systems. You could enter an Anzac zone at each end but you will still need border control trans-Tasman. Its just too risky without. Case in point earlier this year when ONE fruit fly was found in Auckland...all hell broke loose. It could only have got here on a TT flight. Likewise Australia paranoid about NZ apples, although thats probibly just Queensland's racist farmers kicking up more a stink than anything else...NZ apples are known to be a far superior product, likewise Australian oranges over NZs. However....Moving the CWGs to Brissy would be just plain DUMB!

There is still quarantine within Australia, and even moreso between Tasmania and the mainland. Stringent quarantine could still be undertaken in a Domestic/TT specific terminal.

Is more of a hassle than its worth?

You then have to fund border security at secondary airports as well.

And some would have only a couple of flights, TT, a week. Case in point Hamilton and Rotorua. Both have lost their TT routes due to low demand and costs such as border control which is still needed especially if we are going to open a common ring fence border to less, er dubious overseas nationals...

Impressive thread drift by the way!

There is still quarantine within Australia, and even moreso between Tasmania and the mainland. Stringent quarantine could still be undertaken in a Domestic/TT specific terminal.

On interstate flights you're still told to dispose of any fruit before leaving the terminal. They don't seem to have the sniffer beagles around, though, like in the international terminal.

Do they still have the fruit checks on the roads? I haven't driven between states for a while, but I remember when I was young there were still road checks, and my parents "smuggling" bananas in the car from Qld down to NSW.

Edited by Sir Rols

The GC was crap. I hope they arent making a second season of it!

<_< Oh...They are!

(Interesting though - the haters and likers are about even. The idea the Maoris getting on with life, and doing well, without being a burden on anyone erks alot of NZers though)

• 1 month later...

There was a story floating around last week about Beach Volleyball wanting to be included in 2018, but it was a radio interview, so I didn't post Anyway, here's developments:

Beach volleyballers fear Commonwealth Games snub

Beach volleyball organisers fear their dream of a Commonwealth Games competition could be spiked by the state government.

The Australian Volleyball Federation is campaigning to have the sport included for the first time in 2018, saying it’s a “perfect sporting fit” for the Gold Coast.

“Our concern is the government may, for financial reasons, say it doesn’t have the extra money needed to put the event on in Gold Coast, even though everyone is overwhelmingly in favour of it,” said National President Chris Schacht.

“The Gold Coast is one of the iconic beaches of Australia along with Bondi, and having beach volleyball would get world coverage of the city even beyond the Commonwealth Games countries.”

Advertisement

Mr Schacht said the AVF had submitted a proposal to the state government requesting a $5 million to $7 million investment to build a 6000-capacity stand at Broachbeach and run the competition with 2 teams from 32 countries, playing three sessions a day.

The Australian Commonwealth Games Association is believed to be happy to include beach volleyball in the 2018 line-up as long as government funding is forthcoming.

“If the government says no now, they may regret it in two or three years’ time when the budget position in Queensland may be a lot better,” Mr Schacht said.

“They won’t be able to go back and say ‘We’ve got money available,’ because the decision of the Commonwealth Games Association will be made one way or the other by the middle of this year.”

A spokesperson for Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey said the concern was unfounded.

“The proposal for sports to be included into the Commonwealth Games hasn't come to government for consideration at this stage,” said the spokesperson.

“The Australian Volleyball Association has submitted a proposal to GOLDOC [Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation], which is currently being assessed.”

The spokesperson said the government will await that assessment and others as part of the normal planning process, with a final decision expected in the next couple of months.

Mr Schact said beach volleyball was so popular, TV rights to a Commonwealth Games tournament would probably be snapped up by overseas networks and even those in non-Commonwealth countries.

“Beach volleyball will continue to grow around the world at a rapid rate, but Queensland won’t get the benefit of it,” he said.

“There are so many angles the goverment can use to promote it - as a first for Queensland, a first for the Gold Coast, for tourism, for development and for profile.”

Mr Schact said this weekend’s free Renault National Series in Surfers Paradise was proof of the sport’s popularity, with full 500-plus crowds at both day and night games.

“The Gold Coast is built on its beaches and the tourism that comes with it, and we are the sport of the beach,” he said.

