Chicago Transport?

Yes, there are two train options (Red and Green Lines). The green line lets you off right at the park, and the red line is about 3-4 blocks away. There are a lot of buses that run through there as well. I am sure there would be a ton of shuttles and trolleys available for people as well.

The University of Chicago is next door to Washington Park (Stadium site), so public transit is not a big issue for the site.

Here is a link to a Chicago Transit Map (high resolution): http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/2001map.jpg

Overall, Chicago has a very comprehensive public transit system, just after New York. It just needs to be upgraded. A lot of the trains, stations, and tracks are old.

I'm just wondering, is there a public transportation link from downtown Chicago to the Olympic stadium which is clearly not located in the downtown area?

Here's an alternate link if that one doesn't work:

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/2007C.html

Washington Park is on the lower right corner of the map, with L (the subway) stops at 51st and 55th/Garfield.

The Olympic Village is planned for around 47th Street and the lake, and most of the venues are around or just south of the Loop (the brown area), with some at the United Center (just west of the Loop) and Komisky Park, er US Cellular Field at 35th Street. The Swimming is a bit further west, Wrigley Field is a bit farther north off the map, and the distance from 47th Street to most of these places is no more thatn 15 minutes. If you see McCormick Place near the shore, that is where many of the "indoor" events will take place; it is also near Soldier field (Football (soccer) finals and athletics) as well as archery, rowing, canoeing, marathon, etc.

Only the mountain biking, equestrian, and some of the larger venues for football/soccer are on the fringe of the city (or completely out of state, like in Minneapolis)

Hope that helps.

Overall, Chicago has a very comprehensive public transit system, just after New York. It just needs to be upgraded. A lot of the trains, stations, and tracks are old.

The Green Line was just rebuilt about 10 years ago so I don't think much needs to be done with it. I think the Red Line is next in line after the Brown Line rehabilitation is completed.

For you picture whores :P Here is the closest station to the Washington Park Stadium at 51st Street:

51st06t.jpg

Additionally, Metra's South Shore Line has a station nearby which also goes to South Bend, where Soccer will be played I am sure.

Re: The Red Line - it's been awhile since I lived there (and I rarely ventured to that part of town - I was a Northsider!) The Red Line stop is at the Dan Ryan - isn't that a bit of a walk?

^^^

I was discussing the system as a whole. Not just select lines, or just in the heart of the city.

Not too sure on the Green Line stations, as I haven't been to any outside of the Loop. They have been working on a staggered rehab project of Red Line stations for the past few years, but it takes about 15-18 months per station.

There is a Garfield stop for the Red Line no more than four blocks away from Washington Park.

Does Chicago have plans to accelerate the remodeling of the public transit system if they are awarded the games? I know this may sound like a dumb question because common sense would say yes but just curious if any city or transit officials have made this statement.

If i'm not mistaken didn't Atlanta speed up expansion of MARTA when they awarded the Olympics?

BTW.....I hope everyone is doing well :)

If i'm not mistaken didn't Atlanta speed up expansion of MARTA when they awarded the Olympics?

Well, they sort of did. But MARTA was mostly where they wanted it to be when July 1996 came around. There was the extension in the north to (if I remember right) to Dunwoody, but that was not crucial to the Games traffic plans.

The mayor said he was going to seek transit dollars from the Fed, but nothing has been set in stone. Some transit experts estimate that to do a complete overhaul of the system could cost between $8 and $10 billion. I couldn't see the system getting that money unless there was an Olympics, but I think it is highly unlikely they would receive it all even if Chicago did win.

The only firm agreements with the Fed on costs seem to be for security. What some may fail to realize, is that transit modernization and security go hand in hand.

Well, they sort of did. But MARTA was mostly where they wanted it to be when July 1996 came around. There was the extension in the north to (if I remember right) to Dunwoody, but that was not crucial to the Games traffic plans.

I guess because the extension to Dunwoody was completed about a month before the games thats why I got the idea about it. The decision to do that was made around the time the games were awarded so perhaps the city just decided to get in done in time for the games though like you said it wasn't really crucial to the venues and Olympic traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chicago skyline is wonderful but that is use to access the ability to host Olympic. I mean there a tendency that the need for a less structural Olympic in new frontier with different cultural and human diversity is goin' to be missin'.

The Chicago skyline is wonderful but that is use to access the ability to host Olympic. I mean there a tendency that the need for a less structural Olympic in new frontier with different cultural and human diversity is goin' to be missin'.

No offense, but that is a load of crap.

For one, the Chicago skyline is very diverse, just as the people who comprise this city. We have a beautiful flow of people from hundreds of ethnicities and backgrounds. Out of all the cities bidding, Chicago is by far the most diverse. So to say that will be missing simply because we have 1,000+ skyscrapers is just stupid. It just shows that we get things done, and have a very strong business base here.

Maybe Tokyo should be thrown out, because of their skyline?!?

People don't usually seem to get what am drivin' at. Things like the Olympic shouldn't be US problem afteral it's the greatest country in the world. Rio as a city in Brazil deserves familiarity with these games more like saying "Apple farmer is used to apple but draggin' a bite of apple with a child should be unreasonbly disturbing" .

Rich country cities should be considered glutons in bidding along with those who are less stronger doing everything on the exreme just to have it. I have never buy such idea as intellectually normal, technically correct or morally right, in this so called united world that we live in.

Archived