Brazil's Sources Of Energy

THE HERALD

Sharon PA 29, August, 2009

Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil, long proud of its push to develop renewable energy and wean itself off oil, has a bad case of fossil-fuel fever.

Home to the bulk of the Amazon rainforest, Brazil for decades has developed alternative energy as an issue of national security following severe energy shortages in the 1970s. It uses hydroelectric power for more than 80 percent of its energy needs, is the world’s largest exporter of ethanol, and nine of every 10 cars sold in the nation can run on ethanol or a combination of ethanol and gasoline.

A U.N. study found that in 2008, Brazil accounted for almost all of Latin America’s renewable energy investment, to the tune of $10.8 billion.

Thirty years ago, more than 85 percent of Brazil’s oil came from foreign sources. Today, it is a net exporter.

There have been a series of other discoveries since Tupi — each lying at least 115 miles (185 kilometers) offshore, more than a mile below the ocean’s surface and under another 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) of earth and salt. Estimates of the entire area’s recoverable oil range between 50 billion and 100 billion barrels

The enthusiasm is also fanned by Brazil’s devotion to Petrobras, routinely listed as one of the most-admired companies in national polls.

In 2008, Brazil’s total oil and natural gas production was nearly 2.3 barrels per day. Petrobras was responsible for more than 96 percent of it.

“Most Brazilians think of Petrobras like they think of their soccer stars,” said Eric Smith, an offshore oil expert at Tulane University in New Orleans who likened efforts to get at Brazil’s oil to a trip to the moon. “Try to find Americans who support Exxon like that.”

Petrobras fattens government coffers with more than $30 billion a year in taxes and royalties.

Do we need a new thread for everything that happens in Brazil?

Calm down man, this is information :)

Thank you Raphael, for the information!

About this news, Brazil will be the largest 'energy power' of the Americas in the coming years. And Rio is the capital of energy in Brazil. This is fantastic for the future of Rio.

Do we need a new thread for everything that happens in Brazil?

Yeah, I agree. You can just make a news articles thread or something.

Not that a lot of people would be interested to read it anyway. To be quite honest, my interest in Rio's bid is almost nonexistent now because of the way it is being discussed here. Too much noise. It's like James combined with that Vest guy in the Vancouver section.

Calm down man, this is information :)

Thank you Raphael, for the information!

About this news, Brazil will be the largest 'energy power' of the Americas in the coming years. And Rio is the capital of energy in Brazil. This is fantastic for the future of Rio.

You Brazilians have EXCEEDED your quota for relevant posts.

Minus ANOTHER 8 votes.

Caue, your over-enthusiasm is hurting the Rio bid. As you said, be fair.

You Brazilians have EXCEEDED your quota for relevant posts.

Minus ANOTHER 8 votes.

Caue, your over-enthusiasm is hurting the Rio bid. As you said, be fair.

This thread is not mine, it was not posted by me. This thread is of Raphael. Your comment is stupid because I posted a few threads here.

And the over the posts of Raphael not prejudice the application. This dispute is not an Internet gambling, Is a serious dispute that will be addressed by other issues. All your comments are idiotic, Baron. I do not know what is your function here. you do not add, you do not know who supports you talk nonsense like that now... :(

My threads, in general, present a place of Rio's proposal. The last post by me is about the place for the marathon.

Baron Shut up, you just talking nonsense.

For other educated people who commented here, I'm sorry that the words used to Baron. And Raphael will see it here and I know he will moderate the posts. Thank you

More a note: If you really believe that this recent news over "damaging" Rio (my God, what nonsense) that is appealing. Because we know that this is not what decides the vote. This thought is a child of 12 years or less.

It's like talking "look, he posted an ugly picture of another city, the city that he supports will lose the votes" ... oh nonsense. :(

I agree.

Too much irrelevant information going on.

It's getting annoying.

I don't think like that, Rob. Any news - if they are reliabe - from the bidding cities and their countries may become useful to help IOC Board Members to make their decision. Were I to vote, for the sake of the games, I would like to now the maximum about every city and every country. Now, we are to know the EC relatory in a few days. In that relatory we will see whether things like that - linked to infrastructuring - are important or not and how they

were treated.

I agree.

Too much irrelevant information going on.

It's getting annoying.

Ken, I apologize if it seemed to you this forum got annoying due to this news I posted. My purpose was - and is - to provide info to those people that live in other countries and have no easy access to data about Brazil's reality, so that they may understand a little more about our country, our culture, our economic achievements. I think, when a country - any country - is successful in developing alternative sources of energy, it is good news, mainly in these times we are all concerned about global warming. Is is also good news when a country - any country - has found new sources of oil, because petroleum is still the main income of world economy. The more available oil, the lower the price. And this is good news to rich and poor people. What I mean is, we all must be happy for having in this race countries compromised with their roles in the world scenario; that I am very happy because Brazil is among these countries that present bidding cities to 2016 SOG.

We should have a thread: Good news and info from Rio and post everything there...

Given how closely the infrastructure investments and economy of Rio and Petrobas's performance are linked:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14817

I think the future prospects and public opinion of this company are relevant to Rio's bid. It's interesting to note that an oil company is "listed as one of the most-admired companies in national polls"--in the U.S. we approach oil with a lot more skepticism.

CHItown '16

Given how closely the infrastructure investments and economy of Rio and Petrobas's performance are linked:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14817

I think the future prospects and public opinion of this company are relevant to Rio's bid. It's interesting to note that an oil company is "listed as one of the most-admired companies in national polls"--in the U.S. we approach oil with a lot more skepticism.

CHItown '16

The difference is that in the US, companies such as EXXON, just to point out the example you gave in another thread, are 100% private owned... in the case of Petrobras, the government has a sufficient participation in order to influence in the mayor decisions... which allows the government to use most of the profit to benefit the country as whole... in infra-structure and social programs... besides that, Petrobras also develops a biofuel program that is very well known nowadays worldwide. That's why it's one of the most-admired companies in national polls. They do not invest only in the infra needed for their own explotation of oil... they also invest hard, in a strategic way, in many other areas.

Today president Lula will announce that the new oil fields, recently discovered, will allow the government to create a fund that will finance education, health, science and technology in the next years... so it's not only a question of "admiring an oil company", it's much more than that... don't forget, once more, the biofuel and the clean technologies that we are investing hard.

The difference is that in the US, companies such as EXXON, just to point out the example you gave in another thread, are 100% private owned... in the case of Petrobras, the government has a sufficient participation in order to influence in the mayor decisions... which allows the government to use most of the profit to benefit the country as whole... in infra-structure and social programs... besides that, Petrobras also develops a biofuel program that is very well known nowadays worldwide. That's why it's one of the most-admired companies in national polls. They do not invest only in the infra needed for their own explotation of oil... they also invest hard, in a strategic way, in many other areas.

Today president Lula will announce that the new oil fields, recently discovered, will allow the government to create a fund that will finance education, health, science and technology in the next years... so it's not only a question of "admiring an oil company", it's much more than that... don't forget, once more, the biofuel and the clean technologies that we are investing hard.

Well, I think this thread wasn´t so useless as I thought after Baron´s words. However, I will keep my promise.

I see what you mean.

But maybe, instead of just pasting a press release, it would have been more interesting if you had started a discussion about which city could deliver the greenest games.

With this in mind, Brazil is know for having very clean energy supplies and Japan develops cutting-edge technology, so I'd say either Rio or Tokyo would be the most environmentally-friendly.

Archived