“If there’s not a better fit for a sport, I cannot think of it.”

There was a story floating around last week about Beach Volleyball wanting to be included in 2018, but it was a radio interview, so I didn't post Anyway, here's developments:

Meh, it wasn't part of the bid and due to the nature of Commonwealth Games sports, would probably just be a one off event if it ever got held. No point really, plus the regular volleyballers would be annoyed into why the actual sport isn't being contested if the beach version got the nod.

TV rights? If the CGF just stuck to a proper sporting plan and included sports which are immensely popular to TV audiences (like football for example) then it would definitely see proper revenue from the sale of TV rights and proper global coverage within Commonwealth nations.

Push to have wood chopping included at 2018 Commonwealth Games

AXES could fly at the 2018 Commonwealth Games with a push to get wood chopping on the Games schedule.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate has sent Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey a letter requesting wood chopping be added to the 2018 event's schedule as an exhibition sport to represent the city's history.

Queensland Axemen's Association representative and champion wood chopper Barry Hinze, who has more than 45 years experience in the sport, said he hoped Ms Stuckey supported the move.

"I think it is a good idea because there are a lot of passionate wood choppers who could get involved," Mr Hinze told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

"Wood chopping has a lot of history on the Coast and is getting more notice overseas now in places like Canada, England and New Zealand."

The Commonwealth Games has 17 recognised sports, with more expected to be added for the Gold Coast event in April, 2018.

Silly headline (though i do seem to remember once before the woodchoppers talking about wanting CGF affiliation).

Maybe in the OC - or is it even too hokey for that?

Edited by Sir Rols

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Coast 2018 turn down requests to add sports to Commonwealth Games programme

February 8 - Sports who wanted to be included on the programme for the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast have had their hopes dashed after Australian officials revealed that there would be no additions.

Beach volleyball, especially, had been pushing for inclusion, while canoeing, judo and ten pin bowling had also applied.

"The sports programme will reflect the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) stipulated 10 core sports (including Para-sports) and an additional seven optional sports,'' Gold Coast 2018 said in a statement.

"The Commonwealth Games Federation caps the number of sports at 17.''

Athletics, aquatics, badminton, boxing, hockey, lawn bowls, women's netball, squash, rugby sevens and weightlifting are the core sports for 2018 while the Gold Coast has chosen basketball, shooting, table tennis, cycling, gymnastics, triathlon and wrestling, which they had nominated in their Bid Book presented to the CGF in May 2011

Athletics, lawn bowls, power lifting and swimming will be the Para-sports at Gold Coast 2018.

"The sports programme was carefully developed to provide a balance of sports with consideration given to potential athlete participation levels, the number of Commonwealth nations hosting international tournaments and participant numbers from the Commonwealth at World Championships," said Nigel Chamier, the chairman of Gold Coast 2018.

"We are confident that the sports featured in our event will have international appeal and attract the very best athletes."

The claims of the sports who had applied to be part of the programme had been carefully considered, claimed Chamier.

"All submissions were considered by the GOLDOC (Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation) Sport and Technical Committee, including the Australian Commonwealth Games Association, and the GOLDOC Board," he said.

"The review was conducted in accordance with the strict criteria set by the CGF for inclusion in the Commonwealth Games.

"All four applicants failed to meet a sufficient number of criteria to warrant being proposed to the CGF for inclusion in the 2018 sports programme."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2018/1012802-gold-coast-2018-turn-down-requests-to-add-sports-to-commonwealth-games-programme

• 1 month later...

Mayor claims Gold Coast 2018 are making him feel like a "mushroom" in logo row

March 8 - Gold Coast 2018 claim that the city's Mayor Tom Tate is not being excluded from the brand development of the 2018 Commonwealth Games despite an angry outburst from the City Council leader.

Tate, who took over from Ron Clarke as Gold Coast Mayor in April 2012, appeared to be particularly unhappy at allegedly being excluded from a secret viewing of the new Gold Coast 2018 logo, which will be officially unveiled at a public ceremony next month on April 4.

Tate was quoted in the Gold Coast Bulletin saying: "If the shoe was on the other foot, we would have paid due respect and shown them the logo and not kept them in the dark.

"Nobody likes to feel like mushroom.'"

But the Organising Committee has played down a rift with the Mayor, saying he has been included through the process and will play a "significant role" in the unveiling of the logo next month.

"The Mayor was certainly not excluded from being involved in the brand development," a Gold Coast 2018 spokesperson told insidethegames.

"In actual fact he was one of a handful of Gold Coasters who were interviewed in a one on one meeting to ascertain their personal perspective of the Gold Coast and the Commonwealth Games.

"The responses and results from broader research contributed to the development of the brand and ultimately the design of the Games emblem that will be revealed early in April.

"The process of brand development and subsequent protocols had to be followed to ensure legal obligations, copyright and trademarks were all in place prior to the emblem reveal with the last of the legal approvals obtained only last week.

"The Mayor had actually a meeting with the Gold Coast 2018 chairman and chief executive the day after the Gold Coast Bulletin story so he could see the emblem and the creative elements that will form the initial 'look and feel' visual identity.

"The Mayor will have a significant role in the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games launch and emblem unveiling at the celebration event on Thursday, April 4, 2013."

Tate has largely been a positive supporter of the 2018 Commonwealth Games but it was his predecessor as Mayor, Clarke, who played a major role in helping the city secure the event,

A former long-distance runner that won medals at both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, Clarke's presence at the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) General Assembly in St Kitts and Nevis in November 2011 played a decisive factor in helping the Australian city hold off sole rivals Hambantota of Sri Lanka by 43 votes to 27.

Clarke resigned as Gold Coast Mayor shortly after with Tate taking up the role.

Insidethegames

• 2 weeks later...
Gold Coast 2018 to unveil new logo with community celebration at Surfers Paradise

March 18 - Gold Coast 2018 have revealed that they will unveil

the new logo for their Commonwealth Games with a special community

celebration at Surfers Paradise Beach on April 4.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2018/1013386-gold-coast-2018-to-unveil-new-logo-with-community-celebration-at-surfers-paradise

Two news items to catch-up on developments:

Race on for Commonwealth Games Village bids

BUILDERS and financiers are jockeying for the rights to
develop the 2018 Commonwealth Games Village on the Gold Coast even
though they will be required to fund the development in a lacklustre
residential market and are unsure if the Queensland government will
stump up any financial assistance.

The Queensland government will call for expressions of
interest to build the project - which is expected to pump $2 billion
into the Gold Coast economy - next month. It has announced it will
contribute land at the Parklands site in Southport for the project.

Link: The Australian

Gold Coast 2018 move logo launch event due to public demand

March 25 - Gold Coast 2018 have relocated the unveiling of their
new logo for the Commonwealth Games on April 4 to Broadwater Parklands
in Southport.

The special community celebration to
unveil the logo next month was originally scheduled to take place at
Surfers Paradise Beach but due to a huge response for the public to
attend the event, the Organising Committee have moved the event to
Broadwater Parklands, which has a bigger capacity.

The move was also made to ensure that the on-going restoration of Surfers Paradise Beach could continue without interruption.

"The
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games launch and emblem unveil has been
relocated to Broadwater Parklands in Southport," said a Gold Coast 2018
statement.

"The relocation follows a great community response and
the organiser's desire to make sure everyone can enjoy the historic
occasion.

"A decision was made today to move the celebration from
Surfers Paradise beach to ensure beach restoration could continue
without interruption and that there was easy access and plenty of space
for people to watch.

"The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
launch will start at 7am with sporting activities and fun for the
children followed by the official ceremony, entertainment and emblem
unveil at 7.15am."

The logo will be central to the Gold Coast
2018 visual identity programme and following the unveiling, it will be
featured across the city as a constant reminder of its status as host
city of the 21st Commonwealth Games.

Insidethegames

Great to hear that the local community is behind the Games. From living in Melbourne at the time, I remember a great deal of apathy toward M2006 right up until about after the Athens Olympics, and excitement really built - it harnessed some of the buzz that was present at Sydney 2000.

Ill be interested to see what direction this logo takes. Hopefully no more boomerang legs - they got a flogging on the 2000 and 2006 logos.